Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 27th, 2003, 06:43 AM   #1
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Cool Con Reflections......Long Read.

Hello all. Well i made it home from the wirlwind that was Galacticon, barely! The fires in California have really made a mess there. I left LAX at 6:45 am yesterday and from what i'm hearing i was one of the lucky ones to actually fly out of LAX yesterday. Go figure. I hope all that attended and had flights made it home finally, safe!

Pretty intense 48 hours for me. I'll try and breakdown some key elements not only in my time there but for the Con and Galactica fans everywhere.

First, Zoic. For those that don't know, i spent considerable time in the last 6 months doing FX for Zoic Studios, the company that is producing the special effects for Moore's upcoming mini-series. Instead of baggering Moore's mini i want to reflect on what Zoic has done for it. I cannot go into specifics but the effects are going to be stellar. What Moore's mini lacks in heart and direction, it will garner support for the Special effects alone. We all say it's not the effects in most cases, but the passion and direction the actors take a specific series or movie production that makes us watch AND watch again. My intention is not to beat my own drum here but to reflect on how the team at Zoic went after what we've always wanted to see out of Galactica. With that i will tell you the effects are absolutely spectacular! To see ships and such that my parter (Mark Dickson) and i designed and built actually move across a tv screen was an absolute thrill for me, one that i will never ever forget. In stating this i would like to at least specify to people that were at the Con and seen Moore's panel "and" improntu showing of scenes from the mini, that what he brought of the effects does not reflect on how it actually looks.(Insert Jack Stauffer's statement here). I know that he meant well but again i think he basically made himself look bad and reflects negatively on Zoic and other's. He should not have brought this to Galacticon in the shape it was, it was a major mistake on his part. I hate to say this folks but again it was even stated by Glen Larson himself at the con, this mini will garner ratings. No matter what we think of it, no matter what we want the mini has it's moments. In hindesite it is actually working for us. More to come on that subject later.

The people at Zoic are a very special group, welcome back Mojo! I spent many hours with these people and the learning experience was second to none. Thanks to the people at Zoic for making me feel welcome, i can't say enough on how much i appreciated it.

Now to the Con. It was my first official visit to a con. I met some very special people there. First off, Darrell (Warrior), sorry i didn't get as much time as i wanted to just sit down and chat with you. Like i said in the begining i didn't even hardly sit down until it was midnight each night. Being pulled here and there, as well as yourself kind of made it hard to discuss anything. Next time we'll have to make an attempt to say more than "man that really sucked".

Tom, we had some very good moments you and i. I won't even mention the shuttle bus . To all, Thomas and i really had some good discussions on how to make some changes to Fleets and i think you'll like them in the end. Were excited about the "new" direction of the place, stay tuned. (Tom, good luck with Lee, make it happen!)

Steve W, what a treat to meet up with another "we just make models" kind of guy! Don't be shy, you can make anyone smile sir. What a pleasure it was to be there with you. Thanks again for the fun!

Tom, you were right. What a sweatheart you are Jewels. Thank you for all your supportive words and the help you gave us in meetings with specific people . I'll never forget that.

Michelle, i bet your just exhausted today. Thanks for the generous help you provided Mark and I. It was fun dining at the Hard Rock.

And then there's Michael Faries. You know something, i don't think i've met a more passionate man for Galactica's continuation than this person. It was a distinct honor to have him at this place, and Michael it goes both ways. I honestly also came to the con to meet you as well. And thanks for the cubits! They meant alot to me. Were not done yet.

To all the others that i had the great pleasure in meeting, it wouldn't have been the same without all of you being there. THANKS!

continued below.....
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #2
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Tom has covered alot of key things that transpired at the con. I won't double up on his postings only add to the overall event. He's right on the size of the convention. It was not overally big but it really didn't have an effect either way. It was great from a fan's perspective. It was easier to communicate with the star's of the show. Although i didn't get much time to speak with the star's it was fun to see the interaction up close and personal with the fans and the star's they have come to love over the years.

The panels were great, with the exception being Ron baby's. He really was pathetic. But i give him credit for showing up. It took "balls" to come and stand in front of us. He made alot of excuses that just did not jive. To me, he thinks the original fanbase is a bunch of old, uninterested people that no longer is a threat. We've even been called radical's to a point. Well Ron how wrong they were. I was proud of the people in that room. They asked consice, straight forward questions that you had a very difficult time in answering. Oh and one more thing Ron, drop the tough guy attitude. It was very evident that you thought you were the next great thing on the planet and the arogence you showed was really tiring .

Moving onto Saturday, we finally got to see Richard's GWOM trailer. It has potential. We'll see how far it will go. The story follows along the same type of path that happened with Galactica. What i mean by that, Richard is trying to tap into the same thing Glen did, human's fighting for there very existence against an enemy bent on destoying them at all cost's. The story has strong elements and a solid direction to build on with some very cool actor's in key elements of his trailer. In saying that, from a fan's prospective the trailer was good. Richard has accomplished an amazing feet once again for what he's working with. Without the backing of a major studio and without major financial backing he's created something that most of us could only dream of doing. I hope it takes him where he wants to go.

After that i did not attend Dirk's panel. Someone else will have to tell what happened at his talk. I just remember seeing a pretty long line in the back where Richard was signing autograph's. He was there for quite sometime.

I instead moved over to the room containing the dealer tables. It also included tables for some of the actor's to sign autographs. One of the main attractions there was the cd-rom game setup with 2 different stations for fan's to try, for the first time, to fly a viper in combat against cylons raiders. Let me tell you folks, if you don't have an X-Box or PS2 now is the time to get one. This game will make you proud of the original series. Although there were small parts involving mini-series elements, 99% of the game reflects the *real* Battlestar Galactica. The cut scenes were produced by EdenFX and they really were great. The game actually used a premis from Tom DeSanto's failed production. They took what Tom was thinking of using for a future Cylon design and implemented a version of them into the game. The game cylon's are excellant! The voices are there plus the overall look is really stellar. And these cylon's really could make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

I was able to have a long talk with the game designer. He, in no uncertain terms, is pissed off at the changes the scifi channel made him make to the game. If it were not for the scifi channel's/Universal's medaling he stated this game would have kicked major major ass. To him i say that it already does kick ass and anyone, repeat anyone that does not get this game is missing out. Believe me, it's worth every penny. Thank you to Warthog for making a dream come true.

continued.......
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #3
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

In the afternoon i attended the full actor's panel. Tom reflected on alot of those elements but it was really funny about Anne's son calling during the panel. The reason it was *so* funny is the announcer of the panel asked everyone to respect the people on the panel by turning off all cell phones and pagers as to not interrupt anyones talk. Well there ya go, everyone did *except* Anne and she was thoroughly embarroused about it. It was fun.

The panel went for a bit, then i had to leave to assist in helping Tom DeSanto setup for his panel. This panel was the event of the Con for me. To those that were at the con and missed the DeSanto panel truely missed the very thing we Galactica fans' have been clammoring for all these years. Tom explained the direction that he was taking with Galactica during his attempt to revive it. It was a continuation folks, and a damn good one. Again, not everyone would be happy with what he did but like he said, sometime hollywood ties your hands. BUT Tom did not let that hold him back. He truely would have made us all proud, AND i believe he still will. Stay tuned.

Tom told us of the direction and it would have worked wonderfully. He also showed the production artwork that was second to none. They built the set's, designed a new viper, designed a living breathing community and here's the kicker, he wrote 3 different series bibles folks. Something that Ron has yet to comprehend. Tom had written a extended movie version, a 3 year, 5 year and was working on a 7 year series bible before production was shut down. Thank September 11th for basically make a dream die. They were 8 weeks from filming folks, and it would have been grand. Again, Tom has explained a bit of what DeSanto had in mind and i won't go into it but to those fans that were there, they got to see what was going to be the true Galactica.

Friday, some of us that worked on the trailer for Tom DeSanto with Foundation imaging got the ok from Tom to show the Galactica trailer that was made for him for the FX. It was an absolute thrill to see that on the screen for the fans and those in attendance saw what could have been, and what might still be. I'm glad they enjoyed it, it was a thrill for us to be able to share that rare moment with the fans. In fact i was really thrilled by a fan's reaction behind me. While the trailer was airing i got this remark from behind me, basically stating (F**ck me!). That said it all. Hopefully with some wrangling we maybe able to post that very trailer for all to see here at Colonial Fleets. Stay tuned. Well i'm tired, hopefully i've layed some discussion ground work here. Feel free to ask question's and we'll do our best to answer.

More later folks!

Old October 27th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #4
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Frack!

It was those damn terrorists!!!! Kill 'em all!!!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #5
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Yes Don Tom's panel and Richards trailers were a highlight for me as well as finally getting to meet faces behind the handles
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #6
nightscape2112
Warrior

thanks for the report, the more i read about what happened at galacticon the more i regret not selling my left arm to be there. however i am still glad to hear all about it. i would have loved to see the fx from desantos version, it sounds great. hopefully i will get to see it one day.

thanks again and get some much deserved rest.

the question i have is, how is michael doing? i remember something about health problems being the reason he left the boards. i hope he is in good health and spirits.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:37 AM   #7
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Micheal is doing great. We had numerous discussions about what has transpired over the years. Micheal and i have been at this for a very long time but the passion for Galactica has not left him. It burns brighter today than at anytime before.

He'll be back.

Old October 28th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #8
nightscape2112
Warrior

glad to hear he is doing well. i always had a great deal of respect for him, the way he handled his-self on the skiffy bboard.

he is a good guy, thanks

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #9
larocque6689
Warrior

Oh God I haven't heard from Adam/Mojo in a long time!

II remember the days when Foundation Imaging wanted their hands on the F/X of a new Galactica series. They (or at least, ex-employees) sort of got their wish come true.

Say hi to Adam and Lee.
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #10
viperman
Bad Email Address

Default Finally made it back!

Don, It was absolutely great meeting you and all the others from CF at the Con. And meeting Tom Desanto! I had to spend an extra day on LA because my scheduled flight back was canceled due to the fires. Dilbertman and I spent the time well, going to NBC and watching Jay Leno tape the tonight show. If anyone caught a glimpse of someone in a Colonial warrior jacket shaking hands with Jay Monday night, that was me!
viperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #11
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Hey Steve, same goes for me!

Old October 28th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #12
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Don
Are we going to open up a gallery to show our support for the TOS?
I know when Darrell gets time he is going to expand the BSG.con Gallery.
The more piks and stuff we can get the better to the support for the
version that Tom has in mind. Too bad we can't get a pik of the new "G"

S
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #13
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Steve, Tom and i talked at the Con extensively about expanding the Gallery section. I'd like to come up with something a little different if possible.

Were going to work on that though

Old October 28th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #14
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thank you Titon for all the info. Wish I could've been there with you all...
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #15
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
Muffit, you were there in spirit with us, plus a cute little girl was in a Muffit costume! You were not forgotten!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #16
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Steve, ! If you want to imagine the Moore G just think of something that looks like a family of armadillos lying in a group (except you don't see their heads or tails) and it's less organic and more geometric. It's not pretty. and it's not the Galactica. (No offense to anyone forced to work on it). At least Paramount knew enough to not so drastically fool with the Enterprise between it's TOS and the movie/TNG version. The ship was still recognizeable/kept the nice lines and basic geometric configuration of the original.

That said: the effects for the mini looked cool (kudos to Zoic)--even as unfinished as they were.

The effects for Great War of Magellan--lets just say that those are VERY cool ships....and Richard has a very saleable, watchable story to tell: I hope he finds the backing for it--though I can't imagine anyone not getting the concept. I think it would appeal to the Mad Max, Highlander, B5 and BSG fans, and likely the Farscape and Firefly ones too.

Tom DeSanto's presentation was a highlight for me. He had such a story planned to tell us. It was so well thought out it hurt to hear it: He even had a way thought out to write Jane Seymour in for an appearance...and it was cool. 1yr, 3yr, 5yr and 7yr story arcs....and you could tell how much he loved what we love when he was talking. Yea, I could trust him to take Apollo to the dark side and back--easily.

Terry Carter was neat: I so respect him and all that he's achieved. His stories were cool. I heard so many stories, I'm not sure who told my favorite.

I'll add more later....

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #17
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

LOL Just joking around Lee showed me some piks on sun.
S
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #18
dah66
Warrior

I'd just like to say that he convention well exceeded my expectations.

The celebrities were warm, accessible, and genuine.

Michelle and the convention staff did an incredible job.

Tom DeSanto's panel was so good it was painful. Here is someone that "gets it." His concepts were amazing across the board.

I'm so thankful that Richard Hatch stepped up to plate to put this together for the fans.

Also, without fail, the people that I knew only from the boards, and finally got to meet in person, were exceptional. I wish I could have met more of you!

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #19
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

For anyone that missed the Tom DeSanto panels, stay tuned. You may be pleasantly surprised when BattlestarPegasus.com returns...

Dave: "Painful" was the BEST word to describe what we saw. Gut-wrenchingly painful actually. Tom GETS IT... he always did. (Try living with that day in and day out without being able to share or show anything specific to the fan base while hearing anti-Tom stuff from supporters of the original series!! AAUGHH!!!! It was near-insanity!!)

Keep your fingers crossed for the future and your daughter may be able to say she not only met the producer of "X-Men" and "X2" but some other project(s), too. Here's hoping... (and being VERY patient.)

Michael
:colwar:
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #20
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

There's a couple of other convention staff you need to know did a great job contributing: a lady named Donna that did tons of coordinating (you rarely saw her, she was in the command center as much as Michelle was in the registration booth.) Coleen and Beth that assisted the guests (stars) a lot, Tom that moderated most of the panels, Greg and Al who were the security guys I saw the most (and there were a bunch of them I didn't even catch their names)...all of them did a bang-up job and believe me, it wasn't low stress work.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote