Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Exclamation Tom DeSanto's Galactica Pre-production work!

What is stopping it from being seen now!

Seriously, now that X2 has hit it big can or should i say, would the fanbase of BG fans who know enough of the constant struggle to revive the series done right i.e. before April 2002 remake announcements.

Should send letter and e-mails to Tom DeSanto, to release his plans, pre-production ideas and the much discussed but never read outside his circle, The much talked about "DeSanto Continuation Script"

Why not people?

Why must we as fans be told, you can't do this or that. seriously couldn't we just break the rules and unwritten rules to just gain one small victory? Asking the man who would have given us a Galactica more worth while that a sudden change and studio decision to remake everything due to hollywood's mood swings of the fads and current trends we get to see today.

E-mailing studios and sending letters is all fine. I'll be honest in saying it's been awhile for me, i send enough until i saw it was hopeless. But what if we could bend the rules and ask the one individual who was going to the series some justice to see if he could ignore all the "Red Tape" (if there is any) any see to it somehow the fans got to see what he was planning along with Bryan Singer!

I've asked myself WHY. Why is this the only franchise where information never comes easy Why? Cloak and dagger behavior from a studio that doesn't really show the old original series any class or respect.

For a series naysayers say isn't viable there sure was a hell of alot of road blocks put in by people to stop a revival coming our way sooner.

I think i've got one last fight in me to send a message to someone of great importance and i'm sick of talking or sending letters to the horses arse (Universal Studios) i want the horses head (The brains behind any thoughtful BG revival)

Who thinks this is fair, in light of Bryan Singer and Tom DeSanto's recent X2 blockbuster???

If you support this would you send a message to them if we could and ask for the very least in getting a peak at their planned version of the Battlestar Galactica series they envisioned back in the 22nd Feb of 2001?

If you think i'm finally struck the nail on the head say "I"

Seriously, if Universal releasing pictures of a ongoing production, how do you realistically wish to change their minds?

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

Default P.S.

My main point is

We want everything done from designs to Warrior Jackets the Desanto poduction crew planned to be used in his version, sketches, artwork ,The gruff Roman centurion looking Cylons, The Reptillian Imperious Leader etc. Viper designs Richard Hatch saw and said DeSanto and i are alike etc, everything including the DeSanto script A MUST. Either put all of this into a magazine, computer file or just leak it to us fans somehow?

This is more worth it, than asking an arrogant company for a last mintue change in their misguided plans, is something we as fans won't get. Isn't this course of action more realistic than fighting a losing battle with a company starting production on a series and taking a direction we all don't want! better than nothing

KJ
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

A great idea KJ some one around here must have a point of contact. The crappier the new production looks with every detail of information...Drafting DeSanto should be part of our plans.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Thank you Sept17th at last support!!!....

Life for me might get more complicated but, at least i want to send DeSanto a serious e-mail telling him things going on for the past couple of years in the fanbase and how his production work should be seen by fans eyes.

I say again?

Isn't it weird this franchise can't get any news out there NONE!!!.... I know Michael Faries ain't here but, everytime Mike had news people jumped on him. Believers and naysayers? Myself and others included. everytime we got a solid lead we're told. Can't be revealed or not now people hang on, Yeah we were hanging on alright, until a trained Circus Ape escaped and wrote a crappy script and then got a job at BurgerKing? (True story coming soon on "E!'s entertainment's True Hollywood" story folks)

Time to get serious and kick the door down, either get a message to DeSanto or Singer. Or it's high time i put more effort into my own life instead or looking forward to disappointments online and in magazines. I'd liked the old series and the new one won't have me like the classic did, so.

It this the last ditched attempt at a small victory. don't know about you, but my electric bill is something the PTB should be paying for considering i've (like you too) have clocked serious campagning time online sending e-mails and letters through the post.

Sept17th if no one else does back us then i guess you could just send Tom DeSanto a message when you get his details. if nothing else i want to be able to say to myself, i did everything humanly possible to help BG revival and NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT WAY FROM ME!

KJ

Later Sept17th

Old May 8th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #5
sdoziernc1
Bad Email Address

Default Tom DeSanto...

Does anybody know for sure whether or not DeSanto would even consider revisiting the "Galactica" property, especially since he was forced to scrap his "Galactica" sets when Hammer underhandedly pulled the plug on his production when he was days away from shooting? Remember, Bryan Singer said he still wanted to be a part of the "Galactica" revival once he completed his duties with "X2", but chances are both men have moved on to other projects. I'm still hoping that they might be interested in doing a theatrical feature based on the original show - that would beat anything that Moore is currently putting out. After the mini airs (if it airs), it'll be the end for Moore and Eccky's "vision" - it won't go to series, especially under the SlyLie Nutwork's current management.
sdoziernc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

He's kept possibly more than an eye on the project. Possibly more recently than January. I'm thinking the only thing that kept M/E in charge was a couple of actors that wanted the remake script, Olmos was one. Mary may or may not have pulled the this script or I walk thingy also....

And just from descriptions I've heard of Tom when he was researching BSG, if he had a chance AT ALL to do his show, I would stake real money it would be a very quick phone call to have him back. IMO.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #7
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Having heard all I have (and still looking forward to seeing X2), I would support an effort to bring the DeSanto/Singer team back to BSG.

If my vote can make a difference, I'm there. Tell me where to send a letter.

I'll keep my eye on this thread, KJ, Sept17. Keep us posted.

I think you're right, KJ (although I hope you're wrong), I can't see Sci-Fi (or whomever's committed the money) not finishing this production; it would be rare, in a soft economy, to spend money you know won't be recovered (which is the part of this whole thing that makes the least sense to me - I know it's going to fail, they should know, but it goes on anyway?). Maybe Universal's new owners will pull the plug. Or, who knows if it's going to air at all? Part of me almost hopes it does, and tanks spectacularly.

All this circular thinking has made me dizzy.

Long Live the REAL Galactica!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #8
originalsinner

Would TPTB @ Universal let Singer and/or Desanto have the Movie rights?, Win or Lose, the ball is in Moore hands.{OH NO} I guess we wait and look forward to the Reunion.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

Thanks for the kind words people especially you Dawg. but i'm just an average joe really. All i do is poke around the internet like everybody else.

I'm just being a realistic about all this now. we're not getting a last second change of heart on the PTB hands, so like you all say money invested isn't gonna be blown by a studio once they have commited fully.

I still say this is our most realistic chance yet. instead of flooding The PTB offices with letters they burn on a heap when their offices are cold. bombard DeSanto's letter box instead or e-mail him more or less.

KJ

My last ditched effort. really and truthfully

Old May 8th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #10
KJ
Strike Leader

Question?

How many of you saved all that artwork of Singer's/DeSanto efforts that came out back in late 2001?

Would be a good case to send in e-mails with a good arguement along with his artwork designs and compare them to the gut vomiting stuff Hammer and co want us to have come late 2003?

KJ
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default LKJ

I don't know if DeSanto could release it or not for legal purposes. There are picture of some of the Cylon designs at http://battlestargalacticaclub.com. Desanto is a money maker and will be tapped for X-men 3 soon. Also one must remember the thing holding any production back is rights.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #12
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Thats what is bugging me?

Quote:
I don't know if DeSanto could release it or not for legal purposes.
Things get leaked all the time, from TV production and movies ALL THE TIME. Conceptual artistic designs to props. Legal or not, how come no pre-production work of singer and DeSanto got out besides the Vincent Gustini whatever his name is stuff?

We're getting a remake whether we like it or not, it time to just plain ask the Men (Singer/DeSanto) what did you do in Vancouver back in 2001.

I for one would like to see the Colonial Warrior Jackets they made, sets built up, designs etc. PTB shouldn't block this since they got their illfated version filming already didn't they.

Tim Burton released his "Superman lives" stuff in magazines and online. Kevin Smith released his script for "Superman Lives/Reborn" "Star Trek released the planned Star Trek the next phase conceptual work in books". Countless other franchises have released undeveloped work that never got filmed so i don't see how this is any different, rights or no rights. Others had copyrights in place stopping them, but they got out eventully didn't they?

Theis is my new beef with this hold nonsense, a series people say ain't viable is more shrouded in cloak and dagger secrets than any other TV or movie production to date. Until old TPTB get their way! and film an unwanted direction set in the BG universe.

KJ

Keep it coming folks, this idea to contact Desanto for this small victory maybe all we have left.

Old May 9th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #13
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Yeah, I'd like to do a section on Cylon.org that compares the three -- 1978 version, DeSanto's version, and this remake thing. I think putting the three side-by-side would be a very good thing.

Two-Brain
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #14
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default I recall asking the same question a while back

and Michael replied that DeSanto was still under contract and could not release any material for legal reasons. I think that was about a year ago, not sure about the current status of the contract or if it has expired.

I think we'd all like to see some of the goods that DeSanto had produced for his version.
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #15
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Letters are ready to go, just need addresses.

Jim:colwar:
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #16
KJ
Strike Leader

That won't be easy dilbertman? I've looked at the IMDB.com and can't get any usable links to any addresses or websites that Tom DeSanto might have.

Anybody got anything we could use to send Mr DeSanto a message?

the3rdhuman, that avatar would be more funny if you fit in, "Cash reward $00.00 just don't find him" (i prefer the BK one you had though)

KJ
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #17
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

This is a start, though not much of one.

Mr. Tom DeSanto
c/o William Morris Agency
151 El Camino Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #18
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Even Ron D. Moore 'respects' Richard Hatch's BSG Revival efforts..do you?

?

Last edited by dvo47p; May 12th, 2003 at 06:40 PM..
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #19
KJ
Strike Leader

Er..... dvo thats good and all, but how does that help us get in touch with Tom DeSanto. :confused:

We want to get in contact with Tom or at least know how to send the man e-mails on putting his BG unproduced work out there in some form or other.

KJ
Old May 13th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #20
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

I wish I'd caught this thread earlier.

Back in 2001 and 2002, Tom made assurances to myself and a couple of other BG webmasters that his BG production work would be shared (in part) for fans to see. Some things have blocked that from happening which aren't for public disclosure.

(Btw, legally, I know Guy Hendrix-Dyas can't share his BG work right now. It's damn good stuff, though.)

I know when it'll be shared with the masses, but I have to wait for Tom's say-so before saying it. Please bear with me on this. There's a reason... and a very valid one.

I think it's safe to say that later this year, it'll be shown. How much will be shown, I don't know. I think Tom owes it to fandom for the support they showed. Methinks we'll hear more about a special non-BG announcement in the meantime. The BG stuff can -- and will -- come later, imho.

Michael
...who's (unfortunately) back to the "I can't say right now" mantra, although it's better to say something than nothing. :colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #21
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Btw, when I talked with Tom last week, I had more assurances about this, so please understand: this subject has been discussed again VERY recently.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #22
KJ
Strike Leader

Michael, I gotta be honest with you.

It is this constant wait-and-see thing- that either alienated or lost a lot of BG fans along the way, which keeps us always guessing or making rash comments- that pisses alot of us off. For years we've heard that- with all due respect to hard workers such as yourself and those that are in the industry working to tell others how Galactica should be done.

So far the track record of wait and see quite frankly has NEVER WORKED IN OUR FAVOR!

I'm not venting at you mate, it's just recently it struck me that some things that should happen to franchises like this one never happened, FOR WHAT REASONS I don't know. It must baffle the hell out of you as well as tons of other dedicated fans why stuff on major project like the Singer/DeSanto stuff never got leaked, regardless of non-disclosure rules, regulations, etc.

I, like a million other fans of sci-fi and action related genre stuff, can dig pretty deep into the internet and find information. I've asked myself WHY

Why A show many naysayers claim is not viable is given the cloak and dagger treatment- why it never, unlike a lot of genre related developed, produced, aired, cancelled etc which had tons of behind the scenes stuff shown but while in development were said to be under wraps and couldn't be discussed. Always were seen and discussed.

(Hell Firefly was supposed to be a closely guarded secret until tons of pics and info leaked out.)

I think it's a forgone conclusion stuff not meant to be seen will be LEAKED whether studio heads like it or not.

That has always bugged me about this whole fiasco from day one- why an old TV show many claim won't work is so under wraps, lock, stock and key with padlocks to boot!

I'll stop before I rant, but I've raised points you can't deny- why hasn't this been leaked, either in the past or presently.

Seems Universal is is very happy to leak pictures of an unwanted remake of our beloved show, aren't they!

KJ
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #23
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Michael

I know the images where BS, but do you still have copies of the Trilon? Would like to add it to my BSG image on PC. Missed it the first time around.

Jim:colwar:
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #24
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I too would very much like to see some of what Tom had in mind, but not if it would preclude further work on it.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #25
KJ
Strike Leader

So do i Repcisg. Thats why i say this IS the best course of action now, being a remake is underway being filmed. If it 's not gonna be produced i can't see what harm it would do for fans to ask Tom DeSanto and Bryan Singer to show the world in any form they choose through, magazines, scripts, articles, downloadable computer files, artworks, storyboards, props and costumes, set photos etc. their planned unproduced version on their take on the franchise, or in their own words A.K.A. "THE SLEEPING GIANT".

Personally i'm sick and tired of the wait and see crapola. Since we fans all waited and oppertunity flew by and took advantage of the waiting as it always does.

Asking for this resquest is far more realistic than, petitioning against something already in development. Since Singer and DeSanto will move on with other projects in their lives, best to remind them Battlestar Galactica fans wanted their version despite the long no news era of 2001, and want to see their concepts for the planned 2001 Singer/DeSanto series before more legal loopholes develop to stop this.

I for one say, fans should back this and ask DeSanto for this rather than wait again, and let the oppertunity slip by twice?

KJ
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #26
Karman
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that later this year, it'll be shown.
Sounds like yet another reason to attend Galacticon if I'm reading this right.
Karman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #27
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default KJ

I tend to think that the BG work of DeSanto will be released when it is necessary. It might be used as a weapon or as leverage if there are still plans to derail the remake. If I'm to believe that there was (and still is) bad blood amongst the various camps, then it certainly makes sense to hold your aces. I also expect Richard's trailer to be used in this capacity when the time is right.

There might be another storm on the horizon, who knows?
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #28
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
I know when it'll be shared with the masses, but I have to wait for Tom's say-so before saying it. Please bear with me on this. There's a reason... and a very valid one.

I think it's safe to say that later this year, it'll be shown. How much will be shown, I don't know. I think Tom owes it to fandom for the support they showed. Methinks we'll hear more about a special non-BG announcement in the meantime. The BG stuff can -- and will -- come later, imho.

Michael
...who's (unfortunately) back to the "I can't say right now" mantra, although it's better to say something than nothing. :colwar:
But I like when you're in this mode, makes me hope for that silver lining in this very dark, brewing, storm cloud we've been stuck with too long.

And I already said I like Tom's storytelling and will checkout anything he has opportunity to share with us in the future.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #29
KJ
Strike Leader

True the3rdhuman, it could be taken that way (weapon wise) but we fans keep with the speculations because WE DON'T KNOW whats is going on, and are always the last to find out.

By the time we're told to rally behind certain efforts it's a huge effort to rally again let alone get along with other?. As fans we've all got direction we'd rather see this franchise take even if we're on the same page continuation wise.

I understand, but you all understand my thoughts. Afterall, seeing thoses pictures of the remake must have said to you all the PTB are finally getting their way after all right?

Since, singer and DeSanto will move on and do other projects, i though asking them rather than hound another petition cause was more realistic to chase up than go through the usual, moan and bitch whinning about not getting are way, as naysayers say we do all the time.

Karman, alot of us aren't sure we will have the cash this year to go? i want to but so far it's along way off for old KJ. glad i met Herb Jefferson already but who knows, the year is still early things may still change for me.

KJ

P.S.

Hehehe The3rdhuman anymore avatars coming, i can't keep a straight face looking at that one, bring back your BK Ron Moore avatar?!!
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #30
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default KJ

Welcome to Burger King, may I take your order?