Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old May 10th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 BG-07: The Young Lords

Lieutenant Starbuck crash lands on Attila, a Cylon controlled world, to find human children leading a guerilla resistance.

Series stars; Richard Hatch as Apollo, Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, Herb Jefferson Jr. as Boomer, Lorne Greene as Adama, Terry Carter as Colonel Tigh, Maren Jensen as Athena, Tony Swartz as Jolly, Laurette Spang as Cassiopia, Noah Hathaway as Boxey, Sarah Rush as Rigel, David Greenan as Omega, and John Colicos as Baltar.

Guest starring Charles Bloom as Kyle, Bruce Glover as Megan, Audrey Landers as Miri, Adam Van as Nilz, Woodward as Robus, and Brigitte Muller as Ariadne.

(Thanks to Michael Faries Battlestar Galactica.com)

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH

Last edited by Flamingo Girl; May 10th, 2003 at 05:51 PM..
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Candles?

Is it just me or why do I find it totally unnecessary to have candles and flame torches in the castle where the Cylons are staying???

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

In the novel, Miri could communicate with the Unicorns through mental telepathy.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

This episode was not one of BSG's shining moments. Improbable at best (that nursery rhyme thing still makes me shudder), putting those youngsters in harm's way the way Starbuck did was inexcusable. Slingshotting grenades into the fuel dump? Good thing the Cylons were coming down with a bad case of rust (?) and couldn't shoot worth beans.

The acting was atrocious, much of the writing juvenile. The only positive was Audrey Landers, and that was because of her appearance, not her acting. The Landers sisters were in a lot of guest parts about that time, too - a lot for the various Larson series in particular.

No, not my favorite episode.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #5
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

I admit I liked the exchanges between Spectre and Baltar, but you're right, this one was lacking. It's kind of maddening because a lot of BG was close-but-no-cigar. It would have taken just a little bit more work to make the bad episodes into good ones. Here are some changes to this episode, keeping the core of the story the exact same, that could have made this a much better and more adult episode.

After picking up explosions on the surface of the planet, Starbuck and Boomer, or Starbuck and Apollo (or even better, all three of them) land and discover a guerilla band of human survivors who are playing havoc with the Cylons. There are maybe a dozen of these humans, but they're ADULTS, with maybe two or three late-aged teens. Spectre is holding their CHILDREN in the castle.

Starbuck and Apollo landed in order to bring these people back to the fleet, not knowing about the children. They're kidnapped and held for ransom...the same story plays out, except this time it's adults saving their kids. It really wouldn't have been hard to make this episode much more believable and adult-oriented.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default The Return of Starbuck

Some of the footage was borrowed from this episode for the Galactica 1980 episode.
Old July 30th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #7
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

I was wearing a blue shirt when I watched this episode.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #8
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I think you're right. WHY on EARTH would the CYLONS
need Torches or candles? I found that ODD when I
watched it ..........
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #9
Rickyrod70

Default Audrey Landers

The only saving grace of this episode is the beautiful Audrey Landers. I never tire of her or her sisters beauty.
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:58 PM   #10
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Audrey Landers

I wish they would've brought Spectre back. That 'droid cracked me up.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Re: Re: Audrey Landers

Quote:
Originally posted by Belloby
I wish they would've brought Spectre back. That 'droid cracked me up.
They did in the telemovie Conquest of The Earth. Spectre is in charge of the a-b craft and must come up with excuses when the craft is lost.
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:10 PM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Judy Landers.

She was on Vega$ with the late Robert Urich. I remember one two hour tv movie which featured Lorne Greene as the bad guy who was trying to brainwash Dan Tanna into killing Roth.
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:03 AM   #13
Doctor Salik
Shuttle Pilot

This episode rates mediocre with me. The rhyme is awkward. Cylons in a castle? Cleaning their weapons?! Give me a break!
It's a good thing the Cylons do not have fighters or scanners in this episode or they would have found the children at once. I like Spectre, though.
Interesting sidenote: I own a Cylon costume and can imagine what torture it must have been for the poor stuntmen to walk through water in that outfit.
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #14
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Cleaning their guns...

Well, on a planet like that with water and pretty bad conditions for robots, I guess even the Cylons had to clean their guns!!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:04 AM   #15
Domiano
Bad Email Address

Miri was cute and Starbuck can not keep his hands off any female. How old was Miri compared to Starbuck? She looked under 18.

I actually liked seeing Cylons in a castle and the story was not too bad. The first born son was a bit annoying....even in the deleted scenes. I remember buying a magazine and seeing pictures of Starbuck's damaged viper. I was so amazed at how they made it, I took my toy viper and my number 2 pencil and drew tiny holes on the bottom to make it resemble the damage.
Domiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #16
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I liked spectre too Belloby. I wanted them to bring him back
instead we got stuck with LUCIFER ..............BOOOOORING
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #17
ViperTech

This episode has a lot of high comedy...some from the idiocy of the Cylons, some from the writing itself. I remember hating the song-chant thing when I originally saw it...and I was 9. Now as an adult, I find it cute. Spectre was awesome.

A rivalry between him and Lucifer would have been a great choice for the Producers/Writers. Who knows what was in store for a second season?!

The story was decent enough, though it did have the
already-mentioned flaws.

The young Audrey Landers was beautiful and did well considering what the writers gave her. I get a kick out of seeing her in this role after seeing her in later her days on DALLAS. I always prefered her sister Judy on
BJ and The BEAR, though.

The part where the boys walk between the Cylon sentries as they walk apart and the Tin Cans hear nothing and continue their patrol was too much to believe.

With this one, we simply must remember that BG's audience demographics included kids. This episode was clearly geared towards them, even if the writers did just end up insulting even their intelligence (inluding mine at Age 9).
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #18
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I loved the song chant thing. I think it really helped to
show what was coming in the story line.
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #19
WARDAGGIT73

Default * to 4****

***1/2

I like the elements of this episode. At first it seems to be a throw away episode nut it isn't it adds texture to the series. The Nursery rhyme is cool too, plenty of humour and it's fun watching Baltar outwitting himself...
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #20
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDAGGIT73
***1/2

I like the elements of this episode. At first it seems to be a throw away episode nut it isn't it adds texture to the series. The Nursery rhyme is cool too, plenty of humour and it's fun watching Baltar outwitting himself...
I think the "Nursery Rhyme" was what pulled that particular scene together
and reminded us that for all their 'skill' as 'warriors' they were in fact still
children.
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #21
Antelope

Overall this was the weakest TOS story. I thought Starbuck and Miri were overly flirtatious. The fact that she looked under 18 was not a good thing. I am sure the young male audience enjoyed it however. I also never saw anyone in the episode outside the immediate family so it is a bit disturbing to wonder what became of them after the colonials left. I guess I need to suspend some more reality and not think of it to much.

This espisode did have some good insight into the cylons. It showed that they do have a class that has some initiative and human like concerns. It was good seeing Spectre make his false reports and have a sense of humor.

As episodes progressed it is possible to see how the colonials fell for the original cylon armistice ruse. If you had a cylon like Spectre or Lucifer at the negotiating table you might just have hope you were dealing with beings with some kind of concern or empathy. It is obvious that at a minimum they cared about themselves and their careers in the cylon hierarchy.
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #22
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Thumbs up

best 18 year old on show deerskin skirt lucifer having a tif over his rival go rust yourself in the book she knows starbuck isnt the one for her but she dosnt want him to forget about her so she seeks a moving painting abourd the shutle again planet close to colonys no weopens but the cylons leaveonly 5 people on whole worldshe was and is a major hottie on my dvd the exrta parts were greatLANUCHCRUISERHAWKEYEREADY TO DEFENDTHE FLEET FROM THE RUST BUKKETS we did it tigh we alldid it the hand of god god bless annie dirk richard tony sara and all the rest the new movie was starbucks bad dream part 2 againg the best looking geaststar of whole show
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #23
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Actually I liked the Jealousy that Lucifer showed toward Spectre and
I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvved Baltar's amusement at Lucifer because of it

LOL Launchcruiser :laugh: Welcome to the fleets
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #24
Bombadil

The premiere and early episodes were truly dramatic, and they only hinted that BG was going to be less than realistic science fiction. This episode made it plain. It was, at best, high camp, and at worst it was just silly.

(I admit, though, that watching Spectre behave like a GS-11 lifer was a hoot!)
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #25
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
The premiere and early episodes were truly dramatic, and they only hinted that BG was going to be less than realistic science fiction. This episode made it plain. It was, at best, high camp, and at worst it was just silly.

(I admit, though, that watching Spectre behave like a GS-11 lifer was a hoot!)
I think this episode could have been better written. Although I must admit
I lovvvvvvvvvvvvved the rivalry between Spectre and Lucifer and Baltar's
amusement to it
Old March 25th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #26
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Spektor's Voice

For those who have long wondered who did the voice of Spektor in this episode, I think after multiple viewings I can finally place it. I have heard some suggest that Jonathan Harris did it as well, but it's clearly not him and I am almost completely sure it is in fact Murray Matheson, who played Sire Geller in "Greetings From Earth."
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:11 AM   #27
Senmut
Strike Leader

Hhmm............. I thought Blofeld was the voice of SPECTRE???
Oooops. Wrong franchise!
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #28
bsg1fan1975
Major

the rivalry between the two IL's was a riot but the lines between the cylon and Starbuck were a classic

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:21 AM   #29
Captain Morgan

I got up on saturday morning to watch a BSG mini marathon with the 3rd disc of the DVD set .I was not looking forward to watching THE YOUNG LORDS thinking that the whole STARBUCK and THE LORD OF THE FLYS story idea was tired but just like with THE LOST WARRIOR I was wrong.Plenty of CYLON activity,a whole
new Lightbulb robot and 1 of the Landers sisters for the jailbait lust factor.I was looking at this episode as just the one before THE LIVING LEGEND but it's very
good even with the unicorns and that kids silly THOR helmet!ALRIGHT,now I can
finally watch Lloyd Bridges beat up some CYLONS!"I WAS HIRED BY YOUR PARENTS
TO MAKE A MAN OUT OF YOU"!
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #30
BRG
Warrior

Default **

A fair episode, not one of the best, so 2 out of 5.

I found the brats annoying, espescially the older boy with The Mighty Thor helmet(Kyle, I think his name was). That whining git needed a good slap. And the fact that Starbuck took the kids into battle was outrageous! Ok, mabey the older boy & Miri are old enough for combat, but the youngest three brats?

But any Starbuck centered episode is always fun to watch, and the Spectre - Lucifer part was enjoyable. And it was good to see Bruce Glover who played the kids father Megan, he is best known for his role as Mr Wint, the homosexual hitman who menaced Big Sean and the lovely Jill St. John in Diamonds Are Forever .
BRG

PS- just a thought, but are Megan & his kids the only humans left on Attila? If so, I recon they will be breaking out the banjo's pretty soon!
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote