Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1
BRG
Warrior

Question Baltar's treason?

Has it ever been revealed why Baltar aided the Cylons in virtually wiping out the human race?
Why do you think he would choose this path? I was pondering this today, and 3 reasons sprung to mind!

Power
Baltar appeared to be a man who needed power, and was constantly craving more. I seem to recall his saying after the Ambush that his colony was to be spared, this suggested that he wished to be absolute ruler over what was left of the human race.
Also, during the series, he delights in command of his basestars, sitting on the command chair like a king on his thrown. During 'The Living Legend' he states that he will make Gammoray his "outer capital", apparently he was considering a future coupe against Imperious Leader! And even during the prison breakout, he assumed command of the escape party. All of this points too a power crazed man.

The problem with this argument is that Baltar weilded considerable power already. He was a member of the Council of Twelve, and a trusted advisor to President Aidar. Perhaps Baltar knew he could never be President? Mabey he was very popular in his own colony, but not so amoung the rest? Mabey some other politician had some dirt on him, and was wating for the right moment too destroy him?
What do you think?

Self Preservation
Indeed, Baltar was a fully paid up member of The Self Presevation Society! Thoughout the series, whenever he has been in a tight spot, Baltar will try to lie, beg, or bargin his way out of trouble. When threatend with execution by the Cylons, he groveled and promised to deliver Galactica in exchange for his life. When Cain came charging at him with the Pegasus, he pulled himself out of danger, but sacrificed two basestars to save his skin. And in 'Hand of God', he offered tactical information to Apollo & Starbuck on attacking a basestar in exchange for his freedom. This is a man who is excpert at looking after No. 1!

So. Do you think that during the peace negotiations, Baltar got wind of the fact that the Cylons were planning an all out attack on the Colonies, and instead of warning the Colonial Fleet, he cut a deal to save himself and his colony in exchange for helping the Cylons destroy the rest of humanity?
What do you think?

Iblis
Ah, Count Iblis!
If I recall correctly, when Baltar met Iblis, he was stunned to descover that he had the same voice as Imperious Leader! Could it be that Iblis was Imperious Leader? And during the peace negotiations sensed the darkness within Baltar, and used his mind control to bend him to his will, much like he did with Sheba?
Could it possibly be true?
What do you think?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, or already been resolved, but it's been on my mind all day!
Baltar was a wonderful character, one of the bst baddies of all time IMO! It's just a pity we never had a few more season to descover his motivations.
BRG

PS- Sorry if my post is a bit on the long side. I started it, and it sort of went out of control!
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #2
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
Has it ever been revealed why Baltar aided the Cylons in virtually wiping out the human race?
My understanding is that the Cylons promised that Baltar's colony could be spared and he would become the absolute ruler of his colony. Thus, in my view, power was his main motivation.
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Yes power, your paragraph about Baltar's power grab is spot on IMO. There is a great line in LPOTG that wound up on the cutting room floor that elaborates the power grab motivation. Later after he had been duped self preservation kicked in.

Why should Baltar be one of twelve when he could be the one. So what if his society was in shambles after defeat. He would build new palaces while babies starved going with out medicine. His statue would be in every town square, Charybdis would head Baltar's secret death squads...sound like anybody familiar.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Man i loved John Colicos!

Baltar was an amazing character. I was very saddened to not see him at Galacticon since he passed before the event.

Baltar was all about power. Wanted to be the absolute ruler. Seems he nearly got what he wanted. If not for the Galactica surviving he would have been executed.
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #5
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I'm with the self-preservation theory mainly.

Obviously Baltar had dealings with the Cylons, especialaly when it came to Tylium suppplies.

I think he got wind of the Cylon plan and tried to make the best deal to save his own arse and being an opportunist, tried to make a deal on the side too.
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #6
jjrakman

I thought he was promised by the Cylons that the humans would be subjugated under him.
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Yes, any remaining humans would be subjugated under Baltar. So much backstory and other stories could still be written ala expanded universe in Star Wars...

too bad no authors are willing to tackle these kinds of things and bring more life to the franchise...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #8
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman
I thought he was promised by the Cylons that the humans would be subjugated under him.

That’s what I think would be most likely .
but I would like to know or if anyone has any ideas to the first meeting with the Cylons. He is also a basic coward so I don't believe he would go to them.... I like to think the Cylons intercepted Baltar in Space and some how convinced him that they you allow him and his Colony to survive.. “Help us and LIVE , We grow tired of the losses of war .. Do this a rule as master in our name!!”. type of thing . Having some Intelligence about Baltar they would think he would be easer to turn to their way of thinking and after the Colonies are destroyed Baltar can easily be disposed off.

Just a thought

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Baltar's treason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
I'm with the self-preservation theory mainly.

Obviously Baltar had dealings with the Cylons, especialaly when it came to Tylium suppplies.

I think he got wind of the Cylon plan and tried to make the best deal to save his own arse and being an opportunist, tried to make a deal on the side too.
Exactly. He felt the Colonies could not survive what the Cylons were planning, so he sold out his own people for "survival". Instead of standing up for his own race, he grovelled at the altar of Baltar. The Cylons, of course, had no intention of being true to their bargain. To them, Baltar was what Lenin referred to as an "useful idiot".
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
My understanding is that the Cylons promised that Baltar's colony could be spared and he would become the absolute ruler of his colony. Thus, in my view, power was his main motivation.
Yes, that's my understanding, too, based upon the original 3-part "Saga of a Star World" dialogue between Baltar and the Imperious Leader prior to Baltar's "supposedly" execution.
Old May 21st, 2020, 01:17 PM   #11
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Default Power

I'm in agreement with power. Remember Galadriel's words at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring

Quote:
Galadriel: "And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men — who above all else, desire power."
Regards,
Old May 22nd, 2020, 04:21 PM   #12
Senmut
Strike Leader

Baltar is the sort of personality that never has enough. Yes, he had power, but he wanted more. Like a Stalin, the only thing he feared, with all his power, was losing that power. If the Cylons won, and the gist seems that the Colonies were slowly being ground down by enemy, then Baltar would be just one more piece of pulsar fodder. As a man driven to survive, regardless of the cost to others, he felt the only way to stay alive, and on top, was to go over to the enemy. Unfortunately, consumed as he was with himself, he was unable to see that the enemy was just as given to lying as he was, and the Imperious Leader was no more intending to keep his word, than Baltar would have, had their positions been reversed.
Baltar wanted to survive, and lose none of the power and wealth to which he was accustomed. That's my two cubits worth.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote