Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Default How would Galactica fans envision action sequences in a series of BG movies--Draft

I was thinking this, seeing as we've never truly discussed how we'd like to see action sequences in a Galactica movie being movies have changed over the past 10 to 15 years or so.

We've come off trilogies like The Lord Of The Rings, The Matrix and its sequels and Star Wars prequels which all had fantastic action set pieces. And other rather new and creative movies like The Fifth Element, Brotherhood Of The Wolf, The Descent, Kill Bill, The Ring (remake) Casshern, Dark City, Terminator 3, Silent Hill and the recent glut of superheroes movies. These are just some of my examples of films that compared to the past, have made huge leaps and bounds in visual effects and were shot with a certain exotic style that made them stand out as they did when they were all released.

Besides dogfights between Colonial Vipers and Cylon Raiders, and the journey to discover the lost 13th tribe of humanity, exactly how would the fans envision many of the action sequences in a Battlestar Galactica continuation movie. What would you like to see happen in other words?

1) Traveling through hyperspace via a faster than Lightspeed drive or Warp system being acheived in CGI/SFX.

2) Clunky Cylons in futuristic suits looking much akin to Stan Winston's visually formidable and dangerous Terminators?

3) Anykind of "Martial Arts" being used by the Colonial Warrior pilots/infantry or Borellian Nomen on the battle field or one-on-one confrontations with anybody.

4) Far more use of the mythological elements of the TV series being adaptated for the BG movies. I.E. the Von Daniken ideas and ancient Earth history as guides for the colonials to track down Earth via an Indiana Jones style hunt across the galaxy?

5) The Count Iblis and John and The Ships Of Light Demons and Angels motifs from WOTG. Being examined in any possible storyline in the films/sequels much like The Vorlons Vs the Shadows of Babylon 5 angle?

6) Or any other concept from the BG series that wasn't looked at such as; Aliens, Space Pirates, lost colonies/human outposts, the peoples of the rag tag fleet etc.

I know it all depends on the stories, but try to imagine if the fans were in the writing position and the TPTB and the producers of lets say either Richard Hatch's greenlighted proposed "Second Coming BG" project or Tom DeSanto's Galactica got the nod to be theatrical movies with several sequels behind them. now how would you go about creating "action set pieces" and could your original ideas compete with the movies of today? Its one thing to keep saying we want a Galactica continuation. But its not just down to the director, producers and writers. Film production is a whole process, and i was just wondering how mere ideas and concepts became storyboarded to become these multi-million dollar sequences put onto film.

Sci-Fi isn't eaxcly booming right now, and fantasy pictures seem to be coming in at a faster rate in case noboby's paying attention. Sure some sci-fi is still on the way with "The Fountain" and Pulse" coming soon. I of all people know there's no end to storytelling, but box office movies seem to be running low of new ideas after 6 years into the 21st century already. When it comes to science fiction fantasy, has most of the common themes been explored already? War, space dogfight battles, hyperspace travel, shootouts, aliens, robots, intricate stories behind their tales etc...

I tend to turn to more independent flims these days besides a few action blockbusters expected during the summer from hollywood. So if say a Bg movie was greenlighted, what could we see in a movie that we haven't witnessed at all yet? What could possibly be seen in a sci-fi fantasy movie which hasn't been approached before.

Discuss?

I want to know being, if we were all working on an official movie of Battlestar Galactica, exactly what fresh unbias 'fanboy-ish' ideas could we offer up to the filmmakers! Cos i'm certain today you'd need to be very professional and approach movie making with a 'non-nostalgia' filled flick, much akin to Bryan Singer's Superman Returns. Hey it was good but the main critism was way too much love of the 1978 Donner Superman film with one too many references to it etc.

Outline your ideas here folks, lets see if Galactica continuation, could really be an original thought out drafted movie script ready for a movie executive's nod for the greenlight!

KJ
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

Well let this be open for ("Food of thought") discussion as was always intended then!

KJ
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I always thought that a massive ground battle between Colonial Infantry and Cylon Centurions would be a nice touch....done like the opening of Terminator 2....laser battles at night.
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Thank you Martok, your comments are always welcome and are a breath of fresh air.

I've understood that strong powerful story driving the "action sequences", but like any director or writer. You tend to have the visualisation of the action in your head long before the story is actual there and taken any shape or form yet. I made this thread so action junkies alike in us can explore that and wonder what kind of multi-million dollar sequence could be visualised in a Galactica movie.

When you walk out of a theater despite the storyline, what makes you talk about the action/adventure/sci-fi fantasy film you've just witnessed?

THE ACTION SCENES AS WELL AS THE STORY RIGHT!

See, i wanted tons of ideas to be bandied about seeing if fandom should come up with a new fresh idea. sotryboarding theories on what would wow and make audiences drop their jaws in shock or excitment from watching a BG movie. What would entertain audiences today consideriing who fickle people are.

This is what "he who shall not be named" in the original thread did not get at all. And is what i want everybody else to get and understand most of all.

Well for every writer or TOS BG fan out there... name something the orginal series hasn't touched upon or something you'd like to se happen as a action sequence in a BG movie and explain it for us here please.

KJ
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #5
Lara
Squadron Leader

Random thoughts...

Small ship defense capabilities...some of these could be explored in fight sequences, and could use the differences between the colonies as a way to show a range of defensive weaponry and ship abilities. If they were all lame ducks the Cylons would have had them by ep 3, and single seat fighter craft like Vipers can't be the only thing defending 220 assorted ships.

I like the thought of colonial groundforce action: but no Hong Kong wire work stuff, please as that is getting a bit old hat, but there has to be other weapons/equipment that has and would be carried and deployed against Cylons on the ground. We've really only seen the air war and from the fighter squadrons perspective: I would like to see a believable array of military hardware being employed in a hard slog (or as the odd decisive act)

The mythological aspects has plenty of room for movement, and viewers are now well versed in myth with a twist from Stargate, and to a lesser extent Xena and Hercules (altho the latter were often well off the mark in factuals). There are more than the Egyptian mythologies that can be tackled, as the Olmecs, Maya, Incas got a sniff of a mention in the intro: tit is a matter of historical record that white men came across the ocean bearing technology to the ancestors of the Maya and the Inca, and the Olmecs are not a well understood group of people: the whole 'did the egyptians get there" can be echoed in a BSG myth twist.
I know HoG virtually stuck us with post 20th C arrival of the fleet, but I think Earth as the birthplace of mankind and the seeding of Kobol from the ancient peoples by the precursors of the beings from the SoL could fit. (works with their proven meddling nosiness..)

Is this the sort of thought track you are seeking, KJ??

Cheers,
Lara
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the kind word, KJ.

BTW, I have actually implemented a cool ground battle (actually there are a couple of ground battles) in or around Caprica City into my own retelling of Battlestar Galactica, called "The Last Battlestar", but it took place during the day...however, the place could still be considered pretty dark, as there were still many smoldering buildings after the Cylon attack...so you'd probably get that nighttime battle effect I was likening to Terminator 2.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
JSC1
Warrior

In a fanfiction I did I had battallions of Centurions and Trilons (Y-shaped Cylons I thought were part of the DeSanto project-yet revealed to be another joke) march into a city and gun down any humans that they found. This gave a profound sense of evil and menace to them as they gunned down helpless civilians.

One scene in particular had two people begging for their lives before a Centurion and the Centurion just said "Die human!" and obliterated them, just to demonstrate how cold and evil the Cylons could be.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #8
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC1
In a fanfiction I did I had battallions of Centurions and Trilons (Y-shaped Cylons I thought were part of the DeSanto project-yet revealed to be another joke) march into a city and gun down any humans that they found. This gave a profound sense of evil and menace to them as they gunned down helpless civilians.

One scene in particular had two people begging for their lives before a Centurion and the Centurion just said "Die human!" and obliterated them, just to demonstrate how cold and evil the Cylons could be.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
The mythological aspects has plenty of room for movement, and viewers are now well versed in myth with a twist from Stargate, and to a lesser extent Xena and Hercules (altho the latter were often well off the mark in factuals). There are more than the Egyptian mythologies that can be tackled, as the Olmecs, Maya, Incas got a sniff of a mention in the intro: tit is a matter of historical record that white men came across the ocean bearing technology to the ancestors of the Maya and the Inca, and the Olmecs are not a well understood group of people: the whole 'did the egyptians get there" can be echoed in a BSG myth twist.
I know HoG virtually stuck us with post 20th C arrival of the fleet, but I think Earth as the birthplace of mankind and the seeding of Kobol from the ancient peoples by the precursors of the beings from the SoL could fit. (works with their proven meddling nosiness..)

Is this the sort of thought track you are seeking, KJ??

Indeed please let your imagination soar Lara!

I intend to follow up and give out my own ideas somewhat next week. As strange as it sounds, this weekend i'm going to a family wedding of all things!!! Yet still finds the time to post here with you guys (what devotion to the fanbase i've got from time to time eh?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC1

Somethings along that scope yeah. Although the challenge here was to add or come up with new concepts that weren't in the original series of BG, that a grand movie adaptation would use however?

I wanted to know what it would be like if, we were writers/conceptual artists fleshing out action scenes (via any story you've imagined!) for several movie scenes. In other words; The very thing that executives would want to know about when they've read the script or have a vague idea how much money they would spend on an "action set piece" costing millions of dollars etc! I brought up those names of eariler films i listed in my first post as merely examples cos they have a bunch of actions sequences which over the past few years we've heard about costings major amounts of money!

I'm asking how "We'D" visualise anything like that or even how DeSanto, Larson or whomever would approach going about creating all new and original jawdropping action sequences. I ask this cos films are surely running out of ideas (i've seen so many similar rip off stunts in so many other copy cat movies its almost laughable).

Anyways, its one i'll have to discuss next week with you all.

Thanks for sharing those theories though!

KJ
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #10
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

This is a great topic.

Off of the top of my sleepy head, I am thinking that we never saw basic hand to hand combat. We need to see something physical if for no other reason because warriors would be trained for that. The warriors that we saw seemed almost above it and therefore a little unrealistic to some. However, there was a great heroics in that which helped make the show what it was.

Probably when I am awake I will think of examples that counter my thoughts. However, in my sleepiness, this makes sense.

All those people on those ships under those conditions had to make for some heavy stress, which always seems to pit brother against brother. It would also spawn crime. I am sure that there could be some great flight scenes done that involve this sort of thing but do not cheapen Galactica, which is a fear of mine.

Any action scenes need to be intense enough to captivate an audience yet need to have a certain amount of class that is seemingly unique to Galactica. Did that make sense? I think I need to go to bed now.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (We need a sleepy emoticon.)
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #11
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena
This is a great topic.

Off of the top of my sleepy head, I am thinking that we never saw basic hand to hand combat. We need to see something physical if for no other reason because warriors would be trained for that. The warriors that we saw seemed almost above it and therefore a little unrealistic to some. However, there was a great heroics in that which helped make the show what it was.

Probably when I am awake I will think of examples that counter my thoughts. However, in my sleepiness, this makes sense.
Absolutely dear lady it makes great sense!

And i'm glad to hear that the ladies of this fandom have a sense of adventure that the original series didn't get a chance to explore that a grand epic Galactica movie continuation possibly could do?!

And yes surely through subplots you could take a gander at the 'Rag Tag' fleet's lives and wonder how they'd cope with Cylon assaults on the fleet from time to time, and possibly dealing with the death's of loved ones during such chaos caused by all the violence and with internal problems like 'crime rings' and different competing factions within the fleet viing for some small amount of control of some sort ("a piece of the action" if you will?)

