Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 29th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #1
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Thumbs up OT - "The Foresaken" (Space: 1999)

(The following may be a shameless plug for a book by a dear friend of mine, but the recommendation comes based on the quality of the product itself.)

Powys Media has released the second officially-licensed "Space: 1999" original novel, "The Foresaken" by John Kenneth Muir. ("Space: 1999" was a 1975-1977 U.K. science fiction series by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson/Fred Frieberger.)

Following on the release of the first novel, "Space: 1999 - Resurrection" by William Latham, which chronicles an untold adventure during season one (known by fans as "Year One"), "The Foresaken" reveals the unseen, untold story of what happened between Year One and Year Two. (Character changes, new directions.)

I have incredible praise and admiration for the skillful storytelling of the first book. It preserved the original series and injected new elements which complimented the old. The writing style was magnificent; the characterizations and chemistry between them were perfect.

The second book faced an equally daunting, almost Herculean task of standing tall in it's own right. In my opinion, Mr. Muir succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

I judged the book on writing style, creativity, continuity, characterizations and the story itself. Friendship aside, I think I weighed things more strongly than I normally would, as I had expectation levels from this fan of that original science fiction series. I wondered if Mr. Latham's work on "Resurrection" could be matched, let alone surpassed.

He surpassed any and ALL expectations I had. The bar was high; he cleared it -- and set a new record in the process. Bravo, John. You did an *incredible* job. Truly.

The foreward by Prentiss Hancock (Paul Morrow) is a masterwork as well. One wonders if Mr. Hancock missed his calling as a writer; his profound words will strike chords within many "Space: 1999" fans and non-fans alike.

More information about "The Foresaken" can be found at:

http://www.powysmedia.com
http://www.space1999.org
http://www.space1999.net

The book is published by Powys Media, an independent publisher. (ISBN# 0-9677280-2-9) The cost is higher than mainstream paperback books, but exceptionally well-worth it. This release features two different covers, too. I paid for the cover with Moonbase Alpha, although I admit to liking the other cover as well (and may purchase it later).

(Note: "The Foresaken" was just released, although it has to be ordered directly from the publisher at present.)

Mr. Muir is known for his analytical guides to various television shows (with publisher McFarland Press), including "An Analytical Guide to Television's Battlestar Galactica." (Which Richard Hatch enjoys reading.) While some folks here have had issues with that book's content (such as the lack of interviews), I would ask that this new book is given your serious consideration. His writing style is very tight, very imaginative and truly excellent in staying close to the original "Space: 1999" series -- and adding new viewpoints about developments within that universe.

Michael

michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 08:05 AM   #2
dah66
Warrior

Michael,

Thanks. I ordered the book today (moonbase alpha cover).

Dave

dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #3
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Thanks, Dave.

Btw, I had ordered a copy of "Space: 1999 - Resurrection" for a family member who thought "Space: 1999" was arguably the worst science fiction series ever aired, next to "The Starlost," in their opinion. This person took a chance in reading the book -- and wishes "Space: 1999" had seen this level of writing back in the 1970s. I just recommended "Space: 1999 - The Foresaken" to them. The lack of book store availability is hurting this novel; hopefully it'll see wider distribution soon.

I dare say, even these books are too advanced for anything that networks would dare to air these days. Sheer brilliance.

(And while I enjoyed "Space: 1999" during the original run and own all of the DVDs, I do wince at many items within the episodes, moreso in Year Two. (lol) It's all good, though. )

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #4
dah66
Warrior

Default Speaking of Year 2...

I bought DVD Set 5 last week. I was watching The Exiles and my 11 year old daughter wandered into the living room at a particularly cringe inducing moment.
"What are you watching?" she asked.
"It's Space 1999," I said. "It's about these people stuck on the moon..."
"Are those salt shakers?" she asked.
"No. Those are missiles. Well, not really. There are people inside and..."
"Whatever," she said as she left the room.
A little while later the funky 70's music kicked in and my wife entered the room.
"What are you watching?" she asked.
"Space 1999," I replied.
She rolled her eyes and quickly left the room.

Maybe it's a guy thing.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #5
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Default Re: Speaking of Year 2...

Quote: