Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Review of Justice League Heroes for PS2

VIDEOGAME: JUSTICE LEAGUE HEROES
DEVELOPER: SNOWBLIND STUDIOS
PUBLISHER: WARNER BROS. GAMES
SYSTEMS: PLAYSTATION 2, XBOX, PLAYSTATION PORTABLE (PLAYSTATION 2 VERSION REVIEWED)
RATING: T (TEEN for FANTASY VIOLENCE and MILD LANGUAGE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 or 2

Graphics: 4.5/5
Sound: 5/5
Control: 4.5/5
Story: 4/5
Endorphin Factor: 3.5 /5
Frustration Factor: 4.5 /5

Scoring system:
Average: 4.3 /5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: BALDUR'S GATE, CHAMPIONS OF NORRATH

DETAILS: Snowblind has cranked out a pretty good game here. You get to play as the world's mightiest heroes (at least as far as DC comics are concerned), Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Zatanna (and supposedly some unlockable heroes as well).

The game plays a lot like Baldur's Gate, or Champions of Norrath in that it is an isomeric 3D perspective that you go walking, or flying through in various corridors, streets, what not, and you beat up on bad guys with either brute force, your superpowers, or a combination of both. You and a partner (either A.I., or a human partner in 2 player mode) go on your quest to protect the Earth from evil alien invaders.

Graphically, the game is very nice. The characters look pretty much like their DC comics representations, and the voice acting is also quite good. You do get a sense of power as you unleash each character's various super abilities. You can exhaust your powers quickly, but they restore very quickly. Perhaps the only problem I have so far is that Superman can be all too easilly taken down by lasers, punches, explosions, etc. (Perhaps they are all kryptonite laden.)

So far, my favorite character to use is Zatanna, because she can heal herself and her partner, and she also has a power to turn (gradually) multiple enemies into harmless bunny rabbits for a time, so that your affected enemies' health and stats are considerably reduced, allowing you to defeat them almost effortlessly.

Each character has a host of powers, but only start out with two or three. Powers are increased RPG style. As your character receives experience for destroying each enemy, eventually your character levels up. It is then you can increase either the number of powers you have, or increase the effectiveness of the powers you already possess.

Powers and abilities are enhanced by applying points to your skills. The more points you apply to a given power, the more enhancement "boosts" you can give it, thus increasing that power's effectiveness. The powers are also modular, in that you can switch out current "boosts" for each power with others. This allows the character a great deal of flexibility when using your super powers.

I've only played through the first couple of levels, and like Champions or Baldur's Gate, I've really enjoyed this game. I am anxious to see what all characters are unlockable. I will also be picking up the PSP version of this game, because it will have Supergirl as an unlockable. (I just love controlling hot chicks in videogames. )

Control is very responsive, and does not take long to figure out at all. In no time, you will be fighting like a real superhero.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are a fan of these DC heroes, you cannot go wrong with this game. Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath fans will find much familiarity in the mechanics of Justice League Heroes.
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:55 AM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

Great review Martok!

Might download a torrent for this game and try it out before buying it official like.

Can you build and create your hero or villain though? I figure since DC must have a wealth of heroes and villains they couldn't add in this title. That you yourself could make them up in a "custom character" section of the game.

Too bad the game wasn't developed or made in Japan though. I've seen some cutscenes and western made 3D games always lack the fine definition of the Japanese games far as video game cutscenes go? Ah well, i hope its technically sound far as playability goes, cos games have longer lastability if they are actually worth playing. Most games tend to fade after a few months after release cos they aren't as good as the hype makes out.

Will you be reviewing 'Superman Returns' the video game as well Martok?

KJ
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Great review Martok!

Might download a torrent for this game and try it out before buying it official like.

Can you build and create your hero or villain though? I figure since DC must have a wealth of heroes and villains they couldn't add in this title. That you yourself could make them up in a "custom character" section of the game.

Too bad the game wasn't developed or made in Japan though. I've seen some cutscenes and western made 3D games always lack the fine definition of the Japanese games far as video game cutscenes go? Ah well, i hope its technically sound far as playability goes, cos games have longer lastability if they are actually worth playing. Most games tend to fade after a few months after release cos they aren't as good as the hype makes out.

Will you be reviewing 'Superman Returns' the video game as well Martok?

KJ
Thanks, KJ.

Sadly, no, you cannot build your own hero.....but the heroes you do work with are upgradable ala RPG styled upgrading. As you progress through the game, you acquire experience points and also "boosts" which augment your powers. Some powers you have to unlock by applying a power point. Otherwise, you can increase your current powers rank by applying a power point (up to a maximum rank of 5.) Boosts (such as speed, efficiency, range, damage, and luck) augment these powers. You can create higher quality boosts by mixing two or three different types (or similar types) of boosts which increase your abilities.

The CGI cutscenes are alright, but I'll agree that they're not quite as good as some Japanese cutscenes in terms of quality. The voice acting is superb...and quite what one would expect from a game that was somewhat based on the JL cartoons. (The game scenario was apparently written by a Justice League story writer.)

The game's characters are also not voiced by the cartoon series' actors....but they do sound similar enough.

I will most likely be reviewing Superman Returns soon. I still have yet to review my other purchase from last week: Bully.

Thanks again for the kind word, KJ.

Martok2112
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Rats, bet the sequel will include a custom system alright though. Think about it? Games like these always get upgraded sequel titles, think; Halo2, Star Wars Battlefronts 2 etc. Certainly would've made this title a must have and much better in terms of quality than that crappy and very overly cliched... "City Of Heroes" game.

Can i ask if Captain Marvel is present in the game in some capacity, and what about the villains?

KJ
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Rats, bet the sequel will include a custom system alright though. Think about it? Games like these always get upgraded sequel titles, think; Halo2, Star Wars Battlefronts 2 etc. Certainly would've made this title a must have and much better in terms of quality than that crappy and very overly cliched... "City Of Heroes" game.

Can i ask if Captain Marvel is present in the game in some capacity, and what about the villains?

KJ

You can ask.
Just kidding.

Captain Marvel isn't present in any incarnation that I am aware of....but he could be present in a sequel.

Villains, same deal.

I haven't had a lick o' luck finding the PSP version of JLH. But then again, I haven't gone back to GameStop either, where I was told the game was coming out the day after its console release. I will go back when I get my call for Star Trek: Tactical Assault for the PSP.
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #6
KJ
Strike Leader

Well i've been playing it for a week or so now and its kinda good. Although once again games like these have poor controls. The game's got a good stroyline so far, but i wonder?

Is there plenty to unlock, so far story mode **HAS** to be followed in order to play as different teammates on a particular mission etc. Batman and Superman make a good team but Brainiac makes for a weird first boss character to overcome. Facing off against "Queen Bee" second the fact that she's probably the best boss in the game. I like how they've designed her stage and how the game makes it hard to overcome her with The Martian Manhunter and Zatanna. You need tactics to overcome her hive drones and multiple 'stinger' attacks and combos etc.

So far i've reached "The Key" with Flash and Green Lantern, now the game gets really frustrating. As Flash and Lantern are probably the most flashest characters but not the most powerful or blanaced team in the game. As their level has more powerful foes and the level's are designed to be tougher to overcome.

This good game lacks the ability to choose your own teamates from the start, as it would add another factor to the playability of the title in general. And you should be able to overcome and unlock certain parts of the game through general basic gameplay.

Facing "The Key" is a piss take with Flash and Lantern (after breakin down that hard ass door) as you have barely 2 minutes to beat him and unlock a room with scientists held prisoners etc.

So Martok any secrets i should know about at this stage? Can you unlock other JLA characters before hand and choose many alternate and different routes to progess in this game at all?

Its a fair title so far, but this is what i fear about PS2 titles. They mostly pander down to only minor gamers and teenagers with annoying features and hardly any real depth. This being a JL title allowing you to play as characters from the animated series and comc book, is the only thing that stops this game from being complete crap as it has something? I only wish i knew what that 'something' was though.

And i'll say it again, "Queen Bee" is a great boss. I'd hope all the villains are unlockable and usable too, but i doubt it unfortunately! So is "The Key" also a great boss, but the timer on his stage is a "piss take" to the extreme and the only reason he is tough to beat.

I've yet to really try out Marvel Ultimate Alliance. But i will do so, and give a report on it later. As i will with Robotech: Battlecry for the PS2 soon enough.

Laters

KJ

P.S. I'd really like to see somebody "hack" this game and turn it into somthing else with far more options etc. Perhaps there are some decent "Action Replay" codes out there for JLA Heroes?
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Howdy, amigo.

I haven't fully beaten the game yet, but you can unlock other characters with points you purchase. The only problem is, during the first playthrough (as I am aware) you can only choose other characters during missions that allow you to configure your teams. I don't know if on a second playthrough whether or not you can freely choose any character you've purchased on any given mission.

That's all that the Mighty Martok knows at this point.

I've not seen any "alternate" routes toward mission goals either. It's pretty straightforward.

Many of the unlockables are actually alternate versions of current characters. (Wonder Woman has a short toga outfit, Superman has a different outfit, with different powers, Green Lantern has the Hal variant, but there is also Green Arrow and several other unlockable characters.)

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #8
KJ
Strike Leader

Thanks anyways Martok!

KJ