Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1
jjrakman

Question Why did Imperious Leader and Iblis have the same voice?

Was this ever clarified anywhere? In the show, books, comics, etc?
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman
Was this ever clarified anywhere? In the show, books, comics, etc?
Uh...Because it was the same person.
Patrick Macnee was the Imperious Leader's voice and Count Iblis as well!
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

JJ, go watch the episode again, Baltar asks the same question.

Go watch the episode!
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Baltar: I know that voice.

Iblis: it is the voice of truth

Baltar is in his cell and Iblis pays a visit.

Iblis: stop pacing Baltar! Stop pacing old friend.

Baltar: I recognized that voice the voice of the Imperious leader.

Iblis: The Cylons are machines. Are you saying I am a machine?

Baltar: The Cylons were once living creatures who let themselves be destroyed by their creations.

Iblis: For me to be the imperious leader I would have to be over a thousand yahren old.

In Hatch’s books it is explained that Iblis is a human banished to the planet Cylon where he uses his DNA to conduct experiments on the reptilian Cylons who eventually kill him. Iblis doesn’t ascend however and is caught as a horrid creature.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"In Hatch’s books it is explained that Iblis is a human banished to the planet Cylon where he uses his DNA to conduct experiments on the reptilian Cylons who eventually kill him. Iblis doesn’t ascend however and is caught as a horrid creature. "

Yeesh, there's another reason why I'm not inclined to favor anything Hatch comes up with.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #6
jjrakman

Quote:
Baltar: I know that voice.

Iblis: it is the voice of truth

Baltar is in his cell and Iblis pays a visit.

Iblis: stop pacing Baltar! Stop pacing old friend.

Baltar: I recognized that voice the voice of the Imperious leader.

Iblis: The Cylons are machines. Are you saying I am a machine?

Baltar: The Cylons were once living creatures who let themselves be destroyed by their creations.

Iblis: For me to be the imperious leader I would have to be over a thousand yahren old.
If that's what you're referring to Peter, I remember that. But it doesn't really explain anything in detail. Just alludes to something that we never got to see fully explored. I guess it's that scene that I wonder if it was ever clarified further.
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Bijou88

My theory is that Iblis is an eternal force of evil in the galactica universe. He is the ying to the "space angels" yang. He appeared to the reptillion cylons thousands of years ago. Perhaps as a benevolent being of mystery. Overtime, his evil influence holds the early cylons under his sway. His malevolence corrupted the early cylons to becoming the gol-mogging-tin-heads we know today. As for the voice, well, do you think Iblis would pick any other voice to lead the galactic empire of evil he urged into creation?

This is purely my theory and is not (to my knowlege) a reflection of any official source.
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I doubt Iblis *started* the Cylon robotic race.

Rather, I think he's the one that pointed them towards the humans after the Hasari incident, and in order to communicate with the humans, he provided his voice for ONE of the Imperious Leaders.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #9
Bijou88

I'm not saying Iblis sat down and put cylon nuts and bolts together. But he may have influenced a chain of events that led to the present day Cylon empire. His evil may have led to the downfall of the organic Cylons.
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

...and my post was a generalized post, not a direct response to yours
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #11
jjrakman

It's always made me wonder because Iblis and Imperious Leader's motivations seem to me to be seperate.

Imperious Leader wants to get on with "the final annihilation of Man"

And Iblis seems to kind of want to manipulate and play with Man.

So that always seemed to suggest to me that they had to be seperate individuals. Still, there seems to be some kind of connection as suggested by Baltar's insight.
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

This has to be viewed against a larger backdrop:

It was stated in War of the Gods, that Iblis was once a Being of Light but, was 'cast out', setting the stage for a conflict between the Beings of Light on one side and Count Iblis and his followers on the other.

From the scant details provided on the episodes, it is apparent that neither side has sufficient strength to 'destroy' the other. Each side is only as strong as the strength of their followers / believers. So, their next step is to wage the battle through proxies -- humans on the 'good side', Cylons on the 'evil side'.

The Beings of Light have already intervened on the humans' behalf but, not in incredibly substantial ways. That is apparently against their code of ethics.

Iblis, on the other hand, seems to not employ a code of ethics and may very well believe that the ends justify the means.

To that end, my thought is that while Iblis may not have actually destroyed the reptilian Cylons, he provided the basis for the Imperious Leader by 'implanting' his mind (thoughts) into the 3rd Cylon brain that signifies the IL. Then, the robotic Cylons carried out the orders of the IL and destroyed the 'real' Cylons. In essence, he IS the Imperious Leader as well as Count Iblis and the Devil and possibly a whole list of evil beings which were never discussed on the show.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #13
jjrakman

If this that is true, and Iblis somehow planted his mind in the Imperious Leader's 3rd brain, then why would Iblis and the Imperious Leaders motivations seem seperate and distinct?

Iblis wanting to control and manipulate Man, Imperious Leader and the Cylons wanting to destroy Man.

And how would implanting Iblis mind into the Imperious Leader's 3rd brain effect his vocal cords?
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #14
mocha2112
Warrior

Quote:
If this that is true, and Iblis somehow planted his mind in the Imperious Leader's 3rd brain, then why would Iblis and the Imperious Leaders motivations seem seperate and distinct?

Iblis wanting to control and manipulate Man, Imperious Leader and the Cylons wanting to destroy Man.

And how would implanting Iblis mind into the Imperious Leader's 3rd brain effect his vocal cords?
If you go with the line that Iblis is "The Devil" (and I do), then Iblis has a need for "souls" and/ or followers. He's already gotten all of the Cylons' souls and since they have long died off, he must move on to "fresh meat", leaving the Imperious Leader to just follow out "his" programming. I never thought Iblis planted his mind into the Imperious Leader as such. More just his voice, but I might be simplifing it too much.

just my take on it...
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Bijou88

There have been some great thoughts on the issue here. I think that everyone's opinion is a different facet of the true nature of the Iblis/Imperious leader question. In the end, I think it can be safely agreed upon that Iblis and the Cylons have some type of history together.
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #16
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:

"Fringe benefit" ??

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #17
jjrakman

Quote:
If you go with the line that Iblis is "The Devil" (and I do), then Iblis has a need for "souls" and/ or followers. He's already gotten all of the Cylons' souls and since they have long died off, he must move on to "fresh meat",
This part makes alot of sense.

Quote:
leaving the Imperious Leader to just follow out "his" programming.
But then, wouldn't have Iblis have programmed them to "convert" or subjugate Man, as opposed to just annihilating them?

Quote:
I think that everyone's opinion is a different facet of the true nature of the Iblis/Imperious leader question.
Well, the relationship doesn't seem to have been mapped out in any great detail, so all it seems we can really do is speculate with what little information we have.

Quote:
In the end, I think it can be safely agreed upon that Iblis and the Cylons have some type of history together.
I think that's for certain.

Quote:
"Fringe benefit" ??
Benefit indeed. Iblis has a killer voice.
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #18
mocha2112
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocha2112
If you go with the line that Iblis is "The Devil" (and I do), then Iblis has a need for "souls" and/ or followers. He's already gotten all of the Cylons' souls and since they have long died off, he must move on to "fresh meat",

Quote:
This part makes alot of sense.
thanks...

Quote:
But then, wouldn't have Iblis have programmed them to "convert" or subjugate Man, as opposed to just annihilating them?
Never thought about it before, but my first guess would be because of that whole pesky "free will" clause. Just because people are subjugated doesn't mean they "believe" or "follow" you. You're always going to have them bad apples like Adama and Apollo who just won't follow no matter what and those are the ones that need to be taken out before the spoil the rest of the barrel.

However, if you recall the whole trying to kill Sheba thing, Iblis wasn't "allowed" to kill a non-follower so he has to get someone else (i.e. a current follower(s)) to do it for him. And because the "White Light" guys were also controlled by "free will" they couldn't stop a Iblis follower(s) (i.e. the Cylons) from "deciding" to kill a non-Iblis follower(s). They could only keep Iblis himself in check.

(shrug) How's that?