Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old March 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Tron is on today

Hadn't seen it since it was in the theatres so long ago.

Still pretty amazing to look at even though vector graphics and bezier curves would follow it a few years later. Just that it was programed a pixel at a time is just amazing. It really pushed the envelope on the tech of it's day.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I loved TRON. What a cool movie to watch as a kid...and it's still pretty fun to watch even today. Been thinking about getting the movie for my Playstation Portable.

Also, for anyone who has an XBOX, or a high-end enough PC, get the game TRON 2.0 Killer App. It's considered a genuine sequel to the movie TRON. It stars Bruce Boxleitner, reprising his role as Alan Bradley, and Cindy Morgan (who played Lora/Yori in the original) as a different character.

The game also has a lot of background information regarding the 20 years that had passed between TRON and the game. Pretty cool stuff.

And for multiplayer freaks (like yours truly) who've dreamed of dueling it out in light cycles or with deadly discs, this game has your fix.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #3
bear69designs

I caught two airings on Sci-Fi between watching the Bahrain GP and the Las Vegas NASCAR race (it was a lazy Sunday). I've played a demo of Killer App but not the whole game. Is it truly considered "canon" in the Tron universe? That was the impression I had since it came out but I never found out if that was official or not. For a guy like me who used to play the Intellivision games and the original coin-op the new stuff is just amazing.
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I just had to see Tron again, I hadn't seen it in such a long time.... I just never guessed that it would be on the SciFi Channel.... Who knew? A SciFi movie on the SciFi channel and it ain't an NBC/Uni property either!

I saw this film way back in the early 80s when I was in USAF Tech School in Biloxi MS. My friend, Mike and I really enjoyed it and we liked playing the game in the local arcade at the mall too!

Sure, the film technicques aren't as perfect as modern CGI effects are, but you had to give Disney points for doing it all the same. I was so surprised at how young Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner were back then. Those guys were really in good shape to be in costumes that basically were just little more than a jazzed up unitard. Cindy Morgan.....Ah-oo-GAH! She looked great! She looked better as her "live" counterpart though. I think that the only thing that doesn't thrill me as much as it used to was Wendy Carlos' synth-laden soundtrack. I used to have it on tape and played it a bit, but I guess it works better in the context of the film.

I really need to buy the DVD and take this in at least once a year in widescreen format and without a ton of commercials mucking things up.

Thanks for the heads up Julie!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Cindy Morgan, when she was shown the Yori outfit, basically said: "Hang on a sec!" And she rushed to the gym to lose 10-15 pounds. LOL! This was in the supplementary material of the TRON 20th Anniversary DVD that was released a few years ago.

I agree about the Wendy Carlos score....it works much better in the ambience of the film. On its own, it really sounds bare bones.

For those who are of a videogame bent, if you have an XBOX or a high-end PC gaming rig, get TRON 2.0 Killer App. To my knowledge, it is a canonized sequel to the original movie. It takes place 20 years later. Alan and his wife Lora (whose fate we learn through emails between Kevin Flyyn and the Encom company) had a son named Jethro Eugene Bradley...aka Jet Bradley, who kinda likes to get into trouble sometimes. A hostile corporation kidnaps Alan, and it is up to Jet to save him, only to discover a larger purpose in the works.

Bruce Boxleitner reprises his role as Alan. And Cindy Morgan provides a voice, but it is not Lora/Yori. As I said, the emails in the game give the backstory of events over the last 20 years.

It's a pretty cool game, and for those with a multiplayer gaming bent, well, who hasn't dreamed of dueling it out in Light Cycles, or with Deadly Discs?

You can get the game new for either Xbox or PC for about 20 bucks.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #6
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

There's also a comic book series that either has already made its way into comic book shops, or will be soon. The story is based around Alan's son and is set 20+ years after the original film. I had the "Story Of..." and original soundtrack on LP way back when. Journey's "Only Solutions" was featured in the film and LP.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmiloman
There's also a comic book series that either has already made its way into comic book shops, or will be soon. The story is based around Alan's son and is set 20+ years after the original film. I had the "Story Of..." and original soundtrack on LP way back when. Journey's "Only Solutions" was featured in the film and LP.
I used to have that "Story Of Tron" LP too. That was the coolest. I didn't get to see the movie until a couple years later (down at the public library in the media room)...so I memorized that LP word for word. Also came in handy as a Sound FX source when we had to make our own science fiction filmstrips in 8th grade. (For some reason, Mr. Covert, our teacher decided it would be cool to make sci-fi filmstrips-- drawing pictures on onion paper, and then presenting them to the class.)

Now that was a fun project. (I was the space cadet of the class....a term which wasn't always meant as a term of endearment by my peers-- because I was so heavy into space shows and movies). I think Mr. Covert did this to see if I could really do a good sci-fi story, and to get the other kids to understand me a little better....since this was a class assignment.

Well....everyone turned in their presentations. Some of them were pretty good. Others were, ...well....they gave it the ol' college try.

(Now this is where I KNOW the assignment was catered to me.) Mr. Covert held me back for the last presentation. My filmstrip was 99 handdrawn frames, set to a seventeen minute story soundtrack...complete with dramatic dialogue (all performed by yours truly), various selections from the Superman II soundtrack, and of course sound FX from The Story of Tron.

Well...that assignment managed to shut everyone up about me. I got nothing but compliments that day from everyone...even those who used to poke fun at me. Mr. Covert liked it so much that he had me come back to other classes that day, just to give my presentation to them too....and even had the principal come up for a showing. That's the second time I had repeat performances and a principal come up to see one of my film strips. A year before, in Social Studies class, our teacher, Mrs. Hurley, had us do filmstrips on other countries, or current events. I did my filmstrip on the Falkland Islands crisis at the time. (Using Superman II's main theme for the background music, and my Atari 2600 Asteroids and Missile Command games for Sound FX. )

Funny thing is, I mixed this all together with just two plain old tape recorders...but the sound mix was exquisite.

Yep, I have fond memories of that "Story of TRON" LP. Not only was it entertaining as hell for me, but it helped me get a good grade....TWICE!

Martok2112