Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #1
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default OT-Hey! Don't CHANGE that channel! WHY NOT?

I got this link from a Scaper, the bad news is that during Bonnie Hammer's tenure @ 'The Scifi Channel' it has become more profitable, with less science fiction...........?

Maybe the number of households reciving Scifi has helped, but it is becoming sort of hard to call The Scifi Channel, the home of that genre.

Maybe Viacom or the sale by Vivendi might change something but if Scifi is making money with horror, fantasy and other Universal StudiosUSA productions, nothing will change. The bottom line is what CEO's & stockholders watch.

There is a lot of good Scifi that has been done out there, I. E. Firefly, VR:5, Crusade, B:5 TLoTR, Odyssey:5 --- hello everyone here has a favorite scifi show that could do well on a dedicated science fiction genre specific channel/network. Other than Dune & Taken what has 'The Scifi Channel' done well?

Hey! Don't CHANGE that channel! I was watching that!

http://www.projectscifi.com/

So we all know the frustration that comes with having your favorite show pulled, usually in its prime, frequently unexpected and mostly underserving.

That's why the creation of the SciFi Channel gave a lot of scifi viewers great hope. Finally a channel designated to show genre-shows, a place where quality fictional television wouldn't be the unloved step-child! Well, that was the idea anyway. And for a while it worked. Then the top brass of the SciFi Channel decided that they really didn't like, well, scifi shows. Because they were watched by, well, scifi-loving viewers, really, fans even. Odd that. And by now the SciFi Channel has developed into a true slaughter-house for science fiction based shows. Where good shows go to die. Instead they're now showing scifi-reality shows... yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one, too. But then I never quite understood the oxymoron thing either, so it could just be me Well, I for one have been getting exceedingly more frustrated with them changing the programming to fit the dumbest common denominator. John Edwards is by now starting to looks like a real cerebral giant. Good grief.

And then kymom over at the Save Farscape strategy board came up with this really great line:
"HEY! Don't CHANGE that channel! I was watching that!"

And that just sums it up perfectly! We were bloody watching that! Why is the ever so elusive mainstream so much more valuable than a dedicated viewership you can count on? Who the frell are they to assume that I will stay with them no matter what crap they show just because they name themselves Scifi Channel?

Maybe I am particularly pissed off right now, because my show only just got canceled, but I'm sure everybody else out there still remembers their favorite show. There was a time when the SFC would have picked up Firefly because it was a good scifi show, not turned it down, because they're trying to reinvent themselves!

And maybe this is the line over which all the varying fandoms can come together to show the SciFi Channel that they might be able to cancel one show at a time, but destroying the one home scifi has currently on TV is something they will not get away with. So maybe we should all send them a note saying "Hey! Don't CHANGE that channel!" I know, I'll be getting the bumper-sticker as soon as it's available!!
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I am surprised that the sci-fi channel didn't become The Spike Network instead of TNN.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote