Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 8th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default A lost opportunity

That's what I think the Battlestar Galactica mini-series is – a lost opportunity.

Yes, I've been a BSG fan for 25 years plus, but surprisingly I'm not opposed to the idea of a remake, but I'd like a remake that was faithful to the original pilot episode "Saga of a Star World".

I watched the mini-series on a DVD I obtained, and to be fair I found it mildly entertaining. I thought Edward James Olmos and Jamie Bamber were very good in it, Mary McDonnell I thought was lost .

The Kara Thrace character I found to be completely childish with no redeeming features at all, plus the actress who played her annoyed me, which made things even worse.

The effects for the most part were good, except the Cylons at the start and the end were very poorly animated in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm straying off topic.

The thing that really struck me though, was how much it reminded me of other SF films and shows I'd seen, if they'd put in more stuff from Battlestar Galactica but with an RDM spin on it IMO I think I would have liked it a lot more.

I think a lot of the original fans would have liked it if at the start they could have had a voice over that stated somehow a link between the original show and the new one, it would have only taken up a few seconds of screen time, like I said a lost opportunity, for the fans, the new fans and the Sci-Fi Channel.

Sincerely,

Peter
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

Are you talking about a direct link to TOS or using elements of TOS like stating the origin of the Cylons?
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

A direct link that unites the two stories.

Peter
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #4
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I think a lot of the original fans would have liked it if at the start they could have had a voice over that stated somehow a link between the original show and the new one, it would have only taken up a few seconds of screen time, like I said a lost opportunity, for the fans, the new fans and the Sci-Fi Channel.
Exactly Peter. My sentiments exactly. You see it's not about the mini and how good or bad it is. It's hollywood's present appetite to reimagine everything. Hey like i've stated before if done correctly, adhere to the original series run i have absolutely no problem in doing a series based in the future.

Old February 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #5
JLHurley
Warrior

I hear ya, Peter, and I pretty much agree with you on the points you make (especially re: how it was a lost opportunity...)--although, for my part, I didn't need a particular link between the two series so much as more of the original series being incorporated into the remake.

There are definitely some things about the remake that I like and am interested in, but I'd have liked it all the more if it had better captured the original's heart and soul.

Just keep in mind that all is NOT lost. BG's a damn special series--so special, IMO, that a single vision couldn't possibly contain it!
Old February 8th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #6
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Have to concur here. It was a lost opportunity!

I could have lived with a remake closer to the soul of the original, but alas it was more in line with the current Hollywood formulatic remake then anything refreshing or original.

Malkyte
Malkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #7
nccdee
Warrior

But that is what Hollywood all about. Looking at the current trends and culture and then seeing if the can remake something into that image.

"Saving Private Ryan" and "The Blair Witch Project" brought about the idea of documentary/reality filming. Yea, we hear people complain they don't like this style but when money start raking in, it tells the studio it works.

I will not be surprise when the series starts, that on the Rising Star, the entertainment will be "Colonial Pop Idol". :laugh:

The way I see it, there are only three direction for the Studio. The big star get original ideas (where the studio shell out millions just to the writer); to do prequel/sequel/remakes/re-imagining; or go to the Sundance Film Festival and buy already made movies for $1 milliion, then hope it will make $100 million.

And the sad part is the independent stuff is either good or better than the studio stuff.

nccdee
nccdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccdee
I will not be surprise when the series starts, that on the Rising Star, the entertainment will be "Colonial Pop Idol".

Or.......how about "Cylon Eye for the Colonial Guy"?

The new breed of Cylons could give makeover tips to the new breed of warriors!

Boomer: "Oh, Kara - we have a surpise for you...."

Hey, at least it's not assimilation......(ducking)

Bryan
________
ASIAN BOOTY
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #9
Stray Viper
Warrior

This would have all worked if Bryan Singer had stayed on.
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Viper
I don't believe Singer had much of a choice. Fox wanted X-Men completed for the summer release schedule and put BSG on the backburner (later to drop the BSG project). It all came down to economics and Fox wanted/needed a "sure hit" at that time to refill their coffers and satisfy their shareholders.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Oh Crap! Oh Crap! Oh Crap!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Viper
Speaking of Bryan Singer being "on", there was somthing that I wanted to tell you guys and I also forgot to watch last night:

Quote:
Sat, Feb. 07, 2004

TV Today

The Directors (11 a.m.-12 p.m., Encore) - Bryan Singer, currently at work directing the third installment of the X-Men series, is this month's subject. His big break came with The Usual Suspects (1995), which he made while still in his 20s..
Maybe Encore will show it again at another time.....

I'm to stupid to live!
Bryan
________
BEEMAN QUICK CLEANING PELLETS 100CT
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #12
JLHurley
Warrior

No, Bryan, you just have HIGH hopes! But you're not alone...
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #13
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I've said this before it Tom really gave us the breakdown on what actually happened to the Singer/Desanto production. They were already on a tight schedule. They had only a certain amount of time to get things done. If Universal would have listend to both of them from the begining all the mini vs Tos stuff would be a moot point right now. Singer and DeSanto begged Universal to put Galactica back on the Universal production lots. 1, it would have given jobs to people in California, not Canada. 2, Tom wanted to produce the show on the same stages that the original was produced. Basically bringing Galactica back to it's roots sorta speak.

But in the long run blame September 11th which is essance is the gods' honest truth. When September 11th hit all flights were canceled in within a weeks time pushed the production back a month. Without air travel it was virtually impossible to keep the production online in Canada. With this Singer had no choice. His committment to X-Men had to come first. Tom tried his damndest folks but litterly had the rug yanked out from under him. His vision would and could still be spectacular.

Just ask the folks that were there. In the long run you can say we were *this* close. And it would have been glorious. Ever see a room filled with stunned, disbelieving angry individuals? I did.

Old February 9th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #14
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Adding a few more qualifiers to the list: Stunned, awestruck, disbelieving (that the studio was that dense throwing it away), angry, and on the verge of tears. The vision so sweet, the knowledge that it wasn't to be so bitter tasting. The contrast between the depth of DeSanto's 2hr pilot and Moore's 4hr one: there just isn't any comparison. One got the backstory of the original and the other revised a small portion of it and went on their way.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #15
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
The contrast between the depth of DeSanto's 2hr pilot and Moore's 4hr one: there just isn't any comparison. One got the backstory of the original and the other revised a small portion of it and went on their way.
Amen sister! I tell you guys and gals to listen to Tom discuss his vision for the show was just awesome. He had everyone on the edge of there seats and i even heard a few "F" me's from the crowd.

He truely has great vision and knew that he could not recreate the old show. Some of his changes were not readily acceptable at the time to alot of the TOS fans either but his vision was truely incredible. Keeping with the TOS and expanding it above and beyond.

DeSanto even has 3, 5 and 7 year story arcs ready to go. Something Ron Moore hadn't even considered at the time he showed the mini series preview trailer.

Old February 9th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #16
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
DeSanto even has 3, 5 and 7 year story arcs ready to go. Something Ron Moore hadn't even considered at the time he showed the mini series preview trailer.
:cough: he ended the 4 hr mini with all those open potential future plot devices hanging (remember the live action shooting was done by what the end of May/early June?) and hadn't thought of where it would go beyond that....

Looks at other hand: Then there's the guy whose project was cancelled 6 weeks from shooting that already had 3, 5 and 7 yr. story arcs sketched out.....argh.

...the difference between a hireling and someone in passionate pursuit of their dream.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #17
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
That's what I think the Battlestar Galactica mini-series is – a lost opportunity.

Yes, I've been a BSG fan for 25 years plus, but surprisingly I'm not opposed to the idea of a remake, but I'd like a remake that was faithful to the original pilot episode "Saga of a Star World".

I watched the mini-series on a DVD I obtained, and to be fair I found it mildly entertaining. I thought Edward James Olmos and Jamie Bamber were very good in it, Mary McDonnell I thought was lost .

The Kara Thrace character I found to be completely childish with no redeeming features at all, plus the actress who played her annoyed me, which made things even worse.

The effects for the most part were good, except the Cylons at the start and the end were very poorly animated in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm straying off topic.

The thing that really struck me though, was how much it reminded me of other SF films and shows I'd seen, if they'd put in more stuff from Battlestar Galactica but with an RDM spin on it IMO I think I would have liked it a lot more.

Sincerely,

Peter
Peter you hit the nail on the head.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #18
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaster1
Are you talking about a direct link to TOS or using elements of TOS like stating the origin of the Cylons?

Welcome to the fleet Winemaster.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote