Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 4th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #241
Jubal
Warrior

Default Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic

Ahh you saw this too. I wrote about this here...
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...285#post316285

What did you think of the comic?
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #242
Senmut
Strike Leader

There are those who believe that comic book here, began out there, far across the CominCon...
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #243
peter noble
Strike Leader

Battlestar Galactica Classic Vol. 3 #1, published by Dynamite Entertainment

‘In The Beginning’

Written by Cullen Bunn; art by Alex Sanchez; colour by Daniela Miwa; letters by Sal Cipriano.

Dynamite brings us another run of their comic series set in the original Battlestar Galactica (1978-79) TV series universe.

I have no idea what the sales figures are like on the previous series, but it’s obvious, that like me, someone at Dynamite loves ‘classic’ BG as much as I do, and for that I’m grateful.

Ignoring the continuity of the previous volume, in which Captain Apollo bought the farm, writer Bunn opts for using nearly all the cast members from the show, with the exception, so far, of Athena and Jolly. Dr Salik and Lucifer turn up too and it’s nice to see Sheba getting some play having been all but forgotten in previous volumes of the comic.

The story itself is intriguing as the Galactica and her rag-tag fleet get pulled into a black hole and emerge on the other side in the vicinity of a planet with a ring of wrecked spaceships. There are nods to the show’s television episodes – ‘Fire In Space’ and ‘War of The Gods’ and even the old run of Marvel’s take on the property from late ‘70s, early ‘80s, specifically ‘The Memory Machine’ arc.

The art by Alex Sanchez takes some getting used to, his figures are okay but the characters’ faces tend to look like they’ve had a stroke or have some sort of chromosome disorder, also the Galactica herself is often ‘off model’. In this day and age, it shouldn’t be too hard to Google some reference material. The art is energetic, fitting the subject matter and it was nice to see the black hole resembling the one seen in the film Interstellar.

Daniela Miwa’s colours bring out the mood well, being more subdued onboard the Galactica, or the Cylon baseship, but becoming more vibrant when on the mystery planet.

The lettering makes the distinction between human and Cylon speech very well.

Besides the art niggles, some word balloon arrows are transposed in one panel and the word Galactica swear word ‘frack’ manages to become the four-letter word of the most recent iteration of BG. The editorial footnotes were most welcome.

I’ll give the first issue a 3.5 out of 5.

The story set up is the comic’s strongest selling point but I’ll have to see if the art grows on me.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #244
JLHurley
Warrior

You offer a pretty fair review of this issue, Peter.
Old August 9th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #245
ernie90125
Also Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
It would appear Dynamite is re-issuing the vintage comics as high end (expensive!) editions !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walter-Simon...dp/1524100129/
This was available for pre-order right the way up until it's release date, at which point the listing disappeared from Amazon search results and the direct link to the listing shows the note "Currently unavailable We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #246
Senmut
Strike Leader

Frack! You have to just love those legal tidbits.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #247
peter noble
Strike Leader

Quote:
This was available for pre-order right the way up until it's release date, at which point the listing disappeared from Amazon search results and the direct link to the listing shows the note "Currently unavailable We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Artist Walt Simonson has said that Dynamite have postponed it to find more artwork to expand the volume and it should resurface next year.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:16 AM   #248
JLHurley
Warrior

Although I'm not a fan of the art (at least for this series), I really enjoyed issue #3 of the current series. It seems like I often have a problem hearing the voices in BG comics, but that wasn't the case here. The introduction of a "hybrid" or "offshoot" race of Cylons is interesting, too. Issue #1 gave me the impression we were going into all too familiar territory plot-wise, but it looks like I was wrong...
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #249
ernie90125
Also Present

First Trade Paperback of this ongoing series to be released in May 2017

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-...dp/1524103144/
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #250
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHurley View Post
Although I'm not a fan of the art (at least for this series), I really enjoyed issue #3 of the current series. It seems like I often have a problem hearing the voices in BG comics, but that wasn't the case here. The introduction of a "hybrid" or "offshoot" race of Cylons is interesting, too. Issue #1 gave me the impression we were going into all too familiar territory plot-wise, but it looks like I was wrong...
Loving how the humans and Cylons are having to work together. A nice change of pace and a new direction in the Classic BSG stories.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:13 PM   #251
ernie90125
Also Present

Quote:
First Trade Paperback of this ongoing series to be released in May 2017

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-...dp/1524103144/
Now with cover artwork pictured on the Amazon listing:

Old May 10th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #252
ernie90125
Also Present

Preview Dynamite's new Battlestar Galactica: Folly of the Gods TPB

http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-10/batt...te-cullen-bunn
Old August 25th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #253
JLHurley
Warrior

Some recent BG comics related articles:

Battlestar Galactica Comics Humble Bundle To Raise Money For AbleGamers
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...humble-bundle/

WALT SIMONSON Revisits the Past (& the Cylons) in BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: ART EDITION
https://www.newsarama.com/36066-walt...t-edition.html