Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 7th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #61
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I agree Lurkersrule ............welcome home
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #62
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi N~still, hi LurkerzRule

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #63
Fedaykin

Hi all

I must admit I have been keeping an eye on the BSG forums since the anouncement of the new series but not adding anything as here in Britain the new series isn't out till the week after next.

Now that I can see it in the UK soon and after sitting this evening and watching the preview on SKY I decided to dip a toe.

What amazed me was how the fan community has gone through the same schism that hit the Star Trek fandom in the 80's. Petition's, threats of boycotts and worse! I personally saw the idea of the new series as a good idea and have been excited about it.

Like the fandom of the TOS of Startrek there has been much demonising of the people producing the new series. Now I have had the chance to see the preview of the new series of BSG I found them to be honest people having a stab at bringing back a Sci-Fi show and not demons.

These days it's very hard for any Sci-Fi show to get off the ground let alone survive so they should be commended. Now that the mini series has been produced with a successful release and it look's like being picked up for further episode's the die hard complainers will find it harder to post.

I suspect if Battlestar Galactica (I have decided not to bother with the old series/new series business, to me it's Battlestar Galactica and the best way to heal wounds amongst the Fandom is to drop the labels) goes onto a long run fans of the old series will warm to it. I suspect that if the series goes onto a long run they will do what Paramount did with Startrek and have guest appearence's by the old stars in new rolls. It certainly helped heal things with the Startrek fans especially the episode with Spock and would certainly go along way to do the same thing with Battlestar Galactica fans. I find many a fan who use to be die hard old Startrek fans now feel happy with the expanded next generation community.

As another poster said so many fandoms fade away and disappear, this certainly could of happened to Battlestar Galactica (and is happening with the fandom of my Beloved Babylon 5 - SIGH). The new show should be seen as an amazing chance for new blood to be injected into the community. All the young new fans who may of never seen the original series can only be seen as good news especially as they will probably want to know how it all started and learn about the original series.

So when the new fans and members of the Battlestar Galactica family start turning up at conventions wearing uniforms icons they have made based on the new show welcome them, make them feel at home and congratulate them on taking an interest and commitment to Battlestar Galactica!
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #64
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

My interest and efforts lie with the continuation movie with the original cast. I don't care what they do with the new; that's their effort and I don't want to interfere with them in any way. When the new movie is released I'm going to see it four times the first week. IT's what I've been waiting for.

=========================
Edited:

Whoops, I think I got the wrong thread! :confused:

WELCOME BACK, COLONIAL FLEETS!
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #65
Fedaykin

Well personally I feel that BSG wasn't workable as a continuation whilst Start Trek was. I hate it when the word cannon gets banded arounded, why do people have to be such continuation junkies. Also the new series dosn't erase the old series, there isn't anybody running around burning copys of the old series. You can still go out and buy it and enjoy it (I certainly do).

The new series has been made now it looks like it has gone down well with the general viewing public and it looks like its going to be continued. Let live and embrace I say - don't take it as a slap on the face!
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #66
Tibbetts
Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
I said something about G80, and said I was running before he or Peter Noble caught me. So he chased me with the bash or hack smilies :laugh:
:laugh:

So, what did you enjoy about G80? Was it the fact that they got to Earth? Or those flying bikes they had?

With Respect,

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #67
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Well, having your parrot biting your mouse cable in half can really put you behind the excitment! I am so glad to see this! I agree with ojai...let's get on with the movie and let the mini go and I agree with Muffit..... When this place closed, I felt a big hole in my heart and I embraced the temporary site with open arms....
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #68
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lord
:laugh:

So, what did you enjoy about G80? Was it the fact that they got to Earth? Or those flying bikes they had?

With Respect,

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Only liked the premise & return of Starbuck. (I mean, who didn't want the Colonials to find us?? And to be the one to meet some of them?? cool concept, lousy execution) Only kept watching because I wanted to see if Starbuck & Apollo came back....Didn't like them declaring Apollo dead/lost AT ALL. Hated them stranding Starbuck on a planet. GRRRRR Spaceball and Superscouts--ICK.

SteveW & PeterNoble are the G80 fans. I'm just opinionated.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #69
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Starbuck: Geez I had this strange dream that we found Earth. There was some annoying kid named Zee or something like that. I must have had too much ambrosia because I even managed to fix a broken Cylon.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #70
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Galactica 1980 in a nutshell.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #71
Fedaykin

When I watched the creator of the new Battlestar Galactica (Ronald Moore I think - please correct me) firstly I noted that he wasn't the antichrist as has been suggested, but he did go over a reasonig for his reimagination.

Firstly he didn't wake up some day and say how can hurt the feelings or rile fans of the old series.

Secondly he was offered the show and he took it on. He sat down watched it thought about doing a continuation but rejected as he was excited about the project and felt that starting again would be more flexible. He could mould the cast and direction of the show.

Once he made that decision he stuck to it but has kept dialogue with the fandom going. In the end that was a very brave choice to make he must of known he was going to get flack. As far as I can make out he has been firm in his convictions but not rude.

I feel that alot of people have been taking this far to personally also the whole idea of a revival contination was unfortunate because it was always unlikely that it was going to get picked but it would build up peoples hopes and then unfairly dash them!(A continuation film is also frankly unlikely - not that I'm saying it wouldn't be fun)

I can see how after having your hopes squashed about the continuation a new series restarted with a new cast would cause problems with some people.

Looking at the new series (and remember I can't see it here in the uk for another week) it has some nice touches. The new viper looks like the older viper (but better nailed together - and the little reaction jets make alot of sense) and the Galactica looks slick but not a massive departure.

The cast seem nice and have been making an effort,it was great seeing Starbuck give Starbuck a cigar in Starbuck's. This is the sort of thing we should see, embrace the new, give it a chance after a while all the old pains will be distant.
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #72
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
Let live and embrace I say - don't take it as a slap on the face!
Hi Fedaykin! This is exactly what we are trying to do.
The circumstances that surrounded the mini is what many took as a slap on the face, among other things. Wounds are healing, and hopefuly we will continue to grow as a whole fandom.
A continuation of TOS is what many of us have been fighting for since the early 80's. When you've been wanting something for sooooooo long and come so close that continues to add fuel to the fire.

Respectfully,
Amberstar
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #73
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Welcome Fedaykin. You may most likely find many of us will stay true to what we love, no matter how distant it becomes for us. But I sincerely hope there is always a place for you and everyone of us here at CF, to share what we feel, dissimilar or otherwise.

Cheers,
Muffit
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #74
Fedaykin

Good point!

As I have been saying that now is the time to let things go now that a new show is probably the way it is going to go.

I fully understand that circumstances around its gestation have frustrated and upset, but it is important not to be beastly to fans of the new show but rather welcome them to the family and not treat the new show as somehow second class.

As I have said it is very hard for new Sci-Fi shows to get off the ground lets not kill it just because it might not be what some people don't want.
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #75
Fedaykin

I should further point out that until I get the chance to see the new Battlestar Galactica next week I'm only a fan of the old series so far. It's just I love any new Sci-Fi show and want to give this one a chance especially as it's darker path reminds of my beloved Babylon 5.
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #76
jewels

Colonial Fleets

For Fredakyn and anyone that hasn't seen the stuff from DeSanto:

What we missed out on, 6 weeks from shooting:
start here: tp://www.colonialfleets.com/data/desantoreport.htm

There's an illustrated article on www.cylon.org click on Battlestar Galactica, then 1978 series then Desanto, then pilot if I remember correctly.

for flash concept designs go to www.battlestarpegasus.com look for something like DeSanto Flash file on the main page. (it's here too but I don't have the link)

I don't know what the link is but if you see anything called "Foundation Demo" you really want to look at that too. Takes a divx codec to view.

That's what DIDN'T get produced. Still makes me want to cry......

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #77
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Fedaykin,

We've already been down this road many times in the past couple of years and for those of us who would have preferred a continuation, the scenery doesn't get any better looking on any of the trips.

Your pronouncement of a "continuation movie being frankly unlikely" is a rather BOLD statement. That must be a very powerful crystal ball that you are using.

Cast members being nice? Aaron Douglas, most definitely YES. Katee Sackhoff, most definitely NOT. E J Olmos, most definitely HONEST.

Continuation fans "warming up" to the Moore-version of BSG? For me, "not gonna happen".

"Give it a chance?" As I have responded many, many, many times to this incredibly overused phrase, "the writers and producers of the mini-series had their chance with me, they blew it!"

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #78
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin
Good point!

As I have been saying that now is the time to let things go now that a new show is probably the way it is going to go.

I fully understand that circumstances around its gestation have frustrated and upset, but it is important not to be beastly to fans of the new show but rather welcome them to the family and not treat the new show as somehow second class.

As I have said it is very hard for new Sci-Fi shows to get off the ground lets not kill it just because it might not be what some people don't want.
Well said Fedaykin. Please forgive us if we're kinda slow to accept that some liked the mini and embrace a new BSG. But if folks such as yourself can accept that we will always only love TOS, it will go along ways to helping us accept you for what you are too.

All the best,
Muffit
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #79
Fedaykin

Hmmm, in the end BST the best thing to do is just ingnore the new Battlestar Galactica if it's not your cup of tea, as I have said I love the old series but want to give the new one a chance. It certainly wasn't created as some sort of personal insult to you. This might be old ground but things would be much better if people didn't b*tch about it.

I don't feel that saying a continuation movie is unlikely is massively sweeping. I have no crystal ball and I'm not saying it's impossible but getting anyone to pick something up in hollywood is very challenging. There's no point working yourself up about it, if it happens fantastic but I'm not going to dwell on it.

As for Katee Sackhoff she has been recieving a lot of flack for taking the roll of Starbuck I suspect that anyone might become a bit Beastly when people have been throwing all sorts of vitriole at you.

Finally on another note whilst BSG 1980 wasn't the best choice I did like those bikes
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #80
Fedaykin

Just want to avoid the whole them and us thing that nearly tore apart the Startrek fandom.
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #81
jewels

Colonial Fleets

And we need to keep in mind that you've not seen it yet (the mini) and ewwwww, I hate to warn you but reactions were mixed.....

Glen Larson has the movie rights and they cost him money (as someone said, Glen likes money so he will want to make some with those rights). He expressed interest in working with Tom DeSanto, and Tom would jump onto a Galactica project in a heartbeat if he was wanted.....my crystal ball says it's just a matter of timing and showing the finance folks the sales figures for the dvd boxset.

OH, G80 bikes, photo online on Ken Larson's website. try looking up Ken or Kenneth Larson on google. He's a Universal Hartland alumn, was a model maker for them.

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #82
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I'll add my welcome, too, Fedaykin (a Dune fan, I suspect?). If you are truly a fan of TOS BSG, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts after you see the mini; particularly whether you see the mini as BSG.

Keep in mind, too, that we have already "given it a chance"; it's aired on this side of the pond already. I watched the first 10 minutes or so of it with my wife (the justifiably famous Mrs. Dawg), and we found it so boring (and so not BSG) that we turned it off. Others, though, found it enjoyable.

The common thread here at CF, though, is a love of TOS we all share, regardless of how we feel about the Moore production. In that spirit, I look forward to your contribution to our community.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #83
Fedaykin

Exactly Dawg,

In the end not everyone is going to like it but the response has been positive enough for Sci-Fi to begin the process of continuing it.

I suppose in the end deciding whether something is BSG or not is down to symantics, it's the same core story and some of the ships are certainly an homage to the original one but the whole sexier, darker feel is going to be a departure.

I just hope that if I like it (and I certainly will come back and give my feelings) that if I decide to go out start making replica costumes from the new series that I can turn up at a convention with out being lynched or shunned.

I just hate the hard core of people who go and on about how thay hate and why I should hate it. Just because I like the idea of a new series doesn't mean I question the loyalty of fans of the old series.
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #84
Fedaykin

Oh yes and I forgot to say a BIG dune fan!!!

And don't forget that was succesfully reimagined recently. (I must admit the newer version is closer to the book than the older film - same argument in reverse go figure?)
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #85
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Oh yes and I forgot to say a BIG dune fan!!!
I thought that was obvious from your handle. Do you play the Dune ccg?
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #86
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

Hi Fedaykin!

I like Dune as well! I even enjoyed Sci-Fi's mini about, for the most part. However, I think I would have had a problem with it if they had re-cast the role of Duncan Idaho w/ a woman.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the mini when it airs over there!

Long live the fighters of Muad dib!
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #87
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

welcome to the club Fedaykin. I was wondering what your handle stood for.
I had forgotten about Dune. I really loved the book.
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #88
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I think you're right Jewels ........it is just a matter of time ............
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #89
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin
Hmmm, in the end BST the best thing to do is just ingnore the new Battlestar Galactica if it's not your cup of tea, as I have said I love the old series but want to give the new one a chance. It certainly wasn't created as some sort of personal insult to you. This might be old ground but things would be much better if people didn't b*tch about it.
Fedaykin, sorry for sounding a little heated. Regarding the ignoring of the new show, I did exactly that - didn't watch it. There was so much info about it, from the draft script-most of which did survive to production, the Q&A with Eick, and the interviews with Moore, that I knew it just wasn't for me. For me, here, it 'gutted' too much of the original show's heart and soul, in favor of the new idea. There's quite a few folks, here, that would echo that sentiment. Depending on what you liked, from the Original, I'd be interested in reading your 'review' of the new show.

Quote:
I don't feel that saying a continuation movie is unlikely is massively sweeping. I have no crystal ball and I'm not saying it's impossible but getting anyone to pick something up in hollywood is very challenging. There's no point working yourself up about it, if it happens fantastic but I'm not going to dwell on it.
Not working myself up, at all. It's just that Universal does not hold ALL of the cards, only the TV rights. Larson owns the movie rights and may be inclined to do a project, in that medium, if there is interest in the product.

Quote:
As for Katee Sackhoff she has been recieving a lot of flack for taking the roll of Starbuck I suspect that anyone might become a bit Beastly when people have been throwing all sorts of vitriole at you.
Sackhoff in the role of Starbuck was not the only thing that I didn't like. Her level of tact and diplomacy could also use some work. Knowing the 'outrage' of the TOS crowd, she could have said something much more diplomatic than 'Deal with it'.

Quote:
Finally on another note whilst BSG 1980 wasn't the best choice I did like those bikes
I did too! In fact, IMO, they are not that far of a reach, technologically speaking. If an affordable propulsion method could be developed, something like those bikes could conceivably be a 'next step' in 'ground/air' transportation.

Welcome to the Fleets!!

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #90
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Bst I read the draft too ...... that's why I didn't watch it ...........
that's why I didn't let my kids watch it. I even warned my mother in law
who Wanted to watch it about the TV14 rating ............

she tried to watch it ........her TV wouldn't let her.

I'm sticking with the original and hopefully a better incarnation of BSG will come
along (something other then the mini!).