Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #31
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Costuming and Props Section

Might just use these as dress boots for now. Ya get what you pay for I know. They're okay for short periods and since most of the time I'll be in my battle boots, this should do fine for a while.

http://easterncoastcostume.com/Pages...ots/boot01.htm

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #32
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I'm not sure if it'd fall under "Props" or "Costumes" since it was technically a costume for a chimp...but you need to add Muffit to the list.
Mieal Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #33
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Copied from the Movie Rumor thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Actually "putting a face" on original series Galactica fandom is in the mission statement I just came up with!

So far we are going with "Black Star Squadron". Or "Blackstar"...haven't really discussed that. I think you hit the nail squarely on the head of what we're trying to do. It is a costuming group party, but more than that it is an idea of how to bring fans together. Throw a flag out and see who wants to hear what we're all about.

We'll also have a code of conduct regarding our dealings with hostile fans from the RDM series. With the current rumors of a film it just seems like a good time to splash some cold water on our collective faces and have some fun!

So, I didn't know where else to place this, but because it has to do with costumes, I though this would be appropriate. If not, my appologies.

Just a suggestion for a name for the BSG equivelant of the "501st":

Colonial Legions or just Colonial Wariors

I think a squadron can be a local or even regional level name, but for the overall name, it seems like it would be too generic. I could be wrong.

Anyway, just a thought.

Malkyte
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #34
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Malkyte has a very good point. I'm sure it works the same in the 501st, but speaking from my experience in the Rebel Legion, we're called the "Rebel Legion" regardless of costume...thus, a person could be a civilian or medical person and still belong however if they were a pilot they'd join the pilot "division". In the Rebel Legion, there's a pilot division called "Starfighter Command" and under that, each local area has a separate division. The midwest division of the Starfighter Command is called "Shadow Squadron".

So, maybe we could be called something like the "Ragtag Fleet" or "Colonial Colonists", "Colonial Refugees"...including all costumers. Under that the Warrior costumers could be called the "Colonial Warriors" and under that we could have separate Squadrons for local areas?? Just thinking "out loud" here...
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #35
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Excellent point. I think you should start out with one overall group name and then divide it up based on how many of each costume type/member joins.

Maybe '12 Colonies Costuming Group'? That would cover everyone, right?

Mark
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #36
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Can I ask a question? Just what exactly is the theme of the discussion here? It is a TOS costuming discussion and resource, or is it to be used as a costuming discussion and resource for a revival of some sort? I'm just trying to understand what the actual topic is about. If people are to come to this thread and look at the title, they're probably going to expect info about creating costumes, props, etc from the original series and whatever related discussion that might entail.

If this discussion thread is to be a discussion/resource for a group effort as part of a revival effort, the title might be a bit different so people know what the topic of discussion is when they see the title.

Mind you, I'm not trying to be all control freakish or anything, just making some suggestion or two.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #37
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Since there is only this topic for discussion of costumes and props, we've sort of turned this thread into an "all things costumes and props" discussion. We're talking about recreating classic/original costumes and props as well as starting up a costuming group. Or, anything else costume/prop related anyone wants to discuss.
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #38
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
Can I ask a question? Just what exactly is the theme of the discussion here? It is a TOS costuming discussion and resource, or is it to be used as a costuming discussion and resource for a revival of some sort? I'm just trying to understand what the actual topic is about. If people are to come to this thread and look at the title, they're probably going to expect info about creating costumes, props, etc from the original series and whatever related discussion that might entail.

If this discussion thread is to be a discussion/resource for a group effort as part of a revival effort, the title might be a bit different so people know what the topic of discussion is when they see the title.

Mind you, I'm not trying to be all control freakish or anything, just making some suggestion or two.

Bryan
Totally understand your post here, which was why some had asked for a costuming section within the forum so we could discuss the wide variety of topics this subject stirs...would you be able to help us get a section dedicated just for costuming and and even for the costuming guild? This would help us out a lot!
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #39
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

ok, back to some costume discussion -

I watched Mission Galactica last night before going to sleep, and noticved a few things, Well, confirmed a few things it more like it lol.

Mostly about Cassiopia's Med Tech costume. The dress itself seems to ahve stayed fairly consistant through the run, but details have changed.

The dress seems to be made fromt he same material as the Warrior's Beige uniform. But the pattern is more in the way of the Selik's Medical tunic. (the dress zippers up the back, similarly to the medical Tunic. (zipper goes from the neck line to about the butt area) Another difference with her dress is it's missing the pockets that Selik's tunic had. there appears to be no pockets at all on the dress.

The interesting thing about the costume is the patch. For the first half of the run, Cassie has a Standard Galactica Patch no her arm. It wasn't till Fire in Space that she had the diamond shapped patch on her arm. (Mission Galactica was a good thing to watch, cause you saw the change in the patch)

That's all I got in the one viewing. Hope that helps

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #40
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Great observations!

A couple notes on the med tunics- at least two different materials were used during the series. Jim and I each have a medical tunic that are completely different materials of very similar colors. The one I have has a clear circular outline where a patch WAS sewn on prior to the diamond med patch. I believe this one dates back to the pilot movie; as you observed, the diamond patch came later.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
ok, back to some costume discussion -

I watched Mission Galactica last night before going to sleep, and noticved a few things, Well, confirmed a few things it more like it lol.

Mostly about Cassiopia's Med Tech costume. The dress itself seems to ahve stayed fairly consistant through the run, but details have changed.

The dress seems to be made fromt he same material as the Warrior's Beige uniform. But the pattern is more in the way of the Selik's Medical tunic. (the dress zippers up the back, similarly to the medical Tunic. (zipper goes from the neck line to about the butt area) Another difference with her dress is it's missing the pockets that Selik's tunic had. there appears to be no pockets at all on the dress.

The interesting thing about the costume is the patch. For the first half of the run, Cassie has a Standard Galactica Patch no her arm. It wasn't till Fire in Space that she had the diamond shapped patch on her arm. (Mission Galactica was a good thing to watch, cause you saw the change in the patch)

That's all I got in the one viewing. Hope that helps
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #41
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

outstanding Mark, thank you!!!

It's possible you're tunic is fromt he Doc that had all the scenes with Serina, in the deleted dying scenes. I'd have to see the scenes again to confirm what patch he had, but I'd bet it's the Galactica patch.

Do either of you know which actors wore the tunics?

Old March 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #42
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

There are no names in either tunic, so we always assumed it was background med or science personell.

Mark
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #43
monolith21
Squadron Leader

We should probably break this into a few different threads. Gemini, I think we were all just putting it here to keep it straight! Right now there is a flurry of ideas...which is a good thing, but I can see it getting a confusing for someone coming in and reading it.

What is being discussed so far would be "Props and Costuming" and the new Cotuming group. The promotional ideas all fall under the mission statement of the costuming group.

As far as the squadron name, here is the reasoning behind why we went with a single squadron. Staying within canon we're not breaking into Battlestars or things of that nature. The reason we wanted to launch this thing here was that it would be part of...the colonial fleet! Instead of just "Colonial Warriors". The fleet encompases all military and civillian concepts within the canon.

Within that the military aspects would fall under Blackstar Squadron. Therefore all of us would be encompassed under the banner "Colonial Fleet: Black Star Squadron". Its catchier than just coming up with a costuming moniker. A lot falls under "Rebel Legion" and the "501st" as well from military to political.

A few of us have been working to organize all of this so we don't end up with mix matched threads like this. I promise it will all be organized soon Gemini! Of course that organization will just be a starting point for more ideas so keep 'em coming!!!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #44
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

mark, its this what you would like to suggest that the boards to be broken up into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
EDIT

So...as the planning sort of gets underway. I thought I'd throw this out here to see if anyone would want to add or take away from this possible list. This is in no way final. Just something I came up with in a few minutes.

This is just my list of how to organize what I'm trying to compile (I hope everyone contributes!).

Props

Armory
Gear
Helmets
Watches
Computers etc.
Other
Viper builds (Come on...who is first?)
Currency
etc.

Pins/Patches

Costumes
(Colonial)
Battlesuit
Resources
Jacket
Tunic
Gun Belt
Boots
Misc
Snow suit
Assault Uniform
Space Suit
Fire Suit

Dress Uniform
Resources
Cape
Tunic
Dress Belt
Dress Boots
Accessories

Command
Resources
Tunic
Belt
Boots
Commander Cain

Dress Command
Resources
Dress Robes (Like Adama wears)
Standard Dress

Sciences
Resources
Medical/Science Tunic

Security
Resources
Council Securty
Strike Teams
Honor Guard

Cylon
Centurion
Gold
IL Series
Imperious Leader
Reptillian

Misc
Ovions
Borays
Eastern Alliance
Count Iblis
Borellian Nomen

Second Coming

DeSanto/Singer

Civillian (Triad costume anyone? Bueller...)
Resources
Carillon Attire
Off Duty
Young Lords,Magnificent Warriors Etc.

Custom/Non Canon
Resources
Creations

Suggestions
Got an idea for something new?

Council/War Room
Convention planning.
Pilot Debriefing.

Officer's Club
Relax, have some grog, maybe a fumarello or a game of pyramid!
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #45
monolith21
Squadron Leader

On my way to PM you brother!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #46
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Ed,

Another note on the med uniform patch switch- after scanning through the eps, it appears that the med/science tunic bore the regular circular BSG patch until Fire In Space. All the medical personel have the diamond patch in that show and thereafter.

Mark
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #47
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I'd be very interested to know more about the two (or more??) kinds of fabrics that the med tunics were made of.

I watched "Lost Planet of the Gods" last night before going to bed, and I thought I saw a center chest pocket on Cass' dress...it might just be that it had seams like the doc's tunic but no pocket...? I'll have to look at it closer.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #48
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Not sure about Cass' dress/pocket- I would assume it did have the same kind of pocket from a cosisitancy-of-design standpoint.

The med tunic material is very different from the warrior uniforms/jackets. Its a much more standard type of material. I'll show it to some friends who know material better than I do and see if I can ID it.

Mark
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #49
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

My guess would be it's probably more along the lines of a cotton/poplin sort of material. ?
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #50
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Probably if I remember correctly. It has no sheen to it at all, so its probably all cotton.

Mark
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #51
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyfett View Post
Probably if I remember correctly. It has no sheen to it at all, so its probably all cotton.

Mark
Mark -

I would have to agree with it being some sort of cotton or poplin. The ultra suede that was used to make most of the uniforms doesn't drape very well with the normal weight fabrics that were used. The capes also used an ultra suede, but they had a lining underneath, so they held their shape better.

The only sad thing about using some sort of cotton or poplin is that those fabrics are prone to wrinkling - the good news is that we've made a lot of progress and have non-wrinkle cotton blends that weren't available in 1978.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #52
Aphrodite
Socialator

What about the pressure suits under the uniforms?? You men should know what I'm talking about.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #53
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
What about the pressure suits under the uniforms?? You men should know what I'm talking about.
I have actually thought that would make a decent after hours costume at Dragon Con lol.

Of course It's not somethign I should ask to be included in the costumes lol

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #54
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieal Deneb View Post
I'd be very interested to know more about the two (or more??) kinds of fabrics that the med tunics were made of.

I watched "Lost Planet of the Gods" last night before going to bed, and I thought I saw a center chest pocket on Cass' dress...it might just be that it had seams like the doc's tunic but no pocket...? I'll have to look at it closer.

this is the best shot I have out of my random screen cap folder,

Looking at this shot, there does seem to be some extra material where the top pocket is on the medical tunic, but I don't see the "top" of the pocket.

This is an earlier grap, showing the zipper in the back

this is from Living Legand. It sort of shows what could be the top of the pocket,

I'll try to get more of Cassie on thurs night, I'll put somethign on the computer and watch.

As a side note, and to continue some costume discussion (now with photos lol)

In that last photo you can see the Pegasus honor guard costumes. Unlike the Galactica honor guards, the gloves do not have smaller patches on them. the Tan's are worn just liek the dress uniform, withthe dress boots and belt. But no cape or Necklace. The do not wear a laser gunbelt.

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #55
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
Ah the pressure suits... I've thought about those. Using some kind of underarmor type of suit dyed and modded might actually be good to wear under the uniform!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #56
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

You know very well they created the pressure suits specifically for the men watching, right? Makes me wonder what the men's version would have looked like...

I expect they were probably made out of some sort of spandex material.
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #57
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
You know very well they created the pressure suits specifically for the men watching, right? Makes me wonder what the men's version would have looked like...

There are modern forms of spandex that have a metallic look to them without showing anything underneath. I think that if a pressure suit was designed for a guy, then it would definitely require what is referred to as a "dance belt", which is used to reign part the male body to be less obvious or obtrusive when wearing something that is form fitting. I think that if you found something that was somewhat body colored in tone, but had that metallic or somewhat sparkly look, it would give the impression of a relatively sheer garment without it really being so.

Bryan

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #58
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:

It was called a Triad uniform, that's what was done for the women lol

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #59
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Oooh...ouch. I'd say the women got the short end of the stick then! Should we even put those in the costume section? Might be a fun game to play but I wouldn't wear that get up on a dare!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #60
Aphrodite
Socialator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
There are modern forms of spandex that have a metallic look to them without showing anything underneath. I think that if a pressure suit was designed for a guy, then it would definitely require what is referred to as a "dance belt", which is used to reign part the male body to be less obvious or obtrusive when wearing something that is form fitting. I think that if you found something that was somewhat body colored in tone, but had that metallic or somewhat sparkly look, it would give the impression of a relatively sheer garment without it really being so.

Bryan
Sort of like Seven of Nine's outfit on ST: Voyager.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote