Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 20th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #151
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Default Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic

The preview of the Unlettered Battlestar Galactica 1880 has come out. It has Giant City destroying Cyclonic Centurians. Think Terminator: Salvation. It will be dreadful, not even worth a penny.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:58 AM   #152
JLHurley
Warrior

The preview: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/...actica-1880-1/ . Just when I think I've seen everything, along comes giant, Transformer-sized Cylons shooting human-size Cylons out of the palms of their hands.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:19 AM   #153
Eugenia
Bad Email Address

After ordering the BG Classic Annual from the local comic specialty store, it arrived and I picked it up. Anyway, my comments on the Annual (which keep in mind I have this bias concerning Baltar.)

VAGUE SPOILER/HINTS AHEAD:

For the artwork, it was well done but kind of clunky in spots. I preferred Chris Scalf's which captured the visual design of the series even if he couldn't use actor likenesses. I guess the biggest thing I missed is that the artist (Kewber Baal) was clearly using John Colicos's likenesses but didn't capture that demented look in the actor's eyes or the whacked out smile. (I loved those scenes in the series. When Colicos got into scenery chewing mode, no set was safe...)

For the story (by Robert Place Napton), to me there was a place where it dragged during the early flashback section which then picked up when it started to tie in with the actual series. (My reaction may have been influenced by a fanfic in which Baltar was from Scorpia and the motivations for his later betrayal of the Colonies weren't dealt with in such a summary manner and even acquired the grandeur of a Shakespearean tragedy.)

I was left with the questions of "Okay, why was his father such a jerk?" and "Why didn't sensors on the Galactica go off?"

SPOILERS AHEAD:
Spoiler

Was that menage a trois a deliberate reference to Gaius's menage a trois?

Really, Dynamite guys, I watch Futurama. I ended up making Head-In-A-Jar jokes.

Overall, I'd give it a B+. It had merit, some clever tie-ins with the series, and good artwork.
Eugenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:40 AM   #154
Jayworld
Warrior

Haven't picked up the new Dynamite "Steampunk" yet; may do so; but now a quandary. Went to the local comic book shop about 2 weeks ago to get the last two issues (#11, #12), and saw that #11 was sold out and they just had #12. I skipped buying it, as I won't read ahead until I read in sequence, so bummer, I have issues #1-10 and the annual and now the collection is incomplete…..
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:17 AM   #155
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Ebay!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:21 AM   #156
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Ebay, Amazon or another comic book shop!
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #157
Jayworld
Warrior

The problem with eBay, that because of the huge increase in shipping, there are no good comic deals anymore. One single issue can cost $3.99 and up just to ship… Bummer. Will keep looking.
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #158
JLHurley
Warrior

Very, very brief interview and some artwork (not new, I think) re: the steampunk thing:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/...punk-bsg-1880/
Old June 29th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #159
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

You know... I think this is a fun and cool offshoot idea. And we have a male Starbuck, a daggit, and numerous others that show it's based off our beloved original series. I'm glad to see interest in having a little fun with the original concept like this. Sky Pirate Captain Starbuck and his humanoid/daggit co-pilot? Cool!
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #160
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia View Post
After ordering the BG Classic Annual from the local comic specialty store, it arrived and I picked it up. Anyway, my comments on the Annual (which keep in mind I have this bias concerning Baltar.)

VAGUE SPOILER/HINTS AHEAD:

For the artwork, it was well done but kind of clunky in spots. I preferred Chris Scalf's which captured the visual design of the series even if he couldn't use actor likenesses. I guess the biggest thing I missed is that the artist (Kewber Baal) was clearly using John Colicos's likenesses but didn't capture that demented look in the actor's eyes or the whacked out smile. (I loved those scenes in the series. When Colicos got into scenery chewing mode, no set was safe...)

For the story (by Robert Place Napton), to me there was a place where it dragged during the early flashback section which then picked up when it started to tie in with the actual series. (My reaction may have been influenced by a fanfic in which Baltar was from Scorpia and the motivations for his later betrayal of the Colonies weren't dealt with in such a summary manner and even acquired the grandeur of a Shakespearean tragedy.)

I was left with the questions of "Okay, why was his father such a jerk?" and "Why didn't sensors on the Galactica go off?"

SPOILERS AHEAD:
Spoiler

Was that menage a trois a deliberate reference to Gaius's menage a trois?

Really, Dynamite guys, I watch Futurama. I ended up making Head-In-A-Jar jokes.

Overall, I'd give it a B+. It had merit, some clever tie-ins with the series, and good artwork.
There is a major contradiction between this annual and the TV series. If Baltar was turned into a Cylon, why is he limping in The Gun on Ice Planet Zero? Baltar was injured in Lost Planet of the Gods. In the annual Baltar believes the Cylons put a chip in his head as Gaius did in the re-imagined series.
Old August 30th, 2018, 06:49 AM   #161
Jayworld
Warrior

Well, to help this post along, since we are missing 4 years; I went to the local Half Price bookstore about a year ago and picked up the mini-series of "Death of Apollo" to read and was really turned off due to the lack of research into the original series as well as poor writing (i.e. the characters in the comic did not act/speak like the characters in the series). In addition, Apollo was portrayed as RIGHT HANDED in the comic. That was the first early sign that the research was off. I do NOT recommend this series. And I own all of the Dynamite Classic Battlestar series and mini-series, too.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:29 AM   #162
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Battlestar Galactica vs Battlestar Galactica Trade Paperback due out 16 Oct 2018

https://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Ga...dp/1524107204/

ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:30 AM   #163
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Exclusive: John Jackson Miller on Dynamite's new laser-blasting Battlestar Galactica series

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...lactica-series
Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:37 AM   #164
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
Battlestar Galactica vs Battlestar Galactica Trade Paperback due out 16 Oct 2018

https://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Ga...dp/1524107204/

I leafed through this on-line where comic books are uploaded. I was so horrified and disgusted with what they did at the climax that it sadly reinforced every bad impression Dynamite has given me since they first started doing anything related to Galactica.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 09:51 AM   #165
Senmut
Strike Leader

For those of us too unmotivated to get one, care to lay a basic outline on us?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 02:10 PM   #166
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It's a convoluted crossover tale of both BSG entities, real and GINO. It's focused on our Pegasus with the real Cain. Iblis is in there too, but I really can't summarize the whole plot. Suffice to say the final issue ends with among other things Sheba shot dead and dying in her father's arms and a grief stricken Cain blowing up his ship.

These people at Dynamite have just never gotten it. They're as dumb as they were 12 years ago when they did their first Galactica comic and while I'm sure there's been an occasional good story from them (the one that retold Baltar's story that ingeniously reconciled the original concept of him being beheaded and surviving was the best), their overall track record has been bad for the property on all levels IMO.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old September 3rd, 2018, 02:41 PM   #167
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

BSG vs BSG was awful on almost all levels. I've liked a few of the Dynamite books, and the new one sounds promising so far. But over all they've been disappointing. What they really need is an editor who is knowledgeable about BSG .

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 04:06 PM   #168
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternityOrange View Post
BSG vs BSG was awful on almost all levels. I've liked a few of the Dynamite books, and the new one sounds promising so far. But over all they've been disappointing. What they really need is an editor who is knowledgeable about BSG .
Anyone who can draw well...care to illustrate the VS? If I do say so myself (and I do say so!), we have amassed a collection of stories FAR SUPERIOR to ANYTHING that Hollyweird could have excreted, under the guise of BSG. I urge everyone to have a look.
An editor knowledgeable about BSG? Look no further than THE FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old November 17th, 2018, 04:44 AM   #169
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

John Jackson Miller’s Writers Commentary on Classic Battlestar Galactica #1

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...r-galactica-1/
Old January 18th, 2019, 07:46 PM   #170
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Battlestar Galactica: Counterstrike Trade Paperback available for pre-order ahead of the 23rd July 2019 release date:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-...dp/1524111376/

https://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Ga...dp/1524111376/
Old February 3rd, 2019, 01:15 AM   #171
Jubal
Warrior

Two Adamas? Again? That BSG vs. BSG universe is dreadful as it is. I'm not wasting any more cubits on that story.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 05:22 AM   #172
JLHurley
Warrior

IMO the latest BG series by John Jackson Miller is easily one of the best if not the best BG comic we've seen so far.
Old April 15th, 2019, 09:39 AM   #173
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
It's a convoluted crossover tale of both BSG entities, real and GINO. It's focused on our Pegasus with the real Cain. Iblis is in there too, but I really can't summarize the whole plot. Suffice to say the final issue ends with among other things Sheba shot dead and dying in her father's arms and a grief stricken Cain blowing up his ship.

These people at Dynamite have just never gotten it. They're as dumb as they were 12 years ago when they did their first Galactica comic and while I'm sure there's been an occasional good story from them (the one that retold Baltar's story that ingeniously reconciled the original concept of him being beheaded and surviving was the best), their overall track record has been bad for the property on all levels IMO.
Exactly. Which is why it should always be in the hands of the fans.
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:21 AM   #174
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHurley View Post
IMO the latest BG series by John Jackson Miller is easily one of the best if not the best BG comic we've seen so far.
Which series was that one?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 04:26 AM   #175
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Which series was that one?
It's the current monthly (or semi-monthly--the latest issue is VERY late) series. Here are some links:

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...actica_Classic

http://majorspoilers.com/2018/07/18/...920379129856:0

https://robojapan.blogspot.com/2018/...attlestar.html

It's currently at #3, although there was also a #0. Covers are reminiscent of Marvel's series back in the late 70s.
Old August 27th, 2019, 10:16 PM   #176
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The best I could say is "eh", which is the highest rating I could ever give to anything Dynamite has done. This one didn't drive me to white-hot anger like their first idiotic effort in 2006 did (setting a five issue story in the middle of Saga that simply doesn't fit at all with the dynamics of the characters) or that repulsive crossover story with the other entity. But it keeps leaving me unsatisfied because in this format of nothing but the perpetual short miniseries, never once is there any attention paid to developing the characters or exploring the character relationships as we saw them develop in the stories. All I end up seeing are characters presented in their one-note cliche templates thrust in a wall-to-wall action story where inevitably I'm going to see and learn more about the aliens (as was the case in this story) than I am about the regulars of Galactica. I'm not knocking action, because goodness knows comic books as a visual medium thrive on it, but it's always struck me that the Dynamite mindset when it comes to Galactica has been to treat it as kiddie-fare only. So that means we'll get nothing but action and battles from start to finish and cool drawings of vipers......and nothing in the way of introspection and development in character relationships like Adama and his children, or Apollo-Boxey, or Apollo-Sheba or Starbuck-Cassiopeia. And that to me does not represent tapping into the meaning of what makes Galactica special.

I have never understood why those who get tasked with writing Galactica stories professionally, whether for novels or comics, just never get it when it comes to the essence of what makes Galactica more than just a great sci-fi action series. But then again, I suspect they're largely influenced by the propaganda that was parroted endlessly 15 years ago and really think this is what the fans of Galactica want. And no matter how much we try to point out otherwise, they just don't listen.

I have enough of an open mind to keep an eye on what comes, but honestly no one has gotten Galactica "right" in terms of an official project since Realm Press (and Max Press had started out promising before they fell apart). I wouldn't rate anything that's been done by Dynamite as superior to the good fanfic we've had over the last 25 years from a multitude of authors and which I'm happy to say is still continuing. (though I will make perhaps one exception for the Baltar story in the 2014 annual which *did* get things right in a one issue bit of introspection).

Last edited by Eric Paddon; August 28th, 2019 at 02:55 PM..
Old August 28th, 2019, 02:04 PM   #177
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Hi Eric,

I deleted the first sentence of your post as I suspect you may have inadvertently linked to a website which has unlicensed uploads of copyrighted comics. You may not have realised that at the time...but CF shouldn't have links to infringements of copyright.

Move along...move along...nothing to see here everyone!
Old August 28th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #178
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Understand the position of not linking it. Though I have to admit it's surprising it hasn't been shut down given the scope of what they have if that's the case.

I did go through "Death Of Apollo" for the first time as well and had to shake my head at that one. Adama openly referring to Starbuck as an "idiot?" And Apollo is NOT the sort of person who would go into mope mode over not being able to fly. But what's even more ridiculous is how that story is taking place ten yahrens after the Destruction and everyone seems so utterly stagnant as if nothing's changed in their lives since day one (and Boxey, while being drawn to look older is still wearing the same outfit he had in Saga!).

Then I re-read the first Max Press series and was blown away. The characters and the interactions were just perfect. And maybe it's no surprise that the reason is because that and Realm's comics were written before there was a GINO because more than ever it's become clear that TOS by Dynamite is filtered through a GINO lens and perspective of TOS.

Old October 12th, 2019, 01:12 PM   #179
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: Read the entire first chapter of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: (CLASSIC) COUNTERSTRIKE trade paperback

https://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive...ade-paperback/
Old October 26th, 2019, 03:54 PM   #180
Croft2018
Shuttle Pilot

I've read a couple of the Dynamite BG comics and was not impressed with the stories or the artwork, which made everyone look beefy and built like Swarzenegger.

I was especially disappointed in their rethinking of Galactica 1980; absurd.
Croft2018 is offline   Reply With Quote