Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old February 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Mel Gibson calls reporter an A$$ho&le on WGN-TV

Mel Gibson Calls Reporter A**hole WGN-TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTwuQBOLYdU

Something's so blatantly honest and hardcore about how Mel Gibson doesn't give a damn regardless how this got out. People in the media are playing it as if Mel didn't know his 'mic' was still on? Oh Pleaseeeeeeeee......... look up the lengthy interview clips on youtube and tell me he didn't know, of course he knew, he just wanted this to hit home "HARD" on this guy who clearly was pushing his buttons with stupid inane questions wanting a reaction so badly!

If thats what journalism come to, then it just a pisstake of arrogant types who basically have no manners who have high paid jobs for asking impersonal questions all the damn time and stirring alot of sh&t up, to gain a so-called story out of nothing.

Or did Dean Richards forget this actor played badass roles like; Mad Max, Sgt Martin Riggs and Braveheart, lol!

What does everyone else think of this recent news of Mel Gibson.

KJ
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Mel Gibson calls reporter an A$$ho&le on WGN-TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
What does everyone else think of this recent news of Mel Gibson.

If I can find Mel's address, I'll write him a "thank you".
While there are good journalists who know how to ply their trade, there are many who don't. It's about damn time these hacks were called out for what they are.

This gets 100 from me!
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Way to go, Mel!
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Sorry, I know I'm in a minority here, and I was a huge fan of the mad max films.....
But Gibson is just a bizzare self-important racist douche.
Even Tom Cruise has more cred than Gibson.

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion Draco View Post
Sorry, I know I'm in a minority here, and I was a huge fan of the mad max films.....

no your not .. I can´t stand him now.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6
starbucko
Shuttle Pilot

Agree here, too - I like his movies (well, most of them) but just because you're rich and famous doesn't excuse rudeness. We all run into jerks in our lives (some bigger than others), but hopefully we can handle them more maturely than that.

People who go on interviews need to accept that both hard questions and stupid questions are going to be asked. There are "grownup" ways to deal with it and then there's... Gibson.
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Aphrodite
Socialator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion Draco View Post

I feel the same way.

The only Mel movies I'll watch are the Mad Mad series and Lethal Weapon series...AND THAT IS IT!

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #8
LZaza
Warrior

I'm with the "good for you, Mel" crowd, since lines are forming to the left and right. I remember when Mel's exhibited kind of "rudeness" was referred to as honesty. And I believe there is still such a thing as "water under the bridge" and calling an asshole an asshole.

Favourite Mel Gibson movies for me precede the American big ones. Gallipoli and the Year of Living Dangerously, hands down. Although the Bounty, The River, Man Without a Face, and Forever Young also stand apart from his action movies, which I also loved. Tequila Sunrise, Mad Max and the Road Warrior (Thunderdome has been intentionally excluded), as well as the Lethal Weapon series. And of course, Braveheart.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #9
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Anyone who give the media some well deserved grief is alright in my book. For the most part they are a bunch of low life cut throats.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #10
starbucko
Shuttle Pilot

I guess my feeling is that, whether it's Mel Gibson or Joe Blow, the media or the local banker, you treat people with some respect. At least without rudeness. If others choose to act rudely, it's the better person who can react politely. Not always easy to do, but certainly to be encouraged more than the alternative. There's enough nastiness in the world without adding to it.
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #11
LZaza
Warrior

Respect begets respect. When reporters dig up the past to appeal to the sensationalism that is so nauseatingly predominant in the media today, they might occasionally get the mud that they sling so freely rebounding back at them.
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #12
starbucko
Shuttle Pilot

I'm only saying that getting down to their level only shows an immaturity on his part. If he doesn't want stupid/hard/nauseating questions asked, he shouldn't give interviews. Once he agrees to that, he should expect anything.

Reacting to rude behavior with rude behavior is the same old "eye for an eye" - and we all know what that leads to.
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #13
LZaza
Warrior

An especially good A-team fanfic?
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #14
starbucko
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza View Post
An especially good A-team fanfic?
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:34 AM   #15
monolith21
Squadron Leader

You've got a good point. For the most part I agree with you but I do think there is a time to shut up and punch someone square in the face. The media is a beast without respect for anyone or any thing. Its about time someone got in there and said it how it is.

Will it change anything?

No.

It may get some people thinking though and that is a good thing. Look what it has done here...we're talking about it and actually discussing the real issues at hand.

Respect does beget respect. For example, last night I wrote a big response in disagreement to what Centurion Draco wrote. It was pretty defensive. On any other board I would have let it ride...but not here.

People here are pretty respectful and that goes a long way. I have a lot of respect for this place. No one is attacking each other here, its a discussion and it would have been wrong for me to get defensive even if I do disagree with what he wrote. Instead I stated my opinion. He stated his, and I can see where he is coming from if I take a minute to think about it.

The media isn't like that though. Its a mess right now. Its all one big glorified ball of tabloids. The gloves need to come off for some bare knuckle truth with that lot. Its time. Like the Bible and the Byrds once said...for everything there is a purpose. We didn't storm Normandy to give Hitler a reprimand. He had his shot.

I do have some pretty strong feelings about it. Strong enough to compare the media to a bunch of Nazis! Okay...that might be a bit extreme!

I think if an interviewer is going to go for a surprise low blow, no one should be surprised when the subject fires back.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM   #16
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

Personally, I'm on Mel's side this time.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM   #17
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucko View Post
I'm only saying that getting down to their level only shows an immaturity on his part. If he doesn't want stupid/hard/nauseating questions asked, he shouldn't give interviews. Once he agrees to that, he should expect anything.

Reacting to rude behavior with rude behavior is the same old "eye for an eye" - and we all know what that leads to.
Once he started holding out on interviews - or start putting conditions on them - the recently rebuilt positive public perception could vapourize due to lack of exposure and his career could suffer as a result.

Yet reacting to repeated rude behavior by reporters/interviewers with kindness signals acceptance of such behavior.

He has to draw the line somewhere. As much of a pacifist that I am, sometimes an eye-for-an-eye response is the only option.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM   #18
starbucko
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Yet reacting to repeated rude behavior by reporters/interviewers with kindness signals acceptance of such behavior.
I said nothing about kindness - they can certainly respond and put the person in their place. But I have much more respect for someone who can maintain their dignity and maturity while doing so than I do someone who responds in kind. And it points out the idiocy much more effectively than getting down in the mud with them.

I repeat - celebrities know what could happen in an interview, particularly if they've done something controversial in the past. If they can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM   #19
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I don't know about that so much. We all know that we could lose our lives behind the wheel of a car. That doesn't mean we should "take the heat or get out of the kitchen" when someone drives recklessly. They need to be called on it appropriately.

Mel didn't hit anyone, he said something to someone that was appropriate to their actions.

I don't really think what he did is even close to "an eye for an eye". I think what he did is simply calling the cards as they lay. Sort of like that line from "The Untouchables"...

"If you steal I'm going to say you stole."

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #20
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucko

Doesn't that question the fact he wanted a paycheck or whatever? 'Go to work son and make your living and earn some money etc'. Still if the questions are hard and your the private kinda person, doesn't it defeat even making a dime by shying away cos you don't want the hard questions asked or put to you, at the end of the day.

Sorry but i believe the whole 'route to the truth' reporters go for is questionable by their lack of manners half the time. Just cos you agree to something doesn't mean you need to be treated so badly, humiliated or given the whole tough sh&t "life's hard" 'mantra' shoved down your throat.

My responce to any of their rude crap would be totally unPC and scary to behold.

KJ
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #21
starbucko
Shuttle Pilot

Well, let me put it this way. I want a paycheck, so I go to work, and it doesn't matter if I've got a good boss or a jerk. I want the paycheck, I put up with either. I don't agree with a lot of things the reporters do - I have a very, very low opinion of most entertainment reporters/photographers. But are you going to point to his response and tell your kids, "That's how you deal with idiots."? I hope not.
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #22
KJ
Strike Leader

Fair points raised starbucko.

Still, its not as if Gibson was unawares as some people online are trying to make him out to be, of what he said at the tail end of the interview. Think the shock value would been more shocking if it were somebody else who didn't have Mel Gibson's reputation of the past couple of years.

If it was Bob Barker, Ryan Seacrest or actor Leonardo DeCaprio. Somebody usually sweet natured opposed to controversial celebrities known for their aggressive reactions like Joan Rivers for example or somebody else you can name off the top of your heads ya know?

Ah but it had to be Mel again huh.

KJ