Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM   #1
Antelope

Default Why Not DeSanto?

I haven't read the DeSanto script but I read what everyone is saying about it so I think I have a good idea of the plot and theme. It seems most people believe that this should be the "new" Battlestar. Since SCIFI and the business world in general don't have a heart what is it about the DeSanto version that they didn't like that caused it not to be made?

Is there a money reason behind this? Is there something about the plot that SCIFI thought wouldn't sell?

I am honestly curious. I am not one to go for the "they are stupid" answer. Why don't we have the DeSanto version?

Last edited by Antelope; January 21st, 2004 at 01:46 PM..
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Well, they are.

:laugh:

Seriously, there were several reasons the DeSanto version didn't go - according to the man himself, 9/11 had a lot to do with it (travel restrictions, etc. and the sets were in Canada). Brian Singer was obliged to split his time with X-2 (eventually had to leave BSG altogether). Fox liked Firefly.

There are others here who can give full answers (I'm at work now), but that's basically a start.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:45 PM   #3
bsg1fan1975
Major

I wish they had given it a chance!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Many factors contributed to fandom getting the royal treatment. Besides 9/11, FOX choosing Firefly was another major hinderance. Tom was still signed for the project when it moved to USA Network. It moved to Sci Fi Channel and they decided that if they made BG a Star Trek project we would watch. Better yet hire Ron Moore of Trek fame. Look what we saw. A FELDERCARB that wasn't BG but a horror show.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:27 PM   #5
originalsinner

I Hoping on a BSG movie, Will prove Ron and Friends wrong! PEOPLE REMENBER THE ORIGINAL
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #6
angry penguin

I'm not so sure that Desanto's version of BG should be the "new" one anyway. But, that's just me.