Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM   #31
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquad2001
Yes Amberstar, I'm home and LOVE IT HERE! You're wonderful and it's nice to have you as a friend. Glad you like it. It's affordable too It's got heat and air, leather bucket seats, complete communication surround sound, adjustable harness for just that right feel with full turbos engaged, tinted laser-proof glass, and just the right shade of orangie-redish color to the stripes. All for the low cost of 95.00+shippingand handling.
But, does it go from zero to .15C in less than 6 microns? More importantly, does it have plenty of cargo space and does it come with a 6-disk CD player?

You just can't go from an Shuttle to a Viper without keeping some of the creature comforts, now can you?

Those are some great pics of your models - It almost makes me want to dig one or two out of the closet and start modeling again....

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:19 PM   #32
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

Quote:
FRIDAY!!!! YES... She'll fly FRIDAY the 25th!
Right on! I'll bring my camera and my blaster, then.
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:55 AM   #33
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
But, does it go from zero to .15C in less than 6 microns? More importantly, does it have plenty of cargo space and does it come with a 6-disk CD player?

You just can't go from an Shuttle to a Viper without keeping some of the creature comforts, now can you?

Best,
Bryan
Hey! Don't be giving out the specs of the Cobra now...
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Old November 24th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #34
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Understood Warrior. And THANK YOU all for the killer compliments. Will post here later today. Thanks Gemini!
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #35
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

Was that the crack of a whip I heard in the background there, Michael?
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #36
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Mike,

Nice to see you around here. Its been a while.

Great to see the DeSanto ship moving along and the recruitment poster would likely get me to sign up.

Did you ever finish up the Frazetta painting you were working on a while back?

Sandy
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #37
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks
Was that the crack of a whip I heard in the background there, Michael?
Why yes, it certainly was. Kewle that you are here, I'm about to get moving on the completion of the DeSanto Viper after I have my tea. It's just too early.
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #38
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
Mike,

Nice to see you around here. Its been a while.

Great to see the DeSanto ship moving along and the recruitment poster would likely get me to sign up.

Did you ever finish up the Frazetta painting you were working on a while back?

Sandy
SANDY!!!!! Long Time. Tried to even write you a time or two, but maybe you just missed it.
Everyone, please salute The Cylon.Org Founder Sandy, that originally interviewed me on the site about the project that is finally seeing the light of day. Sandy I'll p.m. you with phone number, it's an honor to be greeted by you, and I wish you to post an up-date on this project over at Cylon.Org.
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #39
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Ladies and Gentlemen please give a round of applause to mine and Terri's and probably Griffworks will come into this endeavor also, NEW MODEL COMPANY.......(SMEGMODELS) Christened on this day of Nov, the 24th 2005.

And the above pick, for your entertainment as well as knowledge, a MAJOR KEY signature Colonial Shuttle detail part!
Let's play a game, let's see if you can identify this part, and what model kit and scale it comes from? C'mon modelers. This could become a LOOOONG thread.
Oh, and the Canopy for the DeSanto model is about finished, pics soon.
Old November 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #40
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

UPDATE
We are casting the wings and vertical stabilizer, and replicating necessary greeblies. Pics soon.
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #41
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Congrats on the new company.....and the progress displayed here.....best of luck with the future........
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #42
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Congrats on the new company.....and the progress displayed here.....best of luck with the future........
Thank You Ernie. We appreciate that.
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #43
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Put me down for two to start. Will then hopefully work up to a squad. Add a pair of 45 inch battlestars to.

Jim
Old November 26th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #44
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman
Put me down for two to start. Will then hopefully work up to a squad. Add a pair of 40 inch battlestars to.

Jim
Just sent you an e-mail. Get in touch this evening if you wish to be placed on the pre-order list. Thanks Dilbertman.
Old November 26th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #45
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

As for everyone wishing for update pics, we are ironing out any detail problems and should have pics of casted pieces withing a day or so. Pre-orders will be then accepted following to get the real kit castings rolling into reality.
Old November 26th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #46
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Here are master build up pics. Before molding. Canopy master as well as vertical stabilizer and left wing, showing panel lines and intake details.

OH.. and by the way, yes panel lines are now being added to the fuselage (nose) area, I promise, it will be detailed. Similar to TOS but like an advanced version as it is.
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #47
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
SANDY!!!!! Long Time. Tried to even write you a time or two, but maybe you just missed it.
Everyone, please salute The Cylon.Org Founder Sandy, that originally interviewed me on the site about the project that is finally seeing the light of day. Sandy I'll p.m. you with phone number, it's an honor to be greeted by you, and I wish you to post an up-date on this project over at Cylon.Org.
Glad to see the work continues. I don't own Cylon.org anymore. Some fine people are running that now. I do own AllGalactica.com and would like to do up an article similar to the CA one there. I've got a bunch of stuff going up there in mid-Dec.

Send me the PM and I'll give you a call.

Nice to see you around again. Its been a while.

Sandy
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #48
Griffworks
Builder of the RTF

So, is it done yet? Is it done yet?
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #49
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Cool WC for BS2001 (LOL... BS - pun intended!)

Hi Jeffrey,

This is Terri posting for Michael. He's working on the last wing and said we will cast the wings and vertical stabilizer very soon, like in a few minutes! I'm going to help make the mold (multitasking while doing laundry!)

Like most projects, this is taking longer than expected. I think Michael is usually too optimistic when he talks about how long something will take for him to finish because he truly enjoys it so much that he doesn't realize how much time is passing!

Gotta run downstairs and add fabric softener and then will make a mold I hope!

Terri WC
Old November 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #50
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Hello all. Terri is downstairs in the process of making the mold for the left wing. 1st casting should be revealed in a few hours.
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #51
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Photos.....Molds in the making tonight and they are really well done. All visible falws in parts have been brought up to near perfection for smoothness and sharp detail. Terri really assited in the clay build up of the left wing and assisted in perfect measuring... she's a chemist and stuff!
The molds are being formed and here are silly pics of such. Think I'll do the next wing standing in mold box instead of flat, give your opinion of whih you think would be best.

will present pics of molded components later tonight.
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #52
WarriorChemist
Shuttle Pilot

Thumbs up This is fun!

I feel a little bit better now about being able to actually contribute to something! This is our first time to make a mold and since the supplies were so expensive, I was worried about wasting even a drop! It's great to get that "first time" over with so that we now know what to expect. I estimated how much we'd need by calculating the volume of the box itself. The actual piece being molded is just a wing, so I ignored its displacement of volume for the sake of being conservative. My estimates told me that we'd have barely enough mixture to do the vertical stabilizer mold. After Michael poured it in there was a little bit left. Then I remembered that he had made a little box of greeblies to mold, so I ran and got it and he filled it up. Even if the greeblie box hadn't been ready, Michael would have had time to make one because there's a 30 minute working time for the molding material.

Next we'll do the actual casting of the parts and I'm a little nervous about it working out. The work time after mixing the liquids together is very short. Again, I don't want to waste any because the stuff is so expensive (even after getting it at 40% off.) I do expect the casting to be easier than the acutal making of the mold.

Michael will post pictures of the casted vertical stabilizer, hopefully later tonight!
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #53
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I's sure like to see an article on how to do this type of modeling... *notes that the Articles section of the site is rather... empty*
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Old November 27th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #54
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
I's sure like to see an article on how to do this type of modeling... *notes that the Articles section of the site is rather... empty*
Hey Warrior. Molded pics are about to be posted. It is DONE! Success has been achieved in our casting.

SUCCESS
Old November 27th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #55
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Molded Master Parts to be further refined for the sharpest detail we can achieve.
Terri did a great job, and learned alot about (pot life)
This is going to be a great kit, and original. Keeping TOS dream alive and well. And yes, the sprue and any flash will definately not be there when you get you kit.

Old November 27th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #56
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Here is a pic of the (final) canopy shape. Am building it now at 12:55 a.m.
This is cool I'm happy with it after making about 5 before coming to this.

Old November 28th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #57
WarriorChemist
Shuttle Pilot

Default Um.... yeah

Quote:
Terri did a great job, and learned alot about (pot life)
Yes I did. I had done too much reading about other products and for some reason thought that the resin we were working with had a pot life of 3 minutes - not 90 seconds! It turned white while we were still pouring. It's quite amazing to watch it change so rapidly!

Last night I ordered supplies in bulk and the new stuff has a longer pot life. I think it's around 5-7 minutes. Of course the set-up time takes hours rather than minutes, but that's a sacrifice we're willing to make. I also believe that with a longer set-up time more bubbles can escape before it sets.
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #58
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Something you can do to extend your pot-life is to actually chill one half of the resin in the refrigerator. The big trouble with this is the condensation caused by the warm-up inside the container when you take it out. urethanes DO NOT LIKE moisture. Atmospheric moisture is what causes most resins to go bad after a while. ALSO: Have you been privvy to my article concerning urthane resins? If you haven't I will post the text here. Urethanes are your friend as long as you respect them. But if you don't, you WILL get ill.

-Gordon
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #59
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Something you can do to extend your pot-life is to actually chill one half of the resin in the refrigerator. The big trouble with this is the condensation caused by the warm-up inside the container when you take it out. urethanes DO NOT LIKE moisture. Atmospheric moisture is what causes most resins to go bad after a while. ALSO: Have you been privvy to my article concerning urthane resins? If you haven't I will post the text here. Urethanes are your friend as long as you respect them. But if you don't, you WILL get ill.

-Gordon
Yes, if you would, please post your article, so not only I, but others can read it as well. Casting (GREEBLIES) today.
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #60
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Here's the low-down: Urethane, when it cures, releases Isocyanate gasses. Sound familiar? That's because the root word is Cyanaide... poison.

Isocyanates are long-term poisons that build up in your system. Your body will try very hard to get rid of them, but they don't like to go easily. Exposure to them (even regulated exposure) wil eventually cause them to build up in your body and make you ill.

The amount that it takes varies from person to person, and the time it takes to build up in your body varies as well. But over time, you WILL develop a sensitivity to them.

Typical symptoms include: shortness of breath (induced athsma), skin rashes, itching, throat irritation, dizziness, and oddly enough, back pain. Other, less obvious effects are irritability, short temper, and even paranoia.

But like I mentioned, this all varies from person to person.

Example: My boss Dave got a massive exposure to urethane several years ago. He can no longer be in the building when we pour resins or he immediately goes into athsmatic arrest. I have been exposed over the course of 12 years. I get skin rashes, back pains, and athsmatic attacks when I'm exposed. But my boss Mike can work with the stuff unprotected after 12 years and has no obvious effects. On the extreme end, I personally had a friend who committed suicide after long-term chronic exposure. First he tried to commit suicide by police officer. Eventually he just did it himself. His diaries indicated a long-term paranoia that coincided almost perfectly with his unprotected exposure to urethane. Did he have other problems? Yes. But I sincerely believe that the situation was spurred on by chemical influence.

So, how to avoid all this? Easy:

1) get yourself a NIOSH approved filter mask with the biggest, most ass-kicking filter cartridges you can buy. Make sure your catridges are the highest rated ones you can get. They won't completely protect you, but they will help limit the exposure through your lungs.

2) set up your workspace so that you are cross-ventilating to the OUTDOORS. This means you need to have a CONSTANT flow of air running through your space. Clean air must enter at one end and fume-y air must be vented out the other end. Be sure you don't vent right into an area that supplies air to another house or building. Your fumes will just get sucked up and deposited into their space.

3) always wear latex (or if you're allegic to latex) nitrile gloves when handling the urethane components or the mixed combo. Not only can Isocyanates enter your body through the lungs as fumes, but they also affect you through the skin. Be sure to get yourself some of those disposable tyvec jumpsuits they use when they paint cars. It'll keep you from wrecking your clothing.

4) Use and Do all the stuff above. Also: DO NOT do this IN YOUR HOUSE. There is a reason why these things are called "garage kits" by hobbyists. Its getting to the cold seasons of the year, so I suggest you make a spot in your garage and set up space-heaters to keep the place warm. PLEASE... I'm BEGGING YOU. DON'T DO THIS IN YOUR BASEMENT OR HOUSE.

5) If you feel like you've started to show any of the signs of overexposure, you need to get away from the stuff. Take a break from it for at least two weeks. In the mean time, you can exercise and pump your lungs good and hard...run, bike, whatever. Drink ALOT of water. It helps your body get rid of the toxins. And best of all, get thee to a sauna. Especially after you workout. A sauna will force you to sweat alot and encourage your body to expell the toxins that way.

Now, about your resin. If you weren't given a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) when you bought it, you should go back there and get one. Every chemical available to the populace MUST have an accompanying MSDS. It is the law. Read the MSDS carefully and it will probably tell you the make-up of your paint system. If you have any questions at all, just pick up the phone and call the manufacturer. They will be happy to answer your questions about the specific product.

Last but not least: Don't think you're invulnerable because it doesn't affect you right away. Use the protection from the start and you WILL stay healthy.

-Gordon

Closed Thread