Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 29th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Apoptygma
Bad Email Address

Default The flight stick ....

Anyone else ever notice that on the Viper flight sticks the red button to launch the laser torpedos reads "Stores" on some and "Fire" on others ...

Why would this be? Are there different models of the Viper being flown in TOS?
Apoptygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #2
mikedx
Warriordx

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarGalacticaAutographs.com

Hey, welcome aboard!

This question may have been covered somewhere previously, but here's what I know. The "stores" written under the red laser button, as well as different designations for the other buttons, to my knowledge was only used in parts of, or maybe the whole Pilot. Then they switched over to "fire" in the rest of the episodes.

My guess is that they used their heads along the way and figured it made more sense to just put "fire" which is a lot easier to understand, but I can't answer the question of why they used "stores" to begin with. Short for weapons stores?

The following two pics were taken (I think, I got these images some time ago) during Saga when Starbuck is flying around the Galactica shooting cylons after the initial attack:

Mike
mikedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Apoptygma
Bad Email Address

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I see also that Camel Pulse was switched to IM for the reverse thrusters. What was the center button called in the pilot ... I know it was turbo in the following episodes. I guess they dumbed downed for the series.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
mikedx
Warriordx

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarGalacticaAutographs.com

Well, can't say for sure. I just went through the whole episode, and this is the only other pic of relevance:

The last word is "AUTO". The first letter of the first word is "C", and the last letters are "RA". So I dunno. I also don't know for sure that it is "CAMEL PULSE". It's a posibility, but I don't think you ever see the entire word.

Mike
mikedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

It is "camera auto". As I understand it, the joystick they used for these close-ups was marked incorrectly - or, rather, had not been modified - and nobody caught it. I think they were only used in a couple of scenes, though.

Welcome to Fleets, Apoptygma.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Apoptygma
Bad Email Address

A cool ... hello Dawg. Then I would assume it's Camera pulse, instead of camel pulse. Heh ...
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

My thinking is the early flight control stick was not modified but my google search of American Air Force fighter cock pit images is not coming up with anything. Closest so far was the SR-81 Blackbird...maybe it is from a Navy plane?
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

I agree, I always assumed that the stick was initially filmed in its original guise then changed to be more 'authentic'.
Which if correct leaves the question: what was it originally mounted on that had remote control of camera functions?
I thought that being a film studio it could be taken from some camera set-up on a remote arm.
Alternatively I presume some choppers could have a similar set up for a nose camera?
Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #9
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I had heard that it was from a remote control camera apparatus, hence the "camera' on the stick...

On another board, someone found that there is a stick almost exaclty like our beloved Viper stick on some plane called the Bronco...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote