Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old November 5th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Voyage to the bottom of the sea dvds

repost from tvshowsondvd.com:

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was the brainchild of Writer/Producer/Director Irwin Allen... the "Master of Disaster."It ran on ABC 1964-1968 and was for its four years of some of the best and most exciting science fiction on TV at the time. The classic adventures aboard the "SSRN Seaview" will captivate you today, as much as they did in the 60s.

You've been expecting this for awhile, but Fox has finally announced the release of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: Season 1 Volume 1 for February 21. This 4 disc set will contain 15 of the 32 episodes from the first season:

Disc 1 side 1:
Eleven Days to Zero
The City Beneath the Sea

Disc 1 side 2:
The Fear Makers
The Mist of Silence

Disc 2 side 1:
The Price of Doom
The Sky is Falling

Disc 2 side 2:
Turn Back the Clock
The Village of Guilt

Disc 3 side 1:
Hot Line
Submarine Sunk Here

Disc 3 side 2:
The Magnus Beam
No Way Out

Disc 4 side 1:
The Blizzard Makers
The Ghost of Moby Dick

Disc 4 side 2:
Long Live the King

The full frame (1.33:1) picture will be accompanied by English, Spanish and French Mono soundtracks, as well as English and Spanish subtitles. The set will sell for $39.98 US, or $54.98 CAN. The only extra is an Unaired B&W Pilot (Eleven Days to Zero). We'll have artwork when it's available
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #2
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Nice to see this get a DVD release as well, since "Time Tunnel" had also been announced. "Ghost Of Moby Dick" is one of my favorite episodes (and helped land June Lockhart her role in "Lost In Space"). "Turn Back The Clock" though is the ultimate case of Allen using stock footage to cheat the audience since the episode is built entirely around footage from "The Lost World" and Hedison implausibly puts on clothes solely so he can match footage of him from "Lost World" (Vitinia Marcus, who was a native girl in that film also returns in this episode in the same kind of part to match footage). I read where ABC got a lot of complaints over this episode because the audience was more savvy than Allen figured and remembered "Lost World" well enough to know what was being foisted on them, and so as a result the episode wasn't repeated.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Good to see it's going to be released, but why only 15 eps of the first season? And why barely any extras?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

This alas, is Fox's procedure with the Irwin Allen shows. Lost In Space, starting with Season 2 got split season releases, and so too is "Time Tunnel" which comes out a month before Voyage, with just the first half of the episodes of its only season.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #5
Lt.Troy
Shuttle Pilot

I wonder why they'd split up a show that only has one season. It seems kind of greedy and pointless.
Lt.Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #6
Bijou88

I think the stratagy is to make the sets mor affordable to the casual buyer. Season 1 of Lost in Space was complete and retailed at around $60. The following seasons were split and retailed at about $30. I guess this approch worked because they are doing this for both Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Time Tunnel. As for no bonus features, I have no explanation other than they figure fans will buy the sets regardless. Why put in the time and money if the sets will sell anywhay. I guess this logic works because when this set is released, I will be one of the first to buy it. I love VTTBOTS!
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I'm looking forward to it as well, but I am really not a fan of split season releases. I suppose ultimately it's better than nothing but I think a full season of episodes should always be released for the sake of convenience. I wasn't thrilled that LIS was stretched out a year longer release wise to get all episodes out, and with the Irwin Allen shows it's going to take even longer for all episodes of Voyage to get out ultimately, if Fox will stay committed to releasing all of them.

Old January 18th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Bijou88

I think they will release all of the four seasons of the show eventually. There are lots of baby-boomers out there that want to see the Seaview and her crew battleing giant whales, aliens, mummies, puppets and left over monsters from Lost in Space. I can't wait. It would be great to have some of the cast record a commentary or two. I won't hold my breath though. The Lost in Space sets were pretty skimpy in the extras department.