Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #1
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Default Just got the Unofficial BSG Companion

Overall, I like it, despite some typos scattered throughout the book. It has a unique insight into the development of the original series, and even goes so far as exploring G1980, Buck Rogers and the new series scheduled for release in December. It also did a pretty good job citing various inconsistencies in the "astro physics" used in the show, such as a problem with the terms "galaxy" versus "star system" and the interchangable use of units of measure and other scientific faux-pas' used as throw-away plot devices, such as the Galactica's use of missiles, projected shield systems and the mysterious "stun setting" on personal laser pistols. It's too bad that there was never a second season, as I recall mention of Larson trying to employ the services of Isaac Azimov as a scientific consultant. That would have, no doubt, solved many of their technical issues.

A few questions:

1. What are the bizarre symbols seen in the early pages of the book next to character names? Case in point, three spots on page 75 at the beginning of Chapter 3 in the Adama section. There is a mention of Hebrew, but those are certainly not Hebrew glyphs. It looks like there was a last-minute change-over to Zapf Dingbats. Did the printers who made the book not have a Hebrew font? The same weirdness can be seen in Dr. Salik's section on page 101, again with a reference to a "distinct Semetic flavor".

2. Page 68 (and others), I always thought it was the Battlestar Rycon, not Reichon. What is the correct spelling from original scripts?

3. Why so many typos and informational errors? Was this book rushed into print that much?
a. Page 67 - "The only canonical information on the names of the Battlestars list only five...Galactica...Atlantia...Columbia...Pegasus...Reichon". What ever happened to the inter-fleet communication mentionings of Battlestars in Star World during the first Cylon attack such as Acropolis, Triton and Pacifica. And didn't the original script mention that Adama and Tigh originally served on the Bellerephon (intentionally mispelled)?
b. Page 89 - John Colicas? Not Colicos?
c. Page 94 - Jolly is mentioned as a Lieutenant. Was he not a Flight Sergeant?
d. Page 95 - Under the Etymology for Lucifer, it says, "The name of the brightest angel in Heaven before his rebellion against God, when he became called Satan." Without getting into the grammar of this sentence, I've read various works stemming from the ancient Kaballists, where the term "Lucifer", while meaning "Illumined One" or "Bright One", was NOT referred to as Satan until the King James Bible was printed after generations of mis-translations. Lucifer was merely one of the angels that faught against God's Host in the army of Satan. Satan's name back then was equivalent to "Samael". "Baal", or "Bael" is another mistaken equivalent of Satan. At least, this is what I've read in the past.
e. Page 168 - The rank difference between Adama and Cain was actually explained in an earlier episode (either Starworld or Lost Planet) when Apollo referred to Adama as "Commander-in-Chief". This would imply that Adama is the top military commander of all fleets and the President is the top civilian commander. Whereas Cain was the commander of a single ship or a smaller sub-fleet, Adama was in charge of anything and everything military, which is why Cain deferred to him so quickly.
f. Page 153 - Re: Lucifer: "He also displays his
programming for deceit again as he suggests that Baltar and he dream
up a 'solid front to explain this to Barcol, to the Imperious leader.'" Who is Barcol? I think he meant to say "solid front to explain this debacle to the Imperious Leader"?
g. Page 170 - Re: the Pegasus logos - the sword-with-wings logo is a Korean War-era patch used by joint Army and Air Force ground forces called "Special Category Army With Air Force", or "SCARWAF". The helmets did not have the symbol of a scorpius, but that of the front-half of a winged "Pegasus"-like horse.
h. There were a number of other minor spelling mistakes throughout the book, but I'm not that petty.

...To name a few...

Comments, thoughts?
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:33 AM   #2
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Interested...

I am very interested in getting this book, is it a good buy?? Should I get it???

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 09:25 AM   #3
crash4587
Bad Email Address

How can I get one?
crash4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #4
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Default Re: Interested...

Quote:
Originally posted by Charybdis
I am very interested in getting this book, is it a good buy?? Should I get it???
Aside from the few questions I have above it is a fabulous book! I highly recommend it to all fans of the show. I've just merely scratched the surface with a cursory flip-through. What I've seen is most impressive.
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #5
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by crash4587
How can I get one?
When last I hgeard, PayPal payments can be sent to Scifitvbooks@aol.com at $26.99 with shipping.

Email Scifitvbooks@aol.com to let him know that you sent payment and include your complete address.

I was on the pre-order list and got mine right away. Whoever they are, they're quick about it!
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #6
JLHurley
Warrior

Anyone know if it will be offered at Amazon.com or anywhere that just takes a credit card # to complete the order?
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #7
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

137th Gebirg

Just a bit useless trivia for you. But did you know that the Turkish name for Satan is actually Shataan. So one could say that Sci Fi Channel has Shataan or is that indeed Sh_t On Galactica fans.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #8
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Book

I just got an email back from Richie Levine and he quoted me a price of $19.99 plus $7.25 shipping. That would make the total $27.24...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #9
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BSG_Sci_FiPulse
137th Gebirg

Just a bit useless trivia for you. But did you know that the Turkish name for Satan is actually Shataan. So one could say that Sci Fi Channel has Shataan or is that indeed Sh_t On Galactica fans.
I did not know that! Yes, very appropriate indeed!