Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:48 PM   #1
The Rain
Bad Email Address

Default Random thought that occured to me

Remember the count down to the FTL jump to Ragnor station?

As I was listening to the count down it occured to me that the seconds seemed longer than a normal second. So then I thought, OK these are centons. Cool, we never knew how long a centon really was! They're about 2 1/2 seconds each. But we never heard the term centons in the mini. (OK, I guess I did miss some things from the original)

Anyway, I just thought I'd point it out cuz I'm watching part two again.

Is this good discussion fodder? Cuz I dunno. :confused: Maybe I've had too many beers...

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:43 PM   #2
Spike The Cylon
Captain

I never noticed the seconds were longer. did thet call them seconds? I know they said hours and days and years, but I don't remember them saying seconds. I'll have to rewatch it.
It'll be cool if they say centons in a series/or sequel.

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Spike The Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:33 AM   #3
The Rain
Bad Email Address

They oughta tweak that lil part, just for ol time's sake. It IS just TV for Christ's sake!
The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 04:34 AM   #4
beeker
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Random thought that occured to me

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rain
Remember the count down to the FTL jump to Ragnor station?

As I was listening to the count down it occured to me that the seconds seemed longer than a normal second. So then I thought, OK these are centons. Cool, we never knew how long a centon really was! They're about 2 1/2 seconds each. But we never heard the term centons in the mini. (OK, I guess I did miss some things from the original)

Anyway, I just thought I'd point it out cuz I'm watching part two again.

Is this good discussion fodder? Cuz I dunno. :confused: Maybe I've had too many beers...

Its a TV thing . Whenever a TV or movie plot has a end of the world countdown (usually for a bomb) it always takes longer in real time than what the countdown is. I've seen one minute countdowns literally take five (or more) minutes not including commercials.

It's just a dramatic thing.
beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:41 AM   #5
CrysWimmer

Default Time measurement/Galactican slang

I'll be honest, I actually like that they got rid of some of the unusual language. I never did figure out sectons, centons, mili-centons, sectars and such - it didn't seem to be consistent. I tried to generate a chart, but that just seemed to confuse me further.

I also noticed that "felgercarb" was gone <not gonna miss that one> but "frak" was present and accounted for - and still Starbuck's favorite word. Come to think of it, I hear that one a lot in the real world, so maybe that's why they went ahead and kept it.

I think the reason they left it out was to prevent dating the series. Looking back, some of the language that I thought was so cool when I was 8 just seems kinda silly now. Maybe that's just me. The mini seemed to be directed at a more adult audience, which works for me now. My 8 year old was NOT impressed - thought it was very boring. I gotta work on that kid.

-Crys-
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:06 AM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Show the 8 yr. old the original, might be more their speed. (sexy robots don't usually float an 8 yr. old's boat, for example. Tin cans flying clamshells on the other hand..... )

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #7
Dogface

Default Re: Time measurement/Galactican slang

Quote:
Originally posted by CrysWimmer
I also noticed that "felgercarb" was gone <not gonna miss that one> but "frak" was present and accounted for
"Frak" sounds vaguely obscene in English. "Felgergarb" sounds like "fiddle-dee-dee"--something a maiden aunt would exclaim. English expletives have always been Germanic, short, and to the point.
Old January 5th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #8
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

according to the script ...........there were seconds, years,
days ........not sectons, centons, or Yearhrons ......
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #9
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Damn metric system.
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:02 PM   #10
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Random thought that occured to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley View Post
Damn metric system.
And all the Lords of Kobol said "AMEN!!!!!!!!"
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote