Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 27th, 2003, 06:12 AM   #1
larocque6689
Warrior

Default Richard's role in the Desanto pilot

I have read that one of the Desanto story elements was that of Cylon agents - humans who had give up their free will and were given cybernetic implants. This description came out of comments from Tom Desanto inside a SciFi Wire memo.

One of the plot descriptions of the pilot script that I read was that of "Manchurian Candidate" Cylons. That is to say, Colonials on New Kobol who disappeared and then suddenly reappeared, differently than before. According to Michael Faries, this plot development came right out of his conversations with Tom Desanto.

This ties into the intended role for Richard Hatch in the pilot. From my understandiing - and having followed this up with both Michael Faries and another reliable source - his role in the pilot was small. One of the plot elements was that Apollo was one of the Colonials who disappeared. He re-emerges on the final pages of the pilot script - as a Cylon spy.

Now that you guys (at Galacticon) have heard directly from Desanto himself, these are my two questions:

a) What role did Tom have for Richard Hatch in both the prospective pilot and the television series that would have followed
b) What comments did he make about the Colonials with cybernetic implants
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:13 AM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

that itsn't quite correct.

The original idea was to deal with what happened to all those colonists left behind or caught by the cylons as they were pursuing the galactica.

The cylon original plan was to have all the human's exterminated. DeSantos was going to include John Colicos as Baltar who has been caught again by the cylons. They have had enough of him and are going to exterminate him. Facing death he choses what he sees as his only chance to survive at all, he comes up with the plan to have humans become part of the cylon machine race.

But since Colicos died, Desanto doesn't want anyone else to be Baltar out of respect. So this is assumed to be what the cylons do with humans now.

Apollo is lost to the fleet. He is seen at the very end of the pilot, as the camera zooms in you see his eye is mechanical with a red glow inside.

The plan was to have father vs son for a planned tv series. (His son, now called Orin, is commander of the Galactica) How would they get Apollo back? And how would Orin/Boxey deal with his father leading the cylons against humanity. Sort of like Darth/Luke or Locutus/Riker.

me and a few people were talking that this would be a great way to bring back Serina, the angel froom the ship of lights who helps guide Boxey to find his father and to give comfort to Apollo.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

They could have cloned Baltar. Michael Ironside could have played a younger version.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #4
larocque6689
Warrior

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:57 AM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thanks for the info. I wonder what Richard's role would be in a possible movie continuation project since this script is as dead as a doornail?
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

its not as dead as you think it is.

its just that everything is dormant until the mini arrives.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

All I meant is that if Larson and Hatch are now getting along this should allow for a greater role for Apollo when the movie is finally shot.
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #8
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I think there's going to be obvious changes. Now that Tom has basically told everyone about his plans i'm sure a new script will be written. Glen is pretty stubborn and wants a story still based on the Pegasus. I believe alot of the actors form the original, no matter what we believe will have roles. How big those roles will be depends on the script. And depends on who's willing to reprise a role.

Terry Carter was emphatic about coming back. If it's done and they want me i'll be there he stated. His voice still resonates Tigh.

Old October 27th, 2003, 05:01 PM   #9
Rally
Shuttle Pilot

Default putting heads together

I hope that Larson, DeSanto and Hatch really put their heads together and leave whatever egos or baggage they might have at the door. From everything I heard over the weekend and judging from the vibe and demeanor I got from all three, this seems to be the case.

I think all will bring their ideas to the table and approach it as all being members of the same team. I think Larson is smart enough to know that he needs someone like DeSanto to get this feature film off the ground. DeSanto knows the value of Larson's experience and wisdom, oh and he owns the rights too =) Richard certainly speaks for lots of fans so his input will be great as well.

In short, I think all three value eachother and know that they all need eachother to make this movie project a reality.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #10
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default Great, Now You Guys Got Me Hoping Again,

A continuation-Movie with the white-hats in charge would be great!
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote