Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 27th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Question DVD recorders & BG

I was thinking of buying one to transfer my Galactica 1980 vhs episodes to the digital format. Anybody have one? What is the best make (Panasonic, Sanyo, ect.) I taped all of the G-1980 episode in EP on my Sony vcr. What speed would you recommend for transfering them at when I buy a DVD recorder?
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Kingfish!

I got a DVD recorder with my new computer (most come with one nowadays). They sell for as little as $99 for the drive bay version. Then you just get a simple video/audio in device for your PC (one with both composite and s-video preferably), and away you go! I found a nice one for only $50, I forget the brand, but will post it when I get my stuff this Tuesday. The advantage of a PC recorder over a standalone is the special effects and editing capabilities, plus it's a whole lot cheaper!

I put our wedding VHS onto DVD and it came out really nice. There are some great DVD editing programs out there. You will be best off getting a multi-format DVD recorder (DVD +- R/W), although despite warnings that some formats like DVD +R will not work in many players, I have found that just about any DVD player nowadays will play any format.

Anybody else wanna chime in? Hope this helps!!
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Paul, I don't know, you might have to sacrifice a blank DVD till you figure out the speed. I'd try EP or LP first like the original recording.

My episodes were recorded in standard format so that's what I transferred them as (SP), that gets you two episodes on a disk. The versions of The Super Scouts and The Night The Cylons Landed over here were broadcast as just one extended episode (which is nice) and with no annoying station idents in the corner.

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #4
Megoman
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
I was thinking of buying one to transfer my Galactica 1980 vhs episodes to the digital format. Anybody have one? What is the best make (Panasonic, Sanyo, ect.) I taped all of the G-1980 episode in EP on my Sony vcr. What speed would you recommend for transfering them at when I buy a DVD recorder?

My understanding is that that 1 hour speed equals Hi-Definintion quality, 2 hours equals DVD quality, and the 6 hour speed equals VHS quality. That's what I've been told. I've yet to buy a recorder myself. Hopefully here in another couple of weeks. I have quite a large collection of TV shows and so on I'd like to get transferred to DVD-R before the tapes are toast. I guess it's similar to recording with VHS, SP is always better quality than LP or EP. Depends on how many discs or cassettes you plan on using. Not to mention shelf space. Quality is better than quanity in my opinion.
Megoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:28 PM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Paul, I don't know, you might have to sacrifice a blank DVD till you figure out the speed. I'd try EP or LP first like the original recording.
Sacrifice nothing? all you need is a Re-writable blank DVD disc is all. Write and re-write over and over all you want. Especially if you need to practice. That way you'll figure out DVD+R and DVD-R and both + & - RW too.

Quote:
I have quite a large collection of TV shows and so on I'd like to get transferred to DVD-R before the tapes are toast.
Fret not Megoman. Tapes do erode but do so after constantly being playing over and over every so often. Less you play'em and store them in a good clean place. They'll erode slower. i've got tapes close to 15 to 20 years old, they still play alright with less quality, but aren't a total wash out even after all these years.

KJ
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Sacrifice nothing? all you need is a Re-writable blank DVD disc is all. Write and re-write over and over all you want. Especially if you need to practice. That way you'll figure out DVD+R and DVD-R and both + & - RW too.

Fret not Megoman. Tapes do erode but do so after constantly being playing over and over every so often. Less you play'em and store them in a good clean place. They'll erode slower. i've got tapes close to 15 to 20 years old, they still play alright with less quality, but aren't a total wash out even after all these years.

KJ

Kudos Jason.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Whoa... ...you are even confusing me. The VHS or BETA tape will only run/playback at the speed that it was originally recorded with. Now if the question is what speed to burn a copy at, then the answer is "it depends". If you have a relatively pristine recording, say you decided to record on tape at sp to retain the highest quality picture, then burn a DVD at the slowest burn speed. The slower the burn speed generally means that you are trying to eliminate any possible errors from occuring and want the highest possible copy. BUT with "burn proof" technology being incorporated in most DVD recorders, many past concerns have been relatively eliminated. The best way would be to record one or the same program at different burn speeds to see if there are noticible differences (video and/or audio) and then make a decision. Some DVD recorders, even if they are the same make and model, may show differences at different burn speeds.

The Sci-Fi channel plans to air the entire BSG:1980 series on one of their daytime rotations, believe on Friday Jan 14 but check your local listings, so you can set/plan to record it directly on your DVD recorder or PC and have the best possible copy of the series. Of course by recording the series into your PC, either from a DVD or directly, you can then edit out all the commercials, add or create chapters, and then burn a copy. But that takes a bit more work and you may want to do some screen captures to display in your chapter menu. However, your original tape "MAY" be more complete than what the Sci-Fi Channel plans to air. You would need to record and then compare the two "versions" and then make a decision whether or not to make/burn a copy of your original tape recordings. Video tapes really degrade fast over time when compared to other recording mediums, so picture quality really suffers or has degraded from when it was originally recorded. Universal should have included BSG:1980 with the boxed set or maybe they plan to release it to DVD in the future.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote