Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #151
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Ya know, I went to bed feeling a bit defeated about this all last night. I woke up with a whole new level of fight in me.

I was very much on the outside looking in these past years. I was loosely aware of the continuation efforts when I was in High School but didn't really get back into Galactica until 1999. I used to see all of your names pop up on the boards and I was pretty happy to see all the efforts to get Galactica out on DVD and a continuation made. I threw a few mudballs back in the day and wrote some long winded rants myself. I guess it is truly time to step it up a bit.

Galactica fandom seems to be a lot like the old football analogy. There are a few people out on the field in desperate need of rest and a few thousand looking on that are in desperate need of exercise. I think the "old guard" has well earned their time to simply be a fan if they want to. They most certainly don't owe the fans anything. However...any of you that have some fight in ya awesome!

I'm not sure where to go or how to get the message out. Maybe that is a good thing. A lot of different things have been tried.

I was thinking about something the other day and it seems that a lot of what we are talking about here is relevant. Battlestar fandom is nowhere near as organized as other fandom. There are a lot of people out there that are fans but don't even know places like this exist! Take a look at those news postings! I know about five of the people posting that are saying how great an idea this movie is yet there are a whole bunch of them!

I think whatever we do the fight is to get the movie made, not to prove which show is better. The Ginoids have their show. While they are looking at us yelling "you suck" I think we should be looking beyond them to the people who don't think that. We should be looking for ways to reach the fans.

The studios obviously don't give a damn. Like has been said here already, if we boots the fan morale then the studio MAY take notice.

One idea is this. Instead of putting money into an add, how about putting money into getting a decent sized booth at Comic Con. We can deck it out with props, screens showing the original series and the DeSanto stuff. We could work out some signings with the actors (if that is even possible. I spoke to Herb Jefferson about it and he seemed open). We could also throw some weight behind promotional swag. I'm envisioning this as more than just a fan booth.

Ok...now that was a bit of a rant. Sorry if it wasn't in the right place.

It would be a good way to spread the word though.
-Mark

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #152
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Oh and by the way Lord Starfyre...

NO WAY IS IT DEAD!

Just a little bruised that is all.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #153
jjrakman

Quote:
Jason, I look forward to seeing what you do with the DVDs.
Honestly, with all that I have on my plate these days, I doubt I'll ever be able to get to that. I scanned numerous magazine pages and posted them in the "My Collections" section intended for the project, but nobody else save a couple of others here and there, ever really brought anything to the table. I just don't have the energy to organize a project like this, when as you say, nobody really bothers to contribute. But at least the pages remain there for others to enjoy here.

But the idea has no copyright, so anyone who wants to take the idea and run with it, go for it.

But honestly, I'm pretty much in the same place as Sandy.

I've read the repeated statements made by a probably well intentioned Glen Larson many times over the years. This one just sounds like more of the same to me.

I've read the cryptic Faries-esque "I'm whistling" hints.

I've dealt with fan efforts in the past, and Sandy is right in that respect as well. Going all the way back to the efforts to boycott the advertisers of Sci Fi Channel before GINO ever even aired, something that many online fans volunteered for, but only two to my recollection even bothered to follow through with.

The CFF effort, though admirable, also had its faults in that much of the money that was donated came from large amounts by a few generous donators. The fact that fans everywhere couldn't cough up a measily 3 bucks and left the bulk of the donations to just a generous few was infuriating, at least to me.

I'd rather just enjoy the show, its art, and maybe even come up with a short vid myself now that I'm studying 3D Max.

I'm not going to bother with any pointless campaign where many volunteer and armchair quarterback but few actually do anything. There's just too many other things for me to do.

But good luck to those of you who do engage.
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #154
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Jim,

Depends on what you're hoping for?

It might be the news article that brought people back but I'd like to think it is the community that keeps people around.

In the quirky, Internet, virtual way, a pretty substantial group of us have grown to what I'd consider to be part of a family, with some being on the extended fringe, and others intimately aware of each other's health issues, financial problems, dreams, desires, fears, and all the rest.

I like that about this group. For me, that's the value.

I didn't know Eric was still writing. I commend him on that and hope that more people are exposed to what he's done.

I like the tip-offs of the projects Peter finds. I like Shawn's music. I like Stallion's reviews. I like a lot of stuff.

I think that should be the focus of the spotlight.

I don't pretend to have the ultimate view on whether or not any continuation will ever come about. I admittedly have a very dim view on TPTB and anything that depends on their approval. Likewise, Larson's latest announcement sounds like his previous ones to these old ears. DeSanto is the ringer and he might just pull off a miracle. Stranger things have happened.

I'd love to see a lot of good come from the reunion. I'd love to see everyone help Jason get his DVDs made. I'd love to see a good revamp of the websites take place. (I have OldSciFi.com and would gladly launch it with a really grand BSG section. There's no reason I can think of that all of the original series websites can't replicate the original series pages.

I don't have all the answers. I don't pretend to.

At most, I'm in agreement with Bryan. I miss the unity of the old fanbase and would like to think that it was based on something more than a mob wanting to storm the castle and put Ron, Universal, and the rest to the sword.

FWIW, I got an e-mail from a director friend about 30 minutes ago that said that Glen Larson was trying to shop around a continuation of the original Battlestar Galactica. So far, he hadn't had any takers. I don't know if this guy really knows what he's talking about but there's the info as direct and raw as I know it.

All my best,

Russell
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #155
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Sandy, I agree.

I have to agree with you, it is the community that does hold the value.

It really is what kept us going through the Milty/Ted nonsense, the RDM "Popcorn" BS, heck, even the bickering amongst ourselves, didn't always turn out badly. hehehe

I guess, for me, I think I'm ready again to try one more time, even if it just turns into another steaming pile.

How? Who knows! I'm juggling some ideas around.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #156
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Hypothetical questions time.

Purely hypothetical. (Place "I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing" disclaimer here)

Question #1

Would you, if the chance arose, AND if indeed Larson is trying to market his concept, be willing, ala the BSG-TSC trailer, to work for/with him to produce something similar? Even if there was no guarantee that it would be successful, or that even if it was that you might not be involved in the actual production?

Question #2

Knowing full well that whatever efforts we make now mostly likely will have little if any real results (ie securing the BSG we really want) What are you ready to do to fight for it? Whether that be writing letters, gather intel, Whatever?

I know, hypothetical questions are much akin to shooting from the lip, but after everything this Fanbase has experienced, JJ's line about "National Kick a Galactica Fan in the crotch Day" seems like a real possibility.

The odds haven't exactly been our ally.

What more are we willing to do?
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #157
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

What have any of us done?

Interesting question. Mostly I've just enjoyed BSG, the series, novel, and Marvel comics. Haven't really "done" much of anything I suppose, unless poking fun at the GINO series counts?

Took a while to track these down via Google and, technically, I made made these for a Katee Sackhoff 'appreciation thread' but that's Galactia related, sort of. Right?

These (posted back when rumours about Sackoff leaving the show were in circulation) got me in trouble with 'GINO' fanboys. I thought my take on Starbuck's possible fate was humorous but considering I wasn't really watching the series at the time I must have hit a nerve or something. Recognize the ship art? I think some of it came from here.

And there was a Christmas e-card I did, that next to no one here probably saw. With apologies to Dirk Benedict but, in all honesty, this was a lot more fun to photoshop.

I know, compared with what those with real talent around here have done that was some pretty lame stuff. But it's something to chuckle at. And I thought this thread could use a few chuckles.

Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #158
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I agree, too - it's the friends we've made over the years and our mutual appreciation of the talent of those friends that make this continued association worthwhile. I consider many of you close friends, even family. The fact we all see similar things in an old TV show that we all loved - and perhaps may love again - is now just icing on that cake.

I've been reflecting the last week or two, since this rumor broke. I joined this community in 2003, as that script was being "leaked", and I joined the fight. I ate it up, being part of something larger than myself, and I spent time and money and energy fighting the good fight. But at the end of the day nothing I said or did made any difference, except help create buzz about something I never wanted.

We got burned. We got burned by people who wished us ill (or pretended to be interested in what we had to say), but we also got burned by our own naivete, we got burned by our lack of commitment, we got burned by an unfeeling and heartless industry.

Six years of one disappointment after another, one fight after another, wears on you. So even this eternal optimist is not holding his breath - although I will confess to a new smile on my face because if this rumor did nothing else, it brought some of our oldest and most absent friends back out into the open.

I'm older and wiser than I was when I jumped into BSG fandom with both feet. I know now that nothing we did then was effective or would be effective now. We tried too hard too fast, and got burned - and maybe burned out - in the effort.

So right now, our energy should be directed in less protesting or militant actions, but rather to bring us all together under the BSG banner, let our talents blend as much as they can. My hat is off to those who can create what has been created and what will be created in the future. This effort needs to be more in the direction of building our love of this universe and draw in the fans by the hundreds, rather than convincing some suit that all twelve of us would watch a BSG movie. That way, if there is a continuation or a reboot we can be supportive, or even if there isn't there is still the solid foundation of us fans who will be here regardless.

I think I'm going to get back to work on that next fanfic I've been writing, in fact....

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #159
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I've made some of the coolest and best friends of my life on this web site and through Galactica fandom. Heck I got to go on a cruise with a few of you! The sense of community always astounds me. Its a very tight knit group. It makes me want to meet more and more of you in person one day. None of this rides on a movie being made. Sure it would be awesome, but it won't change anything.

That being said on to the hypothetical questions!

I'd be willing to fight just to represent Galactica. Heck, I'd make coffee on a second coming style trailer just for the sake of doing it. It is frustrating not to get results, but for me never so much that the effort wasn't worth it. Its like playing my favorite game. Even if I lose...I still got to play my favorite game with some friends.

For example...lets say a bunch of us got together to promote or represent Galactica at a con. We work the booth pass out flyers or whatever. The goal is to spread the word. However the joy of it is hanging out with fellow Galactica fans and representing the show. Don't get me wrong, it would be a lot of work as some of you know better than I.

I do hope this movie happens. I will be dissapointed if we all get kicked in the crotch. However we'll all help each other back up like we always do. I guess I look at Star Wars fans and see how they are out in force promoting, celebrating, and generally putting a face on Star Wars fandom without the need to push for anything. That sort of fandom is what I wish for all of us just because there is a lot of fun and joy in it. People take notice of that sort of thing.

The "suits" know that we Battlestar fans have a lot of fight in us. My Uncle Peter worked at Fox all the way up until 2004 and dealt a lot with the Battlestar stuff. He made a comment to me at Christmas one year when I was really on him about it. "You guys never give up do you?"

I politely told him "no" even after he assured me it was never going to happen. Between Battlestar and Firefly its all I can do not to give him major grief around the holidays.

I guess part of my love of Battlestar fandom is the underdog fight.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #160
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStarFyre View Post
Question #1

Would you, if the chance arose, AND if indeed Larson is trying to market his concept, be willing, ala the BSG-TSC trailer, to work for/with him to produce something similar? Even if there was no guarantee that it would be successful, or that even if it was that you might not be involved in the actual production?
Yes, I'd break out the old models and build new ones for this, ... not because I think it would go anywhere but because it would be a team effort with some folks I enjoy working with under the umbrella that I know something would eventually get produced. I'd ensure that there really was money and resources behind the effort before I'd raise my hand. My focus would be contributing to the overall community.

However, lacking something without that grand of a vision and oversight, I'd have to stay on the sidelines.

[quote]Question #2

Quote:
Knowing full well that whatever efforts we make now mostly likely will have little if any real results (ie securing the BSG we really want) What are you ready to do to fight for it? Whether that be writing letters, gather intel, Whatever?
Respectfully, this is the point of my message.

I don't want to FIGHT for anything. The situation is what it is. If six years of experience playing this game hasn't taught everyone something I don't know what to say. There's a word that represents doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting a different result.

If GINO/Caprica is to be the way of the future then so be it. I'll find whatever fragments of positives I can in that mess, ... or ignore it entirely if that seems the better option. If Larson comes through, then so be it as well. I'll see the movie, ... might even get involved in rallying for it if better details come down the pipe.

I'll continue to politely correct people who slander Fleets and folks I think have acted honorably. I am more mellow these days and don't intend to tangle with the likes of Ted and any various Teddish clones. Every post spent labeling someone like that an assclown is a couple pages on a script or e-mail to a friend.

As I said earlier, there will come a time when everyone needs to REALLY accept that GINO is the way things have gone and will likely continue to go. That doesn't mean intellectually recognizing that Ron Moore created a show called Battlestar Galactica and we identify that it sells on Amazon. It means emotionally accepting that this is how things are.

It also means recognizing that there are slices of fans who will always spit on the likes of us.

... and it also means that we collectively should get into a place where that doesn't in any way affect how we view ourselves and the old series.

Personally, I'd rather see that time come sooner rather than later. I think it would be far better for all of us. I agree with John. Protesting in any means isn't a viable path for our future as a fanbase ... at least as I envision it.

Russell
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #161
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

The continuation ship has long since sailed. if Galactica ever comes back after the present series ends, it'll more than likely be different again.

I haven't actually watched a regular episode of the classic show in over 18 months-2 years (I'd watch the whole run every year since I got them all on video from about 1987).

The joy I get from it now is collecting rare photos and magzine articles.

I applaud efforts like David Kerin's because he's trying something a little different and going the whole CG route he's going to save himself a hell of a lot of money trying to recreate what you saw on the screen. (Something that makes a live action BSG fan film impossible.)

I just wish now, that with the wealth of information available on the original miniatures at resinilluminati.com and battlebuck.com, CG modellers would stop foisting bad CG recreations of them on us.

Peter
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #162
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Can't believe how far this site has gone.

When Darrell and i worked to get it up and running i never believed in a million years it wouild progress this far. Which in itself is a huge accomplishment. The people that are here today are a direct reflection to what we've always hoped and dreamed for.

Personally this announcement has "some" legs. What those feet will produce is not quite clear. I for one wish for Mister DeSanto's involvement but to this day that also isn't the clearest. It would have to be a totally different story considering the GINO has stolen a good portion of Tom's original story. Which to this day i know for a fact severly angers the man to no end. But again only he know's what's up with all that.

For all that is available today there shouldn't be any reason fan creation's cannot succeed. Sad thing is there seems to be the real life drama going on for everyone and all good intentions of starting and finishing projects get's ultimately lost in the shuffle of real life. God know's i've got more things in the fire than most and to this day i still haven't finished what i've set out to accomplish. But maybe, just maybe that's what keeps me going on some of it. I enjoy taking things to the next level. Like i've stated i'm a modelor by trade. I build things in cg and other's have the ability to make them snap to attention with there animating skills. But again recently i've taken up playing more in the layout section of my software. Just to see how far i can take that. We'll see.

Quote:
I just wish now, that with the wealth of information available on the original miniatures at resinilluminati.com and battlebuck.com, CG modellers would stop foisting bad CG recreations of them on us.
Although i agree with this Peter as much as i also agree with the statement these guys are trying and that's all i did when i started. Collecting this information over the years has been a very expensive and painful endevour. But again there is a reason there stuff doesn't quite look up to par. It's called impatience. Getting something "close" also pushes my product to the next level. I can tell you though when i see a model created by other's i can instantly tell if it's accurate or not. Some get very close but once i see perspective views i can tell instantly. This is one of the biggest things that keeps me going with mine. Accuracy. It's also a very painful downfall. Striving for accuracy has set me back so many years i doubt i'll be able to accomplish everything.

With that being said when i modeled the ships that show up in the new series they got inaccurate versions. There is details that are on those ships that were intentionally left off in order to keep the TOS the TOS. Just a nod to the original that did not belong in the new series.

But enough of that. The news of Larson once again has everyone buzzing and it may or may not happen. Sandy is correct. All the people i know directly involved with FX and such none have heard a whisper. To me that just doesn't make sense. Without the fans of the original the accuracy of the TOS is lost. Hence the word remake. If it's remade do they discount the original designs once again and make Galactica an unrecognized product? Where would that get you?

At least it's done one thing, brought a lot of you back and it's good to see you all again.

Don
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #163
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I agree that sometimes feedback to work is not in the number the artist hopes it would be. However that does not mean it isn't being enjoyed. I've found in business too often people speak up for negative responses and rarely speak up for compliments. Luckily the group here is generally supportive. Yes, the topic may not go on at the top of the list forever, but it does seem appreciated.
This is a dead on quote. It's hard to know sometimes if it's good, bad or wonderful. It's hard for an artist of any measure to guage there work without feedback. Whether good, bad or indifferent i find it frustrating that you do not get more feedback. Sometimes i'm my own worst enemy. I'll actually really enjoy something but never post to say how much i had. But again sometimes we find ourselves wishing for more. That was good but i wish it was same ole same ole.

Take for instance my work on the cg model of the Galactica. To this day i have not seen a more accurate recreation. Now there could be but in our little world i have not. I've posted the wip in different places. Some really know what there looking at but some just ignore it. Not tooting my own horn here but why is that? You look at the view counters and they will read 300 views and 10 responses. As an artist i want to hear both perspective's. It's what makes us better. Even if it's not what you like we'd like to hear your thoughts. In the end with enough responses you'll get a more polished product that everyone will enjoy.

But i say again, someday's i'm my own worst enemy.

Old March 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #164
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Don
As one who has modeled the "G" a number of times yours is the best I have seen and should be on the screen
If this turns out to be true, all BSG fans should get on the same page and unite in support of a movie that reflects what we all know and love
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #165
JSC1
Warrior

I was goin to comment on the best format a film could make. But then I started reading a lot of the comments here.

It's true. We got burned. We got burned bad. And people enjoyed watching us get burned.

Okay so what next? Do we sit back and watch what happens or go one more round? And if you go one more round what guarantee do you have of winning?

In boxing if you make it to the fifteenth round you consider yourself lucky you made it that long. But there is still no guaraneee that you'll win the fight. You won't be performing at your best and the chances are higher that you'll lose more often than not. But still you keep going until you can't go anymore.

Will I go one more round? I think I still have some fight in me. But even I am not up to par. I might be able to make one last shot, but after that I'd probably be done.

That being said I want to bring up something I remember from the 'Milton' days. It was where there was a proposal about turning Moore's script into a prequel. Reactions I saw was that 'at least the original continuity would be preserved'. The fans I saw accepted this and thought it was the best that could be done. Of course we know what a joke that was.

Still we were willing to bargain and negotiate, as far as I had seen. The one point we agreed on was that the original be preserved and discarded. Universal and Moore were not willing to give on this one simple thing. Even when other proposals were brought forth like sidestory and distant continuation.

I will admit a continuation with as much of the original cast would 'no longer be practical'. If we get Boxey recast as an older man we should count ourselves lucky. Especially if it goes the distant continuation route. Should it go.

Currently I'm working on a blog article that chronicles the Galactica journey through my eyes. It's a bit away form being completed. But once it is done I'll post it. Then I'll work on other projects I have in the cue. One of them being researching my fan novel proposal.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #166
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
I think its probably time for almost everyone here to return to the Skiffy board and engage with the fans there. I see the end of GINO a lot like the Iraqi reconcilliation. There's a lot of ugly people there but the rules aren't the same as they used to be. Civility is militantly enfored (usually - sometimes its ignored). I think positive interactions there is probably a good idea, not because I think that we're going to sway anyone but because I hope it will start to restore a sense of unity.

Sandy-

Like you and many others who have expressed their feelings at the present moment, I truly understand and feel similarly in a lot of respects. While I wasn't here for all of it (beginning of 2003), I have certainly been through enough of it to understand where people are at this point. I haven't contributed to this community nearly as much as some others have, or even as much as I have wanted to. That has been for multiple reason, of which real life has had a part in. I should also add though, as you have experienced, is that when I have tried to make a contribution, the reception has been less then impresive. I am kind of feeling that now.

I tried generating a few conversation pieces which I thought might be fun, but the level of particapation has been less then underwhelming.(I am hearing those crickets quite loudly at the moment) I didn't have to do it. I will be out of a job at the end of July, with no idea of where I will be after that, so I definitely have other things that I could be doing. But I thought I would try something.

Its actually not the only thing I have in the burner either. I am wokring with another person on a story, as well as finally getting to some CG work that I have been working on for a while now.

But frankly, as you and others have put it, the lack of even acknowledgement of efforts taken is very minimal in this community at the moment. I don't understand why, nor does it give me any incentive to continue or share what I may have.

There is a lot of reflection of things past and I am completely in agreement that, that has been over talked about and analyzed to death and we really should start looking and focusing forward. We certainly need to understand where we have come from, but the question now is how we want to move forward as a community... if we even want to do that. I think we do, but we need to start thinking like that. What's happened, has happened. I don't feel there is any need to dwell on it anymore.

I think part of the way we can move forward, is truly focusing on the things that brought us here in the first place, the reasons we enjoy BSG to this day. I made mention of a documentary in the brainstorming thread, in which we talk about what really made us love this story so much that we are still looking for the community that believes like we do. It would be a positive and classy way of reconnecting with the roots of this community, and provide an inadvertant and yet classy way of getting our message out there. And even if no one lese would care or listen to it, it would be a way to get back to the roots of it all.

Of course, that requires particapation, which is rather limited at the moment.

Finally, I just had to ask about the above quote that you made earlier. While I understand the idea behind it, how would returning to the Scifi board at this time be beneficial to any of us. The show is still going and there are still going to be people that love the new show there and desparage the original, which ultimately could errupt into uneccassary battles again. Most of us here, still have absolutely no love for GINO, so why go into a pro-GINO area to stir things up, especially if you're not even watching the show? Maybe AFTER the show finally ends, but even then I am not sure how that would be wise. ...And honestly, I would like to here that invitation, or olive branch if you will, from someone from their side before I would seriously consider it. Coming from you, while noble, does not have the same meaning. That's not meant in any disrespect, but rather that I want to see and hear that the other side is willing to come to the table as well.

Just my .02 cents.

Denes
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #167
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

JSC1, your input here IS the cry of what a lot here have on their hearts...

I have been a fan of BSG since I was 9 years old...yep I was watching it as it was being aired for the first time. My parents were not big about letting my sister and I watch a lot of TV (Pentecostal Ministers) but they did like let us watch BSG since they liked the clear message of Good vs. Evil.

I never missed one airing of it...in fact I remember drawing the Viper in my art work class and even got an award for it. There were two things that I would mainly draw submarines and BSG Vipers. And when I went to Universal and saw the Cylon that walked around getting his picture taken, I have to admit he did scare me a little…not because he was different or strange but because I was into the story of the show and found myself living it in that moment because I knew what that Cylon Centurion stood for.

Now I never got involved with online fan sites like this one until around 2004, I started here in 2005 when it still represented Blue and Red...(I obviously chose Red). It was a total different feeling then…

If we are going to be active in our fandom it is logical to side with some who posted here (I believe it was Kester Pelagius and even TwoBrainedCylon made mention as well) on coming up with something on our own before we go out and start collecting cubits for a campaign. When the time does come for donations let’s make sure it is for something that we will get what we expect from our efforts. (We need to set goals that are reachable and not so dependent on Larsen and Universal)

*Staying a bit on topic* From reading the responses from most here it does look like it would be in the best interest for the TOS BSG to go through a re-boot...IMNSHO. That would be what I would be willing to accept and in hopes to spark a new wave of fans to TOS BSG and correct and re-establish some things as well.

BUT in the mean time, we the fans should start to focus mainly on what is ahead of us and not on the hopeful "rumors" to again set ourselves up for another disappointment. If we keep ourselves focused on "What can we do today for TOS BSG Fandom?" And begin to get many of our greatly talented members here and elsewhere together and see what we could come up with and take those productions with us to many of the SciFi CONs(as Monolith & jjrakman pointed out)...There is no telling where it will all lead up to (Hopefully in new recruits and more recognition for TOS).

I like the idea of coming up with ideas on what we can do right now despite whether or not this movie ever does get made or comes to light. If the "powers that be" can't or won't make things happen then it is up to us to do it ourselves. It is up to us to keep our expectations in check and not set ourselves up for further disappointment...remain focused on what we can do...that is all that should be expected.

(I don't take lying down very easy, even though the odds are against me, I will fight until there is no fight left and as long as I draw breath I will continue to fight)
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #168
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
I JUST WANT TO BE A FAN AND ENJOY BEING A FAN WITH OTHER FANS!!!

Someday, everyone is going to have to accept, ... and I mean REALLY accept, that Ron got control of Galactica and turned it into something he thought was cool and which many of us hated. I believe that everyone will also have to accept that Battlestar Galactica is not going to return in the way that people desperately wish it would. I really wish I was wrong on that but I respect everyone way too much to pretend otherwise.

So, I wish that everyone would instead focus on enjoying Battlestar Galactica rather than fighting for it. I think we'd all enjoy our personal experiences a lot more and would enjoy how we interact as a group a lot more.

I don't know if that sounds sagely or stupid ... but sincerely, I don't think that's an unreasonable position.

Sad but true!

Far as other aspects of enjoying BSG go, perhaps a CFF petition and advertisment campaign in starting a big project along the lines of getting 'Battlestar Galactica Re-Mastered' and onto Blu-Ray would be a better angle to go for rather than go the painful; wanting of a big screen movie update etc.

I mean, beyond my love of DVD's, the format has rarely been tested to its fullest extent or ever used properly 100% of the time, in my opinion. My only proposal realistically, cos i'm very imaginative. Is to outline what such an undertaking either officially, by getting Universal to do it through a big movement, although very unlikely and extremely hard, given the amount of effort the 2003 DVD took before they were released. Or unofficially given the creative and satisfying fan based projects seen on various "fanedit" websites.

But i say that i, only took a real interest in this whole thing, cos of that thread inwhich Jjrakman wanted David Kerin to undertake the same/similar thing!

In my absense, i'm suprised the huge interest wasn't still here. I'm sorry if my personal problems in realation to my computer, phoneline connection and other issues, made you all think the project was off cos i wasn't around. But in responce to what you said eariler Sandy, yeah me too. Both you and i thought alog similar lines and while it was put off or delayed somewhat i haven't given up o it yet. You and i both know of such a projects pitfalls, and i've mulled over your pm's on-and-off for quite a while recently in regards to handling it right. Yours was WAY bigger than my way of going about it, but yeah, its got several ways of being produced in the long run.

While i and others have been creative in its ideas originally, i say if i wasn't able from a creative standpoint. Then i'd put my backing behind a CFF mass fan colaboration without it ever becoming a "monster" project thats too big for anybody to handle right. But my CFF request would be for it to be a Star Trek Remastered style project akin to DK's SE fan edits rather than the pilot documentary i envisioned.

It would be to get BSG onto Blu-Ray with many extras, if it were to be a big project. Contacting those people who work in the industy, Universal's video department and even working with Larson's people or talking to him and especially the original stars themselves at conventions etc, and see whether or not they'd go for it or could support the fans love for such an undertaking. Or for the BSG DVD project to be a documentary, if it were much smaller project like the Star Wars fan made; "Deleted Magic", "Buliding Empire" and "Returning To Jedi" if this was a far more feasible goal.

Anyways, thats all for now from me. Yeah, even if i got my wish and we had a big budget BSG movie i know it'll be different for the 78 series. But that dream like the poor sleeping giant who's in a coma from nefarious types meddling (TPTP), will kinda live a little longer when these news clips keep coming in, even if we've moved on somewhat.

Talk to you later people!

KJ
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #169
LordStarFyre
Warrior

General, you hit on how I've been feeling, as did JSC1, Monolith, and others.

While what I really want is a true Continuation of the TOS. Quite honestly, the fact that the Original cast members are getting a wee bit long in the tooth (Come on, admit it, the real Old Guard are as well Me Included) doesn't really adversely affect that. In fact it kinda adds to it. The Original Cast would be Fleet Elders (Quorum of the 12 Members, Commander Apollo(?), etc) and the new Cast, younger Warriors, etc would be who the action centers around.

However, if the best I can hope for is an updated reboot, with the Original Themes and base concepts (Chariots of the Gods, the King Tut flight helmets, Yahrens, Centons, etc) with new people playing Apollo, Adama, Starbuck (M A L E) Boomer (M A L E) and E V I L ALIEN Mechanical / Reptillian Cylons, I'm almost OK with that too. Even I have to admit that the limitations of the 70s (ie the restrictive Television Code, ships-on-a-stick FX, stock shots o-plenty, etc) could be eliminated in a re-boot.

Heck, even a Distant Past "Flight from Kobol" and the establishment of the Colonies, with entirely new Characters, Villans, intriques, and story arcs might even be pretty cool, provided it's within the TOS universe.

What's important to me is the escapist Fantasy elements. I never read 3 Musketeers to experience Porthos' angst and dysfunction. I seriously want the Heroics, the commardery, the elements that inspire the imagination. It should be a roller coaster adventure, not a psych drama, or a long drawn out episode of Melrose Place in Space.

I want to hear the roar of the Vipers n space, or the sounds of the Lasers and explosions, even though there is in reality, no sound in space.

I need Sci-Fantasy that takes me away from reality, not a Sci-Fi version of Jerry Springer, that simply reminds me of how screwed up the world is.

Is all the dysfunction more "Real"? Yes, certainly. But isn't the whole point of Sci-Fantasy to suspend reality?
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #170
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Battlestar fandom is nowhere near as organized as other fandom.
Fandom is a funny thing. It's like an esoteric experience, sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't, and invariably those not "in the know" that catch glimpses of it in action are just mystified. You have these mystic crewes of Klingons and Federations that dress up and do things, so I've heard, and then there are people who spend goodly amounts of money to dress up as Storm troopers (in awesome looking armor) and *gasp* there's even lady Stormtroopers yet consider. .

When was the last time you saw a group dressing up in spandex to represent the Earth Protectorate?

Quote:
I think whatever we do the fight is to get the movie made, not to prove which show is better. The Ginoids have their show. While they are looking at us yelling "you suck" I think we should be looking beyond them to the people who don't think that. We should be looking for ways to reach the fans.
Modern fans are (or seem to be) fickle creatures. Do you remember how big XENA: THE WARRIOR PRINCESS seemed to be when it was on the air? You could hardly do a Google search for anything related to fantasy without getting a hit from a dedicated Xena site. Seemed like there were hundreds of fan sites cluttering up cyberspace. Try to specifically do a search for Xena sites now. There's not many of them left.

Same holds true for LEXX, CLEOPATRA 2525, and will probably happen to the current incarnation of Galactica. Or not. The current fan base have grown up in a world of youtube and ipods and facebook and instant messaging and half a hundred other things that never existed when we were watching BSG in it's first run. Yet for all that vitriol that gets poured onto fans of the old series what has the new fanbase done? I'm sure they must have done something, right? It's not like I've gone out of my way to look for it and they, after all, have a leg up on most of us as they probably have the best computer mom and dad's money can buy with all the new widgets and gadgets and do-wah hickeys and what not.

Yet I'm not aware of any fan series from the new fanbase either. I don't know if it's that youths today are just less passionate about things or if, like someone with ADD, they're not really "fans" so much as "followers" looking to grab onto the pop culture trend of the moment to fit in. But I'm guessing it's mostly the latter. Either that or I've just been living under the proverbial rock.

Quote:
The studios obviously don't give a damn.
Correction: The Studios don't see these "series" as anything other than exploitable properties. They do care, it's just that what they care about isn't quality of narrative or plot or story, it's the bottom line; meaning money.

The new incarnation of Galactica remains on the air for one reason and one reason only, it's making money. If it wasn't turning a profit for someone it would have been pulled quicker than MERCY POINT or COVINGTON CROSS.

Quote:
One idea is this. Instead of putting money into an add, how about putting money into getting a decent sized booth at Comic Con.
To what end? These events have turned pretty commercial. As I understand it actors don't show up to these events for free so there's an additional fee right there, and that doesn't even speak to the expectation of them NOT flying in on their own dime or staying in a hotel on their own dime, rooms to screen stuff probably aren't free, and "promotional swag" isn't free but, more to the point what, exactly, would we be promoting? Nostalgia? Happy memories?

Now if some of you had your own comic store or business with merchandize that could be taken to a con then you could use BSG as a theme around which your booth is outfitted. Be a good excuse to go to a con, anyway. But you need a solid game plan going in. If you're not going to be making money, or getting something out of the endeavor, then that's all money down the drain; and for what? These are harsh economic times.

EDIT: Sorry, someone had to say it.

Quote:
The fact that fans everywhere couldn't cough up a measily 3 bucks and left the bulk of the donations to just a generous few was infuriating, at least to me.
Why? What makes any one fan group entitled to people's money more than another? I'll bet there's a lot of BSG fans with cross over interests who have to manage their money as best they can. And, let's be honest, most people probably feel the same way you do when you say. .

Quote:
I'm not going to bother with any pointless campaign where many volunteer and armchair quarterback but few actually do anything. There's just too many other things for me to do.
I know it's cynical to say but people, being human, are probably waiting to see if anything actually comes of the talk before deciding they want to take an active part. So when they hear about a BSG event but don't KNOW it's really going to come together yet KNOW that in a few weekend's time they'll be getting together with their friends in their Federation Crew. .

Fans aren't to blame for this attitude though it's politics. Yeah, that's who we should blame for this jadedness, politics!

Too..

Quote:
I don't want to FIGHT for anything. The situation is what it is. If six years of experience playing this game hasn't taught everyone something I don't know what to say. There's a word that represents doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting a different result.
True, this does start to sound like a text book example of an effort in futility. And, honestly, who wants to FIGHT? I just want to enjoy some good sci-fi. I don't care who's involved, so long as they care about sci-fi and the material they are working with. Alas. .

Quote:
We got burned. We got burned by people who wished us ill (or pretended to be interested in what we had to say), but we also got burned by our own naivete, we got burned by our lack of commitment, we got burned by an unfeeling and heartless industry.
The fact the mini-series aired on Sciffy, of all places, pretty much said it all. Too, though I didn't know it at the time, that Ron Moore was spearheading this should have been a big clue it wasn't going to be good. The man, according to some, is responsible for driving the Trek franchise into the ground. He seems, again according to what I've read about him as I do not know the man personally, to actually despise the sci-fi genre (seems too incredible to me as that's his bread and butter but I'm just reporting what I've heard) and has, at times, expressed open hostility towards fans of the genre. Now the latter I can believe as I did she him appear, briefly, in some Trek related documentary and just from his comments he seemed to be expressing a unusual derision of the franchise for one that worked so intimately with it. But who knows what the root cause of that was.

Quote:
So right now, our energy should be directed in less protesting or militant actions, but rather to bring us all together under the BSG banner, let our talents blend as much as they can.
Well said.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #171
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason View Post
Far as other aspects of enjoying BSG go, perhaps a CFF petition and advertisment campaign in starting a big project along the lines of getting 'Battlestar Galactica Re-Mastered' and onto Blu-Ray would be a better angle to go for rather than go the painful; wanting of a big screen movie update etc.
I think that's a pretty good suggestion.

As yet there is no sign of TOS on Blu-ray and to make a possible package 'pop' for people who already own the DVD it's got offer something different.

Maybe they could release the series but the two-part episodes could actually be the TVM versions.

Don says the new series never got 100% accurate CG recreations of the miniatures. If more accurate versions of theses models exist then maybe time would be better spent putting something together that could convince Universal Home Video to remaster the series.

It'd also may be light a fire under Don's astrum to get his baseship and G finished.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #172
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
I need Sci-Fantasy that takes me away from reality, not a Sci-Fi version of Jerry Springer, that simply reminds me of how screwed up the world is.

Is all the dysfunction more "Real"? Yes, certainly. But isn't the whole point of Sci-Fantasy to suspend reality?
Kai LordStarFyre! Well said!

I cannot count the number of times how depressed I would get watching the RDM version. Week after week of "why in Gre'thor am I alive" feeling. You NEVER felt that way with TOS. My Kahless, if it wasn't for my morbid curiosity on RDM's frakked up version I would have been driven to hunt this pataQ down and stick him on a pike!

If I wanted to feel this way about our humanity then I would just need to sit in front of my TV and watch the news and read our local/national newspapers!
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #173
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Is all the dysfunction more "Real"?
NO!

Dysfunction is what hack writers use to pass something off as being "gritty" and more "realistic" but, if you look around you, your house, your work place, your neighborhood. . . Do you see it? Is that your reality? Is it?

I don't believe it is.

Well, okay, there was that woman who dialed 911 to complain about McNuggets. But that's just stupidity.

Old March 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #174
KJ
Strike Leader

Far as other aspects of enjoying BSG go, perhaps a CFF petition and advertisment campaign in starting a big project along the lines of getting 'Battlestar Galactica Re-Mastered' and onto Blu-Ray would be a better angle to go for rather than go the painful; wanting of a big screen movie update etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Noble

As yet there is no sign of TOS on Blu-ray and to make a possible package 'pop' for people who already own the DVD it's got offer something different.
In closing, i'll say this for now.

But akin... to the Star Trek Remastered effort but FAR BETTER and realised.

And for the extras to incorperate and include the original actors participation. Think this'll cost money so alot of brainstorming over whats needed would need to be discussed first and off-hand with those in the know.

BSG was shot on film, so the remastering needs to be done to the deleted scenes regradless of cost, the episodes for the first ever would have to be shown uncut with the deleted scenes restored in their proper order and placement, all continuity issues fixed (Apollo/Starbuck scene with Cain shown uncut officially, the drawing of the blaster/gun in LL on the Pegasus etc.)

CFF could then easily handle the fan requests of what would be realistic and necessary in advertising a possible re-release of BSG onto Blu-Ray with all-new extras as a lure for those who want to buy the series again, but wouldn't necessarily be double dipping etc.

There's more to say, but you guys and handle it til i pop in again!

Laters

KJ
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #175
LordStarFyre
Warrior

hehehe KP, you obviously never met my Ex-Wife.

She makes most of the GINO-cast look downright normal.

In all seriousness though, let's face it, this world is a pretty messed up place. That's not a political statement, just an observation.

The world itself can be dark, and gritty.

I agree that the dysfunction is simply a tool for unimaginative hacks to provide filler for their apparent lack of creative skills.
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #176
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
Eric, I didn't know you were still writing. I read the first few pages of the Baltar story. Good stuff. With some polish, it could make for a good audio production if you could get someone to produce it. I think your mastery of the Galactica story would be a pretty good foundation for a continuation via audio -- just a suggestion.
Many thanks! The VS project is a collective effort, and I was kind of out of the mix for a year while the other authors did their stories, but I've been back in of late and finally got to do one of the stories I'd waited more than two plus years to finally do and it was something that I like to think took the whole BG universe in more....intriguing direction. Senmut, who has been a member here at Fleets is currently doing the fourth story of our "Third Season" with some rewrites from me and the other authors where necessary to keep the continuity straight.

I appreciate your suggestion that this kind of fanfic I've been involved with (and I'll add that what I heard of your audio work was very professionally well-done and well-worth listening to) would work great in the audio medium, and that kind of gets back to something I've always wondered. We've heard about ideas of animated continuations in the past, but it always seemed to me that as the cast got older, the audio medium would have been a more cost-effective way to go *if* it could have been done with the production values of the Star Wars NPR radio dramatizations where you had the access to the music score and sound FX library to properly underscore everything. The "Theater of the Mind" would certainly have been a great way to have considered doing it, and heck, it's the one medium where it can never truly be too late to utilize people like Richard, Dirk, Herb, Anne, Laurette etc. with just the right voice actors to approximate those who are no longer with us.

As for seeing the series released on Blu-Ray, not being a fan of that format I'm not too anxious to see that happen, but I will say that the last truly great moment of satisfaction there ever was to be had as a Galactica fan from something "official" was the DVD release in 2003. I never in a million years thought I'd see all those deleted scenes *plus* we saw the episodes beautifully remastered for the time, and keep in mind that Universal as a general rule has NOT remastered any of their other vintage TV series for DVD releases, but instead uses old videotape masters from the early 1990s rather than going back to the film negatives as they did for the Galactica DVD release (just try watching the last two seasons released of "Emergency!" on DVD and you will see examples of lousy source material being utilized). So while we as a fanbase have been screwed on so many fronts, the one time we did come out ahead was on the DVD release and for that I do remain grateful.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #177
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post

Maybe they could release the series but the two-part episodes could actually be the TVM versions.

Don says the new series never got 100% accurate CG recreations of the miniatures. If more accurate versions of theses models exist then maybe time would be better spent putting something together that could convince Universal Home Video to remaster the series.

It'd also may be light a fire under Don's astrum to get his baseship and G finished.
I concur. I think pushing for a well done special edition of the original series, with restored scenes and some very professionally done and tailored VFX would be a viable arguement to Universal. Of all the rallying ideas, I think this one likely does meet the best criteria as the enhancements could be done fairly cheaply compared to the potential return on investment.

Its also an area where the fanbase could make a direct impact, not by representing the audience but by providing a capability and linking with other resources.

I'd think to make this pitch, you'd have to have a well constructed and researched proposal, a 3-minute rework of an example scene showing how it could really be transformed without looking goofy (which sadly the reworked Trek seemed to be), and a good rundown of the resources you had on hand.

I don't mean this to imply that this would be done out of someone's garage. It would require reaching out to the professional-level folks a number of us know and doing for this pitch what Richard was never able to accomplish, ... to make Universal think that this was the path to take without trying to reinvent the idea.

The danger is that they'd want to work GINO stuff into this new edition to promote that series more by linking the two more closely together. Imagine Gamorrah with Tricia Helfers and the GINO centurions walking around in the background and the GINO vipers mixed in the space shots with the original series stuff. It sounds stupid but they've made more rediculous decisions before.

Yet, I think with the right folks putting it together, backed by a few bucks from the larger fanbase, a pretty good proposal could be worked and it MIGHT have a chance of getting pushed forward, especially if some of the names that did the VFX on GINO were attached to the project.

All my best,

Russell
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #178
LordStarFyre
Warrior

AMEN Sandy!

'nuff said.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #179
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingongeneral View Post
It was a glorious time!

In all fairness when monolith and I approached one of the panalists that was "pro" the new BSG and was a TOS "Hater" (as monolith stated not in a threatening way)...which I think he still was feeling a bit threatened with a 6 foot tall 250lb Klingon getting right in his face and staring down at him didn't help....LOL!

All I said when monolith and I approached the pannelist was "here is one of the haters." He gave me a big scared looked and I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head...he did back pedal real quick and said he didn't hate TOS BSG.

Monolith and I were just wanting him to know that we appreciated the TOS show and wanted him to know that there are fans out here who still appreciate what the TOS BSG stood for. He seemed relieved by our approach...as it should be. As TwoBrainedCylon stated, 'who are we defending against?' I enjoyed your post on this TwoBrainedCylon!

Reaper, you are so dead on! Getting out there and showing others that the TOS fan base is still alive and kicking is what is strongly needed. I too am in the process in getting my colonial uniform and I too will be there hitting as many of these CONs here in the Southern Cal area.

And I challenge any and all of you to do the same in your areas to the best of your abilities...we need to send out a message that goes beyond just mailers and emails (which by the way these should be done as well and in huge force). Attend as many CONs as you can afford and if time does not permit, sponsor someone to go on your behalf.

My Kahless, I thought I would have never see many of you back again but look, here you are...it is a good day to die!

I may play a Klingon here but we are all warriors! It is time we rise back up in unity and in force and make it known to all...TOS BSG IS HERE AND IT IS HERE TO STAY!
Well said! I agree wholeheartedly that TOS BSG is here to stay!

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #180
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Like many who have spoken before me, I'm wrestling with how much I want to open my heart for this "rumor". I would be overjoyed if the rumor turned out to be true, if the film was produced, and especially if, somehow, we could all converge on a single location to view the film.

THAT would put a smile on my face that would take one hell of a long time to remove.

As Sandy, John, and Don have mentioned, this place has evolved way beyond a nice little corner of the universe to chit-chat about Galactica. Many of us have opened our hearts and let others inside. We care about each other, just like any other family. We've shared personal triumphs and personal tragedies. We've worried about our friends who were in parts of the world that were less than hospitable, like the Hotel Baghdad. Some of us even checked the casualty reports hoping to hell that we'd never see a name that we recognized.

Through it all though, I think that we all learned about things that we didn't know and maybe even a little bit about ourselves that we didn't know. We've built rock-solid friendships with folks that, in some cases, we've never met face-to-face. How could that be, one might ask? It's easy when each one is open and honest with the other. That's what the folks in this place have done and, by doing so, have helped turn Fleets into a little slice of heaven, at least for me (and hopefully for others).

I've said before that I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of talent that resides here and with the willingness that it's shared, by those who possess the talent, whether it's graphic art, modeling, or fanfic.

I truly do have it easy.... I get to sit back and appreciate it all whether I go to the Fleets Gallery or Colonial Library or want to find out All About Models. Other times, I may want to check up on a finished project in Art Work – Finished or check up on one that's Art Work In Progress.

Then, if I really want to try something different and put the proverbial gray matter to work, I'll try a New Twists on Old Episodes.

These may be shameless plugs to some but, to me they are concrete examples of what I stated above. Even if I never saw the (real) Galactica except in re-runs, the contributions and friendships that I have, here, will last me a lifetime.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote