Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Default My Lost in Space DVDs came today!

Huzzah! Just got my complete first season Lost in Space DVDs today. Amazingly, I ordered them just 2 days ago using Amazon's Super Saver Shipping, which usually takes several weeks longer than normal shipping. Yet I got them in just 2 days! Boy was I surprised! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

They are very fairly priced at $55 for all 29 episodes on 8 disks, plus a bonus episode which never aired. The first season was black and white of course, being it was 1965. Interestingly, one of the episodes was called Space Croppers - Galactica 1980 anyone?

The packaging is first rate - they used soft vinyl/polyethylene clear ultra thin cases for each disk, and the disks come out very easily. The box is quite heavy, so it even feels like you're getting your money's worth.

Just watched a few clips, WOW! I haven't seen this stuff since back then (never saw any reruns after 1970). Picture and sound seems clear, but I will watch some eps with my daughter and let you know in this thread what I find.

Don't miss your chance to be a kid again! And see Jonathan Harris as the human teasing the robot instead of the other way around!!!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

P.S. Oops, price went up to $59 today. Guess the preorder was a better deal than I thought. You might also check your local Costco and Walmart just to see.

Old January 15th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I hope they come out over here Muffit. I've got fond memories of coming home from school in the early '70s on Thursday and LIS being on. We only had a black and white telly then so I didn't see the colour episodes in colour until they were repeated on Channel 4 some years back.

Peter
Old January 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #4
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Muffit -

Congrats on your LIS DVDs... I'll be out buying mine tomorrow as soon as I leave work. Good job that I'm leaving early! I saw them in the Fry's advert for only 49.95. I can't wait to see them on crystal clear DVD - they will take place of the dodgy tapes I made off of Skiffy back when they used to show actual SciFi......

Have fun!
Bryan
________
Easy vape heater cover
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Peter and Bryan! So glad to see there are other LIS fans here! It's funny how Dr. Smith's character developed so radically into being the show stealer and garner of hearts. I can't wait to watch!

Thanks so much for responding!
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Watched the last episode tonight (that way I can watch the others in order with my fam' and hopefully will forget this ep by the time I get to it again). It's just as wonderful as I remember. But what I forgot - was the music! Incredibly good music for such campy fun. I noticed in the music credits is listed one "Johnny WIlliams" - is this the one and the same fantastic composer of so many movies nowadays, John Williiams? Sure sounds like it!

Can't wait to watch the rest - ooh, and it looks like season 2 will be color - the cliffhanger LIS is known for at the end of every ep is actually in color (then the credits go back to B/W).

Cheers all!

P.S. The picture is pristine. Great job!
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:36 AM   #7
Bijou88

Johnny Williams is indeed John Williams! They are one and the same man. He wrote the theame for the series and shared scoring duties with other composers. I have not purchased the LIS set yet but, it is at the top of my must have list. Like Battlestar Galactica, Lost in Space has had a disappointing revival. In that sense, they are kindred spirits.
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:38 PM   #8
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks Bijou! I thought it was him. Wow! He has a ton of credits for famous shows! Amazing Stories, Time Tunnel, Gilligan's Island, The Virginian, Wagon Train, Land of the Giants, too cool!

Update, now that the fam is all home again, got to start watching Lost in Space from the beginning. Haven't seen these in almost 40 years! The first ep I had almost completely forgotten. Unfortunately, the first couple eps are a bit slow for my family, guess like most shows they took a little while to really "find their groove". Luckily I watched the last one so before my fam could give up on it, I showed 'em a piece of that one - and scored big browny points!

*paraphrased a bit*
Dr. Smith: "I had to go for help and leave him there - you understand!"
Robot: "I understand. You chickened out"
Dr. Smith: "What do you know you bubble-headed booby"
Robot: "He who chickens out today, will chicken out another day!"

That got my daughter laughing!
Hope more of you can get this set so we can share footnotes and surprises.