Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default I've been predicting a new series...

I've repeatedly said here that there was going to be a new Moore series. There was no need to get anxious and jumpy at every rumor. I knew the miniseries would make full series. It was only a matter of time.

In the end, I think this is great for everyone. Obviously this is great for fans of the show. But for the fans of the old show this is good too.

First of all it gives "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA" prominent name recognition. Then popular entertainment magazines and even a few tv shows will try to do articles on the new show. And with that there will be many articles exploring the show that spawned it. That will revive interest in Galactica. It will do more good than just about anything we happy few can do.

And besides that, it will be HEALTHY for the old fanbase. There is too much petty fanaticism in this fanbase. it is too focused on attacking the miniseries. Courtesy has too often been lost toward good people who's only crime is that they like the new show. I don't mean the troublemakers, but the good hearted "mini-fans" that get suspicion and paranoia that they are a clone.

The ATTACK DEFEND ATTACK mentality really has to DIE. And with the new series that method is pointless now. Its gone the way of the dinos. it may of been useful prior to the miniseries, but all it has done since was frustrate the TOS fans that liked the mini, TOS fans that don't like anger all the time, and us TOS fans who have websites like me and Don. It burns away support for a continuation. And the online fandom is pretty small relatively. You shouldn't be LOSING allies. But that's how we are.

Hopefully we plant a gravestone on this kind of thinking. Put away the protest signs and just have fun. Fun IS the purpose of the Fleets. Even more than supporting new shows, we are here to have fun more than ANYTHING else.

Please, you can take the wars elsewhere. This little island is for FUN!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Btw- I've always said it was pretty obvious that sooner or later there would be a new series. Here are some other predictions.

Until we find Glen Larson is trying to unload the rights to a movie for whatever cash he can get, you can count the continuation moive as heading toward production. it may take years. it may take until Desanto is done with his contracts for Xmen3 and Transformers. BUT IT WILL HAPPEN. its just going to take a few years to get going.

Online activisim will continue to be impotent. And the anger and frustration it breeds will do nothing but add negativity and infighting to the fanbase.

The new show will be a success, but it will be vastly different than the miniseries. its pacing will change. IF they are smart the lousy director they had won't touch the new show. Let him do another vampire movie. Also look for the new series to adapt to its audience more. It will probably be altered to increase the viability of the new show. Look for Kara Thrace and the rest of the cast to be given more humanity. You will be able to relate to them more than in the miniseries. Pacing will be changed. Lots more appearances by mechanical cylons.

It will probably move more toward the original series.

So says my tea leaves.

Old February 10th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #3
smilingassassin
Bad Email Address

Hell as a kid I loved the original series.....then when I grew up it seemed out of date.....due to the directing and acting style of the time. Now with the minie series my interest has been renewed, which is a good thing. I'm an avid model builder, but usually of WW2 warships, but now I'm on the lookout for a battlestar galactica model.....and I've even got a desire to kitbash a few and make some different ships.
Conundrum, am I correct in assuming that they are indeed making a new series? If this is true...SWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!
:laugh: :laugh:
smilingassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

if you haven't already read it in another thread, the Ron Moore series was announced by scifi as being extended to a 13 episode contact. The old series is at the point where a few big wigs have expressed a desire to produce a new show with the old cast. But seem to be waiting for more cogs to fall into place before they jump in. Nothing concrete. But I have faith. And my tea leaves say so.

Old February 11th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #5
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

The announcement didn't make quite as much noise as I expected.
Strange thing is that for me, news in the fanbase was more shocking that the official word that I assumed would be given.
And again, there is always something that could happen to derail the series.
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:52 AM   #6
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum7g
The ATTACK DEFEND ATTACK mentality really has to DIE. And with the new series that method is pointless now. Its gone the way of the dinos. it may of been useful prior to the miniseries, but all it has done since was frustrate the TOS fans that liked the mini, TOS fans that don't like anger all the time, and us TOS fans who have websites like me and Don. It burns away support for a continuation. And the online fandom is pretty small relatively. You shouldn't be LOSING allies. But that's how we are.
I am just about there tom.

Ever since that time my artwork was trashed by anti-mini people thinking it was official, my attitude toward all things galactica have been gradualy cooling.
I got a little hyped when u asked me back as mod, but it only made me realize the good times were really gone.
And this last attack on CF has pretty much cold toward Galactica in any form Mini, tos or otherwise.

I got the box set and never got around to watching it.
It sat next to my pc for weeks and I finally wound up giving it away as a last min. birthday gift.
That turned out to be sort of a positive tho since the friend i'd given it to had never seen Galactica excepf for my Saga of a Star World DVD and the Mini, and he thinks the original series is pretty cool now.

Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I really am sorry about that.

I know exactly how you feel. I got the dvds but the petty crap I've seen from the bg fanbase really burned me out. I didn't even finish my dvds. Not even the new extras.

All the stuff I had to deal with really left a bad taste in my mouth. And I know ALOT of people who feel the same way.

I HOPE and PRAY that the people who are warring for galactica realize that in the long run, all the negativity dooms galactica. Burns out the bulk of supporters and scares off the newbies.

Old February 11th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #8
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Yes, gentlemen, we've gone through a bad time. We were insulted, we were ignored, we were baited into great anger by (as it turned out) a few individuals whose sole purpose was to sow discord and took great joy in causing us to furiously run around in all different directions. We took it out on the most convenient target - and 9 out of 10 times, it was the people closest to us, who deserved it least.

One of the hardest things for the human animal to do is let go of anger. We hold grudges really, really well. And fans (particularly those who have been as badly used as this fan base has been) tend to hang on to such things even harder than most (remember that 'fan' is short for 'fanatic').

We are all fans of Battlestar Galactica. Some of us also like the RDM production of the same name. (Forgive me if that sounds like I'm slighting anyone - I'm really not, just showing my thought processes here). Therefore, it is kind of dumb to get all bent out of shape over what amounts to different TV shows. Coulda learned from Star Trek, here, huh?

So, cool down your feelings of burnout, gents. Relax. Take a good, deep breath. Enjoy the more civilized discourse on the reopened CF. At some point, hopefully not long distant, there will be a way for the newly enlarged BSG online fanbase to actually make a difference in the next goal for all Battlestar Galactica fans: The Movie.

The Great Wise Guru has spoken.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #9
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Just saw a promo on FOX for BSG the series
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #10
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Nice posts conundrum7g and Dawg!

Stevew, Really?

Was it for it on scifi or is it going to do a syndication type thing on fox, like Buffy and enterprise did/do, I wonder.
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #11
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Yup They showed the bar brawl scene
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I guess it's a given that we have become our own worst enemy.

You know, the sad part about this is that the ones, "to whose star we want to hitch our wagons", have barely chimed in to give their thoughts and possibly advice on how we could best help them. We have some very general info but, that's about it. We seemingly have the trigger on automatic and are hitting everything in sight EXCEPT the target.

The trouble is that many of us have good intentions on how to "bring back the original" but, we fail in the execution or don't properly consider all of the ramifications of those actions. Things that we may do to help achieve our dreams may come at the expense of those who liked the mini-series. Many of those folks have also stated that they would willingly help us (to get the movie) but, if we continue to trash-talk or try to take away something they like, are they going to be willing to support us in getting something we like?

It's taken me a good long time to REALLY warm up to this idea that we need each other. For too long, the actions by the NAMELESS ONE have clouded my judgment and that of many a 'continuation fan' and caused us to lump all the 'mini-series folks' into that same basket. That has got to stop! Many of the new folks are good people. We need to treat them that way.

I'm going to start right now by extending my hand, in friendship, to the folks that enjoyed the mini-series. I will honestly tell you that I will do everything that I can to help bring about a continuation movie but, I will not actively participate in anything that will promote derailing the mini-series/series. Whatever level of success the new show achieves will be solely based on the treatment given to it by its author and whether that treatment is accepted by those who watch it. In other words, it will sink or swim on its own. No more torpedo shots from me.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:52 PM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thumbs down

We fought like warriors for the show we still love to this very day. We are still fighting like warriors when we see our show being trashed to pieces. Embracing the new show reminds me of the Adama scene in Saga Of A Star World. This is the famous scene where Sir Uri wants them to disarm because the Cylons don't and will not see them as a threat if the Colonial War machine is gone.

Adama: Why should they be willing to accept this now when they haven't accepted this in the past.

This warrior isn't ready to hang up his boots just yet.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #14
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Embracing the new show reminds me of the Adama scene in Saga Of A Star World. This is the famous scene where Sir Uri wants them to disarm because the Cylons don't and will not see them as a threat if the Colonial War machine is gone.

Adama: Why should they be willing to accept this now when they haven't accepted this in the past.

This warrior isn't ready to hang up his boots just yet.
This warrior isn't 'embracing' the new show, either. I have come to realize, though, that the folks who like it are not my enemy.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #15
nccdee
Warrior

No one suggest the fight should end but it should be a fight to support a making a continuation, not wasting time attacking supporter of the mini.

Remember, public protest and/or attacks of TV shows (like the Simpson and Married with Children) have only increased their ratings (curiosity factor) and provided free advertising.

nccdee
nccdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #16
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Kingfish-

No one is saying to give up on the old show. But if you look at that poll we have of what show people support, except for one dissenting vote, we UNANIMOUSLY support the old show. So EVERYONE here supports the continuation. Everyone. So even if you are defending the old show, if you are pissing anyone off then you are eroding the support for our continuation.

And I mean "you" generally. I know you Kingfish wouldn't be abrasive. I'm directing my comments against the trend amoung TOS hardcore fans who don't believe these BSG03 fans are our friends and allies.

I think that poll REALLY stands out.

Old February 12th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #17
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

If I recall correctly many of the "NEW" fans of the show only supported the original premise when it was shown that Larson was no threat to them seeing the Moore production. Up until then they bashed Larson's work to no end.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:09 AM   #18
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

It really is difficult to pin down other peoples motives, unless one is psychic.

I am not at all interested in proving my love for TOS. I've got the toys in the attic, a few audio cassette tapes from a time that I did not have a VCR, and a series of bubble gum collectors cards that show my devotion to BSG from a time long ago.

The notion that those of us who were there from the beginning, but do not either hate the RDM version, or do not labor for someone elses idea of an ideal continuation are some kind of enemy is insulting.
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #19
nccdee
Warrior

I understand that fans were against Larson idea because he was planning to racially change the Cylon race (tripod, tranforming ships, completely new race). Same was said about viper being able to transform. I went to Cylon.org, which has quite a bit of information on all the projects except for Larson (except to say it with Cain, Earth and Atlantis). And the last anyone has heard from Larson was 4 years ago. He does not seen active in sparking anyone interest in his own version like Richard Hatch has been doing.

Would TOS fans be satified to have Cain and not Galactica? Would Hatch and the other cast would even do it with Larson knowing they were not the "star" of this production? For the die-hard TOS maybe having any TOS cast in Larson version would be a sell-out. Universal could have just said the heck with it and waited another 20 years, just make sure the original would be too old to come back and larson would not be around.

So many ideas and so many ways to spin it. Right now, a uniquely different version of the Galactica universe is alive and on TV. That is a very big start.

nccdee
nccdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #20
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Excellent post Dawg.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #21
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
If I recall correctly many of the "NEW" fans of the show only supported the original premise when it was shown that Larson was no threat to them seeing the Moore production. Up until then they bashed Larson's work to no end.
Before the miniseries, it was basically Dennis, Hito and a couple of people who are still on our ban list.

Hito just wanted to wait until the show was on to judge it. A very reasonable attitude.

Dennis is still very critical of the old series, though I think he's still a fan of it unless all the hate thrown at him changed that. And Hopefully would support the continuation with the quid pro quo that it is written well.

The others we had problems with were less of what they believed in but how they interacted with other members. The division on the new show just brought conflicts to the surface immediately. The arguments were inevitable. But not because of which side they were on.

Old February 12th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #22
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I think you're right about that Tom.

Arguements are inevitable. But like
any family though ......... we can
get along and simply agree to
disagree.
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #23
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
There is too much petty fanaticism in this fanbase. it is too focused on attacking the miniseries. Courtesy has too often been lost toward good people who's only crime is that they like the new show. I don't mean the troublemakers, but the good hearted "mini-fans" that get suspicion and paranoia that they are a clone.
Although i've stated that fighting over a television show is ludicrous in the first place you have to also give creedence to how this all began. It began when a few individuals that supported Ron Moore took it too far to begin with and there the ones that must be blamed for this all out war. First off in my observation of all of this it comes down to a few radicals that cannot seperate life from reality. It's happening once again over at another website that will remain nameless. I've called for peace on the simple aspect i was sick and tired of dealing with threats and lawsuit promises from people that have never even met me over a 30 year tv show. Now how rediculous is that.

The people have there mini series. I'm stuck in the middle of this folks but i'm also here to support those that still live and breath the TOS.

Now let's just move on and forget about fixing everything because in the long run that just unrealistic.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #24
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

In the end people will like what they like. Hey, I like Galactica 1980!

Everyone and everything has their turn on the wheel of life, I just hope it comes around one day to the beginning again, when everything old is new.

We shall see.

Peter
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #25
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thank you for your insight Titon.
Good post Peterl.
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #26
Antelope

Dawg and Conumdrum hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the welcome. Like conundrum I feel that if the new series is to succeed it will have to move toward TOS. Believe me if we don't like Kara Thrace a year from now the series will be cancelled. She either is based on Sheba or needs to become like Sheba real quick. I think Moore is going to surprise some of the anti-mini crowd. It will be better than many expect (so I hope!).
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #27
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Until they get rid of much of the wanton sex and violance
that occured in the Mini ..........neither I or my children
will be watching the 'series' ...........especially if Bammer's
'wish' to move away from 'space scifi' is put into play.
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #28
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccdee
I understand that fans were against Larson idea because he was planning to racially change the Cylon race (tripod, tranforming ships, completely new race). Same was said about viper being able to transform. I went to Cylon.org, which has quite a bit of information on all the projects except for Larson (except to say it with Cain, Earth and Atlantis). And the last anyone has heard from Larson was 4 years ago. He does not seen active in sparking anyone interest in his own version like Richard Hatch has been doing.
Actually he spent a lot of last summer & fall in and out of court winning his theatrical movie rights to BSG free & clear of Universal. He's stated he's interested in working with Tom DeSanto, schedules allowing and he's shooting for getting a movie off the ground in the next 2 years. (the last thing he's said before and not done, so only time will truly tell.)

Quote:
Would TOS fans be satified to have Cain and not Galactica? Would Hatch and the other cast would even do it with Larson knowing they were not the "star" of this production?
I'm sure they'll be making individual choices per how good the script is. Like actors always do. They all loved the show though, so there's always that chance.
Quote:
For the die-hard TOS maybe having any TOS cast in Larson version would be a sell-out. Universal could have just said the heck with it and waited another 20 years, just make sure the original would be too old to come back and larson would not be around.
1st sentence: wrong, near as I can tell: as long as Larson doesn't call Todd Moyer . 2nd: They had to make something or Sonny Bono law would have been enacted and Larson would now hold ALL of the BSG rights.

Quote:
So many ideas and so many ways to spin it. Right now, a uniquely different version of the Galactica universe is alive and on TV. That is a very big start.
It's the start of one thing, we can hope it will throw some extra sparks to start others.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #29
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thanks for all the info Jewels. I appreciate it!
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #30
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
I hope you will reconsider your "many" portion of that statement. As a fan who only got involved in the online portion of the Galactica universe after I saw the mini, I think I had a pretty objective view, as I had no involvement in anything that went on until after the mini aired. What I saw was a few extremely vocal people who made everyone else look bad. And that goes for TOS fans who were anti-mini. For the most part, there was a very vocal minority that was just as hateful and mean as the few anti-continuation fans who made so many waves.

For the most part, I have seen that both "sides" can at least agree to disagree. I'd love to see a continuation movie. I'd love to see any Galactica at anytime and any where.

Just my $0.02, though.
unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote