Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > All About Models
Notices
All About Models Information on making models, real or CGI. Tutorials as well.
Requests and questions should be posted here.

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Default Wilco Models Prop offer

If you havent' followed the New Moon Props thread, I have contacted the guy who is Wilco Models, initially for Monolith, to see if UI could get him the Languatron prop kit, since he has had trouble getting in contact with him.

What I got offereed was this, If I provide a list of how many kits (available kits will be listed below) He'll see if he can give me a deal on the bulk order.

So, I'm opening this up to the CF crew here.

Edit - I'll keep a running tally on what people are interested in so far. including the possible interests. (also including one more of each for me)

Blaster - 6 lasers
Recharge cylinders - 5 sets
Languatron - 4 Units

Looking good for just 24 hours

What Wilco Models offer is:

Solid Resin Laser pistol -
(live Ebay acution from Wilco models) http://cgi.ebay.com/Galactica-TOS-Co...3A1%7C294%3A50
The regular price for the kit is $30 as listed here.

The kits are usually either 2 parts, or 3 parts. (2 parts kits are composed of the Main pistol [including the trigger] and the emitter front, 3 kits have a seperate trigger)

Also offered are Recharge cylinders, in sets of 3. I will have to confirm what he charages for these, but I wouldn't think that much (I have gotten a deal on the pistol and cylinders the last time I ordered a couple of them)

The pistols are cast in a Dark grey resin, which helps hide wear when using it for costuming. (it's annoying how obvious white resin is when the paint scratches lol)

the final offering is a Resin Languatron kit.

This is a photo of a finished piece, But I can tell you what you'll get. The main body and the false "lights" are all one piece solid Resin (mine was white resin, we can hope new kits are int he same dark grey/black resin) And then each computer key is a seperate piece that fits into the keypad area. There is no graphic to put into the area, and mine is currently blank. Also, you'll need somethign to add the "langutron" to the prop, if you choose to do so.

I believe the price for the kit is $30, but I'm hoping that if we get enough of these, we can knock that down.

So, who is interested, and what would you like? as of right now, I'm just asking for solid interest, I'll give Wilco the numbers and he'll reply with the costs. It's not till that time that I'd start collecting for the order.

Also, remember that I'll be getting a very large box from wilco and I'll send the orders out from my place. so I'll ask for an additional cost for shipping. (everything would leave me VIa Priority mail)

And for a personal offer, if you'd like to get in on this and don't think you could do the assembly and painting, I can do it for you, for a slight fee(basically I only cover materials cost)

Thanks everyone, and feel free to ask questions.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Default Re: Wilco Models Prop offer

Put me down for 1 pistol and 1 languatron
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #3
jjrakman

I might be interested in a pistol, depending on the price.
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm in for a languatron and recharge cylinders. I might add on a pistol as well before the final numbers are in.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Capt. Lunaryn
Bad Email Address

I'd be in for a Blaster and recharge clips. That Languatron looks pretty interesting too.

Namaste
Capt. Lunaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

edited the first post to keep a running tally.

I'll keep updating the numbers for everyone. I have included the possible interest comments. I'm liking the numbers so far.

For those getting lasers, if you want, we can opena new thread about finishing the gunbelts

Old February 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

DOH! I forgot about the recharge cylinders...I'll a set of those too.

So for me:

1-Pistol
1-Langutron
1-recharge cylinders set (I think there are three individual cylinders all together right?)
[edit: Okay I re-read the original post...got my answer]
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I'm interested in 1 laser and 1 set of recharge cylinders.

A thread/tutorial on how to assemble and paint the laser would be awesome as well as a "how to finish your belt" thread. Do you have any estimated time as to when you'll put in the order/need money/ship things out?

Thanks!
Mieal Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieal Deneb View Post
I'm interested in 1 laser and 1 set of recharge cylinders.

A thread/tutorial on how to assemble and paint the laser would be awesome as well as a "how to finish your belt" thread. Do you have any estimated time as to when you'll put in the order/need money/ship things out?

Thanks!
I'm going to let this thread stay open for about 3 more days. I can tel you that if everyone who has even expressed interest does order, then we have a damn good order.

I'll be very honest, Wilco is a little slow on the order department. It can take a bit of time to get the order once it's placed. But I'll tell you now, I've spent well over $2,000 with them and have never been disappointed (except for the wait) Most of these were Star Wars blaster kits for star wars costumers. (and myself as well) The reason for the delay is Wilco is a 1 man operation, and the man is active duty Military. (he's stationed right by his house) and this is a garage operation.

as soon as I get a responce from I'll post the details, contact everyone who has expressed interest and start collecting for the order. (say about a week, week and a half till I start askign for a monetary commitment)

as soon as I recieve the order form wilco (and I'll be updating the thread with status) the individual orders will be sent out within 3 days of me getting the stuff. (if anyone would want me to finish the props, I'll give a timeline then)

Finishing the blaster is easy. Basically you will have to sand down the back of the emitter (the "muzzle" part of the laser) to make it level, and thern sand down the extra matterial at the front end of the laser body.

This is not the actual Wilco Blaster, but it's one of the many clones of it out there. (The original molds come from the BSG.ORG laser originally offered about 10 years ago now) You will level off the front, and then glue the muzzel onto the laser. The biggest difference

This is the Wilco kit. If the Kit has a seperate trigger (the 2 I ordered last year had the trigger molded onto the laser) then you level the back end of the trigger and glue it onto the trigger area.

Finishing the rest of the gunbelt can be a new thread. I'll open that later

Old February 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I can certainly understand the wait time. I sew costumes on commission, and am a one-woman operation on top of being a stay-at-home-mom to 2 (soon to be 3) little ones. Monolith can attest to the fact that it takes me a while to get down my list of costume commissions...I'm currently working on his project after several months of him patiently waiting.

As long as there are no worries of never seeing your things, I don't mind the wait. Quality is worth the wait.
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

gunbelt write up is to be found here - http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...029#post281029

Short on pictures, but if you need more, I'll disassemble my belts and put it together on camera for you.

Old February 28th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

What you wrote up is quite helpful, Reaper. Thanks!
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #13
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Since I haven't built a Wilco version of the pistol yet, I can't vouch for how easy it will be. However I've built three other versions based on these same molds and I can say that it varies in difficulty based on how well it is cast and the resin itself. That said, the other kits from Wilco I have built have been an absolute dream. Thin flashing without a whole lot of air bubbles.

The biggest pain for me on my original laser was the groove between the grips. There were some problem areas in there I had to work at with a small file. That and making sure the emitter cap is straight! That was the most time consuming part of the whole thing.

I recommend going with automotive paint. It has just the right amount of shine to it. Not a whole lot, but not totally flat.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #14
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

these days I almost exclusively use auto paint, from the grey primer to the black overcoats. Although I do use a clear coat which sometimes screws with the shine issue.

Old February 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #15
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Ah yes. To clear coat...or not to clear coat. In the end I did it in hopes of protecting the paint. I don't know about you, but I didn't see much of a difference. Next time around I think I'll just skip it.

What color did you go with for the grips? I used a cordovan color that came out pretty cool!

Thought I'd post some links since I'm ordering some new supplies (in anticipation of some new kits!).

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/gyr/gyr491406.htm

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFP27&P=M

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

having costumed with resin prop blasters for close to 10 years now, I have found the clear coat does buy you a little time, but in the end, you will have to repaint a costuming piece every couple of events. even holster wear on it will require the touchups. And let's face it, for pictures you'll draw the weapon. I know I do alot.

It's also easier in Star Wars to have good vs evil pics, cause there is a nice split of costumers on both sides. Unless Cylon Armor goes down in price ALOT, we'll have to hope Stormtroopers will let us square off against them lol.

for my grips, I actually used a enamel paint I found in a hardware store. It was for touch ups. It was is Nut brown. The company who made it is Plasti-kote. But the bast black is auto paint lol.

Old February 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I'm not afraid of sanding and filing. My 1:1 R2-D2 has quite a few resin detail parts and some of them required some elbow grease. I usually use JBWeld to fill gaps and air holes. I have a set of needle files a lot like the one in that link. They come in VERY handy for small resin work.

I used auto paint for my R2. There isn't anything that has the depth and shine like auto paint, I think. The only things I don't clear coat for him are the silver/aluminum things because it turns it to flat grey. Everything else was clear coated about 4 times.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #18
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieal Deneb View Post
I'm not afraid of sanding and filing. My 1:1 R2-D2 has quite a few resin detail parts and some of them required some elbow grease. I usually use JBWeld to fill gaps and air holes. I have a set of needle files a lot like the one in that link. They come in VERY handy for small resin work.

I used auto paint for my R2. There isn't anything that has the depth and shine like auto paint, I think. The only things I don't clear coat for him are the silver/aluminum things because it turns it to flat grey. Everything else was clear coated about 4 times.
1:1 R2? Is that a picture of your build on your blog page?

I suppose that would be a bit more involved than a pistol! Right on! I've not used JBWeld before, but I hear good things.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #19
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

LOL, no, that's not my R2 in my blog profile pic with me. If that was my R2 I'd be rich because my name would be George Lucas! That is the ILM R2-D2 that was made for Episodes 1, 2, and 3. I got to "meet" him at Star Wars: Celebration 2 because he was a special guest to the R2-D2 Builders' Club Room (I didn't have a droid then, but I was still a member and it has it's perks!). If you'd like to see my R2, you can visit the blog I created just for him: Artee Dootoo

I've had a lot of help making him, but the details were all me. He's still not 100% complete, but he's getting there. The major amount of stuff to be done is mostly unseen like the RC stuff I plan to do. Just basic things like moving around (forward, turns, backward, etc.) and dome rotation. I'd also like to RC the front holoprojector and his lights and sound. Right now his sound is activated by a mic that picks up sound, when he hears someone nearby, he "speaks". His lights are just controlled by an on off switch and a 9 volt battery.
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #20
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

ok people, prie info is now posted, see here - http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...525#post281525