Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 17th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #1
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

Default Minimum cost for Decent BG Movie

If Glen Larson gets his movie made what kind of minimum budget would be required to do it justice?
Assuming that cost of making a picture were frozen (for arguments sake) how much do people think would be required.
If Desanto can make something on television which most people would consider watchable for say 11 million dollars in 2002 for television, could he not do something similar for the big screen for say 50 milliion.
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #2
dru
Shuttle Pilot

This is difficult to say. Star Trek Nemesis (2002) was made for around $70 million and it was abominable. I realize that $20m of that if not more went to Patrick Stewart and Data's salaries. But they already had some of the sets needed. I looked back recently and Jurassic Park was made on a fairly small budget by today's standards. I think it really depends on the film to be told and the director. If it's effects heavy, the budget will rise quickly but a budget minded producer and skilled director (look what Harve Bennet & Nicholas Meyer did with Star Trek II) can put together a solid outing. Frankly, Nemesis had neither, imho. The key is the story. If done like the X-Men, this would have to be an "introduction" film since there are huge numbers of young movie goers who were too young to see BSG in 78 or even the 80 edition.

Still, I think $50m is a reasonable budget for a good BSG feature, with plenty of effects, considering the original cast can't justify huge paychecks and there are definitely sets which need building. The benefit is that a successful BSG feature could mean at least a sequel, perhaps a trilogy. And that would mean larger budget. If the fans are patient with Larson & DeSanto if they end up doing a more "introductory" film than we'd hope, I think we'd benefit in the long run with perhaps a second or third big screen adventure.

With LOTR finished next month, Star Wars all but finished and Star Trek all but box office poison, I'd love to see BSG become the breakout sci-fi/mythos epic it had the potential of becoming.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #3
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

Well said. I totally agree with you
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Take a reasonable sizable budget, and have Larson and DeSanto make a Battlestar Galactica trilogy for around 60 or 80 Million dollars.

At least that way produce a movie which will have the fans and viewers watching the first one without too much to live up too (budget and hope wise) and if successful, continue on with the other two and make Battlestar Galactica the next big thing.

Seems logical.

KJ
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #5
octagon
Shuttle Pilot

Default How about an animated one?

What are the possibilities of an animated BG movie? What about an animated series on some place like the Cartoon Channel? It'd be much cheaper to do imho.
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote