Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old June 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Viper 04

Default 1/32 scale Monogram Viper project

Here is what I have done on my 1/32 Viper so far.

As you may know Monogram did a very good job on the general details on the model kit back in 1980 but there are a few areas that need help....so I started with making the canopy out of clear styrene ( actully I used a new CD jew case ) and it worked out just fine, then I will build the frame around the clear parts.

I cut out the door openings for the landing gear and sanded off the raised details and hand scribed all the recessed panel lines and will make replacements for the other details.

I also wanted the exposed engine areas to have a more 3-D look so I cut out the engines and found some styrene tube that was the perfect size....then I will add the greebalies and what nots to those.
Any input or suggestions would be cool!
Thanks and enjoy!

Here are the pics:

http://www.troysmodels.homestead.com/SciFiModels.html
Old June 2nd, 2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Viper 04

gee......I guess your all speechless, don't care for 'real' models or don't like new folks coming aboard?
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM   #3
jjrakman

I just ordered the Monogram Viper too. I'm watching to see your progress. Although I'm pretty good at painting, I can't do any of the 3-D sculpting or modifications, which is where I think the real talent lies. I did order the cockpit kit, but the canopy is just okay, I'm going to attempt to modify the existing canopy by cutting out the opaque window parts.

Anyway, nice job, interested to see your progress.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #4
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper 04
gee......I guess your all speechless, don't care for 'real' models or don't like new folks coming aboard?
Oh man, please don't feel that way. It's really great work you are doing. Sometimes people just don't say much or wait until a project is further along to start commenting, that's all it is. We really do enjoy having you aboard!
Keep the pics on this coming along, and more will stop by and check it out.
Alot of members here do not even look at the models and art pages. True.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Viper 04

Thanks Dudes.

I had a felgercarby day at work and I wasn't cool about that at all.

I'll try to behave.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM   #6
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper 04
Oh contraire Viper 04. I do care for 'real' models. Love your lighted Galactica. I have the same kit and did some modifications to the "Big G" myself (opened up the center pylon, closed the front of the L/bays and "shrunk" the size of the indent on the sides of the forward hull). No lights on mine though.
Viper canopy looks great. Do you plan on making the interior of the cockpit? Keep up the good work. Please keep us apprised on your progress.
Not to boast or anything, but I MAY have built 2 of the smallest vipers ever assembled. One measures half an inch in length and is comprised of 4 pcs of plastic. The other is 5/16ths in length and is 3 assembled pieces. All are painted as close to accurate as possible given thier size. They were quite a pain in the neck to put together and paint. I would like to post pics of these sometime soon to show them to everyone at Fleets. Suppose it would be a good idea to take some pictures of them first though. May need some assistence when the time comes for that.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:41 AM   #7
jjrakman

Quote:
Sometimes people just don't say much or wait until a project is further along to start commenting, that's all it is.
Blue Squad is right. I was mostly reading your stuff, waiting to see the progress. I would be interested to see how you did what you've already done, a sort of tutorial. I have no idea how to scribe anything. Or how to do any kind of modifications or scultping, I'm just a paint job guy.

Just remember, even if there's no responses, check out the "views". People are interested, even if they don't post.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:37 PM   #8
Viper 04

Thanks dudes....

CBSG .....yup! At first I wuz gonna just scratch build the cockpit using my buddies kit from MM Models as a guide .....but I just got an e-mail from them and they are going to re-release the kit again this late June or in July. Its a cool kit! It has a resin tub, photo tech details and panel parts and a proper sized and angled vacu-formed canopy with rivits.

Their Landing gear kit is very cool and very close to the studio sized mocks.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Jakob J
Bad Email Address

Nice work so far, the mm cockpit is nice along with the figure if your looking for that effect.
Jakob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #10
Viper 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob J
Nice work so far, the mm cockpit is nice along with the figure if your looking for that effect.
Thank you!

The Cockpit would not be that hard to build but at around 25 bucks heck why not!? I'm still going to use my canopy but I'm thinking about a standing female pilot to go with my Viper.

My new job has tons of overtime which is cool and some times I will be working 6 days a week not to mention travel jobs that are 2 to 4 days away from home...I will be surprised if I can get this thing done by Oct 06 for my local Sci-Fi contest.

Does anyone here ever visit Hobby Talk or go to Wonderfest in Ky?