Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Antelope

Default American Battlestar

Here is something you can throw in the "Life imitating art file":

I was watching a show on UFOs a couple weeks ago when the guest being interviewed was a supposed "expert" on where the U.S. government is technologically on advanced artificial gravity propulsion systems. Take this with a grain of salt but I think a Battlestar Galactica fan will find this interesting or humorous.

Affter showing various still and video pictures of various U.S. Air Force craft that are supposedly power by artificial gravity including a modified B-2 Stealth Bomber the guest went on to state that the U.S. Air Force has an extremely large weapons platform that dwarfs known aircraft in size and can operate both within the Earth's atmosphere and beyond it. He stated that among those familiar with the craft within the U.S. Air Force and UFO community it is informally referred to as:

"The American Battlestar"

It sure would be funny if some sort of black project comes to light down the road and as a result of Battlestar Galactica the weapons end up being called Battlestars in reality.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:31 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Now, wouldn't that be poetic justice?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
It sure would be funny if some sort of black project comes to light down the road and as a result of Battlestar Galactica the weapons end up being called Battlestars in reality.
You mean like Star Wars?
Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:14 PM   #4
Antelope

Star Wars was a name given to a concept by the media to ridicule President Reagan. No actual system has been deployed referred to as Star Wars. Star Wars is a vague statement covering many concepts. In the above post it references a rumored space based military craft that is referred to by those who believe in its existence as an "American Battlestar". It may be that the generic word for a large space based military craft may become "battlestar" just like the word "tank" stuck to modern tanks in English for other strange reasons at the time they were first built.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 03:39 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

The British in WW1 thought they looked like water tanks. The original tanks didn't have a large turret and were essentially a big mobile steel box.

it would be neat to see a real Battlestar. Hopefully the name will be for a military vehicle and not a professional wrestler.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:01 PM   #6
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

If you are really interested in current Space Weapon Technology and proposed weapon systems, read the articles here:
http://www.space.com/businesstechnol...nd_040222.html
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:27 PM   #7
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I read in a fictional account of Gulf I (I think written by Dale Brown but it coulda been Tom Clancy), where a commander of a M1A1 platon referred to his units as "Battlestars".

I would not want to be an enemy ELINT troop monitoring that transmission if I had ever seen an episode of BG.

Tank platoon commander--"All Battlestars, fire at will"
Enemy ELINT trooper--"Oh s&^t"
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote