Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old May 31st, 2009, 03:48 AM   #61
Lara
Squadron Leader

Default Re: G80-06:The Return of Starbuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
Dr Zee wanted to know who his mother was, what about his father, could it have been Iblis? Starbuck certainly wasn't Z's father.
Haven't watched it for a while (and I tend to zone out ANY bit with Dr Zee in it..) but vague recall says the story was told in response to Zee's 'where did I come from' question, so the implication was that Angela was his mother and Starbuck his father??

Feel free to howl me down (with proof, of course :-) ) as I am hedging with a claim of faulty memory.... which some say should happen to the whole of G80

BTW, I always thought a more suitable answer to Zee asking where did I come from would have been the cabbage patch as at least one version of him looked just like those Cabbage Patch Kids dolls.. first they made muffit in the image of a daggit, then they fiddled with cylon centurions, and then they got this idea for a twee little moppet... trying to avoid the excesses of the hector and vector models

Baaad Lara...

Cheers,
Lara
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #62
LZaza
Warrior

Okay, Starbuck was most definitely not Zee's father! Shudder
The very thought of Starbuck somehow being involved in an immaculate conception is actually hilarious. And you know if they'd done "the deed", then our flyboy would have most definitely mentioned it.

Did anybody else notice in the scene where Starbuck is rebuilding Cy, that he's referring to a manual? Wasn't sure if someone had a subtle sense of humour over that, or if the Cylons actually kept a copy of "how to rebuild your fellow centurions" in their Raiders.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #63
Senmut
Strike Leader

The question, from Zee though, makes a certain sense. He wasn't there, of course, and mom didn't stick around to fill him in on things. Bucko isn't available for comment, so a certain degree of wonderment is understandable.
Now, how about a DNA test?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #64
LZaza
Warrior

Of course by this time the network would do anything to try to make that annoying kid likable, even going as far as to intimate that Zee could possibly be Starbuck's child.

Looks at Zee. Looks at Starbuck. Looks at Angela. Shakes head.

You've been set up, Bucko. You should have known it was coming when she ate all your rations.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #65
Athene
Galactica's Princess

I really like that episode.
It's one of my favourite G80 episodes.
I confess I like Galactica 1980
*I think I might have said that already...*
I also feel it ended well...
Has anyone else seen the fan edited version where Starbuck returns to the fleet?
I've got that saved on my computer.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #66
LZaza
Warrior

I loved the fan version of that. Now that was the way it should have ended . . . either that, or Boomer or Apollo going back for him. I refuse to believe that Apollo was dead at that point.

What I didn't like about the ending was Starbuck alone and about to starve to death, since Angela apparently scoffed his rations. It didn't ease my mind that he was now officially "good". Especially after all the heroic deeds in TOS. Really, it wasn't much of a long shot that this Colonial Warrior that had been willing to sacrifice his life in so many other situations, would again offer to do so for a woman and baby.

However, at the time it aired I admit that I was in BSG Heaven, finally seeing Starbuck once again. My jaundiced view of the episode came years later after seeing it again on You Tube. And after reading "Loyalty Check" by Fran Severn, and realizing that the potential to bring Starbuck back to the Fleet in a re-imagined fanfiction world was so much more fulfilling than the original concept.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #67
Benedict
Warrior

Like most, it's the only BSG80 I really like years on from last seeing it (late 90's I believe). I can't bring myself to like it as much as the original series. But yes, good to see Starbuck again even if the ending did not agree.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #68
Benedict
Warrior

Unlike my previous post I've only just re-watched the episode when writing this one. First time since I was about 10 I think. Back then I was sad at the ending and today probably the first time tears sprung to my eyes. Two moments: when Boomer says goodbye to Starbuck then when you see Starbuck sit on that rock right at the end.

Having finished G80, I can't say I'll go back to it unless pushed. Stick with my writing or try to get hold of Richard Hatch's books I think

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #69
LZaza
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post

Having finished G80, I can't say I'll go back to it unless pushed. Stick with my writing or try to get hold of Richard Hatch's books I think
You'll get a better bang for your (Star)buck here:

http://galacticafanfic.com/bsg-page.html
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #70
Benedict
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza View Post
You'll get a better bang for your (Star)buck here:

http://galacticafanfic.com/bsg-page.html
thanks, have to have a proper look later but looks to be bundles on there and all original-era. Might try later to get some of mine up there.

Old October 5th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #71
LZaza
Warrior

It's all Original Series BSG. And Robert Hanczyk is happy to add more of the same fan fics to the library. There's a link there to contact him.
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #72
LZaza
Warrior

Of course, there's also a library here at Fleets and another over at the BSG Club . . . http://bsgc.proboards.com/
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #73
Benedict
Warrior

crumbs, certainly a lot to look at. Maybe I'll sprinkle it here and there, see what happens. Ask the appropriate folks and whatnot thanks again.

Old October 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #74
cyfilon
Bad Email Address

there is on the web a story line about a possible third season of bsg called starbuck's quest which would have had starbuck in the raider cy came in looking for the fleet the neat'ist part of this story is that joan river's would have played a female IL cylon called lilth and that this robot was the base'st of dot matrix of space ball's fame i met her once and she said it was true but after the bad rating's of bsg/198o this whole idea was put on hold but she told mell brook's about the female robot and he liked it so much it was put in the spaceball's story my grampa said he had seen some footage of her in this role but i cant find it past the fact it is on several bsg site 's the star buck;s quest part i mean.
cyfilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #75
Jubal
Warrior

I laughed when it was pointed out about the manual. Do Cylon raiders have an instruction manual for other Cylons on how to rebuild each other? LOL

(Nope... probably built in the memory of a Cylon memory bank.)

You know what made original era Cylons cool? They were different. They were machines, cold, mechanical, efficient, and not human. They were scary knight looking, villians that you got great enjoyment shooting with a blaster.

So in this Robinson Crusoe type story, you have a fun time with Starbuck's man Friday... er.. Cy, and that makes for a good tale. You learn some insight between the similarities and differences between Cylons and humans.

I think as the viewer, all fanfare of seeing Starbuck again and how fun all that was, I am not sure I WANT to understand Cylons. It was like they were starting to take the Cylons down that path of making them a villian we could relate to and understand, and honestly, I never wanted that with the Cylons.

For that matter, really didn't need to know what I now know about Darth Vader either. Sometimes it is good to just keep the bad guys bad, and leave them as obstacles for our heroes to have to get around.

The Cylons are shooting at us. Why? Because we are different and they hate us for it. We tried to make peace, they are still shooting at us, hey, we tried, now let's blow them out of the sky!!

Cy and Starbuck... a fun episode, a neat pause to say "Cylons and Humans can get along... for so long as humans have the off switch..." :P
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #76
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Was watching The Return of Starbuck. Really like this episode. I actually like some of the episodes of Galactica 1980. They've grown on me over the years or yahrens I should say.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM   #77
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
Small titbit of trivia for you that I have noticed. The voice of Cy is the same as the voice of Karr, the evil version of Kitt in KnightRider.
That is too cool. Thought I recognized that voice. You know I have figured that a fun fan fiction would be to do a crossover between "The Night the Cylons Landed" and Knight Rider. Basically KARR was evil because he was the Cylon personality saved from the wreckage and then added to a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmiloman View Post
I don't remember if Myself or anyone else has brought this up, but a really good G:1980/A-Team parody would be if the ship of lights arrived to rescue Starbuck. Starbuck is taken to Earth circa 1972 and given the ID of Templeton "Faceman" Peck. That would give new meaning to the A-Team's opening credits montage where you see the centurion walking past Dirk/"Face".
LIKING IT! Now with that in mind I will watch more A-Team. Hmmm... take some A-Team footage, added to Dylan and Troy footage... and now Starbuck is a colonial warrior in regular clothes. Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Funny that G80 motorbikes get the whole "can't stand them cliche" these days looking back, when originally, they were made for the unfilmed BG episode 'Showdown'!
Showdown? Any copies of that script?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I really like that episode.
It's one of my favourite G80 episodes.
I confess I like Galactica 1980
*I think I might have said that already...*
I also feel it ended well...
Has anyone else seen the fan edited version where Starbuck returns to the fleet?
I've got that saved on my computer.
There is no doubt in my mind that Starbuck hopped aboard the Cylon ship and flew back. If two pilots were needed I'm sure he rebuilt one Cylon to help him pilot it.

Cy was a wash. His personality board was shot. Or was it?

Hmmm... Cy as a regular part of the show when they got back to the fleet would have been cool. Like Worf as a Klingon on Star Trek Next Gen.

As for liking G80... yeh I like it too.

Ummm new thoughts on this episode? It was a REALLY good episode. If Galactica had to fold, I'm glad it went out this way.

Canon? Easily. Great story. With Z? Maybe, but probably best not.

Was Apollo dead at the point where Starbuck was talking to Boomer? Well, I just thought he wanted to get his love off the ladies in his life and was short on time.

Otherwise he would have been like "Give my love to Cassie, Athena, Mary... and goodbyes to Apollo, Bojay, and please pay my pyramid tab to Jolly for me ok? And let's not forget Boxey...."

Yeh, he was kinda short of time. :P

All and all, great story, and I think Starbuck would be hard pressed to actually STARVE TO DEATH with all those new Cylon parts and a fully functional raider less than a football field away.

What I actually think is, he was just stunned. Had a long day, sending the woman off to safety, loosing Cy, and it was getting to be nightfall. What Starbuck probably did was call it a night, and the next day he got up and evaluated what to do next.

But really probably sitting on the rock just soaking in the events of the day.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #78
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Watched this episode again last night.
Lost count how many times I've watched it.
Yes, G80 has grown on me over time and I do enjoy the episodes.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #79
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Re: G80-06:The Return of Starbuck.

i liked some of galactica 1980 as well. the pilot episode was cool imho. dillon and troy weren't bad either. the super scouts was the demise of the show imho. the campfire song stated it all. "please cancel me," should have been the title of the song. the night the cylons landed is one of my favorites. the home video version had a scene where the humanoid cylons can't wait to engage one of those primitive vipers. spacfeball was just that a ball of pooh. the kids take the camera apart and put it back together in a few seconds. wow what smart kids. that should have given the thing away in a mew microseconds.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #80
Senmut
Strike Leader

An example of why network programming execs should leave programs alone!
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #81
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

cutting galactica 1980's budget to half didn't help. all of the combat scenes were archival footage from the original series. from flying a two seat viper into combat all we saw was the one seat viper in combat.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #82
Senmut
Strike Leader

Yup. Those continuity folks were really on the triad ball.
Old April 27th, 2022, 09:22 PM   #83
Cbournr
Shuttle Pilot

I thought Angela was judging starbuck whether or not he could become a member of the ships of light.
Cbournr is offline   Reply With Quote