Both the Marvel BG comics and Richard Hatch's first 2 Galactica novels touched upon these elements somewhat themselves as well.

The original Star Trek that span off into movies managed to introduce new concepts as well didn't they?

New look Klingons, The Bird of Prey, Star Fleet uniforms etc and generally expand on what came before. If everything was basically an extension of what you saw in the television series, the Trek movies wouldn't have spawned 9 other sequels. So yeah this must surely be a topic of debate in th back of movie producers minds and executives and directors when making a movie based on a TV series.

I'd love to put all kinds of influences in a Galactica movie without making it seem like i'm ripping off other movies/TV series concepts. But at the same time make it feasable for a multiude of established ideas to be blended into a movie and make it all original fresh and adaptable. Thats what i was explaining in the first thread before somebody got the wrong idea about it all. That you can have an idea for a scene you'd like to see in a movie, even though the story isn't fully worked out and outlined in your head yet. Kind of like JMS who thought up Babylon 5 in the shower and came sprinting out and had to write it all down on paper! Or like most cartoonists who are told to keep a diary and write down all their ideas once they come into fruition in their heads etc? Its in that, inwhich you should find new storytelling ideas and conceive "action sequences" within a story and take a guess at what you might want to envision in a movie.

KamikazeAthena has hit upon a beautiful notion of the issue of the Colonial Warriors in Battlestar Galactica. And surely the Warrior's angle. Much like the Borellian Nomen could be fleshed out and made to be far more warrior like in all aspects of 'warfare' in the Galactica universe. Rather than being merely 'fancy flyers' of Colonial Vipers as the guy on Caprica once mentioned in the pilot episode of the series.

I'd like to see in a big screen Galactica movie....

1) More of the mythology of the Colonial's ancient history with the Lords Of Kobol, John and the 'SOL'(ships of light)/Count Iblis arcs being explored.

2) More of the mysterious Borellian Nomen and their people's within the fleet. Surely their numbers have grown by now?

3) Space Pirates. Trust me in science fiction they can fit in mostly anywhere o.k. i don't care what anyone says to the contray alot of sci-fi has 'Space Pirates' so why not within Battlestar Galactica and what not 'another' take on them altogther? If they're human or alien, surely it adds more dynamic to other villains popping up than just the Cylons. Space Pirates descended from the "13th Tribe" could be a good subplot to tell in a movie series.

4) Space travel. Not just the A-typical warping through space but 'what if' like the film "Event Horizon" (a great underated film) the Galactica through upgrades from Dr Wilker warped through "dimensional barriers" into other universes? Or was able travel between the atmostsphere's of planets while being chased or evading enemies during a epic space battle etc. Or much like Star Trek Voyager's vessel or the Enterprise - D's saucer section, had to go planet side and crashland on the surface of a planet/planetoid?

Something for a grandure sakes on the big screen/IMAX etc.

5) Action scenes featuring elaborate stunts with the the main/supporting characters of Battlestar Galactica in situations we've never seen them in or have them partake in with new introduced characters to the BG universe on the big screen!

This is something that fandom should and could aspire to do, a "visual screenplay" almost. To truly flesh out a Battlestar Galactica movie, storyboarded with all kinds of ideas and conceptualised theories on how the action scenes could be accomplished and realised. Tom DeSanto inspired us, so why not us for him now? Or better yet get him to get the fans thinking this way.

Certainly would be a first if fans gave their ideas for a Galactica movie to the studio executives with a visual screenplay instead of mere scripts with words showing the enthusiam fans still have for seeing a BG movie being made.

A little far fetched but i'm reaching just to inspire others here though?

More food for thought hopefully.

Heck most of you Galactica CGI artists here can "Pre-Vis" any of our ideas for action scenes in a possible scripted BG movie anyways

So its another way to approaching this thread's ideas in another artistic method if you so choose! KamikazeAthenacan still have her "Colonial Battlion" of Colonial infantry Warriors taking on the Cylons with cannibalised weapons made from the fleet, for tackling Cylons one-on-one with an "Exo-suit of armor" or futuristic Rail-Guns/Gatling-Guns ballistic weapons etc.

Anyways hope you all can share more stuff, as i hope the field is still open for more concepts even DeSanto might want to borrow or be intrigued by.

KJ

P.S. Oh and my cousin's wedding this weekend was incredible if anybody was curious and wanted to know.

My niece's family is now several times larger, and she practically met everybody and was the little star of the show!

The cake was alright but chunky, and the 'Bride's maids' could really dance at the reception after the wedding. I've never taken so many pictures before or been photographed that much before either. got the whole thing on camcoder, so i'll be away making the happy couple a DVD of their special occasion.

Hope to see more discussions on this thread when i check back in o.k. people.

Laters
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #12
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

KJ,

You might wanna check out some of the chapters in "The Last Battlestar" to see if any of that is what you are talking about.

It's in the fanfic section of this site, Colonial Library, Martok.

There have been many good ideas presented here by many members. Well done.
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #13
KJ
Strike Leader

Thanks for the suggestiion Martok, but the whole point of this thread was to branch away from pacific BG fanfics and try to imagine ourselves storyboarding actual concepts for a movie of Galactica.

Thus in actual fact go beyond the mere fanfic ideas (athough taking a great idea from one and changing it so its more like a screenplay, isn't too bad a though to think about and discuss here?)

Think of the posters here as conceptual artists/writers, working in meetings to share various approaches to doing a movie based on Battlestar Galactica. But not with too much 'nostalgia' peppering our ideas or holding us back. Even for a continuation you couldn't have too much of the same elements from the classic TV show. A whole bunchof new concepts would have to be explored.

Ones DeSanto, Larson and Hatch didn't conceive or come up with.

And to make it very challenging for us as well i.e. the fanbase, ones we haven't touched upon either?! Sorry but sometimes we have to be cruel to ourselves and make it harder to thus more originality will hopefully emerge in the developmental stages.

Fanfiction is based on the workings of the original series. Surely a movie continuation would take the "blueprint" of the series and further it without too much baggage of the classic TV series making the movie out to be a 'homage', rather than a genuine continuation or brand new realised scope with tons of new ideas!

Time we had a different take is all, hope you all can see this from a more creative standpoint so more fresh stories can take shape. I'm not saying old storylines can't be used or brought up and revived for the big screen. But at this stage lets be honest, for any movie or TV series to survive it can't possibly go on the majority of older concepts used years ago by writers rushing out scripts to keep an expensive series on the air during the 78/79 ABC TV season alone?

"Wrath Of Khan" wasn't a rehash of the episode Space Seeds was it? All i'm saying is, find that precious "midddle ground" between fanfiction and fandom debates like this and actual writing for screenplays and try not to think fanfiction per se, and we'll get a different kind of professional storytelling. One that even the most harden studio executives would find impossible to question on a professional level and think major untapped talent for developing movies still exists out there.

Surely you can take that part of my arguement and say to yourself, hey he's right we "NEED" a new angle and could discuss a whole new approach to a possible BG movie outlined and discussed at great length without it seeming like fanfiction blatantly! Hence its term fanfiction, i.e. just for the fans.

Time we thought outside the box for a change and expanded a little?

KJ
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Thanks for the suggestiion Martok, but the whole point of this thread was to branch away from pacific BG fanfics and try to imagine ourselves storyboarding actual concepts for a movie of Galactica.

Thus in actual fact go beyond the mere fanfic ideas (athough taking a great idea from one and changing it so its more like a screenplay, isn't too bad a though to think about and discuss here?)

Think of the posters here as conceptual artists/writers, working in meetings to share various approaches to doing a movie based on Battlestar Galactica. But not with too much 'nostalgia' peppering our ideas or holding us back. Even for a continuation you couldn't have too much of the same elements from the classic TV show. A whole bunchof new concepts would have to be explored.

Ones DeSanto, Larson and Hatch didn't conceive or come up with.

And to make it very challenging for us as well i.e. the fanbase, ones we haven't touched upon either?! Sorry but sometimes we have to be cruel to ourselves and make it harder to thus more originality will hopefully emerge in the developmental stages.

Fanfiction is based on the workings of the original series. Surely a movie continuation would take the "blueprint" of the series and further it without too much baggage of the classic TV series making the movie out to be a 'homage', rather than a genuine continuation or brand new realised scope with tons of new ideas!

Time we had a different take is all, hope you all can see this from a more creative standpoint so more fresh stories can take shape. I'm not saying old storylines can't be used or brought up and revived for the big screen. But at this stage lets be honest, for any movie or TV series to survive it can't possibly go on the majority of older concepts used years ago by writers rushing out scripts to keep an expensive series on the air during the 78/79 ABC TV season alone?

"Wrath Of Khan" wasn't a rehash of the episode Space Seeds was it? All i'm saying is, find that precious "midddle ground" between fanfiction and fandom debates like this and actual writing for screenplays and try not to think fanfiction per se, and we'll get a different kind of professional storytelling. One that even the most harden studio executives would find impossible to question on a professional level and think major untapped talent for developing movies still exists out there.

Surely you can take that part of my arguement and say to yourself, hey he's right we "NEED" a new angle and could discuss a whole new approach to a possible BG movie outlined and discussed at great length without it seeming like fanfiction blatantly! Hence its term fanfiction, i.e. just for the fans.

Time we thought outside the box for a change and expanded a little?

KJ
Aye, believe me, I know precisely whereof ye' speak. The original series is only the foundation....but to go beyond it, to go think "big screen".

For the record, I wasn't really so much suggesting "hey, read my fanfic", as much as it was (perhaps I should've listed the specific chapters) "check out where I wrote the ground battle, and just see if the idea kinda merits where you were thinking."

But yes, the notion that all of us come together, put our heads together, think outside the constraints of the orignal series, and come up with something truly extraordinary on a mental/visual level is indeed intriguing.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #15
KJ
Strike Leader

Hey i still need to read your fanfic dude!

KJ
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Hey i still need to read your fanfic dude!

KJ

When you do read 'em, I hope you enjoy 'em.

BTW, if you want to cut to the part I speak of... go here....

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...tachmentid=421

Upon reading it, it's not quite as epic as I thought it was....but it is still big enough to warrant a big screen appearance.

Respectfully and Appreciatively,
Martok2112
Old August 9th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #17
KJ
Strike Leader

I was actually thinking up and imagining an opening to a BG movie which played out like a set of action sequences from a reintroduction standpoint!

Battlestar Galactica Movie opening scene

Fade in

Que Patrick McNee voiceover explaining the events of mankind from early days on planet Kobol to the exodus and the founding of the 12 colonies of man, to the great war between mankind and the Cylon Empire which waged for 1.000 years! The recount of the final years where the Cylons finally overcame humanity through deception (re-enactment of Baltar's betrayal seen through quick vague images onscreen)

To the grand second exodus of the humans to the stars.......

Credit sequences.

Opening scene begins with a huge Cylon armada raiding a planet, hordes of Cylon Raiders swarm over the planet creating a shadow over it with 6 or so Cylon baseships in orbit taking stratigic flanking positions as we witness the might of the Cylon Empire first hand. We cut to the chamber of the Imperious Leader as he watches the takeover, an I.L. series Cylon walks into his chamber area reporting on the capture of yet another world to a bemused leader who seems bored to tears almost of yet another victory?

Imperious Leader bemoans the fact he wants the last group of human survivors!

Scene cuts to a titanic struggle of wills as we see two Colonial Warriors fighting against a group of Cylons in a rather hellish surroundings of nasty looking jungle filled with all kinds of creatures and obstacles in their path. Its looking like another warzone with Landram's and battllions of Warriors taking out Cylon Centurions everywhere, explosions going off and wave after wave of Cylons still heading towards them.radio chatter is heard as one group of field commander's talk to another in a different part of the battlefield with each other.

In another part of the battlefield several Colonial Warriors are facing off against Cylons in a snowy flat glacier looking area with troops surrounding and closing in on the warriors?

In a another battlefield this time a desert with rock formations and small streams of rivers running around the dry sandy desert in places and several areas throughout. We see two warriors facing off against a mysterious unseen foe who's moving around fast and swiftly for them to hardly keep up pace with their elusive attacker. A voice cries out taunting them to find him? As the warriors dart about looking for a good position suddenly, several "Laser boles" cut down across their path and strike the rocks nearby. smoke and dust arise from the explosion and the warriors scatter still searching for their target.

Finally their target jump out of nowhere's and takes down the colonials in their tracks. A Borellian Nomen!

He moves quickly large as he is, he flawlessly beats down the two warriors before they can draw a breath, however underodgs as they are, they put up a couragous fight none the less forcing the Borellian to workout a little harder trying to defeat them both. He avoid more shots fired from a blaster and throws his "Laser Boles" at the two warriors destroying their lasers with an expert's careful aim and floors one warrior while knocking down the other for good. He begins to take a hunter's type pose over the fallen warrior and is about to deliver the death blow when a voice booms out?

WARGAMES EXERCISE OVER!

The Borellian then extends his hand in a warm gesture and picks up the young Colonial Warrior!

Borellian: You've come along way young blood, but have alot to learn?

As the two of them pick up the other fallen Colonial Warrior the camera angle pan's up to see the sky of the desert change into that of interstellar space and we see the glass dome of the starship that they're in. P.O.V. pans outside and we see that the various battlefields were set on several of the old Agroship's, although they appear to be modified for other things, mainly as a training grounds for Colonial Warriors to practice their battle drills on!

The dome has all kinds of enviroments now, like a forest and river like setting in particular dome, other ones have different settings from each other like a 'snow laced' glaciers etc while others further still have a desert setting, with tribes of Borellian Nomen one for example on them. To ones filled with colonial combat machines like Landrams and Warriors using 'Landprobes' (flying cycles) and jetpacks of all things. Watching the events from a military type chamber somewhere's is a man with heavy look on his face as he scans various battlefields and looks over the Colonial's training on different exercise fronts. All kinds of wild and furious wargames training method's on these grounds having just been finished up, the rather stern faced man stand up and addresses his generals in the conference room after witnessing the trials before them on a holographic display.

This is Commander Apollo!

Apollo: They aren't ready yet!

End of opening thus far.

Thats the outline for the opening. Needs alot of work if i were to take it further, but hopefully thats just a rough idea of what i had in mind and wanted to share with you all so far.

Discuss.

KJ
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #18
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

KJ,

FRACKING SWEET!!!!
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #19
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I can see it in my mind's eye. Well done, KJ!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #20
jjrakman

Couple of things I thought of would be a space dogfight where we'd get to see a kamikazee raider fly into the flight deck.

Also, a dogfight with several vipers and raiders flying near the surface of a planet and doing a kind of slolum between Egyptian style obelisks. Maybe have a raider crash by decapitating a Sphinx.
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #21
KJ
Strike Leader

Thanks guys, as you can see it really needs to be refined somewhat but its one of many images in my head that i'd love to see happen in a Galactica movie.

You get the setup, then a little nod here and there and then the twist revealing whats really going on etc.

Actually i had another opening involving an aged Starbuck like a lone gunfighter breaking up a squabble between a rogueish bunch of Borellian Nomen running amuck on one of the Colonial vessels of the fleet and a semi retired Starbuck hanging around the ship had to break it up before they killed a group of overzealous "Council Security" guys. Other ideas i've had included Starbuck during a dogfight battle running out of power for his laser cannons on his Viper, and had to perform a rescue protecting his wingman thus had to flip over his Viper and open his canopy to use his blaster instead on the attacking Raider (sounds like wild crazy Starbuck thing huh?)

There are others i've got on my mind, major action sequences involving alot of things Galactica based but hardly any story to justify some of them. Although generally the rule of thumb is to have a story, being overly imaginative means sometimes the action for the story is there, but you then need the story to go along with it? If that makes any sense at all.

Those of you that might remember that BG "season by season outline" fanfic idea for a Galactica continuation series i had back in 2002 on the skiffy boards that i posted. I kinda have those thoughts aching for a rebirth of sorts. So if anything i could recycle a few of those concepts and think up ways for them to be in a BG movie that we ALL might work on together here. I remember somebody complimented me saying my idea was almost like Lord Of The Rings set in space kinda?

If so then the mythology of BG should still be intact then. Cos like both the Stargate movie and TV series the Von Daniken influences are a great inspirational standpoint inwhich to imagine new Galactica type stories Larson himself probably wanted BG to spring towards. Perhaps doing that and falling back on the original concepts of the show will allow for new ideas rather than rehashes.

Using the opening of my BG movie as an example. You see how its easy to use the original series as a launch pad for updated concepts, but i'm struggling for all new ones? This is what i want to address. To think outside the box for a change. What else can i do, to fix up/ re-write my BG movie opening if it were to be scripted like that.

Hopefully more food for thought?

Like i said before, perhaps the digital artists of Colonial Fleets could "Pre-Vis" any theories in CGI a short 3 minute sequence thus outlining in actual visual detail how exactly a storyboarded opening event for a big screen Galactica production would kick off. Ya never know some budding movie executive or media news hound might report yet another fan production from the net and turn a few heads to what certain website is up to?

Anyways i'd love to hear everybody else's BG movie outline, loaded with action scenes movie executives and stunt crews would bicker night and day over?

KJ
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #22
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjrakman
Also, a dogfight with several vipers and raiders flying near the surface of a planet and doing a kind of slolum between Egyptian style obelisks. Maybe have a raider crash by decapitating a Sphinx.
Viper Vs Raiders dogfight inside a planet's atmosphere!

Excellent, well said Jjrakman.

See we're getting there folks, come on i know you've all got those theories inside your heads. Let'em fly....er "Launch when ready" i mean.

KJ
Old August 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #23
KJ
Strike Leader

I was thinking, what about other sequences that could evolve from things we've either have or haven't seen from the original series which could very be adapted for Galactica based movie?

In Take The Celestra for example. Cassiopea wanted Starbuck to return his tickets for the theater she was going to, cos he was off to the Celestra to see Aurora? Well we've yet to even get a 'hint' of what a colonial style "Theater" is like in the Battlestar Galactica universe.

Is it men and women in 'Togas'? is it ancient Egyptain, Greek or "other" based dramas played out in the theater? Do Colonials even play out older stories and legends from the era of 'Kobol' or the 12 colonies which is based primarily on OUR ancient legends and myths anyhow!

Heck it could even be a futuristic looking kind of 'shindig' kind of like when Anakin Skywalker and Supreme Chancellor Palpatine were talking at that gathering on courusant theater thingy in Star Wars Episode 3.

What if a BG movie had a huge gathering with all the Colonial tribes getting together to celebrate something during their constant plight from the Cylons. where several subplots could develop or be the melting pot for further storylines to dilvuge while other events are going on. This way we get a look better at colonial culture besides warfare, while the main plot of the film develops and is still ongoing etc.

Food for thought folks?

KJ