Old October 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Battlestar: 1999

Created a new youtube page for the Battlestar crossover projects I've been doing. Uploaded the Apes and the V crossover trailers to the site. Also uploaded part one of the Battlestar/Space 1999 crossover. The difference with this one is instead of a trailer, this is an actual episode. Due to working with limited episode materials some of the jumps stretch it a bit, but I think it comes out to a somewhat coherent story.

Part one is uploaded and I will try to upload a part each day. The episode runs about 43 minutes, so I'm guessing around 5 parts total.

here's the site link:

http://www.youtube.com/battlestar1999

Will post when the new parts are uploaded.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #2
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Default Re: Battlestar: 1999

Par 2 is up, and 3 is processing, so should be up soon. Part three is one of my favorites as it is where Alpha faces the Cylons.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Wildcard

Amazing stuff as always. Many thanks for the incredible efforts!
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

massive job .. great editing

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Nice work David.

Fun stuff!
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #6
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Thanks guys.

I did find there are some odd flash frames in the youtube videos. This has to deal with the field settings for the low resolution render, and those problems are not in the full resolution version. One example is in part 5 where the cockpit window of the eagle appears a frame after the background. Hate seeing those things there, but for now I'll leave them as is. Going to try and get a copy of the DVD format to fanedit.org if they would want to host the file.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:42 AM   #7
theo
Bad Email Address

Location: Horst in Limburg thats in the tail off the Netherlands

Whaw, amazing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post
Going to try and get a copy of the DVD format to fanedit.org if they would want to host the file.
I hope so, got the rest of the fan-edits you created and love to ad this one too.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 04:27 AM   #8
Wildcard

Quick question about fanedit.org. Are you going to make your edits of GOIPZ and War of the Gods available to Rapidshare? It really is so much easier to download. In any case, thanks again for the wonderful work.
Old October 31st, 2008, 04:36 AM   #9
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Dave, what compositing program are you presently using?
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:54 AM   #10
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Hey there Wildcard... not sure about the rapidshare. I actually did not set that up on the site, someone else did, so I'm not sure about that one.

And hey there Titon, I'm using After Effects for the compositing, which I've been using at work for many years now. In fact for all the edits After Effects has been the main compositing programs. For editing I have used different programs, trying them to see how they work. First was mainly Premiere, but for the more recent ones I troed Womble Video Wizard, which is nice because it uses the VOB files directly without conversion. However it is limited to one video track and two audio tracks. I prefer Premiere, but it gets irritating converting the VOB files. However I'm on an older Premiere, so maybe the newer ones can do that.

I've read about some other compositing programs out there, but have yet to really get into any others.
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

just watched all 5 parts of this and I have to say it was great!! very well done!!!

I love how it all fit in together

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #12
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

I've made a few minor revisions and hope to get that online at some point. Nothing story changing, but one part of Adama saying "This is Commander Adama" leading to his big speech, to help smooth out the intro. Also added a clip of the Raiders approaching the moon and then the Centurions inside as Moonbase Alpha sends out its initial radio signal.

When making this I figured it would be a little rough in the transitions, but it actually goes a little more smoothly than I thought it would.

Really glad you like it. It is fun to make. A great escape for me from the work day. Long live Battlestar Galactica (1978)
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #13
KJ
Strike Leader

Its interesting stuff as always David!

But i want to know, if you'll use that kind of animation of the CGI models, using the rendered CGI elements you've created to build something like; animated BSG edit DVD menus of anykind, for a future DVD fan edit of yours later on?

The CGI Galactica there, would look perfect on some menu screen you could easily create, rather then the silent ones so far. along with other usual DVD basic stuff like; a scene selection menu and the like. Along with your 'Effects Reel of 'Deleted/Unused' scenes and the extended edit itself etc.

Think that would be kinda neat!

But i hope to see more HD CGI graphics/displays added to any future BSG edits. its onderful stuff you've done so far, but i noticed as of late, everybody's producing high end stuff. Even though i know rendering CGI models and making them takes skills and ages to do. Can i ask if you'll be making the future fan edits, far more high-end.

Or would you need a more powerful computer to pull that off! Just asking is all.

Laters

KJ
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #14
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Hey there KJ,

I'm not planning any thing as of yet, although if I would I think it would be a more in depth high end re-edit of Saga of a Star World. And that would be taking more time with it, and asking help of others who might be interested. The other edits, as often said, were more for my fun and actually a relaxation for me. So I never took it to the level of high demands on the work.

But I think if I were to try something at some time it would be a bigger re-edit of Saga. Probably trying to replace all the effects and enhancing as much as possible. However, even though you asked for them many times, I don't know if I'd go as far as replacing bridge displays. You never know though. One thing I'd like to do is make the main window also a display window where it can display tactical information.

Even with that all said, and with it in my mind, I am not planning on doing it any time soon, if any time at all. However the battlestar model created by Folkrum (did I get that name right?) has started me thinking of some possibilities. Who knows... as with anything time will tell.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #15
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
Hey there KJ,

I'm not planning any thing as of yet, although if I would I think it would be a more in depth high end re-edit of Saga of a Star World. And that would be taking more time with it, and asking help of others who might be interested. The other edits, as often said, were more for my fun and actually a relaxation for me. So I never took it to the level of high demands on the work.

But I think if I were to try something at some time it would be a bigger re-edit of Saga. Probably trying to replace all the effects and enhancing as much as possible. However, even though you asked for them many times, I don't know if I'd go as far as replacing bridge displays. You never know though. One thing I'd like to do is make the main window also a display window where it can display tactical information.

I know, Battlestar may have other great episodes like LL, LPOTG, GOIPZ, Hand Of God and War Of The Gods. But its the pilot that set everything up and had that epic awe-inspiring quality in it, that kinda demanded that BG's universe was always be huge in scale. And it came with such an original concept that makes it appealing, even so far as TV shows go today its still quite powerful and interesting to explore and think about.

I know many of us 'shot' our load on ideas far as an edit of the pilot, and if and when "Universal Studios" get off their asses and make an official remastered series of BSG on Blu-Ray disc DVD with either an all-new updated; 5.1/7.1 DTS surround sound home cinema audio track, with the deleted scenes restored and spruced up. I'd like to think that plenty of ideas for BSG to be remastered on a new Blu-Ray DVD released, has only barely been scratched by yourself and us fans and that an official version would be beneficial for all concerned i.e., fans/studio!

Yeah i'm sure we all wouldn't mind seeing more added to the pilot, but only to see Battlestar Galactica given a 'up-to-date' coat of paint as it were and see that with new CGI effects added to it that the concept of the classic series was quite groundbreaking indeed, and she had the chance the effects of the 78 series would've only enchanced what we all envisioned as fans and sci-fi afictionardos.

Later DK. I'd also like to say in passing that i downloaded the 'Battlestar 1999' off of youtube and converted it and joined the files to watch that fan edited episode you constructed (my internet woes won't stop me from viewing what you pulled off) neat stuff as always. Hope you re-use that G80 landing bay shot in your next "Saga" re-edit or any such fan edit of yours where you could show more of the Galactica's 'landing bay' minus Dr Zee's ship of course, and paint in an extension of the Big G's landing bay pod from your own creations!

Loved a ton of the new effects. And finally a CGI Galactica, you've got to add those underneath shots in your future edits, they look sweet. How long did it take to render David?

Also, the bit about the "animated graphics" displays. Sorry if i've gone on about it too many times, but i've noticed alot of great sci-fi fan edits are enhanced by video graphics/holograms on video screens and whatnot. I love to see a remastered BG use'em as well*. You've got the BSG 'blueprints' in some capacity haven't you? I've got a book on Computer Gif's and PC graphic animation, i'll PM you the name and whatnot if you want David, it might help you out.

Laters

KJ

P.S. Damn you Universal, whats up? Dave Kerin's done more than you have with so much less and he's is only one man?!!! For classic BG. You could all stand to learn from what we all know and what i'm about to say, o.k.

Battlestar Galactica (1978 series) spruced up with CGI and given a high-def remastering on Blu-Ray DVD in 5.1/7.1 with a DTS track and original episodes.... = $$$$$$ (check the sales of the classic series if you don't believe the fans)