Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 27th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #1
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default What will happen to us?

I've been worried lately....you know, over this whole Moore remake thing.

Has anyone on this board seen what the different incarnations of Star Trek have done to their fans? They're at war with each other. They're always quibbling over what is the real Star Trek and what isn't.

I've been posting over there for nearly a year and it has finally gotten to me. The bickering, the name calling, the threats...it's a mess.

Is this what is going to happen to us? I mean, we've always much been pretty united that G80 was not part of Battlestar Galactica and now Moore is throwing another iron into the fire with this remake.

Battlestar Galactica fans have always been the nicest, most generous people I have met. I would hate to see us at each other's throats over this.

What do you think? How close are you to the pulse of Galactica fandom? Do you believe we will be at war with each other like the Star Trek fans over Moore's remake?
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #2
Erzengel

I, for one, am not going to fight over something that terrible. If people like it after it's released then more power to them. I'll just treat it like G80.
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Fights

Belloby, the Star Trek fights I've seen (granted, I don't frequent discussion boards) pretty much consist of "which is better: TOS, TNG, DS9," etc., and variations on that theme.

This fight is different. This fight is over some pretty basic things. The fear is that RDM is gutting Battlestar Galactica of what it was.

Some of the members here are hard-core, original cast/scenario only fans. Some are more moderate, and wouldn't mind a retelling (as long as it honors the original). Then, there are some who want whatever dreck RDM might come up with, whether it's BSG or not.

I don't count the latter as fans of Battlestar Galactica.

My own feeling is similar to Erzengel's. If what we see in December(?) is a load of ****, it won't be part of the BSG 'canon' - as G80 is treated.

IMHO, of course.

I am
Dawg

BTW, it's already causing warfare, even among the moderators here.

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol

Last edited by Dawg; March 27th, 2003 at 11:21 AM..
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #4
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Fights

Let's disagree, but let's not divide.

Between Star Trek and BSG, don't like what Hollywood is doing to science fiction fans these days.

Last edited by Belloby; March 27th, 2003 at 02:57 PM..
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Exactly. Good scifi is being shot down (Farscape) and tired franchises are struggling to keep in the popularity game (Star Trek). (Having said that, though, remember it's only the first season of Enterprise - season two might be a whole lot better).

For us fans, though, the problem is blinders and argumentative attitudes. For a lot of people, there's only one way to do things. Add to that people who want to fight for the sake of fighting, and you get the kind of warfare that is happening between boards (and to a lesser extent within boards). I'm not singling out either Star Trek fans or BSG fans (or anybody else). You find the same thinking everywhere; religion, governments, etc.

On BSG: Yes - I think that a continuation, with perhaps a few of the original cast to give us that link to the original, is the best way to bring the old fans and new ones into one big happy BSG fandom. Will that happen? We'll find out, eventually.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't know how the whole package is put together until we sit down with our bourbon and beer and watch what's broadcast.

However, we must accept the simple fact that there will always be extremists on either side of the current argument that will think that the final product is a piece of crap and will flame it at any opportunity.

You see that in the posts here (and everywhere else) already.

For me, I'm waiting to hear the news that's supposed to happen sometime this week or next. Who knows - maybe all this talk and stress is for nothing!

*Dawg's been accused of being an eternal optimist before, too*

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 27th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Eternal optomism appreciated, Dawg. As crazy as this thing has been, who knows? Every day nothing is announced the ball could bounce our way....

Wishful, just being wishful. There are worse ways to be....
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Belloby,

I don't believe that you can draw a comparison of the bickering, etc on the Trek forums to what is happening here. As I have stated many times before, I have been following Trek for over 30 years and the one single absolute throughout the entire franchise is that they stuck to their original premise, values, themes, history.

Granted, the venues changed. We went from the 23rd century to the 24th on board 'NCC-1701, A,B,C,D,E'; from a starship to a space station; from the Alpha quadrant to the Delta quadrant; now, to the past--where it all began. Throughout it all, we still had the Federation, the Prime Directive, the history, old enemies, new enemies, old friends, and new friends. We even had Majel Barrett transcend time to appear on all of the shows, except 'Enterprise', as Christine Chapel, Lwoxana Troi, and the voice of the computer. All of that is the continuity that we have been striving for these many years, with BSG.

I won't insult your intellgence by telling you that something very different is going on here, you can see that for yourself. That is why you have asked the question, "What will happen to us?"

I think that many of us that are true to BSG:TOS will basically wait and see, regardless of what direction the show takes and what direction SCI-FI/USA Networks takes, in terms of who the new owner will be. That could actually have a greater impact to any type of current and/or future production than anythiing that HammerMoore could do.

Whatever happens, don't give up hope. That is the one single absolute that the TRUE BSG fans have had throughout the yahrens.

Keep' the faith,

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

"I think that many of us that are true to BSG:TOS will basically wait and see, regardless of what direction the show takes and what direction SCI-FI/USA Networks takes, in terms of who the new owner will be. That could actually have a greater impact to any type of current and/or future production than anythiing that HammerMoore could do."

That's exactly what some of us are waiting for. Wait and see.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

I hope not but it does happen. Sci-fi channel boards is one example? (but thats another story) Better to fight for the series we know should come back as a continuation dispite naysayers and all. We don't have to agree on everything but having different opinions is the "Salt and Sugar" of life, different opinions on all things without killing each other.

Were're just a passionate bunch thats all. Ron Moore and Bonnie Hammer want to offer fans a poison bottle (remake BG) and call it new Coke! But we want Classic Coke with a new lable and spin on it, to sell to the masses (people) Thats what were fighting for with ideas and other non-remake sex change nonsense directions thrown in. If were gulity of that then YES. But change as a fanbase, no were're the underdogs but wacky as Trekkers never! Hollywood would either do us right and honor the old show.

Or my DVD VHS and VCD collection of stuff, just became my new Cable Broadcast system with no, 20' something, crappy looking, halfasses, 13 episode, here one day, gone the next hollywood garbage!

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #10
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Wink Fandom

Hey, KJ, how many BSG fans own and wear Colonial Warrior uniforms to cons, etc?

There are wacky Trekkers, there are wacky Galacticans, there are wacky My Favorite Martian fans.

The human race is, basically, made up of wacky people.

*Dawg likes the word "wacky"*

I wonder if, regardless of what the next weeks hold and what form the BSG project takes, there will be any real change in how any of us looks at BSG. Like I said, if the result is crap, then we can and should be vocally disappointed (I'd use other words, but those aren't allowed) in TPTB at SciFi and Universal. But that doesn't mean our focus would have to change.

And, remember, the end product just might be pretty good. We don't know. Productions change on a daily, even hourly basis, people come and go, so there may be things happening now or during production that are in our favor.

There I go, being optimistic again. :o

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol