Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old September 1st, 2003, 04:02 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 G80-05: Space Croppers

Series stars: Lorne Greene, Kent McCord, Bary Van Dyke, Robyn Douglass, Richard Lynch, Robbie Rist, Richard Eastman, Vernan Weddle, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Patrick Stuart, Allan Miller

Guest stars: Dana Elcare, Ana Alicia, Anna Navarro, Bill Cort, Bill McKenny, Ned Romero

Hoping to force the Galacticans to lead them to Earth, the Cylons attack the agro ships, depriving the space-bound humans of their food. Troy and Dillon are then sent on a mission to establish a colony to provide them food for the Galactica. They find a farm on the edge of bankruptcy because of a man who has dammed up the creek that feeds it. The man, a rich, prejudiced, bully, sets out to stop them from making a profit. One of his men set their seed on fire And when they demand retubution, he gives it, and then offers them a ride on his bronco. They further anger him when they tame the horse, and win him and the $1000.00 prize that goes with him, and he cuts off what little water he has been allowing. Dr. Zee assures them they will have plenty of water, so long as they get everything planted by the end of that day..They enlist the help of the Galactican scouts to get the fields planted, and Dr. Zee assembles a group of agro experts who will aid in the planting and become colonists on Earth to continue taking care of the crops, while their arrival causes rain to water the crops. The bully is dealt with when he reveals what he oversaw on the night of the planting to local officials, discrediting himself to the valley residents, and losing the approval of the water “rationing” he has been carrying out, freeing the water for future use by everyone.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #2
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

This episode I missed.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #3
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Question ana alica looks great

only other female to make the jump to 1980 can you tell who other one is wish it had been rigel hint look in other posts
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:34 AM   #4
Senmut
Strike Leader

I missed this one, so I cannot comment.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
I missed this one, so I cannot comment.
Lucky you.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

I wish I had seen it, simply so I could comment. I remember the promos, but that's all. Anyway, it's gotta beat that remake thing.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:07 AM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It's a lot easier to just say that the remake and episodes like this are equally bad in their own way.

The worst moments of this episode include the stupid new voice of the Imperious Leader (done to cannibalized footage from Saga), and then the idiotic singing bit near the end.
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:17 AM   #8
Senmut
Strike Leader

Is a script of it posted on-line, anywhere?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

Well?
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #10
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I believe that Dennis Haysbert did the voice of IL for the episode and was credited as The Creature. The episode starts with a bang but fizzles quickly.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

My Take:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlesta...?showtopic=439
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #12
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Haysbert the saintly Presidential candidate who practically acted like an Imperious Leader in "24"? Strange bit of appropriate symmetry if that's who it was!
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:47 AM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I believe that this is the same Dennis Haysbert from Buck Rogers season 2.

Old October 26th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #14
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Yep, that's "24's" president.
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:20 AM   #15
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Dennis Haysbert actually plays one of the pilots of the D Squadron. I'm guessing, but I've got an inkling that a guy called Walker Edminston does the voice of the IL in this episode.

This is my favourite episode of Galactica 1980.

Peter
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:29 AM   #16
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Dennis Haysbert actually plays one of the pilots of the D Squadron. I'm guessing, but I've got an inkling that a guy called Walker Edminston does the voice of the IL in this episode.

This is my favourite episode of Galactica 1980.

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter. Dennis played Kip then a member of D squadron. He and Dillon were also friends. Dillon mentions that Kip drew the USSR assignment in the pilot G-1980.
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #17
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If Haysbert played Kip, then Dr. Zee sure didn't realize that assigning him to the USSR wouldn't exactly allow him to blend in with the masses!
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #18
Senmut
Strike Leader

How do you say "Siberia" in Colonial???
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Aphrodite
Socialator

Default Re: G80-05: Space Croppers

Does anyone know the words to the song that the kids sing in this episode?

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #20
Sarika
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite View Post
Does anyone know the words to the song that the kids sing in this episode?
I was just watchingthis episode last night myself, and I wouldn't mind knowing the words to this song too.

Anyone have them? So Aphrodite and I can learn the song and do a redition together for the annual Fleets Convention???

(just kidding ya there, Aphrodite...)

But seriously, anyone have the words?

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #21
cyfilon
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
Thanks for the info Peter. Dennis played Kip then a member of D squadron. He and Dillon were also friends. Dillon mentions that Kip drew the USSR assignment in the pilot G-1980.
this is the only time on 1980 it is sortof said that the big G has four viper sqrdn;s the daggit's beening the fourth. ps the only other women tbe on both show's was allica on this episode and take the celestria.
and shelia dewhit she was in lost planet and was on the plane in the night the cylon's landed. also zara the newswomen of man with nine lives was the helper for mr brady on finds earth those were the only three women to be on all two shows.

Last edited by cyfilon; November 1st, 2010 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: forgot zara.
cyfilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM   #22
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarika View Post
But seriously, anyone have the words?
The words were interesting weren't they.

I'll see if I can pick them out.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:31 PM   #23
Jubal
Warrior

Ok, have to admit, have not done this since I wrote this. I think I was thinking of the episode where they were singing around the campfire. Anyway, might give this a try soon.

Have to say I really liked this episode. This might sound a bit crazy but I think the show was starting to find it's own steam. They had to re-invent, the actors needed to find their role.

No it was not Apollo and Starbuck but as someone said it was still better than some shows that came along at the time.

Some things that I liked by this point...

1) The need to get more colonists to Earth for integration was starting to happen.
2) The saucer ship was... interesting. Where on Earth did they get that design? Well the inside of the ship was almost TRON looking. Fairly wild looking.
3) The enhanced strength of the colonial people was interesting. At first I thought they were only saying the kids had the added strength, but this episode they show Troy being able to handle two bags of seed with no problem.
4) Yes Troy and Dylan being able to jump 50 feet in the air was interesting, maybe even silly, but after all these years since of watching shows with people with quirks and powers (Charmed, Smallville, etc) it just made for a interesting show of people with quirks trying to understand regular life.
5) This one they introduced new flight helmets? And I thought it was funny how the repair crew person mentioned that Dylan and all had removed the limiters on the Vipers. It gave it that roguish moment that person Troy (Boxey) had learned a thing or two from his dad (Apollo) and Starbuck.

All and all, Troy and Dylan were enjoyable characters. Once I got past missing Hatch and Benedict and started liking McChord and Vandyke I liked the show for it's own quirky own ways. Honestly I wish Troy and Dylan had gotten a full season.

Even Z was getting toned down a bit. He was all knowning, a bit of a snot, but then they have the Starbuck episode where he is less glow, and more of a person trying to find his own identity.

The fact that Z was a light being being raised on Galactica was indeed interesting. (The mother was from another dimension, but I'm having doubts that the father was also of the same light race. Honestly, why would the light race not try to bring one of their own back?)

Boomer heading up the colonists on going to Earth was a nice touch. Boomer was the most sensible of the trio (Apollo, Starbuck, and him), so advancing in responsibility was the logical way for him to go.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote