Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 26th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Civilian Cylons

After watching the "LivingLegend" 2 parter the other night, I was curious about something- the civilian Cylons.

This is the only time they were shown or mentioned, correct?

I wonder what type of function "civilian" robots serve.

Peter, you wouldn't happen to have a clear photo of one of them, would you?

I also noticed the IL series Cylons having a conversation. Were they civilian IL's or what?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

It's always been my impression, based in large part on LL, that the Cylon society is in many ways a similar one to our own (or the Colonials). Commerce, etc - a real society would have to have a civilian component, if only to support the military.

Of course, one built on machine logic - even 'living' machines with some emotional aspect - wouldn't be exactly like ours.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Senmut
Strike Leader

The civillians would of necessity be the ones who keep the Cylon society running. Someone has to produce the stuff, build the buildings and ships and mine the minerals, et al. Since the soldier class is always off fighting, another class would be needed to keep things humming. There would also have to be research facilities and the "people" who come up with new weapons and technologies.
The whole of Cylon society strikes me as alot like certain insect societies. Each individual is part of the greater, and rigidly stratified, whole, with their specific job to do, all controlled by Imperious Leader. If he is destroyed, as we saw in the pilot movie, he is rapidly replaced, just as a Queen bee would be, if she were suddenly lost to the hive.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #4
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

I would also think the Civilian population would also relate to the running of the actual Cylon 'government' or, maybe, aids to the government. Just my opinion there .

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #5
gmd3d
Major

I remember the scene right enough and agree with the suggestion above regarding their dutys in the running of the Empire ..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #6
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

There were those with circuitry showing and a funny walk. Those could be the civilians. One did have a gun in the control center and was shot by Boomer.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #7
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

IL series are administration. 'Supercomputers' comprising the latest tactical, logical, multitasking and multi-band communication circuits available. They are the real 'thinkers'.
Gold Command Centurions, although extremely capable as garrison or Base Star commanders, are less 'adaptable' than IL's, and usually report to an IL superior.
'Civilian' class Cylons are 'worker cast', more advanced than 'drone' centurions (perhaps even Flight leader Centurions), they are 'tech' cylons: makers, builders, etc. The guys behind the scenes who get everything done. They seem to have more of a separate culture in cylon society, separate from the military/leadership cast, they don't appear to have the chance of advancement that Military models do, although they do seem to be more 'social' and can be observed 'conversing' with each other at the Leader's reception on Gamoray.
Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote