Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

View Poll Results: When did you become a Battlestar Galactica fan
Summer of '78 (for non-US theatre goers) 12 9.16%
September 17, 1978 (premiere on ABC) 81 61.83%
Sometime in '78-'79 13 9.92%
When the telemovies ran in the 80s 9 6.87%
Scifi's syndication/marathons in the 90s 6 4.58%
New miniseries premiere 7 5.34%
1979 (or subsequent) theatre run 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #31
Expatkiwi
Just Lost My Cherry!

Default My introduction to fandom

It came on in New Zealand in '78. It was a stripped-down version of the pilot, but it was enough for me to enjoy it, and to see it a couple more times.

Dean

Expatkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #32
sleer

I became a fan when it first appeared on ABC in 1978. They had advertized it all summer and considering it had some quite big stars in it, it was highly anticipated. I still remember Lorne Green appearing on Good Morning America (or one of the morning news shows) and giving a tour of the set. He said that one of the advantages they had over the original Star Trek was their displays actually worked.

Unfortunately ABC seemed to lose interest in the series in early '79 and by the end of the series, had taken to not showing the show every week. I had hoped this didn't mean cancelation but it did. (remember this was way pre-Internet and PCs where unheard of so getting info was difficult) I was very dissapointed as I had just purchased a color TV to watch it. LOL.

About a year or so later is showed up in syndication in rerun. When Glactica 1980 came out it was apparent it was a cheap imitation and it left a bad taste in my mouth. A much as I liked SciFi, I remember changing the channel to watch the "Ropers" (Three's company spinoff) instead of BSG1980. haha
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #33
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I did that too Sleer.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #34
CrysWimmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sleer

About a year or so later is showed up in syndication in rerun. When Glactica 1980 came out it was apparent it was a cheap imitation and it left a bad taste in my mouth. A much as I liked SciFi, I remember changing the channel to watch the "Ropers" (Three's company spinoff) instead of BSG1980. haha
Alas, I even watched (and liked) Galactica 1980. I had the biggest crush on Dillon (not Troy, ironically - after all, I'd been an Apollo nut in the original). Yeah, it was cheesy - but I was only 12, so I'm sure I'll be forgiven. I wouldn't even mind seeing that hit the DVD distribution, strictly for the sake of nostalgia.

-Crys-
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #35
Jayworld
Warrior

I was a fan from the "get-go," at the very first telecast, when I was eleven, and have been a fan ever since. I watched every episode when it was first broadcast, bought all the Mattel 3 3/4" figures as they came out (even the rare Baltar, Gold Cylon Commander, Lucifer, and Boray), bought the Marvel comics series, and when it was cancelled, I cried.

I even looked forward to the "return" in Galactica 1980, and watched every episode, keeping track of the Nielson ratings each week in the Dallas Morning News, and hoping (unfortunately) that the ratings would increase to keep the show on.

Yes, I've been there at the start, I have all issues of all the comics from all the companies, all the card sets, all the action figures (except for Trendmasters...the talking Cylon was cool)....

Jay
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #36
sleer

I do remember watching the premier of Galicatica 1980 when they simiulated an attack on Los Angeles by Cylon Fighters. I immediately realized they had taken footage from the early 70's disaster flick "Earthquake" and had imposed fighters over the top of the film. So instead of buildings falling due to earthquakes, it was due to Cylon blasts. LOL
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #37
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

I distinctly remember missing the pilot, so I can't say Sept 17. But I did get to see it eventually, and most of the episodes on a 9" Black and White TV. (That's one without colors, fer you young 'uns!)
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:23 AM   #38
CylonLucifer

Default A bit older than most here, I guess

I was 28 when Battlestar Galactica appeared on the television. I had just returned from Germany after getting out of the Army and was getting reacquainted with the U.S. television format (commercials during shows seemed odd after German television which had uninterrupted shows and then blocks of commercials). I saw an advertisement for this new show and, it being science fiction, decided to watch. The opening theme grabbed me and Battlestar Galactica became a weekly visitor to my home.
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #39
Rowan
On Vacation...

Wow you guys have phenomenal memories there is no way I can remember things in such detail from that far back. I was 14 that year and all I can remember is still being high off of Star Wars and burning for more sci fi, Galactica came at just the right time when I saw the commercials for it I got so excited (and I get very excited about such things) by the end of the premiere I was definitely hooked every week I would get my tape recorder ready at least an hour in advance and put a fresh tape in it check it repeatedly to make sure it was working and then sit glued to my seat for the entire hour no one was allowed to talk to me or interrupt on pain of death (not literally). I do remember one week I’d done something bad (which was often enough) and my mother decided the punishment was to miss BSG well that was one spectacular fit I threw I think she gave in in the end because I really scared her, too much passion (the French Canadian part of me – Dad) for her more demure British nature.

Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #40
Ethan
Bad Email Address

Default First theater run

My uncle took me to watch the first theater run.

I have been watching reruns ever since. I have the series dvds.

. . . tons and tons and tons of Lego vipers . . .

I did not create the viper in this link, but my vipers could have competed.

http://www.chuh.org/Students/Bram-La...pace/o-cv.html

Ethan

Hey . . . . . . what happened to the ships of light smiley?

On top of that, here is another Lego viper I found.

http://www.slave-one.de/ville_tuominen/viper01.html
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #41
Antelope

I looked forward and watched on the night it premiered on ABC. I watched every episode of TOS and BSG80 when it originally ran on ABC. When Saga of A Star World came out in the theatre I went and saw it in "Sensaround". I can still remember what that theatre felt like when the Atlantia exploded. I bulit a viper model and my brother had a cylon raider. Once the shows stopped I never saw them again until SCIFI started to run them again in the late 1990's. I still watch them whenever they are on and I am home, which has not been very often the last few years. I am not the kind that buys the DVD and watch it over and over but that's the way I am with all shows. I watched the mini twice and look forward to seeing all Galactica incarnations.

When I watched BSG1980 I enjoyed the show even though it was not what I would have preferred. I guess I am a bit more loyal to the "franchise" than to "TOS only". I guess that may go a way in explaining to a purist why I like the mini. I would love to see a Continuation made but I actually think the Desanto script is weaker than the mini. I like all Galactica has including those most would rather forget.
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #42
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
This is a getting to know you sort of question, so I'm putting it in the TOS forum so everyon can answer....
Thanks jewels! ..........summer of 78 for me.
Old February 21st, 2004, 07:50 AM   #43
Tibbetts
Warrior

I didn't become a fan until the Sci-Fi Channel aired the entire series in the 1990's. If it wasn't for the SFC I wouldn't be a fan today.

Dragon Lord
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:12 AM   #44
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I didn't become a fan until the Sci-Fi Channel aired the entire series in the 1990's. If it wasn't for the SFC I wouldn't be a fan today.
Man was i ever excited when the Scifi channel was announced. The only thing i was looking forward to seeing again was Battlestar Galactica. When it finally reappeared on tv after so many years it was like being a kid in a candy store again.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM   #45
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberstar
I know how you feel Shinningstar. My brother used to tie firecrackers to my GI Joes and watch them explode! I was soooooo angry with him.
I just wish I'd thought about the exlax thing back then.
Lucky for me he didn't find my BSG Toys!
LOL!

Amber
You mean 'LUCKY" for HIM ................it took my brother a week to
'heal' from that

but that was the last time he ever dared to 'touch' my things
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:40 PM   #46
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
Man was i ever excited when the Scifi channel was announced. The only thing i was looking forward to seeing again was Battlestar Galactica. When it finally reappeared on tv after so many years it was like being a kid in a candy store again.

It was like that for ME too.
I definately prefer the Oringal BSG as do my kids who's
favorite ep is Fire in Space and besides seeing Apollo and
Starbuck suspended on the wires ...............having Boomer
SMASH Boxey's Mushey

Oh they like Living legend and the hand of God Too but
not as much as they Loooooooooove Fire in space.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM   #47
trwnew
Shuttle Pilot

As for the memories. I was working patrol duty, the night of the premier, and stopped by a fire station in my patrol area and watched it with them.
trwnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:15 PM   #48
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwnew
As for the memories. I was working patrol duty, the night of the premier, and stopped by a fire station in my patrol area and watched it with them.
That's great Trwnew ..................welcome to the fleets.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:05 AM   #49
trwnew
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
That's great Trwnew ..................welcome to the fleets.
Thanks, I been here since the board reopened and been lurking.
trwnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #50
Airwolf

I dont really remember when i became a fan, i guess i was only born in '77 and like alot of things that were aired alot in the 80's on brit TV it was ingrained into me and i have loved it ever since. But i was young and dont remember the first time i saw it, just a recollection that i wanted to fly a viper!
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #51
Rowan
On Vacation...

great stories guys tell me more
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #52
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

By pure luck I caught the first hour of the premiere on ABC on 9/17/78 when I was nine but after that first hour I was still committed to watching Part 2 of "King Kong" on NBC and I recall switching channels and not being able to see the finish of that when the news interruption happened at 10:30 and forced an early bed for me (so even if I had stuck with Galactica I would not have seen the finish!)

It was when I caught part 2 of LPOTG that I suddenly became hooked and stayed that way ever after. It helped that there was such a barrage of storybooks and tie-in products to help me get immersed in all things Galactica at the time.

I remember the frustration of missing Part 2 of "Living Legend" because my Dad had already gotten tickets to a Rangers hockey game at Madison Square Garden, so my sister had to fill me in on the details. I remember being restless and bored by the Terra trilogy and then enjoying "Hand Of God" immensely and waiting for what happened next to come. 25 years later I am still waiting.

G80 was a nightmare that left us upset over the changes, but at the time because it was Galactica I stuck with it, waiting for it to improve. Then after that was cancelled it was no longer hip to say you'd been a Galactica fan since it seemed like yesterday's bread by that point.

About 1982-83 when the first syndicated rerun package appeared I started watching again, always skipping the episodes I didn't like. That meant I always skipped WOTG then (I didn't like it at the time because for me, Baltar's capture meant a downturn in the series) and the Terra trilogy. Today, I have a different opinion of WOTG but not the Terra trilogy. It was at that time that I actually started making my first attempt at a fanfic story at age 15, but at the time I operated under the naive belief that events had to be reconciled to G80 so it was set within that framework. I'm glad nothing of that story survives today!

After about 85-86 was when the reruns disappeared for the most part and it wasn't until Sci-Fi brought the series back in 1992 that I got reintroduced to the saga again, and also felt inspired to write my first major fanfic story. I enjoyed doing that and enjoyed watching and by 1995 I'd found the first discussion groups on the net and an outlet to share my writing so I remained hooked for life.

So while the fan interest had some waning years at time, I can still say that I was to a degree present at the creation on 9/17/78 and I've always been glad for that.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #53
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I have no idea when I got into Battlestar Galactica as since I was born in 1981, and my father was always a big fan, it was always watched in the house....

Before I was born, the first date my father took my mother on was to see Battlestar Galactica, with the surround sound setup at the cinema....

He always said how fantastic it had been, he had been totally mesmerised by it, and the sound.... When talking about the date, he would go on and on about the film they saw !!!

Despite my mother not being too impressed by anything, not being a scifi fan or "LOOK AT THAT SPACESHIP GO....WOW..." fan she decided to keep going out with my father.....

Had she have been put off (as she said she nearly was) then Battlestar Galactica would have prevented me from ever existing !!!!!!!

Sadly my father is no longer with us, but thanks to him I am now a Battlestar Galactica fan, and my poor mum still has to put up with it :-)

Ernie90125
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #54
gmd3d
Major

well I was a fan from 1978-1979 when it arrived in Ireland after seeing the adverts on TV of course she was not to happy about having to take me , but kids can be very persistent as parants out there well know.
Anyhoo we went.. I got hooked and my mother well she said she liked Lorne Greene and I think Captain Apollo most of my childhood friends also went to see the movie It was great we all pretended to be Viper pilots on our bikes all the summer. untill Star Wars ESB came out in the 80s we played BSG,STARTREK,BUT STAR WARS was the biggest thing at the time so it was all Xwings and lightsabers.

sorry i was over come with nostalgia I will try to control myself.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #55
PlaidSquadron
Bad Email Address

I was 13 when the first show aired. I already had the book (and was reading it surreptisously in math class before that fateful sunday)

I even came home early from school on that Friday and watched the Dinah Shore Show to see the interview with Lorne Greene. They kept saying "We will show you previews later in the show." The last two minutes of the show had some previews and all the cast standing around on stage. I was so hooked, I didn't care! I wanted the show to start right then, and to wait two whole days was pure torture!
PlaidSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #56
betacloth
Bad Email Address

I first liked BSG from when the original aired (1978). I think I have seen all of the episodes, but I have not seen it since the original aired. I did go see Richard Hatch in person when he came to town. I have one of the promo photos of him in his BSG uniform. :-)
betacloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #57
JustinB
Bad Email Address

I am nearly 30 and I was hooked on Battlestar Galactica when I was 6 years old. I looked forward to every Saturday at Midday tyo watch it. I used to pretend with my friend were were Colonial Warriors (with me being Apollo) and their brothers were cylons. As far as I am concerned BSG Rocks.
JustinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #58
Apollon

I've been a fan since it aired on ABC back in 1978.
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #59
doc834
Bad Email Address

I have been a fan for a very long time, compared to some the younger folks out there. It was a great alternative to Star Trek and Star Wars.
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:04 AM   #60
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB
I am nearly 30 and I was hooked on Battlestar Galactica when I was 6 years old. I looked forward to every Saturday at Midday tyo watch it. I used to pretend with my friend were were Colonial Warriors (with me being Apollo) and their brothers were cylons. As far as I am concerned BSG Rocks.
hey justinB just like me we used to play galactica all the time but i was Starbuck
and my mate was Apollo we built a large model out of wood for the galactica and viper we redesigned from world war 2 aircraft looked nothing like the vipers but was good enough for us.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote