Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:46 PM   #421
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

And LAST but not least in my lil' gallery sampling!!!! Here for your visual and mental entertainment I present.... "VERONICA!!!"
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM   #422
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquad2001
And LAST but not least in my lil' gallery sampling!!!! Here for your visual and mental entertainment I present.... "VERONICA!!!"
All I can say is

Jim
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM   #423
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman
All I can say is

Jim
Okay...already! Give me about ten minute to go through my pics and I'll post a Viper buildup for a customer of mine out in Calif.
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #424
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Okay, this is the original series Viper that I was commission to build-up and includes lights which I'm working on the finishing of now. The holes that you see along the canopy mechanism are for the hydralic tube works that will allow the canopy to raise and lower. It took along time to design and work out the kinks in it. I also had to rebuild the canopy so that it held the glass that I installed better. But it's not my DeSanto buid-up, but it's a work of art...or will be once finished!
More DeSanto Viper pics plus pilot later. Now I gots ta go cuddles my lady an drift off into oblivion!!!! Night Dilbertman!!!

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #425
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Okay, this is the original series Viper that I was commission to build-up and includes lights which I'm working on the finishing of now. The holes that you see along the canopy mechanism are for the hydralic tube works that will allow the canopy to raise and lower. It took along time to design and work out the kinks in it. I also had to rebuild the canopy so that it held the glass that I installed better. But it's not my DeSanto buid-up, but it's a work of art...or will be once finished!
More DeSanto Viper pics plus pilot later. Now I gots ta go cuddles my lady an drift off into oblivion!!!! Night Dilbertman!!!

COOL, BS2001 . Looking forward to the DeSanto Viper when your done with your woman.

Jim
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #426
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Hey check this out.

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/RefDs...rTOS/index.htm

Jim

PS - Go here to.

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forum...ead.php?t=1099
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #427
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
I'm an artist, and a professional, and have seen alot of demanding and whining tones BARRY!
And if you want info and I give it, then have the heart to respond at least say and acknowledge something in return. It's just that no one after asking seems interested enough to respond, wether simply positive or negative, or offer simple opinions and suggestions. This is'nt about ego, it's about communicating to the artist and giving comments and suggestions or even a compliment. And this is the way that all true artists with this kinda passion are.
Goodnight!
Michael,

Whats' to comment on? You're kicking arse here. You have to understand that if the conversation gets too drawn out, people are going to start losing interest. Its not that your work isn't any good...far far FAR from it.

But to use somewhat graphic but shared terminology, you can only tease your lover so much before she becomes numb.

It very cool to see all the development going on and we are all grateful that you're givng us the inside look. But you've gotta watch out for that "next prettiest girl" both for yourself AND for your audience. She'll steal the attention away every time.

That having been said, we're all waiting patiently for the freakishly superb DeSanto Viper kit you're making. You'll have to forgive us the occasional exasperated sigh. We know it will be worth it.

So, the lesson here is "Don't let frustration build and ruin a fun time. On EITHER side."

-Gordon
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #428
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Muffit

Quote:
NEW PILOT SCULPT PICS
NOT FINISHED!!
In other words, don't try to be too harse before he's complete.
But he's moving faster now. I'm going to do him full body in a standing pose, then cut him at the right spot so that he'll seat in the viper properly. BUT....he'll also be available to order extra to stand next to the viper. But I'm typing this now with a HUGE hole in my mouth where an enormous tooth used to be, and the laughing gas and codiene is still kicking!
But i'm here sculpting on him now.

Okay dude, Comments? You desire comments?

I think your sculpt is really cool looking.

The original helmet sculpt (from the preproduction stills) doesn't look very good. I think the detailing is overdone. I think the proportions are funky and look far too back-heavy. I think the design fits far too closely to the face and would have hampered the actors ability to reach a range of expression necessary for modern audiences. And I think the sculptor/designer was trying far too hard to "update" a helmet that needs very little to do so.

Honestly? I would have LOVED to have a shot at redesigning the helmet. But I haven't. I may consider that as a project sometime soon. If I get some time.

I haven't seen any of the other reference for the fighter pilot outfits, so there's nothing to comment upon as far as the suit goes. I hope there's some remnant of the big box-y buckles going on with the front of the "jacket". Making the whole thing too streamlined removes visual interest... especially when you're talking about shooting in hard light. No detail, no shadows. No shadows, no depth. No depth, no visual interest.

Yes, having a form-fitting flight suit is sexy. And I'm sure that the female pilots would have looked just lovely encased in flexible, form-fitting boobie traps like that (if you're into the whole latex/bondage thing). But there's a reason that certain types of clothing are cut the way they are... to help accentuate the good things and de-emphasize the bad things. And tailors over the centuries have managed to figure out a very refined system of making that happen. Remember the first season of ST:NG?

Gene Roddenberry wanted to put everybody into skin-tight jumpsuits. He had a thing for the jumpsuit. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. The problem is that a one-piece garment is about the most inefficient way to clothe a human being. Just ask any WOMAN who has been forced to wear a jumpsuit. They'll rip your ear off telling you exactly what you can do with a jumpsuit and where it will fit in your designer's anatomy.

The other problem with skin-tight wardrobe is that it accentuates the DIFFERENCES in everyone's body type in your cast. You don't want that. If you're dealing with a military look, you want everyone (at least from the neck down) to have a similar line to their uniform. And military uniforms are what we're talking about here. When properly fitted, a military uniform should look just as good on a short person with a long waist as it does on a tall person with short legs.

Can't do that with a jumpsuit unless you pad and tailor each and every suit (like they did for season one of ST:NG. And then they started getting into trouble with the cast gaining weight and aging. Expensive. That's why they switched to the tunic/pants combo almost immediately. Notice that nobody ever wore the "skant" version of the uniform after season one? Thats because it just looked stupid. Very few people have photogenic knees.

Okay, I know we're talking about a suit that'd only be worn in the cockpit, but the production would eventually need to show them in the suits outside the cockpit. Best to just deal with the problem from an overall standpoint at square one.

-G
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #429
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Honestly? I would have LOVED to have a shot at redesigning the helmet. But I haven't. I may consider that as a project sometime soon. If I get some time.
-G
I say, Go For It!

Jim
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #430
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertman
I say, Go For It!

Jim
Go for it????? Go for what? I missed that Dilbertman!
And thanks Gordon, but....do I do it liike he designed, or do it like I'd like to see it?????? Big question!
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #431
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Okay, I know. And I think that you should do a new helmet Gordon.
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #432
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Okay, I know. And I think that you should do a new helmet Gordon.
I agree with my learned friends above. I want to see Gordon take a crack at it. He's got the talent, the passion and the experience, but not the time.

But yes, I think Gordon's the man for the job. We've seen his finished products but we ain't seen any of his etchings yet.

Gordon, show us your etchings!

Best,

Peter
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #433
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

I would be thrilled to use a DeSanto take on the original helmet in my film.
Another Film Maker
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #434
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept17th
I would be thrilled to use a DeSanto take on the original helmet in my film.
Was'nt it you, that had recently asked me for a phone conversation?
And did you not get my P.M.??
Anyway, I have been repeatedly informed that you needed to talk to me, but never called? Must not have been that important?
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #435
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

I'm back in Korea again till late April, calls back to the states are difficult. When I was home last month there where a few I coudn't reach about the fan film.
Another Film Maker
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #436
spcglider
Squadron Leader

I will try to get some ideas down on paper soon. The thing is that I don't have anything against the overall detailing of the Desanto helmet. I just think it looks out of proportion and back-heavy. But that just may be the way the sculptor interpreted it.

But I have a few ideas about what I would have done on my own, so I'll get them on paper first. I'll try to do that sometime this week while I'm thinking about it.

-G
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #437
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
I will try to get some ideas down on paper soon. The thing is that I don't have anything against the overall detailing of the Desanto helmet. I just think it looks out of proportion and back-heavy. But that just may be the way the sculptor interpreted it.

But I have a few ideas about what I would have done on my own, so I'll get them on paper first. I'll try to do that sometime this week while I'm thinking about it.

-G
Great, I'm looking forward to it.

Best,

Peter
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #438
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Great, I'm looking forward to it.

Best,

Peter
That sounds like a plan that could lead somewhere!
Hi Peter! Hope all is well with you. Just ordered the last batch of silicone today and it is finished! The Viper will ship, I and Terri are aiming for the first of the week. And when the very first full parts are cast, even hopefully before the first of the week, we will ready the boxes and ship what we have ready!!!
I'm excited!!!!!!
The Raider is already being constructed, and a new thread on that wil be started shortly. All I can say is....."It's a BIG ship!!!!"
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #439
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

By the way, the Raiders body alone is 17 1/8 wide by 13 1/4 long! It's BIG!!!
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #440
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Cool, and – how big!!!

Best,

Peter
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #441
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Thats some serious size issues there. But hey, that makes an impressive model.

I still need to get a Studio Scale TOS Viper. The Desanto raider will have to wait a bit for me.

-G
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #442
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Cool, and – how big!!!

Best,

Peter
The BIGGER....The Better!
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #443
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Thats some serious size issues there. But hey, that makes an impressive model.

I still need to get a Studio Scale TOS Viper. The Desanto raider will have to wait a bit for me.

-G
Gordon....Call me on this!
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #444
Aussieviper
Shuttle Pilot

Hi all, WOW!!! Does this mean the Desanto Vipers are just about ready??!!
That rocks!! I think I am last in line for the pre order though! Bluesquad, you are a bad man, waving a studio scale raider under our noses as well! Time for me to drop to my knees and plead with my minister for war and finance, to try and justify why we need one! Can't wait to see the soon to be shipped viper and looking forward to following the progress of the raider as well. Cheers from down under, Chris
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #445
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieviper
Hi all, WOW!!! Does this mean the Desanto Vipers are just about ready??!!
That rocks!! I think I am last in line for the pre order though! Bluesquad, you are a bad man, waving a studio scale raider under our noses as well! Time for me to drop to my knees and plead with my minister for war and finance, to try and justify why we need one! Can't wait to see the soon to be shipped viper and looking forward to following the progress of the raider as well. Cheers from down under, Chris
Yes they are just about ready. And, it'll be worth the wait. I learned alot of lessons while casting this, and do not make the same mistakes twice!
The Raider is practically falling together. And will follow quickly on the Vipers tail!
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #446
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

That's one hell of an accelerated learning curve you've been through Michael!

Best,

Peter
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #447
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I got a HUGE kick looking at the ass end of this thing. I love seeing my CG work turn into something physical.

Sandy
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #448
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
I got a HUGE kick looking at the ass end of this thing. I love seeing my CG work turn into something physical.

Sandy
I did'nt use any C.G. work???? I don't understand. The only images that I have and used on the Raider are direct final designs from Tom D. You never sent anything to me Sandy? I'm confused.
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #449
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

My bad. Poor timing on my part.

I was referring to the back of the DeSanto viper which seemd to be about 2/3rds of the ass end of what I created for the ROS CG viper.

Sandy
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #450
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
My bad. Poor timing on my part.

I was referring to the back of the DeSanto viper which seemd to be about 2/3rds of the ass end of what I created for the ROS CG viper.

Sandy
The TwoBrainedCylon said "My Bad!" That's too cool!

Closed Thread