Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #61
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Default Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic

The May sales figures for this issue are out. It is at #153 sold 14,835. It has beat issues 20 and 21 of the ongoing Star Trek reboot comic book and the re-launched G.I.JOE.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #62
JLHurley
Warrior

#153 really isn't that bad considering it isn't a Marvel or DC title.
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #63
Senmut
Strike Leader

Don't let Imperious Leader hear about this!!!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #64
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

I'll check with my local comic book store, it looks good.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM   #65
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Issue #2 is out this week.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:24 AM   #66
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
Issue #2 is out this week.
Great! I got the first one the other day, no chance to read it yet, but it looks cool!
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #67
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Issue #2 preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=17019
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #68
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

I just read the first one & liked it a lot, but is it just me- it seemed so short, or did I just read it REAL fast?
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #69
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Part two was just as good as the first, maybe better. D'n'A really know how to do last pages!
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #70
PaulGTweed
Warrior

New Battlestar Galactica Classic #2 is at 187 10,503.
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #71
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #6

Written by Dan Abnett, art by Ceaar Razek, cover by Clint Langley.

What is it like to be a member of the Battlestar's valiant crew? Find out in this issue as we follow the highs and lows of one duty shift aboard the Galactica... just a day like any other in the fight to keep Mankind alive!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on Oct. 16.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battlestar6a.jpg (302.5 KB, 18 views)
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #72
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Just read issue #3 and it maintained the high standard of the previous issues.
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #73
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #6

Written by Dan Abnett, art by Ceaar Razek, cover by Clint Langley.

What is it like to be a member of the Battlestar's valiant crew? Find out in this issue as we follow the highs and lows of one duty shift aboard the Galactica... just a day like any other in the fight to keep Mankind alive!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on Oct. 16.
Love their cover art! I know its probably the 5th grader in me talking, but there is just something so cool about the classic designs. And this cover slightly reminds me of the Frazetta art, though a bit closer to the show in design. Maybe its the sharp angles and lines of the figures.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #74
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Battlestar Galactica #3 is listed at 193 at 9,200. Issue 3 was predictable in the older Starbuck and the re-appearance of the Galactica at the end. The use of re-imagined BSG references 'Toaster' for the Cylons. Note: to Dynamite: If no re-imagined BSG references didn't exist in the original BSG TV series run. THEY SHOULD NOT APPEAR IN THE CLASSIC BSG STORIES! Dynamite being late to bring out this issue. Dynamite is still Fracking the original BSG Fans. The writer for this story arc is writing the sequel to Dynamite's Galactica:1980 comic which has the completely implausible destruction of the Galactica by a primitive earth nuclear missle twenty feet over the White House in Washington D.C.
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #75
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGTweed View Post
Battlestar Galactica #3 is listed at 193 at 9,200. Issue 3 was predictable in the older Starbuck and the re-appearance of the Galactica at the end. The use of re-imagined BSG references 'Toaster' for the Cylons. Note: to Dynamite: If no re-imagined BSG references didn't exist in the original BSG TV series run. THEY SHOULD NOT APPEAR IN THE CLASSIC BSG STORIES! Dynamite being late to bring out this issue. Dynamite is still Fracking the original BSG Fans. The writer for this story arc is writing the sequel to Dynamite's Galactica:1980 comic which has the completely implausible destruction of the Galactica by a primitive earth nuclear missle twenty feet over the White House in Washington D.C.
Interesting duplicity of thought there.
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #76
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Interesting duplicity of thought there.
Sales are supposed to GO UP, NOT DOWN. #1 was 153, issue #3 at 193. Dynamite is losing money with each issue they bring out. Hopefully, Issue #5 will not resolve the Time Warp storyline. I have my doubts.
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #77
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I don't mean to bust your chops, but the duplicity to which I refer is:

1. You obviously don't like that this comic series, whilst based in original series lore, is using terminology from the new series....apparently some kind of sacrilege or taboo.

2. You use a term that has been given a bit more expletive meaning in the new series to describe how you think original series fans are supposedly being treated by Dynamite....a term that has origins in the 1978 series, albeit with supposedly less profane intent.

Ironic?
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #78
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I don't mean to bust your chops, but the duplicity to which I refer is:

1. You obviously don't like that this comic series, whilst based in original series lore, is using terminology from the new series....apparently some kind of sacrilege or taboo.

2. You use a term that has been given a bit more expletive meaning in the new series to describe how you think original series fans are supposedly being treated by Dynamite....a term that has origins in the 1978 series, albeit with supposedly less profane intent.

Ironic?
1. DUH!!! In the final issue of Dynamite's Galactica:1980 adaptation Adama is Bill Adama and Baltar is Gaius Baltar. The Colonials NEVER HAD FIRST NAMES IN THE ORIGINAL SERIES! The actual translation of their names from Aramaic would be Bill son of Adama. Not Bill Adama. Giving them first names and using re-imagined series references should be kept out of original BSG Canon because they ARE NOT TAKING PLACE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. Adding the re-imagined series references is not attracting their fans bacause to them the original series is a glorified cartoon. 2. Glen Larson using Frack was his way of getting past the TV Networks Standards and Practices as well as the 8:00 p.m. timeslot regulations. If he had used his original Frak spelling Standards and Practices would not have allowed him to use that word on television.
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #79
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

No need to shout.

Your second point is something I had honestly always considered...that perhaps "Frack" was Larson's way of getting around the S&P's and censors of the time. A lot of original series fans would not agree with that supposition however. Many seem to think that it was more like "Oh, darn" rather than the meaning it was given in the recent series.

And only Poppa Larson knows for sure what his intent was.

But yes, Larson had to actually tone down a few things in the original series so that it could air in the late '70's. The relationship between Starbuck and Cassiopea was meant to be a lot steamier...or at least, their little fling in the launch tube in SASW was. The enemy had to be robotic, because the networks didn't want a high, organic body count on a week to week basis. And of course, they had to have a kid and a cutesy robot companion to appeal to children (of which original Galactica's audience was heavily comprised).

No, the original series characters did not have first names, and should not have in an ongoing comic series. But cross wiring is not unexpected.

Personally, I always had a problem with singular names. What if you're in a room that had three Apollo's in it, and someone calls out "Apollo!"? You're gonna get three heads that turn. It'd be just like trying to get a cute girl's attention in a crowd. "Lisa!......Lisa!" Three or four chicks might turn in the direction of the caller, and a couple of them might not be the attractive one the caller whose attention the caller is trying to get. Granted, in the original series, someone could've said "Apollo, Son of Adama!" and that might yield the more desired result, unless there were two sons of Adama in the room with the name "Apollo".

Dawg and I came up with a viable solution, which I used in my "Galactica: The Last Battlestar" story...my own retelling of the fall of the colonies and humanity's exodus to the stars.

The formal name for each character is fairly long, and is translated from ancient Kobol. The name basically cites the person, their mother and father, of the planet (enter planet here), of the House of Kobol. (And all Colonials are "of the House of Kobol". The informal version is just their singular name.

But, with any naming convention, you can still run into the problem of multiples in a room. At least this gives a bit more effort toward differentiation.
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #80
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
1 Adding the re-imagined series references is not attracting their fans bacause to them the original series is a glorified cartoon.
I feel bad for Ron though, I hear he busted his arm patting himself on the back after the finale...
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #81
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
Sales are supposed to GO UP, NOT DOWN. #1 was 153, issue #3 at 193. Dynamite is losing money with each issue they bring out. Hopefully, Issue #5 will not resolve the Time Warp storyline. I have my doubts.
It's more common than not that sales on comic series go down, unless there's a major change on the creative team and even then it would have to involve a popular writer and/or artist coming aboard. Plus, that #193 ranking doesn't necessarily mean anything. If #3 came out the month a lot of comics debuted (or a company like Marvel or DC had a company-wide event such as this month's 3D covers from DC), you're going to see a comic drop in ranking even if its sales were the same or higher than the previous month. What's important is the actual number of copies sold, and that unfortunately is also down from 10,505 to 9,200, a -12.42% drop according to Comic Book Resources. What sold less: DC's Arrow series (a digital to print title based on the TV series) and Green Team; Dynamite's Shadow/Green Hornet; IDW's GI Joe, Judge Dredd and Transformers; Bonzo's Simpsons Comics; and lots and lots of other titles. No way will DC hold on to a title with the numbers that Arrow and Green Team are pulling in, but whether Dynamite considers BG's #s adequate to continue the series...I have no idea.
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #82
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloisall View Post
i feel bad for ron though, i hear he busted his arm patting himself on the back after the finale...:d
love it!!!
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #83
Jayworld
Warrior

I don't post much on the board anymore; lurk some, hopeful for "new" news.... Had to post on this topic, though. I've been a BG fan since the original series came out in 1978; I am also a comic book collector and fan. I am enjoying the new Dynamite limited series so far and have all three issues as released. The Alex Ross cover artwork is spectacular, as is all his work. I own the Marvel original BG series, the Dynamite Cylon Apocalypse, most of the Realm Press, etc. I think the "tongue-in-cheek" #3 cover homage to the original Star Wars early release poster (I owned this poster when it came out) was pretty cool, too.

I understand the purist problems with this current Dynamite series, but I am enjoying it, as it is mostly Classic Battlestar. Not a big fan of Dr. Zee, but when Galactica 1980 came out, I loved it, because it was Battlestar, although not as good as the original first series (some of you will take exception to that, but to a 13 year old at the time who was greatly disappointed abou the original series cancellation, Galactica 1980 was decent); was bummed when it was cancelled, too (yes, I own the 1980 DVD set and the Cylon head classic series set). I enjoy them because they are Battlestar.

With the lack of news on any new BG projects and especially the on-again/off-again Singer movie, this current comic is a new BG story that I can enjoy.

I would say go out and buy and and show that you are interested in this through sales. Most comic shops have all three issues still in stock (although probably very low on #1).
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #84
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Issue #4 was great again!
Old September 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #85
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I don't post much on the board anymore; lurk some, hopeful for "new" news.... Had to post on this topic, though. I've been a BG fan since the original series came out in 1978; I am also a comic book collector and fan. I am enjoying the new Dynamite limited series so far and have all three issues as released. The Alex Ross cover artwork is spectacular, as is all his work. I own the Marvel original BG series, the Dynamite Cylon Apocalypse, most of the Realm Press, etc. I think the "tongue-in-cheek" #3 cover homage to the original Star Wars early release poster (I owned this poster when it came out) was pretty cool, too.

I understand the purist problems with this current Dynamite series, but I am enjoying it, as it is mostly Classic Battlestar. Not a big fan of Dr. Zee, but when Galactica 1980 came out, I loved it, because it was Battlestar, although not as good as the original first series (some of you will take exception to that, but to a 13 year old at the time who was greatly disappointed abou the original series cancellation, Galactica 1980 was decent); was bummed when it was cancelled, too (yes, I own the 1980 DVD set and the Cylon head classic series set). I enjoy them because they are Battlestar.

With the lack of news on any new BG projects and especially the on-again/off-again Singer movie, this current comic is a new BG story that I can enjoy.

I would say go out and buy and and show that you are interested in this through sales. Most comic shops have all three issues still in stock (although probably very low on #1).
Write something for the VS?
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:07 AM   #86
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Write something for the VS?
I'm sorry, what is the VS?
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #87
JLHurley
Warrior

Diamond Comics Distributors lists issue #4 at #262 on the charts. (DC's highly successful villains month--offering both 3D and 2D covers of every title--pushed practically everything down the list.) Copies sold dropped from last month's 9200 to 7955.
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #88
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I'm sorry, what is the VS?
Virtual Season. Currently finishing up VS3.

http://galacticafanfic.com/stories/season2.html
Old October 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #89
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Alex Ross's cover to #5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSG05-Cov-Ross.jpg (666.5 KB, 13 views)
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #90
Senmut
Strike Leader

Lucifer taking over???