Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Antelope

Default TOS Question: Deleted Adama/Apollo Scene

I read on another thread that there was a deleted scene in "Saga of A Star World" where Apollo "confronts" Adama. Is this true? If it is what was the deleted scene, when in the show was it supposed to appear, and what was meant by it? Why was it deleted?

Thanks if anyone knows the answer.
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Yes. I can see it in my mind's eye, in fact. It's in Saga, right before Carillon. Apollo gives Adama what for over Sire Uri. Some of that scene was in the broadcast, if I'm not mistaken, but not the bulk of Apollo's lines.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - it's been several weeks since I've seen it.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Yes. I can see it in my mind's eye, in fact. It's in Saga, right before Carillon. Apollo gives Adama what for over Sire Uri. Some of that scene was in the broadcast, if I'm not mistaken, but not the bulk of Apollo's lines.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - it's been several weeks since I've seen it.

I am
Dawg

Dawg -

You aren't mistaken - it was the scene where Adama says: "Sire Uri must be laughing up his sleeve!"

It was a really good scene to show where Apollo had a mind of his own and not just follow in his father's shadow. There were also a couple of confrontation scenes between Apollo and Adama in "Lost Planet of the Gods" as well...

Bryan
________
WILLOW RUN TRANSMISSION
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #4
amberstar
Strike Leader

I also remember that scene, though it has been a while since I have watched it. I think they are in Adama's room and Apollo is angry that adama is giving in to Uri. He really lets him have it.

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I believed the extended unused scene had Apollo arguing with defeat minded Adama to get him into action while Athena was furiously defending her father against her brother.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #6
Westy
Warrior

That was in the sensa-round version in the theaters I'm pretty sure. The Athena/Starbuck locker room scene was too.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:28 PM   #7
ViperTech

On the Epic DVD series, the deleted scenes include a few extra scenes in Adama's quarters. One includes Apollo and Adama directly after the scene in the Council Chambers when Apollo proposes the blind Viper mission into the Nova Madagon, where Adama demands an explanation from Apollo and worries aloud about Uri "laughing up his sleeve" at Adama. Apollo asks Adama why he supported Uri's appointment to the New Council of 12 and Adama says that in his younger days, Uri was a brilliant visionary and artist in the "Golden Days of Caprica." It's actually included in the regular presentation of "Saga of a Star World" on the DVD, along with Athena and Starbuck's scene when she's hiding behind the locker door with "nothing on."

There are two other scenes. First, one where Adama, dressed in casual wear, admits to Athena that he's tired and not able to shoulder the burden of leading the fleet to Earth. "Let someone else lead." he tells her. She tries to comfort and encourage him and is frustrated by his lack of desire.

Next, one where Apollo and Athena are debating with Adama about said decision to "let someone else lead." As previously mentioned on this thread, Apollo is adamant in his disagreement, while Athena is defending Adama.
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #8
kat

what does tos stand for?
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #9
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

"The Original Series"

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Antelope

Thanks for the answers! I am glad they deleted the Adama questioning his own leadership scene. It is not the character of the Adama we know and love.

Athena naked behind a locker? There's one scene they could have left in!

TOS- the original series
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Athena naked behind a locker? There's one scene they could have left in!
It wasn't really "naked" - Athena was wearing her "G-Suit" in that scene. I don't know why she had to hide behind that locker door....There was a scene in "Lost Planet of the Gods" where there was a gaggle of girl cadets wearing them in full view of Starbuck and Apollo (as well as the audience).

Bryan
________
Amber
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #12
kat

Thank You Antelope526 and Dawg
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #13
Aeneas
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTech
On the Epic DVD series, the deleted scenes include a few extra scenes in Adama's quarters. One includes Apollo and Adama directly after the scene in the Council Chambers when Apollo proposes the blind Viper mission into the Nova Madagon, where Adama demands an explanation from Apollo and worries aloud about Uri "laughing up his sleeve" at Adama. Apollo asks Adama why he supported Uri's appointment to the New Council of 12 and Adama says that in his younger days, Uri was a brilliant visionary and artist in the "Golden Days of Caprica." It's actually included in the regular presentation of "Saga of a Star World" on the DVD, along with Athena and Starbuck's scene when she's hiding behind the locker door with "nothing on."

There are two other scenes. First, one where Adama, dressed in casual wear, admits to Athena that he's tired and not able to shoulder the burden of leading the fleet to Earth. "Let someone else lead." he tells her. She tries to comfort and encourage him and is frustrated by his lack of desire.

Next, one where Apollo and Athena are debating with Adama about said decision to "let someone else lead." As previously mentioned on this thread, Apollo is adamant in his disagreement, while Athena is defending Adama.
[late lurking...again]
I could be wrong but I think the Adama/Apollo/Athena debate is meant to take place place either immediately after the Uri/Adama "Carillon debate or(more likely due to participants) the scene where Adama is pouring his heart out to Athena.

Just as guess!
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #14
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Ironically those deleted scenes with Athena show Maren Jensen's best acting in the entire series IMO. And therein might lie the explanation of why she got disenchanted with the series to point of being all but out of the picture by season's end.

Even so, while she did a fine job in those scenes they totally worked against the credibility of the episode showing Adama deciding to resign as leader because after he sells the people on this idea of looking for Earth the idea of him quitting just doesn't ring true.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #15
larocque6689
Warrior

http://www.colonialfleets.com/jlarchives/main.html

Visit the document "Differences in the Battlestar Galactica pilot", which is basiaclly the widescreen movie versus the Epic Series ABC version. You'll find a complete synposis of the missing scenes.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #16
Aeneas
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Ironically those deleted scenes with Athena show Maren Jensen's best acting in the entire series IMO. And therein might lie the explanation of why she got disenchanted with the series to point of being all but out of the picture by season's end.

Even so, while she did a fine job in those scenes they totally worked against the credibility of the episode showing Adama deciding to resign as leader because after he sells the people on this idea of looking for Earth the idea of him quitting just doesn't ring true.

I agree, 100% on that scene showcasing Maren's acting ability.

As for the other; I kinda LIKED the portrayal of Adama as a man plagued with private doubts. It ADDS credibility to his character and makes him more well rounded--a mythic hero with flaws(classical literature). Maybe it doesn't appear to work well in "Saga" but it diefinately sets the backdrop for Adama throughout the series--particularly setting the stage for the Adama/Cain conflict in LL.

Here's whybriefly I hope):
Adama @ Carillon is a man of mixed emotions. First and foremost, as the head of his family, he's just experienced the grief of losing his wife Ila and son (Zac). Then, he is dealing with the shock of witnessing the destruction of his home,his planet/civilization, and his entire way of life. (Notice the feelings of helplessness he expresses to Athena concerning the woman and child he saw on Caprica--if the Cylons have their way, the are almost surely doomed!!! The Adaptations play pretty well on that in a couple of sentences.) Finally, Adama as a seasoned Warrior who has spent his entire life defending his Nation, must surely be grappling with the desire of vengeance against the Cylons for what they've done!
All the above flesh out Adama's character into the role of "relucant leader/savior" ala Moses in "the Ten Commandments"--"who me, Lord?"(Hey, even Jesus had His moment of weakness in the Garden.) It's this that makes the character easier to relate to on a human level.

Once Adama meets up with Cain, he's more or less dealt with all these burdens and more in coming to his ultimate decision(of course he had help from his family and--indirectly--Uri<notice the Council doesn't even come near Cain!!>) Cain has had the luxury of being away when the Colonies fell (whatever his motives) and that, along with his pride as a Warrior, plus his desire to see the War won(ala Patton) gives him the persona of a man seeking all out Vengeance(Ahab/Khan). Adama knows better--the good of the people comes before settling old scores.(The adapt on the Fanfic site really fleshes this out!)
That's ONE arguement I have with the MINI(which I like somewhat--we're all friends here! ): If Adama(2003) needs Laura Roslin to convince him of the futility of continuing the War--and you have to believe he still harbors those feelings--what's gonna happen when they do meet up with Cain?
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #17
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas
ICain has had the luxury of being away when the Colonies fell (whatever his motives) and that, along with his pride as a Warrior, plus his desire to see the War won(ala Patton) gives him the persona of a man seeking all out Vengeance(Ahab/Khan). Adama knows better--the good of the people comes before settling old scores.(The adapt on the Fanfic sight really fleshes this out!)
I'm glad you found what that adaptation put forth re: Cain and Adama to be credible!
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #18
Aeneas
Warrior

Quote:
I'm glad you found what that adaptation put forth re: Cain and Adama to be credible!
Oh yeah--you DID write that one. I love those!

Personally, I'm working on a couple of fanfic projects of my own.

One is "Adama's War" an adaptation of the first 3 runs in Maximun Press' "Asylum".

The other(ultimately) is a series called "Battlestar Prometheus"--an idea of mine own. One of the main characters(as you can guess by my sig) is Captain Aeneas, who(spoiler) is the son of one of the TOS characters.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #19
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Personally, I'm working on a couple of fanfic projects of my own.
One is "Adama's War" an adaptation of the first 3 runs in Maximun Press' "Asylum". The othe(ultimately) is a series called "Battlestar Prometheus"--an idea of mine own. One of the main characters(as you can guess by my sig) is Captain Aeneas, who(spoiler) is the son of one of the TOS characters.
If you're interested, I recommend joining the fanfic mailing list where we aspring authors post our work in progress for feedback before submitting the final versions to the website. We'd be glad to have you! (I know I'd be interested in seeing adaptations of the Max Press stories I liked).
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #20
Aeneas
Warrior

Quote:
If you're interested, I recommend joining the fanfic mailing list where we aspring authors post our work in progress for feedback before submitting the final versions to the website. We'd be glad to have you! (I know I'd be interested in seeing adaptations of the Max Press stories I liked).

What's the address/link?
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #21
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
What's the address/link?
Here's the FAQ for the mailing list (from the fanfic website) that gives information on how to join.

http://www.galacticafanfic.com/fanlist.txt

The fanfic site also maintains an archive of stories currently in progress on the list that eventually go to the main fanfic site (http://www.galacticafanfic.com/bsg-page.html) when finished here:

http://www.mirarialpacafarm.com/~archives/index.html

Hope to see your work soon!
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #22
Aeneas
Warrior

Quote:
Here's the FAQ for the mailing list (from the fanfic website) that gives information on how to join.

http://www.galacticafanfic.com/fanlist.txt

The fanfic site also maintains an archive of stories currently in progress on the list that eventually go to the main fanfic site (http://www.galacticafanfic.com/bsg-page.html) when finished here:

http://www.mirarialpacafarm.com/~archives/index.html

Hope to see your work soon!
I'll get on it.(Currently overseeing remodling of house. )
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #23
Senmut
Strike Leader

I don't see it as out of character for Adama to have such doubts. After all, he's lost his fleet, his planets, his wife, one son, billions of fellow Humans, been betrayed, and now, after the euphoria of saying we're going to earth fades, he runs into the same sort of obstructionist crap from the Council that led to the Holocaust. Supporting Uri, then having him stab Adama in the back could have been it. I think almost any one of us would have experienced a period of self-doubt and weakness. As it is only seen by his children, it fits well into the character.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #24
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
I'll get on it.(Currently overseeing remodling of house. )

Whenever you can!
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #25
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
As it is only seen by his children, it fits well into the character.
The problem though is that as filmed (and the original Larson novelization shows this), Adama actually does go ahead and resigns and does not get restored to the position of leadership until episode's end.
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #26
Senmut
Strike Leader

In a way, that might even have been better. After a near-debacle, he can say "See? I told you so."
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #27
bsg1fan1975
Major

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg

I am
Dawg

You are correct Dawg. That is exactly it.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #28
CaptainApollo
On Vacation...

Hello folkes,

Yaa... the cut out scenes eh,
there are actually alot of them,

In Canada on the Space Channel (the Canadian version of the Sci-Fi Channel),
they played the BSG episode with ALL of the CUT SCENES...

it significantly improved the plot,
the character seemed deeper, more human, alot more compelling,

the scenes never should have been cut in the first place...

Does anyone has the DVD compilation of the original series?
Its pretty pricy ($ 135 CDN, so I guess about $ 100 US),

its got the original uncut BSG Movie (aka "Saga of a Star World),
and ALL the original episodes....

I've been walking past the DVD store, and oggling it....

I've got to "give in" and buy it,

Take care, CaptainApollo
CaptainApollo is offline   Reply With Quote