Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old October 14th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default China finally joined the space race!

Did you hear? China finally put a man up in space all by themselves!

Though it was kinda interesting that this wasn't nationally televised over there. Apparently they didn't want to take a chance it would be embarrasing if it failed.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

They took a page out of the Soviet playbook. This should be a call to the US to get off our astrums and back into space!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #3
jjrakman

I can't believe how lightly people are taking this. This is a serious, serious state of affairs here. The spacecraft that the Chinese used was an updated version of the Russian Soyuse which was similar to the Apollo in capability. What the Chinese have done, is show that they are poised to land on the Moon within the next 5 years, easily. At best, it would take the U.S. 10 years to reach the point that the Chinese are at now. The shuttle is only really capable of making low earth orbits. We have nothing that could make it to the Moon right now.

What the Chinese have done is display a capability that the U.S. no longer has.
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

The returned Chinese astronaut is being hailed as a hero.

JJ, agreed.

And it's our bureaucracy that's in the way. NASA needs a serious overhaul - the reliance on a 25 year-old shuttle is disquieting. We need "private" interests involved, too - if only to keep a handle on costs and make space exploration more cost-effective.

Have you seen the plans for the "space elevator"?

Our sights need to be set on Mars, though, IMHO; and it needs to be a multi-national effort if it is to succeed.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #5
jjrakman

I have heard of the space elevator, but more immediately, were plans to build the X33 shuttle which for some reason were scrapped. It was a shuttle that would go up in one pice, and come down in one piece, thus lowering the price per pound for payload and launch. It was suppsed to have launched in 1999, but never did. I think it had something to do with the aero-spike propulsion system.
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:37 PM   #6
AlphaAce

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman
I can't believe how lightly people are taking this. This is a serious, serious state of affairs here. The spacecraft that the Chinese used was an updated version of the Russian Soyuse which was similar to the Apollo in capability. What the Chinese have done, is show that they are poised to land on the Moon within the next 5 years, easily. At best, it would take the U.S. 10 years to reach the point that the Chinese are at now. The shuttle is only really capable of making low earth orbits. We have nothing that could make it to the Moon right now.

We (the U.S.) need to get serious about space again. This should be a good wake up call.
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #7
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

May I quote from Robert Zubrin "The Case for Mars": We are at the same point like a Roman soldier of the fourth century A.D., looking at an aquaduct with wonder, thinking "We once build that?!"
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #8
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman
At best, it would take the U.S. 10 years to reach the point that the Chinese are at now. The shuttle is only really capable of making low earth orbits. We have nothing that could make it to the Moon right now.

I have to kindly disagree. The Chinese have simply put a man into space -- a feat that the Russians accomplished in 1961 and the U.S. did it a few weeks later with Alan Shepard. (Granted, the Chinese Taikonaut made 14 orbits, compared to their orbits, but I digress).

If we honestly had the motivation to go back to the moon, we could be there by 2006. We have over 40 years of history behind our space program, with 113 successful space shuttle missions, and six landings on the moon. If the Chinese ever manage to get there, the first thing they'll see are U.S. flags that were put there over thirty years ago. That and some golf balls. LOL.

The fact is...we have our eyes set on Mars. By the time China is putting a red flag on the moon, we'll be laying a claim on Mars. Their achievements will be short-lived and insignificant in comparison. I agree that NASA needs to have a housecleaning and that private companies need to get more involved in space exploration. In truth, these things are happening now and the development of a Reuseable Launch Vehicle (RLV) is underway, sponsored by private corporations. And yes, the shuttle is designed for Low Earth Orbit (LEO), but we're already working on it's replacement and much more.

It does concern me that the Chinese are pursuing space exploration. Their interests in military applications will be a wake up call for the U.S. and will get us back on track. It will likely take a Chinese moon landing to get us engaged in a space race again. However, we have the will, the technology, and determination to beat them to any goal in this solar system and beyond. And if they decide to get testy with us, we do have the capability to put weapons in space and fry their rice.

Popular Science just published a book called "Space: 2100." If you want to see what's on the drawing board, I highly recommend it. It will make you feel good about our efforts and gives you something to look forward to this century. :p
jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #9
JediMasterGynac
Bad Email Address

Well, I thought it was great news. This is definitely the type of push all the people of the world need to get. Let's face it folks, most of us want off this beautifull orb for one reason or another. I personally would love to have one chance to experience true zero-G! Of course, I'd like the beautiful orb to still be here when I returned!
JediMasterGynac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 05:06 AM   #10
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

Actually, I think China has more than the capability to go to the moon.

Quote:
However, we have the will, the technology, and determination
The technology, but not the will. I've seen your government continually cutting funding for Nasa, even when the fact that China was aiming for space became public knowledge (nearly 3 years ago, now). Nasa doesn't have the will, simply because it's dominated by "good old boys" who aren't treating it as a competetive organisation. They aren't set to land on Mars for at least... oh, 10 years minimum, and probably 20. China, on the other hand sees getting to the moon as a source of supreme national pride, a chance to say "we're one of the big boys now". I can see them well on the way to the moon by the end of the decade, especially considering the fact that a lot of the advances they made to the stock Soyuz they bought from Ruissia, adding half the size again and giving it more power. Even the part that they left up has power and the ability to remain as a satellite.

Unfortunately the Chinese are also operating on a theme of military superiority, which is why I don't make these predictions with much levity. They want to be the #1 in space. Getting to the moon will give them that. I think the CHinese more than any other nation have the capacity to actually get to and exploit the moon, rather than just landing on it and taking home some rocks. The US and NASA need to get off their collective arses and actually work, instead of relying on 20 year old experimental vehicles. Oh yes, and never forget that. The shuttle is an experimental vehicle, not a production orbiter. It was never meant to fly for this long.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #11
chez1701
Shuttle Pilot

Glad to see they can affored a space program, since everything is made in China!

Love the Chinese !But it's still comunist soceity. I'v lost faith in ower space program, oh wait what program....??

" It dosen't matter how or why, as of this moment WE ARE AT WAR!"
chez1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #12
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

I worked in China for some time. Left with mixed feelings. It is a modern soceity with a comunist head. Very difficult to tell what's inside the mind of the Beijing leaders.
Let's go to Mars and let's go there quick.
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #13
chez1701
Shuttle Pilot

Yes let's go to Mars & all of mankind must do it together!

" It dosen't matter how or why, as of this moment WE ARE AT WAR!"
chez1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:39 AM   #14
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

I cann recommend reading Robert Zubrin's "The Case for Mars" or visit the Mars Society:
http://www.marssociety.com
It's clear that only a combined effort of all mankind can go to Mars.
Old November 11th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Yes Senmut I agree.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #16
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Proximo
Nasa doesn't have the will, simply because it's dominated by "good old boys" who aren't treating it as a competetive organisation.

They want to be the #1 in space. Getting to the moon will give them that.

The US and NASA need to get off their collective arses and actually work, instead of relying on 20 year old experimental vehicles. Oh yes, and never forget that. The shuttle is an experimental vehicle, not a production orbiter. It was never meant to fly for this long.
1) Well, these "Good ol' Boys" have done pretty well over the last 40+ years. It's true that they are a govenment-funded dinosaur, but nobody is going head-to-head with them. They'll leave the competition to the private sector...and they'll end up with the technology anyway through government contracts.

2) Actually, that would make the Chinese #3 in space and #2 on the moon. If they want to be #1 at something, then they need to beat us to Mars. That's not going to happen.

3) I hardly think the Space Shuttle is an "experimental vehicle." Enterprise was the experimental vehicle/prototype. Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour served their purpose as production vehicles.

Personally, I'm not worried about the Chinese. Let them get all cocky, until they suffer an accident or other serious setback. When the Brits actually do something in space, then you can all get on your collective soapboxes, point fingers at us, and call us "stupid yanks."
jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote