Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > Costuming Guild
Notices
Costuming Guild For the costuming

Old March 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #1
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Warrior Boots

Andy (Clanger) was asking me about the boots I painted up a while back so I figured I'd post some stuff about it here for anyone else who is working on their boots for their uniforms (come on people we need to get a whole slew of us together on this!)

Now first up, let me say this. I know I won't personally be happy until I have a uniform that is as spot on as it can be. This means that though I have painted up some boots and I think they look almost dead on, I am still planning on sending my best pair off to have them painted by Chris (www.kobol.com) so they match the screen used Sidi Full Bores.

That said, this is what I've done. The color debate for the boots has been going on for longer than it should if you ask me. Some people swear they are black, others swear they are brown.

For a long time it seemed like everyone "in the know" stuck with the "medium brown" color for the boots. This just seemed a bit off to me so I did a side by side of the medium brown with some other colors. The ones that struck me as closest to what was on screen was Cordovan.

The dye I used was "Meletonian Nu Life". Cordovan 636
http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/M...ray_p/1003.htm

The Cordovan looks black under certain light, it looks brown in direct light, and has the almost reddish brown look in other lighting. To me that covers all the bases and all the arguments.

Take into consideration that the toe plate is masked in these pictures. I guess they weren't masked during the painting of the screen used boots (same with the cam style buckles on the side), but I dug the look of the silver so I masked 'em.

Cordovan on the Left, Medium Brown on the right.

Now to show the difference of how they look in different lighting...both of these pictures are of the Cordovan colored boots.

Quite the difference!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #2
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Warrior Boots

Now for some resources. Just in case you have no idea what kind of boots the warriors wore on Battlestar and haven't found this little gem as of yet...here ya go!

http://www.classicboots.com/moto/fullbore.htm

If you're having trouble tracking down a pair of full bores on ebay or the like, you can always go with the new Sidi Joel Roberts replicas.

http://www.bikersbuyit.com/Shops/bbieurope/index1.html

Just know that they are not entirely accurate. They are however VERY close. A die hard costumer with an eye for details will tell you that there are some major differences, but they have the overall look and they are available...in a variety of sizes.

What are the differences? Well, the replicas only have 6 buckles to the originals 7 and the buckles themselves are a bit off in design. They've been upgraded to be sturdier for riding. If you can live with that, these make great warrior boots! There was a decent thread about this over at ASAP (A site about props) a few years back.
http://www.propreplicas.yuku.com/rep...1#reply-166821

If you are lucky enough to find the originals the chances are they will not be in your size. If they are, I am full of angry towards you for being luckier than I was first go around. You might consider ordering a size, possibly two larger than your normal shoe size. These boots tend to run small and if you have large Popeye calves like me you are going to need a to size up.

Also, the Sidi Full bores come with either smooth soles or with tread. The smooth soles are the correct version if you're going for accuracy. The treaded ones make for....well...better traction if you're worried about that sort of thing.

In your pilgrimage to find the perfect warrior boots you may have come across this site:
http://www.motorcowboy.com/category/...galacticaboot/

Not bad boots, but not very accurate at all. For the price, you'd be better going with the Joel Roberts replicas. However, the motor cowboy boots are custom made to your measurements. If you need a custom fit these might be a good choice.

Now, last ditch effort. You've got your uniform but you have not been able to find the full bores. If we go out on a limb and use "Fire in Space" as a justification, you can see all sorts of warriors in regular black boots. Some look like modified Engineer boots. They're not quite as tall as riding boots.

You could get away with wearing these.
http://easterncoastcostume.com/Pages...ots/boot01.htm

Not even in the realm of screen accurate, but passable. They might make good dress uniform boots though!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #3
clanger
Shuttle Pilot

Wow, what great information and pics.

That is really, really useful.

I was initially leaning towards dyeing my boots, even though the SU ones were painted, as I was afraid that the painted surface would scratch too easily.

After a little research it seemed that dyeing black boots to a brown would be almost impossible.

Thankfully Mark put me in the direction of the 'Meletonian Nu Life' sounds like a great product and I think it's the route I'm going to take.

Cheers for the heads up Mark!

I would love to send my boots to Chris to paint but postage makes it too expensive.

I already paid well over $100 to get them from the US to the UK, so two more postings would make them a very costly pair of boots!

I think I'm going to mask off the buckles and the toe cap as I like that look as well.

Mine aren't the exact type of Sidi's as teh SU ones, mine are the version before.

They have the flat buckles, but not the 'roller' type, they have a tread and they don't have the front name plate on the shin.

From lookinng at the screen it looks like this version was used by some of the Warriors.

Can anyone confirm that?

I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Thanks again to Mark for the great info.

Cheers,

Andy
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #4
clanger
Shuttle Pilot

Oh yeah, cheers guys for my tag line under my user-name!

'just lost my cherry' indeed!!!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Thanks for the info Mark. I have the Joel Roberts replicas. They aren't 100% screen accurate, but they work for me. I plan to use your suggestion for painting/dying them instead of sending them out...I'm cheap and all for DIY.
Mieal Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #6
clanger
Shuttle Pilot

I'm almost ready to take the plunge and paint my boots.

I was struggling to find a supplier of the spray dye in this country, the UK.

Mark (Monolith) thought he remembered that there was something available, and he was right!

http://www.foothealthcare.com/html/p...iles/magix.htm

I assume this is the same stuff just with a different name, it seems to have the same properties.

I have some on order, I'll post pics when I'm done.............yikes!!

Cheers,

Andy
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

For my boots, at least for now, I'm going to be trying to have a pair of more modern (but close to the Full Bore design) Motocross boots.

The boots currently have 4 plastic rocker buckles. I'm going to send them to a friend of mine that does leather work and have him remove the buckles and then add 6 or 7 straps to secure the boots. The buckles won't be the correct ones, but close to the repro center bar ones.

Afte that, My friend will either paint the boots, or I'll look into having the finish stripped off the boots (probably before sending them for conversion) If I have them stripped, they will be dyed brown instead.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Big Grin Re: Warrior Boots

Hello everyone....new to these boards and just starting my adventure in getting my own warrior uniform for Dragon Con this year. I just purchased a pair of the Joel Roberts replicas and the paint to mod them once they arrive. I am wondering if there is a tutorial out there 1. to safely and properly remove the SIDI nameplate from the top of the boot without ruining the leather, and 2. how to actually paint the poots without ruining the plates and buckles (and boots for that matter). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Bouri-Plwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouri-Plwel View Post
Hello everyone....new to these boards and just starting my adventure in getting my own warrior uniform for Dragon Con this year. I just purchased a pair of the Joel Roberts replicas and the paint to mod them once they arrive. I am wondering if there is a tutorial out there 1. to safely and properly remove the SIDI nameplate from the top of the boot without ruining the leather, and 2. how to actually paint the poots without ruining the plates and buckles (and boots for that matter). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
B-P -

I'm not so sure that painting the boots is the best way to change the color. If the replicas (I just found out about those last night) are made of leather like the original Full Bore boots, then using a leather dye might be a better way to go. I used leather dye once on a pair of boots a number of years ago. I found the boots I wanted, but they were brown instead of black. I dyed them black and they came out great - the dye didn't crack or peel over time like painting the boots might. If you use paint instead of dye, the paint needs to be able to have some flexibility to it, or it will crack when the leather bends, leaving the original black color showing through.

As far as the Sidi nameplate on the boots, most of the pics of the boots used in BSG seem to have the nameplate still in place, but color matched to the rest of the boot. I would imagine that removing the nameplates, which are fixed to the boots with pop rivets would either damage the boot, or leave you with 4 holes in the boot and no way to cover them up.

From what I've seen, those replicas are expensive...so you need to make sure what you're going to do in terms of changing the color will work. Once you start the process, there's no going back to undo it.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

As I understand it, Making boots darker (brown to black) is alot easier then going from black to brown. The only way I've heard of redying the boots is to strip the finish off the boots in question and then redying the color you want.

A shoe cobbler, or a REAL good shoe store, should be able to do this for you. Not sure what the cost would be, but you're right, the dyed finish would be alot more durable then painting the boots.

Now, for the record, no one shold think that saying we are "painting the boots" means that we are using spray paint or something of the sort. The paint we are talking about is Leather paint. Specifically made for leather products. The screen used boots were painted, according to Chris Pappas.

Before I actually ship my boots off to be mod'd, I'm going to check a shoe repair place in my parent's town to see if they would strip the dye from the boots I have. Like I said, they are going to fall in the catagory of "close enough" for me. but I would rather they get dyed then painted.

As for removing the name plate, if you go that way, the only way I know of to remove the pop rivits would be to drill them out. Take a drill and a metal bit then drill into one side (I'd recommend the inside fo the boot) you should be able to cut the rivet enough that it breaks off. But Gemini is correct you will be left with 4 holes in the boots.

If you do go the painting route, the plates that should be left on should be covered with masking tape so you can keep them from being painted. I would also tape off the sole as well. This will keep any drips from showing on the soles.

Old April 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Well at this point I only really have two options....pay $280 for the SIDI Joel Roberts and re-finish them (most accurate I am going to find for my big size 12.5 foot), or pay $450 for the Motorcowboy replicas completely built to my size. Either way I want a good looking quality boot that will last and do the costume justice. You all have the experience here so I am open to your council and advice.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #12
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Well at this point I only really have two options....pay $280 for the SIDI Joel Roberts and re-finish them (most accurate I am going to find for my big size 12.5 foot), or pay $450 for the Motorcowboy replicas completely built to my size. Either way I want a good looking quality boot that will last and do the costume justice. You all have the experience here so I am open to your council and advice.

I have the same problem as you do, I'd need a size 13 or 14 boot for my feet (I'm guessing a 1 to 2 size upgrade here)

If you have the money, I'd say go for the Repros. And with them, It's be painting the boots. As far as how to paint them, I can't tell you. I've never done it.

If you have a shoe repair place near you (the afor mentioned cobbler) Head over and talk to them, get a price quote on them painting it, see if they have the paint for sale, and see if they have any suggestions if you do it yourself.

As I said, you're 2 options on the name plate are painting over it, or removing it. If you can live with the 4 holes in the boot, then go that way. If not, paint the plate.

Personally, I'd remove the plate. To me, I think it'll look better without the plate, and the 4 holes woulldn't be that noticable in my opinion.

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks...I think I am leaning towards just doing that.....I have until August/September to get this done..plenty of time.....I think I would rather have the SIDI boots vs. the Motorcowboy...not only because they are cheaper, but more accurate and true to the originals
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Thanks...I think I am leaning towards just doing that.....I have until August/September to get this done..plenty of time.....I think I would rather have the SIDI boots vs. the Motorcowboy...not only because they are cheaper, but more accurate and true to the originals

I definately look forward to seeing your completed costume!!!

Have you done anything else for your costume? Blaster, gunbelt? How about the actual costume?

Inquiring minds want to know

Old April 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
B-W -

I agree with you on the choice of the repros. For one, they cost less and the other, well...they are more accurate as you pointed out. The Motorcowboy version does look quite similar to the original, but uses a standard buckle style that was not used in the series - I found out that the earliest version of the Full Bore looked like that. The ones used in the series had the aluminum clasp buckle which had a more futuristic look to them, which makes them very unique.

If you prowl eBay on a regular basis, original manufacture boots can be found in various states of repair. I've even seen them auctioned under the most insignificant names, so sometimes, it takes a bit of dilligence to find them when auctioned.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #16
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I definately look forward to seeing your completed costume!!!

Have you done anything else for your costume? Blaster, gunbelt? How about the actual costume?

Inquiring minds want to know
All i have at this point is the blaster. I will soon have a pair of boots, and Charybdis hooked me up with a supplier for a costume
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
All i have at this point is the blaster. I will soon have a pair of boots, and Charybdis hooked me up with a supplier for a costume
Very cool, If you'r elooking for the gunbelt to go with the laser, see this thread - http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=16731

I tried to put it all together for people

Old April 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #18
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

I am actually ordering everything for my uniform and belts off of www.batlestargalactica.org

Is that a good source?
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #19
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
I am actually ordering everything for my uniform and belts off of www.batlestargalactica.org

Is that a good source?
I have the gunbelt from them, the biggest problem with it, and probably the only one is the gunbelt shouldn't be blue, but asteel grey. I replaced the blue belt with a black one I got seperately.

The blue belt, I currently sent out to monolith to use in his dying experiments I have a sparer holster and recharge cylinders ready to make it a sparer gunbelt.

But I can tell you I love the holster and cylinder casts on the
BSG.org set. As for the costumes there, I'm about to order a jacket from there.

Old April 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #20
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Well I guess it will work for me until I can find something else....then have a spare like you.
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #21
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Well I guess it will work for me until I can find something else....then have a spare like you.
If Monolith comes up with the correct dye combination, No spare, just need to dye it right and you'll have a great gunbelt Either that, or dye it black

when my spare comes back, I'm probably going to set it up as a lefty holster. In case I ever want to head out looking like Starbuck and Apollo from Hand of God, A laser on each hip! Can't go wrong with that. lol

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #22
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Well I ordered the Joel Robert SIDI boots and will refinish them....cost me $280 brand new in the box plus shipping from Australia. I think I have procured the hardest piece of the cotume....everything else should be much easier
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #23
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm tackling some of that belt dying tonight!

As for the boots, I dig the Joel Roberts. Of course I wish they had the extra buckle and didn't have that big base plate for the buckles, but other than that they are spot on! They look great painted up as well. Finding the full bores isn't really that hard, its just the size issue. The basic rules is go up at least one size, possibly two. If you wear a larger size that can be a real pain! Anything smaller than an 8 and it is equally hard to track them down.

They don't look bad with the name plate on there. I'm leaving all of mine on but it comes down to personal preference.

When you get ready to paint the boots you need to make a few decisions. Apparently The screen boots were painted as is, nothing masked. So the silver parts were painted over oddly enough on a lot of the boots. With the pair pictured above I masked the flap part of the cam buckles, the top plate, and the toe plates.

For the cam flaps I just folded a piece of masking tape and passed it through the bottom and then wrapped tape around the buckle. Whatever works. I think you'll be happy with the Joel Roberts! They look better than the motorcowboy boots. Oh and definitely use the spray dye like Bryan and Ed were saying! Other than that you've gotten one of the harder pieces to find when it comes to this uniform!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #24
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Well it is all thanks to Col. Charybdis....he is the one that actually found them for me while helping search for some resources for costume pieces and let me know about it right away.....in my size and one pair left...so I jumped on it......I just hope I don't "F" them up when I piant them.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #25
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I don't think you'll screw 'em up. The only thing I'd be worried about is masking the buckles if that is something you want to do. I think you'll want to color the base of the buckles. The dye should work alright but it will probably wear off eventually in bits.

Some variations I have seen on the painting are leaving the top spongy section black and the soles black as well, only leaving the soles black, or just painting the whole boot. Most I have seen have masked the buckles, toe plate, and in step plate.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #26
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Rick, post some pics unpainted when you get the boots...and glad I could help. I'm glad I even stumbled across that pair...good thing you were able to get them. As others have said, the boots are the hardest part to get. Everything from here on out will be smooth sailing!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #27
Bouri-Plwel
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks all for your help.....The costume is pretty much completed now and I have lots of pics of the boots and coatume on the Blackstar Squadron site....thos site says I don't have permissions to post pictures and won't let me....juat a few things to finish up then it is on to the Viper helmet!!!!!
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #28
jojatk
Just Lost My Cherry!

I'm going to be studying this thread and have just registered for the Blackstar Squadron because I just won an auction for a pair of boots I think are just right. They are the Sidi Full Bore with 7 straps and are just a size bigger than I normally wear and they were actually pretty inexpensive compared to what I thought I was going to have to pay.

FYI, in case anyone is trying to find boots on eBay that are close or exact I would recommend setting up a few saved searches for yourself in eBay. It is pretty easy once you know how to do it. All you do is go to eBay and type in a search term such as "Sidi Full Bore" and click on the "Search" button. Whether to search returns zero or more results doesn't matter. Where you see the number of results returned for your search (and I mean the actual digits that tell you how many, not the list of returned results) you should see just to the right of that a link that says "Save this search." Just click on that and fill out the dialog box that pops up. I created a few saved searches:

"Sidi Full Bore"
"Battlestar Galactica boots"
"Battlestar galactica costume"
"Battlestar galactica uniform"
"vtg motocross boots"
"full bore"
"joel robert"
"sidi joel robert"
"vtg boots buckle" (this one takes more work to wade through so I didn't save this search but rather just did this one periodically on my own and waded through the results and found some good options)
"vtg boots" (similar to the above but even more work)

I discovered along the way that there are some other boots that seem to look pretty similar such as some made by hondaline (Honda's accessory division years back) and that's why I put in the search for vintage motocross boots. I was surprised at how many results I got that looked close enough that I was tempted to bid on them but thankfully I wanted to wait for a while longer to see if I could get the exact ones since I had quite a while before I want my costume to be ready. Another pair that I found to be CLOSE were some Munari Norstar boots. They aren't the right color without some serious dye work but they have the approximate look and have 7 buckles. I hope this information helps someone. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post it but I figured that sharing too much is better than not sharing at all (and I'm new to Colonial Fleets so please forgive me if I've breached protocol).
jojatk is offline   Reply With Quote