Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Lyra
Bad Email Address

Question Pyramid, anyone?

Does anyone actually know how the "Pyramid" game is played? And can you buy a set of this card game, like played on TOS BSG?
Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2
StarshipTrooper
Bad Email Address

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Admin
BattlestarGalacticaClub.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Hi,

According to Ron Moore, one plays Pyramid on a court by throwing a ball. Could have sworn that was called Triad?

I picked up a set of Pyramid cards (with instructions) at:

http://www.intergalactictrading.com/

It was about $25, but you may find it for a better price on eBay.

Regards,

Nathan
StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #3
spcglider
Squadron Leader

LOL!!!

Ron Moore? Pyramid? Triad?

That's like relying on Karl Rove to tell you the rules of Pokemon!

LOL!!

-Gordon
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipTrooper
Hi,

According to Ron Moore, one plays Pyramid on a court by throwing a ball. Could have sworn that was called Triad?
Oh this says so much! This speaks volumes, does it not?

anyway....

RULES CAN BE FOUND @

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_(game)
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #5
WarMachine
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena
Oh this says so much! This speaks volumes, does it not?

anyway....

RULES CAN BE FOUND @

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_(game)
Try this instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_%28game%29
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Lyra
Bad Email Address

Gee thankyou everyone for your help with my question!
Loved checking out all the links you provided!

Cheers all!
Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Toshiro
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Pyramid, anyone?

Hi there I am relatively new around here and would like to ask a few questions about the Pyramid card game. I know I am starting from an old thread, but I hope there may be someone who can answer.

First off I have both types of the deck of cards. I also have some small pyramid pc game that I found on the net, that allows single player. There is also a pyramid game for Vassal. ( on youtube ). I have seen a lot of versions for rules, but I have some questions about gameplay with the fanbased version that builds the pyramid levels.

Does anybody know or have an example of the ranks of hands. Perfect pyramid with capstone being the Top and then the rest going downward. My confusion would be the ranking with imperfect pyramids. ( no consistent colour in the levels ).

Toshiro
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #8
WarMachine
Warrior

Well, it appears that the Wiki page with the bulk of the generally-accepted rules has been deleted . There was exactly ONE entry at the Internet Archive, so I will attempt to post those rules next.....
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #9
WarMachine
Warrior

The Generally-Accepted Rules of Pyramid | Formerly at Wikipedia, recovered from the Internet Archive, format-edited by the Warmachine. Please note that all effort has been made to delete references here to the RDM version.

"Pyramid" is a dedicated-deck Card_game, based on a similar game played in the original ''Battlestar Galactica'' series.

The card game version has been compared to poker and is the primary off-duty leisure activity portrayed in the ''Battlestar Galactica'' (1978) television series. The rules of the game and details of the cards are never explicitly defined in the series, and have been expanded by card game manufacturers.

The Cards

* A ''Pyramid'' deck consists of 55 total cards, comprised of nine first-level cards of each of three colors, six second-level cards in each color, three third-level cards in each color, and one capstone card.

* Each card is in the shape of a regular Hexagon.

* The reverse of each card shows the card's color (suit) and level (rank). The edges of each card's reverse have a series of triangles in the card's color to indicate the card's rank.

* The Obverse of each card is marked with a dual-triangle design.

Card colors (suits)

A deck of Pyramid cards contains four colors. Three of these are card colors — purple, green, and orange — and a single card, the Capstone, is in black. The color of a Pyramid is only a determining factor when tying pyramids are "Perfect Pyramids" only. Otherwise, color does not factor into ranking of hands. Purple cards are ranked higher than green, which are in turn higher than orange.

Card levels (Ranks)

Cards are classified into three levels or ranks. Potentially winning hands require specific combinations of these card levels. Unlike in Poker, Pyramid does not have such a smorgasbord of possible winning hands. Though this may, prima facie, seem to make Pyramid an easier game, Pyramid is not as simple as it may appear and requires foresight, strategy and balancing risk with caution.

* "First Level Cards" are essentially blank on the inside with a trio of small equilateral triangles along each of the six edges. There are nine of these cards in each color in a standard Pyramid deck.

* "Second Level Cards" are have an outline of an equilateral triangle centered on the card with two small equilateral triangles along each of the six edges. There are six of these cards in each color in a standard Pyramid deck.

* "Third Level Cards" are have a solid equilateral triangle centered on the card with one small equilateral triangle along each of the six edges; on these cards, the triangles on the edges are twice as large as the small triangles on the first and second -level cards. There are three of these cards in each color in a standard Pyramid deck.

* The "Capstone Card" appears identical to third level cards, expect its color is black. The capstone is a wildcard and may be used in the formation of any level and color of pyramid. It is intrinsic to the penultimate Pyramid hand, the "Capstone Pyramid".

Game play

Order of play

Preparation

* As in most card games, the cards are shuffled thoroughly and cut before play. Cards are dealt from the dealer's immediate left and around the table, ending with the dealer. Each player is dealt six cards face-down. In the television series, hexagonal tables are used.

* Play begins with the person to the dealer's immediate left and continues to the left around the table. The dealer is the last person to play.

Discard

* After all players are dealt their cards, players may pick up their cards. They may move them around, place them on the table, or otherwise organize them so long as all cards are within view at all times. (Condensing the cards together is permissible, even though only one card is directly viewable.)

* Players may discard up to four of their cards, but are not required to discard any cards if they wish to do so.

Draw

* After all players have chosen their discards, they place them — in dealing order — on the discard pile and announce how many cards they are discarding. The dealer will then deal the same number of cards to the player so that each player, in turn, will again have six total cards. When all players have discarded and received replacement cards, the dealer will then draw.

Best Pyramid

* Upon receiving the replacement cards, players construct their best possible Pyramids. Around the table in the same order as the deal, players announce their hands and lay them out in the correct positioning. A player may elect to "fold" their hand at any time and forfeit any possibility of winning the hand; a folded hand is not required to be shown to other players.

Betting

* Bets are taken after the first deal and after the second deal. The first round of betting is done before any discards are announced and the second round is done before any player announces their hand. Betting begins with the player to the dealer's left and continues in the same order as the deal.

* Some games may impose limits on bets, such as a maximum bet or maximum raise, or disallowing bets which cannot be matched by all players.

* Betting on a hand ends when the same bet is reached around the table, as in Poker.

Winning

* The winner in a hand of Pyramid is determined by the size of their Pyramids. There are three levels of Pyramids (first, second, and third), two types of pyramids (perfect and non-perfect), and one special pyramid (the Capstone Pyramid).

* Non-perfect pyramids are not ranked by color. When two non-perfect pyramids are shown at the same level and no other player can best them, the two with the tying pyramids show their best remaining card (first level is best, third level is worst) to determine the winner. If still a tie, repeat the process to the exhaustion of remaining cards in one's hand. If still tied (not particularly likely), the tying players play a second hand alone to determine a winner.

* When two perfect pyramids are played on the same hand, the one in the greater color wins. In the case of color-matched perfect pyramids, the high card not part of the pyramid determines the winner.

Strategy

* One of the most commonly-encountered risk decisions surfaces when initially dealt a hand consisting of one third level card, two second level cards, one first level card and two other second or first level cards. In this instance, the player has basically two options:

** She may discard only the two extra cards, hoping to receive at least one third level card (to create a first level pyramid, a weak hand) or receive two third level cards to complete the first level pyramid (a strong hand).

** Alternatively, she may decide to discard both extra cards and the first level card in order to increase the odds of receiving two third level cards, which would then give a second level pyramid, a hand stronger than the first level pyramid in the first option and weaker - though much more likely - than the first level pyramid that is possible, though not likely, above.

Variations

Many variations of the basic Pyramid card game exist. These include variations without the discarding of cards, dealing cards face-up, discarding cards twice, and dealing more than six cards (usually eight cards, but not always).

With a standard deck

If a deck of Pyramid cards is not available, one may be improvised using three decks of standard playing cards, using the following:

* The aces of hearts, clubs, and diamonds from all three decks. These will take the place of the First Level cards. They are easy to recognize by their usually distinctive face and large letter "A" on the top-left and bottom-right corners.

* The king and queen of hearts, clubs, and diamonds from all three decks. These will take the place of Second Level Cards. They are easy to recognize during Pyramid play as "face cards."

* The two, three, and four of hearts, clubs, and diamonds from all three decks. These will take the place of Third Level Cards. They are easy to recognize during Pyramid play because of their small number and minimal design.

* The ace of spades from only one deck. This card will take the place of the Capstone Card. This card is very easily recognizable as most Earth-based playing card manufacturers highly embellish this card.

*In this improvised deck, purple is replaced by hearts, green is replaced by clubs, and orange is replaced by diamonds for purposes of color-ranking hands.

Other games played with a Pyramid deck

Kobolian Solitaire

* A game played with a standard deck of Pyramid cards, its goal is to form perfect pyramids much in the same way as the Earth card game solitaire with some significant modifications. It is named for the planet Kobol, from which the Lords_of_Kobol fled to form the Twelve_Colonies in the television series.

Tauron Hold-Em

* Named for the colony Tauron in the television series, ''Tauron Hold-Em'' is a variation of Pyramid where all players share a set of cards dealt face-up at the center of the playing surface and combine them with cards dealt face-down to each individual.

Pyramid Rummy

* Played with a standard Pyramid deck, ''Pyramid Rummy'' is a game using the same concepts of pyramid-building as the original Pyramid game but works without the draw, betting between draws, and a single hand rarely determines a winner. It is played to a preset point total and games can last many hands. With larger groups, two or sometimes even three Pyramid card decks may be combined.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I may be wrong, but IIRC in TMW9L when chameleon asked for a card from the dealer he said "build me" which would be like "hit me" or "draw". Also when he was satisfied with his hand he said "I'll hover with that".
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Toshiro
Bad Email Address

HI
Thanks WarMachine for posting. Although I am still confused regarding 2 imperfect pyramids. The rules indicate to " show your best remaining card " to break the tie.
What does this mean? If you have an imperfect 3level pyramid what remaining cards are
the rules refering to?
I would like to know If all perfect levels beat out over imperfect. ?? How about an imperfect 3 level VS a 1 level perfect??

I also liked TMW9L. It would seem that the game revealed that the first reproduced deck of cards wouldn't work. There are too many Aces showing.

Does anybody play pyramid with the Vassal engine?

Thanks for any help
Toshiro
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #12
gmd3d
Major

Welcome aboard Toshiro

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I have to different decks of cards right now. the first set I got, is played exactly as described in warmachine's post. I got theser cards from another member here, so I don't know where they officially came from.

The second set, that you can get from battlestargalactica.org and katarra on ebay, is set up closer to a standard deck of cards. they are numbered using the mayan numbering system of dots (1 dont = 1) and lines (1 line = 5) This deck has 1 thought 13 and an ace type card. instead of 4 suits ther are 4 colors for each number. This allows you to play standard games of poker, or any other card game. limiting the learnng curve.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #14
monolith21
Squadron Leader

http://www.intergalactictrading.com/...m?pid=BGMI03/F

Are these the ones?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Those look like the cards that fit Warmachine's rules, yes.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #16
Toshiro
Bad Email Address

Hi

In my searching for pyramid card rules I stumbled upon a pdf with those cards
ready for printing. If you have the printer you can make your own.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QM0PGMWR

Toshiro

BTW anybody have an answer regarding imperfect pyramid ties?
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #17
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I wish I knew! I'll see what I can find.

On a side note, Blackstar Squadron and The Cylon Empire are having a big get together at Comic Con International this July and we're hoping to have a round or two of Pyramid. I hope some of you can make it!

I'm working on building up my cubit collection to make the pot a bit more authentic.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #18
Toshiro
Bad Email Address

Hi

Played several rounds of Pyramid with my son and wife. Noticed it was easy to actually get dealt a 3 level (imperfect) right from the start. Or even get it after the discard round.
It seemed more unlikely to get the perfect levels. I am not a math guy so I wouldn't know the real odds. So the rules we play with are, perfect levels beat out any imperfect levels.
The dealer beats the tie with imperfect pyramids ( as in BlackJack ). With a tie between other players you can go by the order from the dealer clockwise. Or even revert to who has the highest suit card.
BTW the file I had for download, didn't work on my printer. As the pdf file had margins wider than my printer set margins. The Adobe version I have doesn't allow to alter them as maybe as MicrosoftWord would. I am not knowlegeable in printing. Maybe someone else would know.
Toshiro
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #19
WarMachine
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
Hi...[snip]...BTW the file I had for download, didn't work on my printer. As the pdf file had margins wider than my printer set margins. The Adobe version I have doesn't allow to alter them as maybe as MicrosoftWord would. I am not knowlegeable in printing. Maybe someone else would know.
Toshiro
Short of tinkering with your printer settings, you might try just to use the Adobe camera tool to copy each image into something like MS Paint or MS Word, and print from there.....
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Toshiro
Bad Email Address

Ok I figured it out. I can set my printer to print as image, and size to paper. It worked, both sides of cards match.
Reason is, to print these off myself, I would go to a local printing place to get them on 100lb card stock and maybe get them laminated. They said I could do it, but I would need a hard copy. I am sure there must be places that can take the file and do it for you. But by then you might just order them. The ones I ordered are smaller than the Universal studios reproductions. When my current ones are worn out I will print my own.

Toshiro
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #21
WarMachine
Warrior

As an FYI, since Megaupload is dead as a doornail, see this link to download:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40...nd-rules-v-1-0