Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Conventions
Notices
Conventions Non BG Conventions included too!

Old August 13th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #31
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: How Many Original Series Cast Members Have you Met?

Naturally. The good stuff always seems to run short on budget.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:35 PM   #32
Rhaven Blaack
Warrior

I was at Galacticon 4 in August 2015. There I met Richard Hatch, Terry Carter, and Ann Lockhart.
(Here are the photos. )
IMAG0081.jpg IMAG0071.jpg IMAG0084.jpg
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:45 PM   #33
Senmut
Strike Leader

Sadly, none.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:04 PM   #34
Jayworld
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
I was at Galacticon 4 in August 2015. There I met Richard Hatch, Terry Carter, and Ann Lockhart.
(Here are the photos. )
Attachment 6844 Attachment 6845 Attachment 6846
Very nice that you got to meet Terry Carter in person; I've heard the "in-person" experience with him is truly wonderful. Anne Lockhart is always so nice (she loves to talk about her cutting horses and barrel racing), and Richard Hatch is, too.... Great pictures!
Old January 23rd, 2017, 09:16 PM   #35
Rhaven Blaack
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Very nice that you got to meet Terry Carter in person; I've heard the "in-person" experience with him is truly wonderful. Anne Lockhart is always so nice (she loves to talk about her cutting horses and barrel racing), and Richard Hatch is, too.... Great pictures!
All three of them were very wonderful people to talk to and it was a GREAT pleasure and honour to meet them.
Old August 11th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #36
Jubal
Warrior

Can't believe I didn't already answer this.

Anne Lockhart
Richard Hatch
Dirk Benedict
Herb Jefferson, Jr.
Jack Stauffer
John de Lancie
Terry Carter
Noah Hathaway
Sarah Rush

And most of those, not DeLancie, were at Galacticon 3 in Houston, TX.
Met a lot of that other Galactica show and they were really nice people. The other Galactica was 10 years old then.

I understand there will be another Galacticon in Houston next year, which I will try to attend.

So here is what I thought of all of them

First off, let me be honest, I am glad the stars come out, when I go to cons it is mainly to meet other cosplayers and fans of the show. Stars are actors, that is their profession. When they are not acting, they are making money with autographs. Not a bad business deal. So in short, I can probably afford one or two autographs, unless I save up and buy in bulk. Conventions are getting EXPENSIVE for me. It is not that I can't afford them, just that the cost has gone up. So anyway (playing the world's smallest violin) on with the list...

Battlestar Galactica:
Anne Lockhart - Met in Houston and Dallas. Awesome lady. First time I saw her was actually in Irving. She brought out her coat from the series and it was amazing how skinny people were in the 70's. That coat looked like it was built for a 8 year old! She was laughing at how her grand kids could barely fit it. Next time I saw her I made mention of the coat which she denied ever bringing out. Interesting. I remembered once how someone corrected Michael Dorn about a convention he went to which he was convinced he wasn't. Yeh, the actors go to a billion places, we fans it is more few and far between, so maybe we're right, maybe they are. Best to just roll with it and move on. Times since there was interaction with her as honorary commander of the Battlestar Callisto, and she interacted with Blackstar Squadron (a cosplay Battlestar group, still active.)

Richard Hatch - Met in Houston, Dallas, and Oklahoma. Big fan of the show, which I realize in hind sight was a man also pitching opportunities for future gigs. Worked on landing him a job in the new Galactica, and while he admitted to liking the setup and what they were able to do with new Galactica more, (80's network really hampered the first show) he definitely liked first Galactica. Saw him probably six or seven times. Most it was like talking to an older brother, and a time or two it was "Hey, trying to make money here" as he would discretely clear his throat and point at a picture. The latter seems to happen at the smaller cons where traffic was sparce and paytrons were few. :P

Dirk Benedict - At Galacticon 3 he worked long hours and would be there long after other actors had gone. I liked to think it was dedication to the fans, but making more money doesn't hurt either. On the last day of Galacticon he sat back and smoked some cigars with friends of mine in the Blackstar Squadron.

Herb Jefferson, Jr. - I'm just going to be honest, I think this guy is totally flabergastered with anything Galactica after 40 years of dealing with this show. He liked talking about the Red Tails (black WW2 pilots) which I thought was awesome. I tried to mention that I got to meet the current Tuskegee Airmen (which were the other name for the Red Tails) while in Kuwait, was totally uninterested. He showed me pictures of the Red Tails and I said I really liked the Red Tails movie that my company (The Exchange), showed for free to the Tuskegee Airmen. The slightest mention of that movie got a quick response of "This has nothing to do with the Red Tails movie". Never could figure out what he didn't like about the movie, but got the feeling 1) he REALLY didn't like the Red Tails movie 2) He really didn't care about the legacy of the Tuskeegee Airmen or how that air group is still active after all these years. In the end "talking" to him was a bit one sided, so really became more like interacting with an interesting Red Tails website without a comment section or "contact us" link. :P Fair enough. Thanks for the pictures Herb, sorry you don't like the Red Tails movie. I had a blast watching it (though apparently to be fair many didn't and it was George Lucas' last big project before selling Star Wars and all production facilities).

Jack Stauffer - Great guy. Talked about how he enjoyed the show and would have loved to do more episodes. Posed for some pictures of playing pyramid with us in Blackstar Squadron.

John de Lancie - As I mentioned before, seemed to remember me, or that I was not there on the first day of an event. (and this was without approaching him, I was just there to help.) I'll take that as a compliment.

Terry Carter - Great guy. You know, now much older, he looks about the age Adama did back in the series. I joked that it didn't make sense that Apollo would take command of the Galacica, Tigh was Colonel afterall. Terry seemed to like this idea.

Noah Hathaway - All tatooed up, this guy is a fun trip. We talked for a few minutes, he posed for pictures with blackstar squad playing pyramid, I think we even got him to pose with a cigar. Now what would be a trip is this guy, current age, as a viper pilot. I would imagine he would be a nice combo of Apollo and Starbuck!

Sarah Rush - Saved the best for last. For years Richard said she was missing and no one knew how to find her. I mean many of us just thought she was as cute as a button on the show. And you know what, she is still cute as a button in real life. Seems she has been hitting conventions more and more lately and that is so good to see. We even see her on the Colonial Warrior forum on Facebook from time to time. Normally I try not talk to stars long, they got work to do, trying to make money, I respect that. But she had no urgency the one time I talked to her to send me on. Asked me how I was liking the con, got to talking about family, great stuff. In the end she said for me to give my wife a hug for her.

So there is my experience with the Galactica cast. Pretty cool. Oh, and I got to see a restored daggit from the original series as well. :P
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #37
Jubal
Warrior

BTW, I will add I was fortunate enough to be at a Tulsa convention in the 90's when Battlestar Galactica: Second Coming, was being shown by Richard Hatch. Seeing that for the first time was AMAZING. And seeing Richard that first time was not a disappointment. What I noticed about Richard, the more people that were at a con, the friendlier he got. I guess if he made what he was hoping to make he was like "Let's hang out". And if he was still earning it, he was a bit more dedicated to that. Just saying that as a qualifier.

So at this Tulsa convention of thousands of people, he was flying high. And even gave me an autographed notecard promoting his new Battlestar book series.

Cool guy.

And at Galacticon 3 he was an awesome supporter, announcer, and mover to the success of that con. But then he was kinda the bridge of the two Galactica shows and the glue that binds.
Old August 11th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #38
Jayworld
Warrior

Jubal:
Thanks for sharing all those great memories; keep us informed if there will be a Galacticon in Houston; I missed the last one, though I do live in Texas, so will try to make a more concerted effort. It has been so long since I've attended any type of Sci-Fi cons (at least 10 years), as they have gone from local shows (and quite good) in Plano for $10 admission, kids free, to moving to Irving and now Dallas with admission being $25 and up. They've just priced it out of my league now.

When I first saw "The Second Coming," Richard Hatch screened it for an overflow crowd of about 80+ at the Event Center in Plano along with Dirk Benedict and Herb Jefferson, with a Q&A prior to the screening. This was in 1999-2000 prior to the failed attempt by Singer/DeSanto to bring BG back, and there was lots of discussion concerning the series at that time, as the rumors (at that time) were that Benedict and Jefferson were going to be in the show. I was able to shoot about 30 minutes of video of the session at the time....
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #39
Jubal
Warrior

That would be fun to see all three of them together on stage if you could post that video somewhere.

Conventions have gotten nuts. Whatever happened to the free "Fandaze" (Fan Days)? I like to volunteer for cons now either helping vendors or something. Some cons are better at treating their help than others. Akon (Anime Convention) had a consuite with food and a place to rest, rooms for crashing etc. Galacticon when I asked about such things for volunteers said "Huh?" :P so it varies.