Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 11th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Colonial Family names

Has there been anything at least quasi-canon (Novels or comics not fan fiction) written about colonial names?
So you know one Apollo from another?

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

You know, it could be something along the lines of some oriental cultures, where there are public and private names. (No expert on Oriental culture here, btw.)
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

According to an early version of Gun on Ice Planet Zero Dr Ravishol had a first name. Other than that the names in the series is one of the strong points of the show. They are ancient, biblical and from Earth's history. Just like the fact we're asked in the opening monologue whether or not Battlestar Galactica is set during our future or past?

The fact that we only know of their first names and not second is a mystery? They might have had a "Family Title" name or "Family House name" not use unless a positive I.D. was needed. Apollo of the house of...etc!

It's a lot better than re-immagining the names of the character's as "call sign" names in Moore's version.

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #4
Artemis
Warrior

One of the novels, I don't remember which, made reference to another pilot named Apollo that was a good friend of Adama's in his fighter pilot days and it is that person who he named his first son after. I don't remember any references to 2nd or family names though.
Old March 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

"War of the Gods" Artemis. I don't have it personally (i have novels 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 ) but that bit of information i have heard comes from there! LT Adama and LT Cain served in Bronze squadron and had a wingmate named Apollo aboard the Battlestar Cerberus.

According to whats been said about a passage in the 7th novel, during a battle inwhich the Cerberus was in, Adama was caught in the Cylon pinwheel attack (corkscrew maneuver three Cylon Raider ships use) Apollo saved him but was killed in the process. Adama honored him by naming his first born son after him.

Gee i may not like Ebay but it's high time i got those other novels, 7 upwards!

KJ
Old March 11th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Novels 11-14 are pretty good KJ. Did you read RH's already?
Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

This first one and Warhawk jewels! Hatch's novels have inventive stories but lack something after each one.

Q.S.E. technology, Scarlet/Duet/Azure Vipers, Superbasestars etc should be in any new Galactica series. Hatch is good with BG but after novel 2 i've spoiled myself reading in book shops about novels 3 and 4 and no i don't like those ones. I like the fact he makes things harder for the colonials, their hardships leads to bigger stories for the Galactica crew but the Pegasus fate in 3 and 4 is shocking and the sage goes in a different direction after novel 2 much too different.

KJ
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #8
KJ
Strike Leader

Yep lets not or may forget? Cleopatra was going to be turning up in a G1980 episode "The Day they kidnapped Cleopatra" which was actually shot untill the plug was pulled halfway through!

Ra, Rameses names etc could have turned up in the never filmed BG second season! Larson sure did was on to something when Galactica was on air, pity ABC and Universal egos kill it before they knew this.

KJ
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #9
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
Cleopatra, Tutenkamen, Ra, Rameses etc etc didn't have first/last names, did they?
Ra is a god so it is not to likly he would be confused with anyone else.
And the other names u mentioned were royalty.
It is also not too likly they would be confused with anyone else.
And people from that time did have family & given names tho yes.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #10
KJ
Strike Leader

Gods or not Hito the colonials used ancient names Commander Kronus is one example named after the Titan who was father to Zeus and the Olympians.

Proteus was Karibdis Alias in "Murder on the Rising star", a name also from ancient history.

KJ
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #11
GuitarEC

Default Could be greek

I'm no expert in greek naming but i have many greek friends and they usualy go only with first name and family(father's) name. Plus they adapt their names when dealing with non greek people. About 1/3 of the greek mans i know are Yorgos (not correct spelled), that they translate to george.
Old March 12th, 2003, 04:38 AM   #12
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

My two cents. They do have second names but they follow the name of the father like Apollo, son of Adama. So Apollo is Apollo Adama, and Troy would be Troy Apollo.

I think in Colonial society it isn't common to use the full name except for identity purposes, ceremonies, or if there is someone with the same first name in the workplace or to distinguish someone in a conversation.

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #13
Artemis
Warrior

The Vikings did a similar conversion of their names from one to two. They added their father's name with son on the end. As I remember from my high school Russian studies class, today's Russian names are a combination of their parent's with a suffix for son or daughter.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #14
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

If I ever have a son or daughter, I'm going to give my child one name .
( Supercalafragalisticexpyaladoshis ) Then I will teach him or her to be a chimney sweeper and sing songs on the roof tops of houses belonging to the fans of Battlestar Galactica. What do you think? It's a good reason to start a family.

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #15
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

The Gaels did too. Mc, and O' are both family preffixes.

People also took names from the places they lived, the jobs that they held, and their physical descriptions (usually hair colour, ie. White, Black, etc.)

Johnson McHill Carpenter Brown

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #16
GuitarEC

Quote:
Originally posted by oldwardaggit
If I ever have a son or daughter, I'm going to give my child one name .
( Supercalafragalisticexpyaladoshis ) Then I will teach him or her to be a chimney sweeper and sing songs on the roof tops of houses belonging to the fans of Battlestar Galactica. What do you think? It's a good reason to start a family.

OWD
OWD, because of the text above i almost broke my left arm when i fell of my chair laughing.
PLEASE, to avoid more acidents i ask you to start all messages like the above by "ATTENTION!! EXTREMLY FUNNY MESSAGE FOLOWS".

Thank you.

Old March 12th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #17
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default mary poppins

OWD,
It's spelled
super-cali-fragil-istic-expi-ali-docious.
Dug out my original soundtrack LP to get the correct spelling. (I know, I'm showing my age!)
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #18
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Lusitan, You've been here long enough to know that 95% of OWD's posts are extreemly funny.

RH
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #19
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Thanks Flamingo Girl. The Starbuck in your avatar looks like one happy guy for some one that is about to get his eye plucked out by a Flamingo.
I bet you will never look at your avatar the same way again.

skippercollecto. Thanks for the correction..........For a second there, I thought I misspelled Correction by leaving the cor off with an E in there instead.
I would be polite enough to thank any one for that too but that’s beside the point.

Lusitan, the last time I fell off a chair, the fall seemed to take forever and I had time to think. I thought of things like (Should I worry about what others think when I'm smiling at pretty flowers?) Then I hit the floor in pain and thought F*&^ those flowers, My F*&^%$# arm hurts.

OLD WART DAGGIT
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:50 PM   #20
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Flamingos scoop water that is full of little shrimps with their beaks, and sieve out the water leaving the shrimp, which they eat. They do not eat seeds or bugs like chickens they do NOT "peck"!

*strolls off half-way between a huff and a tizzy*

RH
Old March 13th, 2003, 05:06 AM   #21
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Hey where did ya go? Come back.

Ah shucks
I should have known better then to make fun of a very nice Avatar.

That Flamingo does look like he is itching to make Starbuck look like he played goalie for a dart team but I'm very sorry for what I said and I will immediately report to Darrell for 20 lashes of the wet noodle.

OWD
Old March 13th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #22
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

That is me there, thinking unpure thoughts, and trying to kep my eyes up....above....his....

RH
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:20 PM   #23
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

OW I see.

OWD