Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old March 18th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #1
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Lightbulb The 14th Colony Survey - Part I of III

Welcome to my mind. Well, not really. If you had entered my mind you would be covered with blue gooey brain matter. But welcome to my thinking mode, anyway. I am quite new to these boards, as you can see by my member title, so as a means of widespread introduction I come bearing gifts. Well, not real gifts per se, but I come bearing surveys, or personal questionairs if you will. On another sci-fi board where I am very active, I had created 3 surveys for fellow posters to read, answer, and enjoy, and to get to know more about each other and about themselves. The following is the first of the three. If you take part, I hope you enjoy answering it, and reading others' replies. Simply copy and paste the questions into the answer box and add your responses. Thanks! :jestor:

1-How old are you; are you male or female; and what state or nation are you in? Do you speak any languages other than English?

2-Are you in school or college; what is or what was your major?

3-What is your career, and/or eventual goal for it?

4-Are you married or in a serious relationship? If so, does your partner share, tolerate, or loathe your love for Battlestar Galactica and/or sci-fi and/or fantasy?

5-Do you have children; how old; and do they or will they share your BG and sci-fi interest and/or obsession?

6-How long have you been a fan; and when did you become one?

7-What kind of sci-fi and/or fantasy do you enjoy other than Galactica? What are your favorite sci-fi and/or fantasy books, movies, and TV?

8-What is it about BG and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences…?

9-What are your hobbies? Do you collect sci-fi memorabilia, write or draw sci-fi and fantasy?

10-How long have you been posting in sci-fi forums? Why do you frequent these boards? What do you get out of it; and what do you hope to give to others?

11-Who were your childhood heroes or role models?

12-What film or TV characters do you slightly or largely resemble in appearance and/or personality and actions?

13-Name something you dreadfully fear yet dearly love and enjoy and/or find relaxation and fascination from?

14-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends? And, what message do you want inscribed on your tombstone?

15-If you could contribute one aspect of yourself to all of humanity, what would it be?

16-If a book or movie were to be made about your life, what would you have it called?

17-If you could figuratively “consume” or absorb three famous people to gain or understand their particular knowledge, attitudes, and insights, who would they be and why?

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
https://www.facebook.com/legoshine
My Writing Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/InSpi...47884321946870
The 14th Colony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #2
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

1-I'm 10, but I was born in 1965; I'm all woman; I live in Baltimore, Maryland, birthplace of the US national anthem; and I used to be conversational in Spanish, but not anymore.

2-I spent 2 years in college studying photography, but found out how hard it is to make any money at it and now it's little more than a hobby.

3-I don't have a career, I've had a succesion of jobs. Too many to list here. Seriously.

4-I am single.

5-No children.

6-I fell for BSG about 5 minutes into the series premier in 1978.

7-I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, really. I'm an entertainment fan.

8-See #7. If I'm entertained by it, I'll watch.

9-I'm addicted to my computer. If I'm not online, then I'm playing the pinball game that came with my XP, or The Sims.

10-I post at two boards that are primarily sci-fi, and have been doing so for little over a year. I read an article in EW magazine that resparked my interest in BSG, and went looking for info, when I found the two boards I found them populated with some pretty neat people, so I stayed for them. What I get from these two boards is friendship, and that's all I can hope to give.

11-The only hero or role model I can think of was my grandfather, my Popo.

12-Wow, tough one. Maybe a cross between sisters Roseanne and Jackie from "Roseanne" with a bit of Denise Huxtable mixed in for fun?

13-The only things I really fear are my own insecurities, and sadly, I do occasionally feed them.

14-I hoe to be remembered for having uplifted people, and I don't want a tombstone, or a funeral. I want to be cremated and have my ashes tossed to the wind.

15-The desire to make people smile.

16-"It was interesting".

17-I cannot even begin to answer this question. Blood is pouring from my ears from the effort.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #3
shadehntr

1- I'm 38,is definately male.Is from Oklahoma.I just speak English.

2.I am not in college.So I do not have a major.

3.I do not work is disabled this si my only way out and get to know people on the computer.

4.No I am not married.Don't have a partner if I did though they must like sci fi stuff though!

5.No kids I am a kid at heart!

6.I was a sci fi fan when I first watched Dark Shadows when I was a kid on tv and it used to scare me.

7.Likes Star Wars and Trek a little bit even though I won't watch Trek no more unless it's old reruns of DS9 or TNG or Kirk!Likes vampire stuff also.

8.Gives me a escape from reality and wishes it was real.

9.Computer and video games mainly.Loves playing my XBOX game system all the time.

10.Since April of last year off and on.

11.Luke SkyWalker was a major hero for me and then not ever having to do nothing with sci fi errrm a championship wrestler The Junk Yard Dog was.He got me to watching wrestling way back then.

12.Errrm Andy Griffith Show.This place really reminds me of that lil town called Mayberry,lol.

13.I fear the war in Iraq.And I love to sit around all hours of the night and watch movies or play my video games.

14.That I was a fun loving person who loves to joke and kid around and was well liked from others and helped out as much as I could.Don't want a tombstone wants to be cremated and put in a wall.Guess if I had a choice it would be "Darren is here."

15.Everyone just be nice to everyone all the time.

16.the life and times of Darren and his adventures.

17.I don't really no.Don't no one famous.
Old March 24th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #4
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Are You Some Kind of Ron Moore Spy Gathering Data on the Enemy?

I fear no one!

1. Just turned 36, Male, in Oklahoma from NY, No.

2. No, Film and History

3. Weather Forecaster, maybe broadcast meteorology...probably will do something else.

4. No

5. No

6. 24 3/4 years, Sept17th1978eightPM

7. Non-Re-imagined Space Operas, the Treks, Star Wars, SAAB, just got into Farscape

8. Traveling to distant worlds through a field of stars, Hero's raising to the occassion. Bad Ass Starships blowing away the EVIL Cyclones yeah!

9. Participating in live community Theater, Muscle cars/1996 Corvettes, only Galactica stuff, draw Vipers, raiders and capital ships.

10. Last October, to save Battlestar Galactica from Ron Moore...no really I'm not kidding.

11. The Warriors of Battlestar Galactica, Ronald Reagan, and my dad the NYC Cop

12. An Alec Baldwin/Bruce Willis morph appearance wise...Politically all Bruce Willis zero Alec Baldwin

13. Jumping out of an airplane or repelling down a rock-face

14. That I loved and cared for those around me, my art weather it's acting or filmmaking, every man dies not every man really lives

15. Compassion

16. Dysfunction Junction

17. Ron Moore, David Eick and Bonnie "pretty mouth" Hammer, to find out why they want to FUBAR Galactica

Another Film Maker

Last edited by Sept17th; March 24th, 2003 at 07:23 PM..
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 08:03 AM   #5
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Hi All!

1) 37 years of age. Male. N.Y.C. Born in Hoboken N.J. I speak day to day japanese.

2) Graduated art/animation school. Animation major.

3) Career: Animator 2-D (no job at present) To create a mature sci fi /action adventure t.v. series for the 12 to adult market.

4) Not married, no relationships,.....Damnit! When I worked in Japan, I lived with a Japanese family,and the mother of the family was an animator, and loved a good portion of the shows and movies I did. Hiroko Takemoto is a superior and wonderful lady, I owe her much.

5) No children, I tried to get my nephews into BSG to no avail,they rather play EverQuest or Warcraft III.

6) Loved BSG since its Premiere.

7) LIVE: Trek, Twlight Zone, Outerlimits,(just the Originals) Who, 1999, Red Dwarf and so many but hardly any of the new stuff. Its just too boring.
BOOKS: Michael Moorecock's Elric of Melnibone series along with all the eternal hero stories. (R.D.Moore STAY AWAY!)
ANIME: Space Battleship Yamato, Galaxy Express 999, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Matsumoto Ideals, Cyborg 009, original Gatchaman, Miyazaki animation, and tons of Old anime that hasn't made it here yet.

8) I enjoy the whole "Charriets of the Gods" Idea,and the subtleties that Galactica had to offer, that so many people missed. Heroic cleancut characters with Honor like Apollo, Kirk(Trek), Kodai(Yamato), Harlock(Space Pirate) I also love a positive twist on characters even if they are dark and complex underdogs like Elric.
Give me powerful drama, and Opera,a sence of wonder, the WOW of it all,not the drab talk talk talk of the science and current trend of explaining everything to death. Its entertainment after all, let me use MY imagination. Be creative!

9) Soundtracks and now building model semi trucks,go to [url]www.PlasticCowboy, those models inspired me to return to building them. I have tons of sci fi stuff and am most proudest of is the rare merchandise from very old and obscure anime. I like to write screeplays but never sold any.

10) Not long, its all still rather new to me. I can't fathom why people crap on each other through the intternet,I guess its all the fighting that goes on in the real life scenarios that winds up back on the internet. I reserve my posts to only a few websites that pique my intrest, BSG, Filmscore monthly, or Modeling.

11) Funny thing is,.....most of my "Heros" have dirt on them, and are no longer held in high esteem. sad really.
William Shatner (right youre wife fell in the pool)
Robert Blake (yea OK Bob)
OJ Simpson I'm no sports fan however he did have carisma, was great in a few films and tv commericials, then,....Nicole. No Thanks!
Mr. Yoshinobu Nishizaki producer (tryant) of the entire Space Battleship Yamato run. Caught selling and using herion and coke,...Sayonara Nishi-Kun!

12) Looks? Well a feind of mine told me I look like Charlie Sheen,but that was a Loooooooong time ago, recently a friend called me a fat bastard. "personality and actions" I am not interested in celeb personas and such so I cant tell you who out there is like me.

13) Ohhh a good question!! My failing Career and its frailities. I love the "ART" of Film making and animation, however I find the people in control have a lack of vision or love to push animation and its stories.
Especially the PTB here in NYC, the fact that they think I can't contribute to ANY animation series is a personal blow to me and my inspirations. Don"t get me started!

14) I have a bad rep because I want to do so much more than the people in control want to do , so I'm a boat rocker,don't play well with others,rude, pushy and have a abrasive personality, all false. My Deathstone? YAMATO HA SHIN!

15) My love for meeting new people, and the experience gained from it.

16) Title about my life? "Hoboken Terminal" I believe this palce to be detrimental to my youth,no one here had any dreams, or aspriations, dont know how i'd fare if I was born in another city or state, but I would hope it would've had more positive people, and opourtunities.

17) TERRY GILLIAM JERRY GOLDSMITH RIN TARO (anime director)

heh heh this was fun!

Laters

Rich.

Last edited by The Blue Mule; March 26th, 2003 at 08:05 AM..
The Blue Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:09 PM   #6
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

1-
I AM 52 YEARS OLD ALTHOUGH I HAD A MAN ,YESTERDAY, TELL ME I LOOKED 36. I AM FEMALE, I LIVE IN FLORIDA....ENGLISH IS ALL I NEED AT THE PRESENT BUT WOULD LOVE TO SPEAK SPANISH, RUSSIAN AND JAPANESE

2-
GRADUATED NURSING SCHOOL IN 1970.....AND I WORK IN THE OPERATING ROOM AT A HOSPITAL

3-
I AM A NURSE AND A WRITER AND WOULD LOVE TO GO INTO ACTING...AND WILL WELCOME ALL TIPS....

4-
SINGLE AND STAYING THAT WAY, ALTHOUGH I WOULDN'T MIND HAVING A GREAT GUY TO PAL AROUND WITH....AND.......

5-
3 GROWN KIDS AND THEY SUPPORT MY PASSIONS

6-
BEEN A FAN FROM DAY ONE...ACTUALLY I THINK I WAS THE FIRST FAN OF EVERYTHING

7-
I LOVE STAR TREK, STAR WARS, X-MEN, LOTR, STARGATE, FARSCAPE..EVERYTHING SCI-FI

8-
DON'T HAVE SPACE FOR THIS ONE...LOL

9-
YES, YES, YES, YES AND YES

10-
BEEN POSTING I YEAR AND HAVING FUN.

11-
ROLE MODEL WAS FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE...I WANTED TO BE LIKE HER UNTIL I FOUND OUT IN HIGH SCHOOL THAT SHE WAS A PROTITIUTE AND NOT A NURSE AND ONLY HELPED OUT AS A VOLUNTEER..STILL HAD RESPECT FOR HER.....JUST DIDN'T WANT TO BE A HOOKER.....

12-
THE VERY PRETTY AND TALENTED FILM CHARACTER I HAVE BEEN MISTAKEN FOR IS ............... NO....IT WAS NOT FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE.....

13-
GOING TO BED AT NIGHT SCARES ME SOMETIMES BECAUSE OF MY DREAMS AND IF I WROTE THEM DOWN I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SOME GREAT SCREENPLAYS

14-
I AM NOT GOING TO DIE BUT IF I EVER DO, IT WOULD BE.. STEPPED THROUGH THE GATE TO P3C-117 ON MY CREMATION JAR.

15-
MY LOVE FOR HUMANITY...SOME OF IT DOES PISS ME OFF THOUGH

16-If a book or movie were to be made about your life, what would you have it called?
I COPYRIGHTED IT, " RURAL FREE DELIVERY" hopefully to hit the stands next year.....

17-If you could figuratively “consume” or absorb three famous people
IAN MC CLELLEN.....HIS LOVE OF THEATER
GEORGE LUCAS....HIS LOVE OF HIS CRAFT
MY DAD.....HOW HE LIVED WITH ME FOR 18 YEARS....WELL, HE WAS FAMOUS TO ME......

Last edited by emerita; May 3rd, 2003 at 09:13 AM..
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #7
bsg1fan1975
Major

1. feamle. 27. Rhode Island. none

2. not yet.

3. office work

4. dating. he watches it

5.no kids

6.since i was small

7. Star wars

8. it stretches my imagination and is something to relax with

9. crafts, music, tv, reading

10. 2 yrs now

11. my mom is my role model

12. Athena from BSG

13. writing short stories

14. the kind of person i tried to be. the good times and bad times in my life. beloved wife and mother.

15. how i try to help someone in need

16. Bumps in the road of life"

17. Abraham Lincoln, Helen Keller and George Carlin

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:47 PM   #8
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Thanks for taking part in my survey, those of you who did. I should cut and paste my own answers soon, or rewrite them. I had originally created this survey and others like it on another sci-fi board that I moderate at, and I figured since I'm fairly new to this board what would be a better way to get enable people to get to know each other, and give them a peek into my mind of curiosity? Anyway, be on the lookout for my answers, and if you haven't done the survey, what are you waiting for?

:sunshi:

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back as a bowling ball...because that's how I roll.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old May 2nd, 2003, 04:45 PM   #9
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Yeah, what ARE y'all waiting for?

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #10
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

My answers, Part 1:

1-How old are you; are you male or female; and what state or nation are you in? Do you speak any languages other than English?
36, male, Florida. Me speaka only English.

Back in 2 different colleges I had majored in first television broadcasting and creative writing; and then commercial fashion and glamour photography.

I am the manager of a photo lab in a busy drugstore chain. I am also a photographer, and I used to shoot model portfolios and a few weddings and Bar Mitzvahs. My childhood talent, dream, and expectation had been that as an adult I would complete and publish my books and write movies to share my imagination and fantasies with the rest of the world. Since I was seven years old I have spent my life harboring and developing a sci-fi/fantasy/adventure series of ten to seventeen books (of which I have now whittled down to a tight nine books with the possibility for three more sequels), which I had given up on doing anything with several years ago. But now I have been working on that series again and I believe it has a beyond-good chance of being a worthy epic.

I also spent a lot of time a couple years ago and last year developing a 2-book Star Wars series set 300 years after ROTJ (I have an outline and draft summary for the first one and a brief outline for the second).

I was so bummed out when I saw that one of the Attack of the Clones plot lines is very similar to one in my own story; and also that after AOTC my French Connection-like-Coruscant-air-chase scene in my book won’t be original anymore. Drats. Confound it; I’ve been beaten to the punch again! Dang that Lucas, he always gets to tell his stories before I do!

Back to the point, my eventual, hoped for goal is to publish my 9 book sci-fi series, my 2 (maybe 3) book Star Wars EU series, my non-sci-fi dramatic novels, and my book of poetry, song lyrics, and short stories.

I also began work this year on a Battlestar Galactica novel set 25 years after the time frame of the original series, with Apollo now commanding the Galactica and continuing his father's quest, and a whole new adventure with Starbuck, Boomer, a grown Boxey, and new characters as well. I question whether I should bother finishing my ideas, since Mr. ForaPaycheckForaSagaWithoutHeartandSoulMoore has effecively squashed any hopes for a continuation.

4-Are you married or in a serious relationship? If so, does your partner share, tolerate, or loathe your love for Battlestar Galactica and/or sci-fi and/or fantasy?
I had been in a serious relationship with a fellow Star Wars fanatic that I met on a Star Wars message board I have frequented for years since before The Phantom Menace came out, a relationship that became an engagement for marriage. Sadly, it did not work out, but I am now left with the pursuit of my life goals to get my writing career started and fulfilled.

5-Do you have children; how old; and do they or will they share your BG and sci-fi interest and/or obsession?
No. But I am a 36-year-old child, does that count?

I loved sci-fi since I was a little kid, and anything with space fighters excited me. I loved the British TV series UFO when I was a kid and I craved somemore more like that. Then Star Wars came along when I was 10 and it blew my mind. I became an instant fanatic, and wanted something else in a similar vein but there was nothing else. Then came Battlestar Galactica. I was an instant BG fan and fanatic even before it had its premier on TV. I was hooked on the show as soon as I saw the first commercial for it!

7-What kind of sci-fi and/or fantasy do you enjoy other than Galactica? What are your favorite sci-fi and/or fantasy books, movies, and TV?

As I said, I am a diehard Star Wars fan. I also enjoy the Star Trek films with the original series actors in them, though I was not a fan of the original show. I loved ST:The Next Generation and to this day it is one of my favotire shows; though ironically I don't care for the Next Generation ST films. Go figure. I love Lord of the Rings, but I still haven't read the books, unfortunately. Terminator 1 and 2, the Abyss, Aliens, Total Recall, Silent Running, Star Crash, Lost in Space (TV show, not the film), Close Encounters, Indiana Jones. When I was young I also loved the cartoons Star Blazers and G.I. Joe.

8-What is it about BG and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences…?

I love space battles between fighter craft, and between capital vessels, and lightsaber duels immensely. What I enjoy most, however, is the sense of fantasy and different environment that take me away from the accustomed awareness of Earth. I like being taken away to a sense of understanding and awareness so far removed that it touches my mind with the vastness and…wait, let me start over since I can’t quite explain this. I like to have my mind opened to environments so different from what I’m used to that I zone out and imagine that world as real and around me. The bogs of Dagobah, the air space between the spires of Coruscant, a mile above the surface, and the immense size of those structures and colossal scope of the planet-wide city, the cold dark deep of “The Abyss”, the tranquil and soft light and appearance of Rivendale in LOTR, the main characters of my 9 part sci-fi series fighting a war on the other side of the galaxy being in places so vastly different and unfamiliar that it boggles the mind; the feeling I felt in the Italian film Star Crash with the soft glowing hue of the red, green and blue stars, and the hazy visuals of characters and environments, even despite the horrible acting, made me forget where I was and truly experience that fictional escape from my own world. So the response to my question would be in the examples given above, “the off-Earth environments and architecture;” and “the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences…”

9-What are your hobbies? Do you collect sci-fi memorabilia, write or draw sci-fi and fantasy?

I used to shoot glamour photography for money and mostly fun, but I’ve been away from that for a few years. I used to take photos of my friends and everything I did and went, but now I can’t even pick up a camera. Maybe because I run a photo lab and see thousands of pictures every day and I’m burnt out from photography.
I love writing sci-fi and non-sci-fi stories, and I used to write many poems and lyrics for songs. When I was younger I spent hours at a time designing and drawing star ships and futuristic cities. Now I have several star ships made from Lego (my own designs, not from kits), and I have a 30,000+-piece city with 2 foot high spires made from Lego, inspired by and representing Coruscant. I’ve spent countless hours over the past 2 years, and nearly 1000 dollars on Lego building this city, but it is a marvel and a joy to look at each day; and a reminder to me of my imagination and potential.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #11
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

My answers Part 2:

10-How long have you been posting in sci-fi forums? Why do you frequent these boards? What do you get out of it; and what do you hope to give to others?

I’ve been posting on a SW forum since September of 1998, after I went desperately searching for any pre-SW:Episode I info on the coming movie. I found this particular message board after I heard rumors of a new Galactica, first by DeSantos and then the version by Moore, and I wanted to learn what other Galactica fans like me were thinking about these new developements. So I did a BG search and found this board, and I liked everything that I saw here, inlcuding the posters her and the layout and appearance of the boards. And that's why I return every so often, to catch up a bit on what's new and exciting among BG fans.

I like reacting to what others write, and sharing my own thoughts with others to spread a little bit of myself around (don’t worry, I washed it before I touched you with it). Mostly I enjoy using and expanding my mind via episodes of reading and writing on the net and in the forums, and it is to me a launching ground for further thought and expression. I admit I use the forum to procrastinate and vegetate when I have trouble working on my stories and need to work on something simpler to take a break from taxing my mind When I have trouble developing my stories further, it is far easier to come here and relax, less draining than struggling with the right words and expressions for my works of fiction; and by posting here I build up my sense of creative direction and sometimes manage to focus more. Or something like that.

John Robinson, captain of Jupiter 2-Lost in Space, my favorite show when I was a little one. Ed Straker of Shadow Forces-the 60’s show UFO. Adama and Apollo of BG. My father, a hero and a people’s man, a friend and role model to many others in the Boy Scouts, synagogue, and the neighborhood. Luke Skywalker, a dreamer with his eyes on the future, the horizon, never his mind on where he was or what he was doing…but on what he wanted to achieve and become far beyond his humble and uneventful life.

12-What film or TV characters do you slightly or largely resemble in appearance and/or personality and actions?
Andy Sipowitz in seriousness, brooding, and moods; Drew Carey; Homer Simpson in belly and hair, childishness and lack of motivation; Jerry Seinfeld in comments and expressions, and sometimes George Constanza in paranoia and self-defeating nature; Chandler Bing in clumsiness, expression, and insecurity, and Ross Geller in moodiness and outlook; and Luke Skywalker.

13-Name something you dreadfully fear yet dearly love and enjoy and/or find relaxation and fascination from?
The ocean, and dark water in general. I am a good swimmer and have no fears of drowning, no, it’s the fear of not being able to see under me or around me in dark water and the panic of being vulnerable. Damn Spielberg and Benchley! They scarred me for life! I’ve been to the beach and hung out in 4 feet of water but it’s nerve-wracking. I have a lake behind my condo and I used to own a SeaDoo XP personal watercraft. People would watch me going at high speed doing tricks, turns, and spins in the water and wiping out, and didn’t believe that I was terrified of the very water that gave me so much fun and thrills. I would fly off and hit the water, then casually swim back and get on and do it again, but despite the façade of calm that I managed to present I was terrified of being in the water. But despite ignoring my fear to enjoy riding, I never rode at night, because that was even more terrifying. Likewise the ocean at night scares the hell out of me. At times I have gone to the beach at night when I was upset, stressed, and anxious, and sat by the water’s edge to think and sort things out in my mind. I can’t explain it, but my fear of the dark water, amid the quiet of the night, calmed me and relaxed me. Maybe because it convinced me that the terror of the water near me was greater than the fear inside me, and I saw that the darkness beyond was vaster than the darkness within.

14-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends? And, what message do you want inscribed on your tombstone?
My books, my stories. I fear not dying per se, but dying without my dreams seeing the light of day and people experiencing what I’ve so wanted to share.
My tombstone message: “Damn it moron! Get off my head with those spiked boots!”
Or: “What the hell’s leaking?”
Or: “Would somebody tell the neighbors to stop rolling in their graves? I can’t sleep with all that noise!”
No, Seriously, on my tombstone: “In life he tried, failed; tried again, failed; tried again, and finally succeeded.”
Either that, or "Hey, what was his name again?"

15-If you could contribute one aspect of yourself to all of humanity, what would it be?
My sensitivity and humility. I know that’s 2 things, but I think one compliments the other, and vice-versa. Maybe with an abundance of those 2 wrapped into one, there would be more peace and less hatred in the world. If 2 enemies became sensitive to the other’s needs and dreams, and each realized they were not better than the other, there would be no division.

“Out of the Darkness, Into the Light”, about my 22 year battle with depression and my hoped for release from its shroud.

17-If you could figuratively “consume” or absorb three famous people to gain or understand their particular knowledge, attitudes, and insights, who would they be and why?
1-Stephen Hawking. I am poor in understanding of science and physics, and I would savor his ability to understand the mysteries that baffle me.
2-Arthur C. Clark. In addition to my own imagination, I would like to gain his understanding of the cosmos and the ability to write science fiction with such realism and believability.
3-My father Harry. He went through the Holocaust and survived living on the streets and running from the Nazis, then came to America and built a life for himself. I didn’t get to know him when I was a child as well as I miss him as an adult, but he was a brave man with physical and emotional strength. I don’t envy his memory of horrors and fights for life, but I wish I knew better his ability to risk death, brave desperate odds, and keep his confidence and faith in God. Later in life he was a strong man and a hell of a fighter (before I was born he took on 2 men at once and handed them their asses after they dissed his girl, my mother), and when I was a kid I was a wimp.

:p

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #12
bsg1fan1975
Major

God Bless your father 14th. I hope history remembers people like him and doesn't forget what those experiences teach us future generations.

Old May 6th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #13
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

My Dad's name was Harry too....
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #14
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
God Bless your father 14th. I hope history remembers people like him and doesn't forget what those experiences teach us future generations.
Thank you bsg1fan. I hope so too. :baloon:

Emerita,
Quote:
My Dad's name was Harry too....
Really? Um...sis?

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #15
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

OK, more than you wanted to know about the Dawg:

I’m 46, male, live in Oregon, USA. I speak American (people like LKJ and Peter Noble speak English), and a few words of French, Spanish, German, (enough to order specific foods) and I can count to 10 in Japanese.

No. I went to a “trade” school to be a Paralegal.

Right now I run a small law office. That’s my job. In real life I’m a writer of science fiction. I’d like to support myself and my family on my writing, but I have to get published and popular first.

I’m very married to a wonderful woman who is, for the moment, tolerating my BSG obsession. She doesn’t fully share my love for sci-fi/fantasy, but does enjoy the better bits of it, and really likes my writing.

My stepdaughter presented us with a grandson last December, which brings her total to 3 - two girls and now a bouncing baby boy. That should give you a rough idea of how old she is....... Unfortunately, she doesn’t much like sci-fi - but her husband does!

25 years. I’ve been a fan since the premier. I've loved science fiction as long as I can remember, though.

I’ve been a fan of the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises from the beginning, although my enthusiasm for both has begun to wane in these later years (they seem to be getting tired). I love dragons - McCaffrey’s in particular. Also, if you can find them, check out the two-volume anthology from several years ago (edited by Orson Scott Card) called “Dragons of Darkness” and “Dragons of Light”. There’s a short story by Roger Zelazney in the “Light” book that is hilarious. Otherwise, I’m a sucker for good space opera, sword and sorcery (Terry Goodkind, for example) etc.

8-What is it about BG and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences……?

Yes. Each story has its own appeal. With any of them it’s the whole package: carefully crafted mythology, off-Earth environments, advanced and alien technologies, everything as long as it is done well. BSG is a prime example, if you discount the actual production glitches. It’s still a great story.

I write sci-fi and a little fantasy. I don’t have time for anything else. Oh, and I do go play paintball in the woods once a month or so.

I’ve only been posting a couple of months, unless you count about a week a few years ago on a poetry board . I’m here and I stay here because I’m gratified to find so many other people who feel as I do about something, who are interested in maintaining a pretty friendly atmosphere, and I hope that I can contribute something to the cause. Long Live the Real Galactica!

In real life? My dad, first and foremost. He’s 83 now, and still going strong (but slowing down a little). Chuck Yeager, although I’d never have those kind of guts (I don’t fly well). Fictional? At various points I wanted to be the Lone Ranger, Green Hornet (or Kato - Bruce Lee - wow), Batman and Superman, of course. Role Models? I am very much my father’s son, thank goodness.

None I can think of - I’m apparently not that interesting in person. Well, maybe Hugh Grant’s character in Notting Hill (but only my wife thinks I’m anywhere near as good-looking).

As I’ve gotten older I find I fear less. Public speaking is the worst. I suppose having a stranger read my writing, critically, scares me but gives me great satisfaction, particularly if they don’t trash it right off.

There won’t be a tombstone. I’m very Klingon in my belief that what makes us individuals leaves the body an empty shell when we go. I suppose I’d like to be remembered as somebody who brought some happiness and pleasure into their lives.

My above-average intelligence, obviously. Actually, it would be a willingness to accept people for what they are and not be hell-bent to change them. That doesn’t mean I suffer fools gladly or graciously, mind you.

The Writer. The Lover. The Man.

17-If you could figuratively ““consume”” or absorb three famous people to gain or understand their particular knowledge, attitudes, and insights, who would they be and why?

Any author on the top-ten sci-fi writer’s list - for obvious reasons!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #16
bsg1fan1975
Major

your very welcome 14th.

Old July 21st, 2003, 01:31 AM   #17
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

*Bump!*

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:07 AM   #18
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by The 14th Colony

Emerita,

Really? Um...sis?
I always wanted a brother..... :p
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM   #19
Laura Elizabeth
Bad Email Address

Female
Connecticut, United States
Spanish (not fluent)

Graduated 1987 - Accounting; Master's in economics in 1990 (boring....) Continually thinking about pursuing a phd in the Classics, but haven't done anything about it yet.

Programmer and accountant for a small, dying, dotcom. Goals? What's that?

Divorced. Or widowed... Ex died in 2001, so it's either.
No relationship at the moment. The last one was bad enough. We did share an interest in sci-fi.

No kids. Two cats.

When the movie came out, 25 years ago.

BSG, Star Trek and Heinlen

Good story telling from a different perspective. When done well, sci-fi can make you see the real world in a different way.

No on collecting sci-fi memorabilia, writing or drawing. It's entertainment for me. Hobbies include crocheting, cooking, spoiling my nieces and nephews, reading, computer game playing, politics.

I post more now than I have in the past. I mostly lurk. I just enjoy reading people's thoughts, ideas, etc.

My Grandfather.

Daffy Duck?

That question made my brain hurt. No answer.

I've never thought about it. It would be nice to be remembered as a decent human being with a sense of humor.

No tombstone; either out with the trash in a Hefty bag or cremated.

Empathy.

More boring than Dust Bunnies?

Michael Servetus, (1511 - 1553), author (amoungst other works) of "Christianismi Restitutio", in which he questioned religious doctrine; physician; linguist. Burned at the stake as a heretic in Calvin's Geneva. Fascinating person and I would like a better understanding of his passion, of what made him "tick".

Ferdinand Magellan, explorer. Again, the passion that sends someone out into the unknown to explore, to find, to know.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a third, so here's a short list:

Mother Theresa
Shakespeare
Lincoln
Marlowe
Martin Luther King
Jefferson
Voltaire
Charles II
Samuel Pepys
Elizabeth I
Harry Truman
Petrarch

Last edited by Laura Elizabeth; July 21st, 2003 at 09:54 AM..
Laura Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 07:47 PM   #20
Senmut
Strike Leader

1. I have the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. i.e. I'm 42. (Emerita, am I too young for you???) I live in the Soviet of Washington (the state, not D.C.) I have some facility with Latin, but that's it. NO SPANISH!!!!!!!!

2. In college I wanted to be an Anthropology major. It didn't happen. Don't ask.

3. Career? What's a career?

4. Single. never married. Nobody right now. So I get to watch BSG whenever I want!!!!!

5. No children. As far as I know.

6. September of 1978.

7. Trek (the real stuff), Space:1999, UFO, Forever Knight, some X-Files.

8. I love the idea of space travel and space flight. I love the idea of HUGE ships, and the technology to build them. In BSG, i liked the interpersonal relationships, forged by neccessity.

9. I write, and would like to get pub'd. (HINT. HINT.) I like to fiddle with old tube radios, and garden.

10. About 4 years. Why not? I like to write FanFic, to both entetrtain others, I hope, and to get noticed.

11. Lincoln. Washington. King Arthur and his Knights. (We are related!)

12. None that I know of.

13. Children.

14. The mortician. "Men must endure their going hence."

15. My DNA

16. A forgery.

17. Cicero- His passion for justice and what's right.

Socrates- His wisdom.

Columbus- To understand and experience the discovery of new worlds.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:33 PM   #21
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Emerita:
Quote:
I always wanted a brother.....
LOL.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:05 AM   #22
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Well, I do..lol..I always wondered what it would be like...Out of thirteen cousins there was only one boy...My family is dominated by women....Strong courageous women...and I am proud of that but an older brother would have been nice...
Old July 27th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #23
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

Quote:
but an older brother would have been nice...
Really? Funny that. I'd always wanted a younger sister ever since I was a teen. Mostly because I was close to my good friend's little sister and always watched out for her. I would have been a good big bro to some lucky sister, but alas my folks could only have one child. So, still want an older brother? Sorry, I was born in '67 so we're a mis-match! LOL. :p

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old July 27th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #24
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Well you both can have mine! :confused:
Old July 28th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #25
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Just remember one thing....they are the only ones that will be there for you always...no questions asked. That goes for parents also. My kids know that I and themselves are the only ones that they can truely trust without exception, even though we do disagree at times. Like I don't like my daughter's boyfriend. He is no good. She knows I don't like him , but I would be the one she will turn to if things go bad with the relationship and she knows that I will never say I told you so. I am a safe harbor. That is what family is all about. We would give our lives for each other.

OK....Mommy sermon over......
Old July 30th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Big Grin annoying questions

I hope you don't think I'm nuts after I answer this.
HUMOROUS yes NUTS NO

1) I'm 43 in New Mexico
2) No I'm not in school at the present
3) I'm a homemaker - stay at home mom (special need kids)
4) Married, Hubby LOATHES bsg .........Too bad for him I watch it anway
5) 2 girls they watch bsg, star trek, babylon five, efc first FOUR seasons
will not be wating the remaike
6) I've been a fan since bsg was on and been OBSESSED with BSG
SINCE it was first AIRED
7) bsg, startrek, efc, stargate ........etc........
8) I liked BSG because it promoted family values, people kept their
genders straight, the plots were good and the people kept their
clothes ON
9) hiking, biking, swimming, walking, crafts, writing fanfic-poetry .......
currently working on my first book ......suspense romance type
10) I've only been posting on scifi boards since 2000 about
11) starbuck, adama, athena, boomer, .......Neil armstrong .........and
lt Uhura
12) wonderwoman & MAUDE (scarey huh )
13) I love and fear HIKING ( I keep having to get away from
the mountain lions and black bears )
14) I'll be remembered for being a good wife and MOTHER
as long as I had my midol at hand ..............
15) my stubburness (more people need backbones!)
16) Einstien = genious and resourcefullness, Mother Theresa = patience,
and Richard SImmons = energy
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 10:58 AM   #27
amberstar
Strike Leader

#1: A Selection of Annoying Questions!

1- 30 years old female, currently living in West Virginia in the good old USA. Speak some Spanish but not fluent.

2-Went to college a long time ago- Education

3-Education, and I'm loving my job!

4-Divorsed, but he would think that I am crazy for loving BSG so much.

5-I have one Son who is 8. He loves the Original BSG, and he only has seen several episodes and begs to watch them! Which is ok by me.

6- Been a fan since day one! I'd rather watch BSG instead of the muppets! Watched the show when I was little with my mother.

7-Love all of Hatch's BSG books, And some of Steven King. Enjoy Star Wars , Indy movies. Liked the tv show V, Star trek Humor between Bones & Spock. Love all the superheros (Batman, Superman, Flash ect..) My favorite is still BSG!

8-I think it is a break from reality for me. BSG has all the elements that make SCIFI fun. Facing a foe at overwhelming odds, family oriented. You said it better than I could have "joy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences…?"

9-Collect Scifi memorabilia, and Comics.

10-Not very long, Just got a PC. I frequent these boards to see what is happening in the world, to share my views and learn of others.

11-Oh gosh! I loved Wonderwoman! I wanted to be just like Linda Carter. And to be part of a team like in BSG. I used to make my younger brother pretend to be Apollo and I was Sheba fighting cylons in make shift carbord Vipors!( silly hua?)

12-Racheal from friends in personality. And I Look a little like Meg Ryan, only with brown hair.

13- Rollercoasters! Biger the better. Still kina scarry but fun!!!!!!!

14-I want to be rembered as a person who gave all of themself and helped others. I want inscribed on my tombstone the verse of the 27th psalm.

15- My abitlity to face difficult times smiling. Not letting it get the best of me.

16- A book? Never thought about that.

17- #1. My high school algebra teacher Norris Lucas, Just had to know the guy to understand. Extremely intellegent man, famous to me.
#2.Thomas Jefferson, great inventor, and founder of this country. ( if anyone ever gets the chance tour his home in Virginia very impressive man!)
#3. Any more people and my mind would explode from so much knowledge!

Amberstar

amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 02:06 PM   #28
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Survey #1: A Selection of Annoying Questions!

I'm 33, female and live in Puerto Rico. I speak spanish.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Arts:Humanities

Right now I'm working as data entry.

I'm single.

No children

I have been a fan since the first day I see BG. I love it.

I love scifi. My favorites probably will be Star Trek, Stargate(Movie&Series), Space Above and Beyond, Andromeda, Mutant X, Star Wars.

Favorite books Dune, Elric Saga, Orson Scott Card Homecoming Series.

I have to say all of the things mention and more. I think is the adventure in unknown places.

Right now I only collect dvds. My hobbies mostly watching my favorite series, movies. The internet and the forums, computer games and traveling.

Not too long, I enjoying sharing with other people that like the same things I enjoy.

My mom, I really want to be more like her.

No one really.

Dunno, I don't have the slightlest idea.

Mostly to be remember with love and as a good person. I'm getting atracted by the idea of been cremated.

I haven't the slightlest idea.

The many aspects of Krystal. Although that definitely would be so boring. Can't they make better an scifi movie or book.

Shakespare - Just love his writing, and as aspiring writer love to learn from it.
Dalai Lama - His vision of life and insights.
Ghandi - His vision of life and insights.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #29
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

*Bump*
Do it if you ain't done it yet. I will be adding the part 2 of the 14th Colony survey series soon.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page:
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #30
The 14th Colony
Strike Leader

There seem to be many new members in the last couple of weeks, or maybe old members are returning. In any event, I want to bring this survey to the top for new people to see and answer. So, new people, or older members reading this for the first time, have a go at this and enjoy it. If you want to, that is, I mean, no pressure or anything.

My Creativity:
My Writing Page: