Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 14th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #1
ElvisLiS
Shuttle Pilot

Default Possible Roles for Dirk in new BSG?

With Richard Hatch having now done new BSG and likely and possible returns in future episodes (gee what use could Adama have for a political activist capable of rallying the people and waging a geurilla war in space...hmmm) I wonder if it will be possible for Dirk Benedict to also find a place for a semi regular recurring role.

I know there have been some suggestions of a falling out between Dirk and Richard, and Dirk and the new shows producers, but I hope these are short lived and more in the imagination of fandom. Because if Richard has any pull with the new shows producers and Dirk I would like to see him get them to agree to him bringing a character into the show.

Hopefully if fans of both shows support it, you could see Dirk on air by second season.

I know the idea of Dirk Playing Kira "Starbucks" REAL dad has been raised but I visualise it like this;

Adama has a shortage of Colonial personnel on the Galactica, with her being undermanned on the eve of her decommission when the attack commenced.

In addition, he needs to establish a Colonial Forces presence in the rest of the fleet. This leads him to order a survey of all survivors for any former fleet personnel or with the necessary skills to be sworn in.

Kira is assigned to the task along with Lee to go through the lists, find and interview possibles. Kira notices a name. A former hotshot pilot and warrior, a middle aged, roughly handsome card shark and hustler........and relucant to be sworn back into the service.......Her father, who walked out on her mother when she was just a baby. Kira grew up with all her fathers attributes.....except the temper which she made her self.

Theres this scene I picture as the "reunion"

Michael Thrace (Dirk) behind bars in the brig, wearing the his faded old pattern Colonial Forces jacket (TOS Warriors) like a Bomber jacket, smoking and crewing on a stoggie, and having a frayed "heart to heart" with Kira.....stoggie tip to stoggie tip through the bars.

It gets heated and Lee Adama comes rushing in and Yells "Starbuck!" and they both look and glare at him mirror movement like, and yell together "WHAT!"

A bemused Lee says "At least I know where she gets her habits from now" to which Dirk replies (as he stops chewing the stoggie and takes it out of his mouth) " I'm not claiming her until I see how she flys a Viper"....Smiles a Dirk smile at Kira, and resumes puffing.

Kira just stares at him wide eyed veins pulsing for a couple of seconds...and lets out a primal scream in his direction, flapping her hands with the cigar in one hand, and storms out of the brig, almost kocking Lee into the bulkhead. Out of sight in the corridor, you hear the crash of metal messplates ans Kiras voice going "Get outta my frackin way!, #@!!!#@".

Dirks face goes a little sad, shakes his head and says with a sigh " I never knew how to say the right thing to her mother either, come to think of it"

What do you think. Other suggestions. Nice ones I mean.

Last edited by ElvisLiS; July 14th, 2004 at 09:33 PM..
ElvisLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #2
larocque6689
Warrior

Leave Katee Sackoff behind on a stranded planet and give her the company of Cyrus, the human cylon played by Dirk Benedict? We'll call it "The Return of Starbuck".
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #3
ElvisLiS
Shuttle Pilot

Awwwww!.............But thats not a new role for DirK
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #4
ElvisLiS
Shuttle Pilot

Ooooops! Sorry IT IS......question is does Katies baby get back to the fleet?
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

He needs to watch Boomer or a new cylon walk by him, then point and do a double take, ala A-team!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:12 AM   #6
amberstar
Strike Leader

LOL Tom!!! Good idea!

With what Dirk said on the online telethon chat, I doubt he'd accept an offer on Ron's BSG.
He is Starbuck and no one else
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #7
koenigrules
Warrior

I know I've said this before, probably on another board.
I think Dirk will come around if BSG is on a couple seasons. He will see the show as established; it will have at least two episodes with Hatch as well as some with other TOS actors and he will want to be a part of it.
I'm not sure, however, that he will play Starbuck. More likely it will be a wiley con-artist that Adama needs so that they can extricate themselves out of a tricky situation (e.g., Cylon outpost).
KR
koenigrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #8
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

I keep hearing references to this supposed "falling out" between Dirk and Richard. Unless I've missed something, there is simply no substance to this. Richard has nice things to say about Ron Moore and his team, Ron's vision, and the RDM show actors. Not once has he said anything remotely negative about Dirk. Saying "Dirk doesn't like science ficiton" is hardly critical.

Likewise, Dirk has expressed his disdain for the new series, for Ron Moore's decision making process, and for the mentality of studio executives (that latter bit was even somewhat echoed by Richard in the most recent interview). In his online chat, Dirk asked fans what they thought about Richard's decision to appear on the new show... but never once said anything remotely negative about Richard.

I have communicated and spoken with both of these gentlemen, and I have detected nothing but professional respect between the two. I don't think they were ever "drinking buddies," even back in 1978... but it would be a mistake to view their differing opinions on the RDM show as a "falling out." I think that's a BSG myth that's being promulgated by certain segments of fandom, which does not seem to be supported by any hard evidence.
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Antelope

If Dirk Benedict's words in his recent statements express his real thoughts I highly doubt he will take a part in Moore's series. His words mirror the thoughts of the most hard core anti-mini purist among us. If he stays true to his words he will not be in the new series...ever.

On Richard and Dirk:

I have no idea what they are like today since I know neither personally. I can only speculate from statements attributed to them. From interviews early on in Battlestar Galactica I got the impression Dirk was more grounded and did not let stardom go to his head. He has faced some personal physical demons that helped put life in perspective. However I also would not think the grounded and take things with a grain of salt person I read about would not have said the things he said in the manner he did in reference to Moore and the mini in his recent statement. The anger and bitterness in his words did not reflect the impression I previously had of Dirk Benedict.

Richard Hatch definitely made anti-mini but not anti-Moore statements prior to his acceptance of a role in the new series. I think Richard has his opinions but always left the door slightly open. I think Richard Hatch has strong feelings about Battlestar Galactica but has also always viewed it as more of a business (which is exactly what it is!). I felt all along he was the one most likely to sign on to the cast of the new series. With him there it may let some of the others take roles as they become offered without fear they are somehow stabbing the fans in the back. Unlike Richard, the rest really don't have a big financial stake in the Battlestar books etc. Financially Richard had the most at risk and the most to gain from joining the new series.

If Dirk Benedict's words are more for the "fan base" than from the heart I would not be surprised (although I do not expect) to see him accept a role in the future. If he did accept a role I think the best part for him to take would be in the suggested remake of "Living Legend" with Dirk Benedict playing the Commander Caine based character. I would also like it shown at that time that Kara Thrace is the daughter of the Commander Caine based character.
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #10
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

This brings us to the question: If you do not like the mini, are you all going to watch the mini because Richard is in it?? And will it make you watch if more TOS stars are in it as well??

I, for one, could not care less if Richard is in the mini. It has no effect on me and I will NOT watch him play some other part in this so-called BSG...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #11
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by larocque6689
Leave Katee Sackoff behind on a stranded planet and give her the company of Cyrus, the human cylon played by Dirk Benedict? We'll call it "The Return of Starbuck".
ROTFLMAO. Priceless, Larocque. Priceless.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #12
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

From what little I know of the man, Dirk's not about to say anything in an effort to cowtow to anyone...a fanbase, Hollywood, or anyone else. And I have to admit, I admire that a lot.
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #13
tracyb144

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526

If Dirk Benedict's words are more for the "fan base" than from the heart I would not be surprised (although I do not expect) to see him accept a role in the future.
Dirk received more criticism from the "fan base" than he did praise for what he wrote in Dreamwatch. Which was exactly what he expected. He's been called a "chauvenist" by alot of his long-time female fanbase and a "bitter old man" by many of those who enjoyed RDM's mini.
So winning the "fan base" over certainly was not his intention nor his motivation for writing it. Dreamwatch gave him an opportunity to publicly tell everyone exactly how *HE* felt about things. Love it or hate it, disagree or not, think about what he said, view the whole picture..........for yourselves. Make your own choices. For that was his true message.

Read Dirk's books if you haven't. You'll get a better understanding that he not only "talks the talk" but he "walks the walk".

Tracy
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:30 AM   #14
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thanks for adding that bit tracy. And Tag, I agree with all ya said.

The fanbase tends to take positions that someone is likable or unlikable, or whether they are a good person or scum, based on what acting jobs they take. Which is kinda extreme.

I'm positive that Richard and Dirk, and everyone else who acted in the old show don't really give a damn if one of their old castmates takes a job on the new series. Everytime I heard it come up, they are happy that one of their friends got some work.

The old cast are good hearted people. I like them. I respect them. If they get work, ANY work, I am happy for them.

Now back to the topic... Elvis, I liked what you wrote. You show some nice writing skills. Heck... I think the Moore show would benefit from listening to ya.

Old July 16th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #15
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Just a thought,

My mind keeps going back to Dallas. As I recall Larry Hagman was supposed to provided a background antagonist to Bobby and Pam. But he did such a good job of it and Sue Ellen, Bobby and Pam came off as such victims, the character JR became the lead figure while the others became his weekly victims.

I think it would be poetic justice if Richards role developed into a lead roll, Richard actually becoming the president (ala an election) and taking the lead away from Adama. Edie could go back to doing his other show, and the others fade into bit parts. This would certainly open the door for a Dirk like character, who could victimize “Starbuck” , chase woman and the the other things the real Starbuck is known to do.

Now the show could be real fun!

Of course Adam did say “they need to make babies”, Lee Adama – Starbuck? Now that’s an image I could do with out. :confused:
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #16
ElvisLiS
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks Thomas,

I love both shows, and when I thought this thread up I wanted to do a scene I thought Dirk would do (if he ever did) and could fit into the current version. And which even the people who are disappointed about the show would get a laugh outa.

You know...humourous, warm and with a touch of pathos (I think thats the word)

I even imagined a storyline around the rest of that, but that woulda been the money shot for me.

Question is, do you think he'd stick with his present hairstyle or grow it back out Starbuck style?......Thats the REALLY serious question here!
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #17
julix
Bad Email Address

Hey Elvis,
As far as Dirk's hair goes(since I love talking about hair), I would like to see it a little longer and back to the blonder shades...it can be done my friend(as you may know, many a blonde you see around is not natural!)

That is my hair advice
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #18
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

His hair I believe was blondified for the show. His natural hair color is much darker I believe. Tracy, is that right? I heard they lightened his hair up so he would stand out from Apollo.

I think Dirk would look more natural with short hair now. Though Richard still likes having long hair.