Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:41 PM   #61
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Well, you do know that Battlestar is a rip-off of Star Wars, right (at least, that's what Lucas thought)….
and he, himself said C3PO and R2D2 were based on Laurel and Hardy.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:09 PM   #62
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
honestly, i think anyone in this fandom has a right to be a little cynical, or even a lot cynical about this.
amen!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:09 PM   #63
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Well, you do know that Battlestar is a rip-off of Star Wars, right (at least, that's what Lucas thought)….
Wasn't Battlestar Galactica already written and in a desk drawer about a year before Star Wars even was released on the big screen?

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #64
Senmut
Strike Leader

At least an outline, or so I heard once. Until SW was a success, no one was interested.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #65
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I really hope Glen gets it done this time. Lord knows we've been through it with these hopeful projects, but it does put a smile on my face every time it comes up. I like that it just won't die!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #66
Senmut
Strike Leader

I'll believe it when I see the credits start to roll.
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #67
monolith21
Squadron Leader

You and me both. I've been a cheerleader for this even after many others became cynical but even I have my limits. If it happens I'll see it probably ten times in the theatre...but that is a strong IF at this point.

That said, I'll support it any way I can!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #68
137th Gebirg
Warrior

I, too, will believe it when I see the opening credits roll, but it definitely feels real this time. Universal apparently sent one of their photographers to get hi-res photos of the original filming model for possible promotional uses. Hoping beyond hope, but it actually looks like something may finally be happening now.
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #69
Senmut
Strike Leader

Or to just get the opoosition to quiet down?
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #70
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Much of the push IS likely related to the beginning of production for SW VII. My hope is that they can knock it out of the ballpark, with this one and set the stage for more. I'm hoping that the recent success of Star Trek, combined with Star Wars coming back, will pull in Galactica and get some good sci-fi back in the theaters again.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #71
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I'm feeling positive about this. There have been so many "announcements", but I believe that both Glen and Universal feel that this finally needs to get done. Glen probably doesn't have that many years left and Universal would hope that the time is right for them to have a franchise genre film to one-hour there with Trek and Star Wars. The news about the original filming model undergoing restoration and being photographed on Universal's dime means something is afoot. Whatever form it takes, I'll see it at least once, but I hope it's good. By now, the studio has 2 series from different eras and by now, they must have some Ida as to what will work and what won't. I imagine that there's been plenty of discussion on what kind of film will have the broadest appeal. Only time will tell. Until then, it's fun to think about.

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #72
PaulGTweed
Warrior

The writer chosen to write the screenplay doesn't inspire confidence. He wrote Transcendence. It bombed at the box office.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #73
Senmut
Strike Leader

If GL, Hatch, Bellisario, and maybe one or two other of the original bunch were on board to write, I'd feel more confident.
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #74
Rhaven Blaack
Warrior

I am still dubiously curious to see how it will turn out (good or bad).
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #75
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Transcendence was about a scientist (Jonny Depp) who is killed and his wife transfers his consciousness/soul is into a machine.
Old May 21st, 2014, 05:24 PM   #76
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

PaulGTweed, did you see it? was it a decent story? I never believe critics.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:09 AM   #77
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

The worry I have about this BSG movie is that like many producers who are given a butt load of cash. They will loose sight of the goal, J.J's Star Trek is a good example. Dont get me wrong, I think both are great, fun science fiction movie's. I'm just not so eager to call what I'm seeing Star trek. So now when I hear the term 'reboot' associated with something else I like, I start to worry.

I'm was a fan of the original BSG well before the mini series in 2004, but I liked that also. Ok I had a problem with the ending, but compared to most of the rubbish on TV. The modern BSG was damn good science fiction. Which is hard to come by, when the likes of Firefly get cancelled. How that happens, I will never know!

It would be great if they throw in stuff specially for the fans, but the cynic in me has to be brutally honest. The 70's format of BSG will simply not entertain a young audience of today and bums on seats is what sells a movie.
The only people making movies that services the fans ARE fan films and few of those get off the drawing board.

But who knows right? like the rest of you, I'll be watching the progress of this production. I just wont allow myself to build up my hopes, after the mess that was Star Trek 2009. It would crush me to buy a ticket and see yet ANOTHER show I love, ruined on the big screen.
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:07 AM   #78
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptornet View Post
The worry I have about this BSG movie is that like many producers who are given a butt load of cash. They will loose sight of the goal, J.J's Star Trek is a good example. Dont get me wrong, I think both are great, fun science fiction movie's. I'm just not so eager to call what I'm seeing Star trek. So now when I hear the term 'reboot' associated with something else I like, I start to worry.

I'm was a fan of the original BSG well before the mini series in 2004, but I liked that also. Ok I had a problem with the ending, but compared to most of the rubbish on TV. The modern BSG was damn good science fiction. Which is hard to come by, when the likes of Firefly get cancelled. How that happens, I will never know!

It would be great if they throw in stuff specially for the fans, but the cynic in me has to be brutally honest. The 70's format of BSG will simply not entertain a young audience of today and bums on seats is what sells a movie.
The only people making movies that services the fans ARE fan films and few of those get off the drawing board.

But who knows right? like the rest of you, I'll be watching the progress of this production. I just wont allow myself to build up my hopes, after the mess that was Star Trek 2009. It would crush me to buy a ticket and see yet ANOTHER show I love, ruined on the big screen.
Ron Moore turned Battlestar Galactica into secular humanist TOS Star Trek. I was able to predict how the stories would end after the first few minutes. Ron Moore's BSG only lasted as long as it did because it was only on the SYFY Channel. On Network, it would have lasted maybe one or two seasons. DVD, Blu-Ray, online streaming, Cable/Satellite TV yes, even Bittorrents can be a deciding factor in a potential film sequel being made if the first film doesn't do well at the box office. Buckaroo Banzai:Across the 8th Dimension in 1984 is an example where a decent film barely made anything at the box office made a ton after it was shown on Cable TV and VHS videotapes.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:35 AM   #79
gmd3d
Major

While I am not a member of Staff, I would point out that discussion of TNS is not permitted on Colonial fleets, only discussion of TOS is allowed. (art is excluded from this rule). lest the thread is closed

There is a facebook group supporting the new Galactica Movie project and some new images of the restored models are been shared. The current private owner of the Models has offered the models for use in the new Movie too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalacticaModels/

A quote from the page.
Quote:
There are those that believe that the original filming miniature models from the 78 series Battlestar Galactica still have life out there for one last big screen appearance. Glen Larson is heading up an attempt to bring Battlestar Galactica back to the big screen, and now is the time to bring back the Big "G". The owner (a good personal friend) of many pieces of the Rag Tag Fleet, Vipers, Raiders, Baseship, and the Galactica, and a good friend of mine said he would like to do what no other production has done before, and that is go back and use the original models. Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, and others have never gone back in time and used the original models. Lets make Universal, and Glen Larson this offer known to them that these are models are available to go where no other models have gone before. "LIKING" this page gives a head count in numbers that agrees you would like to see the original models fly across the big screen again. These numbers do count, and the Studios like numbers so make you "Like" count.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:19 PM   #80
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGTweed View Post
Ron Moore turned Battlestar Galactica into secular humanist TOS Star Trek.
AMEN!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:22 AM   #81
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

As a moderator...it would be nice if we could keep this discussion on topic about the BG movie news and not let it degrade into yet another tirade about "old vs new". That discussion's been going since 2003 and its never going to change, so let's move on.

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM   #82
137th Gebirg
Warrior

^^^ Agreed.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:36 PM   #83
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
I really hope Glen gets it done this time. Lord knows we've been through it with these hopeful projects, but it does put a smile on my face every time it comes up. I like that it just won't die!
Here! Here!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #84
Raptornet
Shuttle Pilot

It would be truly awesome if they used the original model, just have to wait and see. With Larson involved I'm hoping the chances the film will have a TOS flavour are good

Much as I enjoy what can be achieved with CGI, I still prefer physical models. The skill that went in to making the Galactica is just phenomenal, the picture posted below speaks volumes.
Raptornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #85
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
As a moderator...it would be nice if we could keep this discussion on topic about the BG movie news and not let it degrade into yet another tirade about "old vs new". That discussion's been going since 2003 and its never going to change, so let's move on.
Old 1978 Battlestar TV series and feature film vs New 2014-2017? Battlestar Movie will always be debated. The old vs new war continues.
Old May 25th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #86
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGTweed View Post
Old 1978 Battlestar TV series and feature film vs New 2014-2017? Battlestar Movie will always be debated. The old vs new war continues.
Things I have learnt since 1982

Floggin' dead 'orses is pointless.

That war is over. There are plenty of left over landmines and sweaty tricky UXBs, between the entrenched positions, but the time for active combat has gone. Time to come out of the jungle.

The opposing POVs are on the public record.

Bitter rants and keystrokes struck in anger won't change what happened, but digging it over will feed the basest instincts of the beast within Fundamentalist Fandom.

If there's no new evidence, wasting time with another circuit of the same old yakkity yakk won't cause the judge to review the sentence..

The line between robust discussion and argument is a fine one. Not all your friends and acquaintances will stay with you when you cross it. People who are alone and wanting to fight with other people generally aren't held in high regard...

Old May 25th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #87
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Things I have learnt since 1982

Floggin' dead 'orses is pointless.

That war is over. There are plenty of left over landmines and sweaty tricky UXBs, between the entrenched positions, but the time for active combat has gone. Time to come out of the jungle.

The opposing POVs are on the public record.

Bitter rants and keystrokes struck in anger won't change what happened, but digging it over will feed the basest instincts of the beast within Fundamentalist Fandom.

If there's no new evidence, wasting time with another circuit of the same old yakkity yakk won't cause the judge to review the sentence..

The line between robust discussion and argument is a fine one. Not all your friends and acquaintances will stay with you when you cross it. People who are alone and wanting to fight with other people generally aren't held in high regard...

Everything comes back around and most of the human conflicts today are continuations of the previous wars that have occurred since time began. As Commander Adama said in War of the Gods "We have always been caught in the conflict between Good and Evil. It will be no different even if we find Earth." As I said THE WAR CONTINUES!
Old May 25th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #88
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Not between the original and TNS. Anyone posting to start a fight, or try to continue the "war", will be banned. We are allowing moderate discussion of TNS, *BUT*, and I emphasize this, NOT TO START ARGUMENTS OR TO COMPARE THUS CREATING ARGUMENTS.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #89
MarkTheSaint
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Questions:
Would you support/watch the movie if:

1. It is a reboot with the original characters played by different actors (Adama, Apollo, Starbuck, Athena, Baltar, etc.) in the vein of the new Star Trek films

2. It is a reimagination that blends (not sure how that would work) both the original series and the new series

3. It is a new story featuring elements of the original series, such as Jewels referred to in her post on the Pegasus

4. It is a continuation of the original series, set 30 years later, with cameo-to-minor roles for Richard Hatch (Apollo), Dirk Benedict (Starbuck), Herb Jefferson (Boomer), Terry Carter (Tigh), with the main thrust being the younger actors
I would go for all of the above but as Star Wars and Rocky has shown that
comebacks are very popular with the moviegoers so I would recommend
having the colonials regain their home worlds and then wipe out the Cylons
so they can never attack again and then go explore the galaxy and deal
with new enemies as they come up like in Star Trek.

MarkTheSaint
MarkTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #90
137th Gebirg
Warrior

^^^ It might indeed be a more uplifting path for BSG to take.

As light-hearted as TOS BSG was compared to NuBSG, having the entirety of the human race experience a "holocaust" of any kind is rather heavy material, in either version. I think many people may be getting fatigued with "darkness" and "grittiness" in their shows. I know I am to an extent.

Perhaps they should take it in a completely different direction after briefly retelling the original story and not dwelling on it as much, or rather, more deeply exploring the profound implications of the "grand plan" that the Beings of Light have set humanity on, and the efforts of Count Iblis to undermine it while executing a "grand plan" of his own for the Cylons. TOS never got the opportunity to explore the rich tapestry that was quietly being woven into the fabric of the plot for various reasons. I think it is now time to do just that!