Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old September 13th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Excalibur
On Vacation...

Unhappy Kids in cages!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169207,00.html

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it's something I had to share.

All to often you see these stories on the news, kids kept in closets, kids nearly starved to death, kids left in running cars while there parents run in to get a coffee, and you can't fathom in the least how anyone could do such a thing.

I was watching the news last night, and they were talking about a family who were keeping some of their adopted kids in cages. Of course I was horrified, but then they metioned where it was.

I'm sitting there watching this, and it hits me. I KNOW THAT HOUSE!

This couple, and their 11 disabled children, ranging in ages from 1 to 14, had come to our church a couple of times.

Those of us in our church, thought the same thing as everyone else who knew them, that they were doing a good thing, by taking in these kids who have health and mental issues.

They would come to fellowship dinners, and the kids all seemed happy and playful. I would play hide-and-go-seek with the younger ones, and nothing seemed wrong.

Neighbors talk about the kids playing out side, and they appeared to be well fed, but the dirty secret is, they were making 8 of the children, all boys I believe, sleep in cages that were averaging about 30 inches high, 40 inches wide and 40 inches deep. They say for the kids own protection.

I'm sorry. Kids should never be treated like this. There is no excuse!
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certian unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

- The Unanimous Decleration of the United States of America, July 4, 1776

To all the brave men and women defending freedom, Thank you!
And, God Bless America!
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

Too bad we don't still have public pillories, whipping, or even hangings anymore.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Breea
Bad Email Address

I've got a very large castrator and believe me..I KNOW HOW TO USE IT...let me alone with them for 10 minutes and they'll find them 'UNDER" the jail not in it.
I can't have kids and when i see things like this is really makes me sick, too.
Breea
Breea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

I'll hold 'em down for ya, Breea!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Callipygian
Warrior

I read an article about this in the newspaper this morning. This article said the cages were about 3-1/2 feet long. The article also said that the parents claim that a psychologist or counselor suggested the cages because these children had mental disabilities that sometimes caused them to hurt eachother at night when they weren't under immediate supervision. They allege that it was done to protect the children from eachother.

We'll have to wait and see what additional information is forthcoming. I don't think we should gather the lynch mob just yet. This may just be a case of idiotic but well-meaning parents. The kids appear otherwise healthy, happy and well-cared for.

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT under any circumstances condone putting children in cages, although my son is sometimes a bit of an animal. I just think we should get all the facts before we tar and feather. If it turns out these children were harmed in any way, I'll heat the tar and provide the feathers!

Calli
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #6
Breea
Bad Email Address

I promise..i won't go after them til we know the truth...but if they were having that kind of problems..then perhaps 11 children were more than should have been left in their care..
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #7
Callipygian
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breea
I promise..i won't go after them til we know the truth...but if they were having that kind of problems..then perhaps 11 children were more than should have been left in their care..
I agree wholeheartedly! I don't think anyone should take on 11 foster children, and it's a poor reflection upon social services that they would allow it. I know the system is overburdened, and there are more children in need than foster parent volunteers, but 11 is just ridiculous, and it sets the stage for problems. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Calli
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Excalibur
On Vacation...

Battlestar Galactica 2004

The local news was just talking about this story, and it seems that they weren't exactly cages that the kids slept in.

They were screened and boxed in beds, that weren't locked, and don't have any latches or anything, just alarms on the doors, to let the parents know, if in the middle of the night, one of there special needs kids woke up.

Sounds like this family needs a visit from "Extreme Make Over: Home Edition." Maybe then they could have a better way of keeping track of their children.

Still no charges against the parents.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certian unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

And, God Bless America!
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Excalibur
On Vacation...

Update!

Was talking tonight with someone who has been in contact with the Gravelle's,
and has gotten a better understanding of the situation then the media has.

This person has been to the home quite often, and was dispelling a lot of the rumors for us.

Yes, the beds have been "caged" in, but their is a reason.

The kids are all special need, all as a result of being born to parents who were on drugs, or alcoholics, some of them being autistic, and even one of them having aids.

I won't go into all the things these kids have done, being destructive to themselves and their brothers and sisters, but it's safe to say the parents have taken on issues they weren't warned about before they adopted some of these kids, but they love them nonetheless, and have done the best they can.

The beds were being destroyed by the kids, so they built in bunk beds. Not cages, beds. They have doors with alarms so that in the middle of the night, when they get up, the parents can be warned. This was a suggestion to them by their psychiatrist, because the parents were having to sleep at the steps to keep an eye on any night activity.

A social worker, or case worker, or whatever you want to call it, would visit the house once, sometimes two times a week. This person who knew them, who knew the family, was gone on vacation over seas when all this happened, so that there was nobody to set things right.

The kids aren't locked up. They are happy. They are well fed, well clothed, and despite reports, they do have bedding. On Friday, when the kids were taken away, the reason there wasn't bedding on the beds... get this, was because it was being washed!

There is a reason that is suspected here, and I hazard to say this.
It's beginning to look like the neighbors aren't all that happy with having black kids in the neighborhood. If that's the issue, they need to get over it!

And, God Bless America!
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #10
Breea
Bad Email Address

Thanks for the update....it makes me feel better to know that...and like you said if it's because the kids are black..then the neighbors need to get a reality check...but i'm still wondering if one family,alone, can take care of 11 special needs children without any live in help....it's got to hard enough with just one or two but with that many..it has to be rough on all concerned.
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #11
Excalibur
On Vacation...

Your right.

And, God Bless America!
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #12
Callipygian
Warrior

I have neighbors who have several foster children. I believe they have 5, but the number fluctuates, and I have never been able to determine exactly how many live in the house. Anyway, they had two special needs children, both caucasion...one was a girl around 9 years old with obvious physical disabilities (can't speak well and walks in a way that looks like something from the Monty Python "Ministry of Sillywalks" skit), and another little boy of about 5 or 6 with some type of mental disability (I think he's mildly retarded). Many of the other neighbors are not happy about the situation, and they are always on the lookout for these kids. They do not allow their children to play with them. I believe the reason is fear...fear of anyone different, and fear of anyone with a disability that they don't understand. It's a shame, because the last thing these kids need is to be ostracized. What I find ironic is that the worst offenders in the neighborhood are supposedly "good Christians" who teach Sunday school at the neighborhood church.

Excalibur - I suspect that race isn't really the issue with the kids you mentioned. I bet that those same neighbors would be upset regardless of the color of the skin of those foster children.

Calli
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #13
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Its probably way late to weigh in on this one, and honestly Im both heart broken, and encouraged. Talk about mixed emotions. Im so happy that the children were unharmed and safe, but at the same time I feel so heart broken that so many special needs children are unwanted by other homes and that they had to be placed in one house because they were willing to take them when no others were. Heart breaking to be sure.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:56 AM   #14
bsg1fan1975
Major

My two cents.

No child whether they are disabled or normal should ever be kept in a cage. Its inhuman.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote