Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Battlestar Galactica 1978 AICN Reports on possible TOS Continuation Movie (original post 06-28-05)

A new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Feature Film?

Caution: Do *NOT* read the "Readers Talkback" section if you wish to avoid the arguments.

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Wow!

From Glen Larson to KingJason to the Cylon Alliance to AICN and now here...how fast news travels!

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I'll believe it when i see it.

Old June 28th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I have been burned too many times over the years to take anything to be optimistic over something like this. And if Larson is doing this, all I can say is, he'd better have a better story idea than what was attached to his name in the past.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #5
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
And if Larson is doing this, all I can say is, he'd better have a better story idea than what was attached to his name in the past.
Eric this is one of the major reasons he still hasn't gone anywhere with Galactica. He's got this thing about the Pegasus that he will not let go of. That's been his downfall from the begining.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

If he's sticking to that idea, he will never have my support.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I don't begrudge Larson the Pegasus story but, not right now. It's way too soon for that storyline. He needs to focus on the Galactica and RTF. THEN, for a second or maybe third movie, bring out the Pegasus. There's a whole lotta story to tell before we see the Pegasus again.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #8
nextceo
Bad Email Address

To me this is a major problem with TOS and Galactica in general, no matter what people do, there will be those who hate it because it isn't what they want. I personally think that Larson would get more viewers with a Galactica story not a Pegasus story, but he is the series creator.

Its just like the DeSanto production, there were a lot of people who did not like it either (although no where near as many who do not like the Larson - Pegasus idea. You might as well call it Battlestar Pegasus). Seems like the most support was for an idea like The Second Coming, although there are those who blast Hatch for not keeping the proper continuity. It seems like no matter what is done, there will be people who are unhappy.
nextceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #9
gmd3d
Major

Most people want a Galactica story and not a Pegasus in my thinking I want Galactica.

But it good news lets hope

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #10
Senmut
Strike Leader

Well, in a yahren or so, we'll see, won't we?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #11
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
Well, in a yahren or so, we'll see, won't we?
Yes we will.......good point. I do think that the majority of fans can be happy with a Galactica story............we are no different then any other sci-fi fandom as far as having different ideas for what we want.....look at Trek or Star wars...........
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #12
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Good points Juli.

Problem for me is that these writers come up with great stories but along the way the seem to *F* them up.

It's like taking a test, choosing and answer, erasing it and putting something else. Go with what you first came up with and ride that silver dollar all the way to hollywood. Quit second guessing what you have right in front of you.

Old June 29th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #13
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

First, Larson needs to remember its called Battlestar Galactica. It is the story of The Rag-Tag fleet being guided by the Galactica to Earth. Hell, even Moore got that part right. Also keep in mind we are getting an AWSOME Pegasus multi-part episode later this year

Second, there was a lot of support for DeSantostar Galactica and had it been aired would be doing much better than a 2.7 share.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #14
Lurkerzrule
Shuttle Pilot

Default Fingers Crossed

I truely hope this comes to pass.

It has been 20+ years since anything has been done with TOS. Is there any reason Larson (or Moore for that matter) will not enlist the help of some of the more learned members of this fandom to consult with before creating and writing something that is going to completely go against the feel and premise of the original. ( And no I don't want the 70's feel, but if I don't get a haircut soon I'll will fit right in with the 70's crowd )

Oh well, at least I got the ole' cylon head to grace my dvd player until I see if anything happens with this story.

Great Info.
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #15
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
Good points Juli.

Problem for me is that these writers come up with great stories but along the way the seem to *F* them up.

It's like taking a test, choosing and answer, erasing it and putting something else. Go with what you first came up with and ride that silver dollar all the way to hollywood. Quit second guessing what you have right in front of you.

So true.........
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #16
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Second, there was a lot of support for DeSantostar Galactica and had it been aired would be doing much better than a 2.7 share
I still can't believe how close we got only to have disaster happen.

Truely a very disappointing setup. PLUS the financial backing was a lot stronger with FOX than the scifi channel.
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #17
Fragmentary

This would mean more if Larson would stop making the same statement at every single public appearance that he makes, year after year. I'll be alot more impressed when this news comes out of the mouth of a new producing partner with some actual pull in Hollywood. At this point, I seriously doubt Larson could still a get a TV show on the air, much less something into theaters.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #18
CommanderTaggart
Warrior

Colonial Fan ForceFounder/President
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Webmaster (Retired)
Laurette Spang.com

Quote:
I still can't believe how close we got only to have disaster happen.
I hear you, brother. These GINO-heads will never, ever understand that.
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #19
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

I remember listening to Tom DeSanto discuss how excited he was to finally bring Galactica to the screen the way it should have always been.

As many of you have heard over and over his panel at Galacticon had everyone including yours truely on the edge of there seat when he explained his series bible. Yes he had the first year already written and rough drafts of the first 5 years. It truely was both a glorious and sad day for me.

But we did get to have a round table with him in the hotel lobby until 2 am! He is truely a great sport.

Thanks Tom.

Old June 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #20
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Quote:
I remember listening to Tom DeSanto discuss how excited he was to finally bring Galactica to the screen the way it should have always been...his panel at Galacticon had everyone including yours truely on the edge of there seat
I was nearly in tears no kidding. To see what I wanted for 25 years and know it will never happen.

Quote:
But we did get to have a round table with him in the hotel lobby until 2 am! He is truely a great sport.
That also finally seeing The Second Coming was worth the $300 pass price and drive half way accross the country.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #21
nextceo
Bad Email Address

WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTaggart
Many of us understand, particularly those of us who were involved in trying to get a continuation. It frustrates me that many TOS only fans like to put TNS fans into some little box as if we hate TOS and don't want a continuation. That couldn't be farthest from the truth.
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #22
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTaggart
Precisely Nextceo.
Who exactly is this comment supposed to be in reference to? Members at another board perhaps? The percentage of TNS fans who aren't also TOS fans here at Fleets is incredibly tiny. The vast majority of our membership that enjoy the new series also enjoy the old. GINO-heads here at Fleets understand all of that very well. Comments like this only serve to be dismissive of their place in the TOS fandom. Liking the new show, doesn't negate their passion for the old one.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #23
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Hmmmm.....I love Original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and still support the idea of a continuation movie.

I love New BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and support its continuing episodes on the air.

Last time I checked...that made me a BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FAN.

I think the good Commander may have simply been referring to those TNS fans who do nothing but blast, or disregard the original show. I hope I am correct in that assessment. However, if all fans of TNS (regardless of whether or not they still love the original show) are being lumped as so called "GINO-heads" then

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #24
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

As I stated at CA-

The best way to keep Larson going on this is to keep reminding him of THIS time frame he mentioned.

So wherever he makes appearances, there need to be TOS fans as well to bring it up.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #25
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

GINO heads can also be a term to quite tellingly refer to the people responsible for the production of GINO, and I think its safe to say that we know that the last thing they would ever have any reason to give support to is a TOS project, especially given the open disdain held for TOS by the people responsible for GINO.

Within the Commander's definition it also refers to the kind of person I knew at a list I no longer belong to. Someone who insisted that all of Galactica fandom *must* embrace TNS/GINO because it's all we've got left, and that there is no way TOS ever could have been continued at all etc. etc. etc.

As for Larson, hearing him make another promise of some project for the umpteenth time in the last decade with no results either tangible or worth pursuing based on his story ideas floated before, instantly makes me want to cue up Jerry Orbach from the cast album of the 1968 Broadway musical "Promises, Promises" when he rips into the title song:

"Promises, promises, I'm all through with promises, promises now!"

RESULTS, Glen. Give us RESULTS and I'll stop being so cynical, but you've burned us once too many times already to think you can immediately inspire confidance with this.

Old June 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #26
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sept17th
I was nearly in tears no kidding. To see what I wanted for 25 years and know it will never happen.

That also finally seeing The Second Coming was worth the $300 pass price and drive half way accross the country.
You were down in the lobby too?

Oh, well. My hubby deserved some time that weekend! Now I can be insanely jealous of one other person I know!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #27
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
GINO heads can also be a term to quite tellingly refer to the people responsible for the production of GINO, and I think its safe to say that we know that the last thing they would ever have any reason to give support to is a TOS project, especially given the open disdain held for TOS by the people responsible for GINO.

Within the Commander's definition it also refers to the kind of person I knew at a list I no longer belong to. Someone who insisted that all of Galactica fandom *must* embrace TNS/GINO because it's all we've got left, and that there is no way TOS ever could have been continued at all etc. etc. etc.
Eric, Taggart's referrence, nextceo's reply and Frag's reply had NOTHING to do with you or this thread.

From what I quoted, all I see is someone trying to fuel some fire that isn't there.

Refrain from doing that please.

TO EVERYONE- Keep it ON subject. There is no need to "classify" anyone on this thread subject, as the subject of this thread has nothing to do with "fan classificiation".
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #28
nextceo
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
If you go over to CFF you will see that RDM is a financial contributor.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #29
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

nextCEO, please refer to my post to Eric, only sub your name for him and his name for you.

Thanks.
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #30
KJ
Strike Leader

Cool

Haven't been here in a while have i?

Hi everyone (mainly to those i don't see over at cylon.org)

Yep, the Larson thing got its doubts packaged along with everything we do want of of a Galactica movie revival. I kinda wished i asked about the CFF thing and bought my magazine with th ad to show Glen Larson what fans like me want to see out of him owning the film copyrights to a Battlestar Galactica film franchise.

Guess that slipped my mind when i rushed out the house to go to the convention.

Then again it was a signing not a Q&A. although i heard there was one on Saturday. So unless you went to that, you'd be stuck with just asking a few questions like i did and buying an autograph from old Glen. Who, say what you want is a gentlemen in real life.

Some of you mouthing off about him even for justified reasons, wouldn't be able to act that way towards him in real life with all the frustrations. Sure ask him your burning questions and his ability to actually do something that has always been in doubt since 1993 as you all say. But the man responsible for even doing BG got more of my respect than Ronald D Moore, Bonnie Hammer and David Eick who "shat" on most TOS fans dreams of seeing a continuation revival happen after Singer and DeSanto's Galactica was over. And should have been continued instead.

I even just got a reply e-mail from dark horizon's Garth Franklin after i sent an e-mail to him about last Sunday's events. he pretty much said what some of you have said. (is he a closet BG fan?) Yes he is in a way? And he too doubts Larson's ability to pull this off.

Can't say i blame you.

But i wouldn't be so vocal about it. If larson's agents or friends were watching let him se that your discussing ways to go about it rather than hearing your all against him cos.

1) His Battlestar Pegasus idea didn't pan out.

2) Or his Battlestar Atlantis trailer idea for the IMAX

Guess with time we all change. My perspective maybe different cos i now have met him close up. And BG wasn't the only series he did that i enjoyed.

All i'm saying is. Think on this but don't go all 'ape' over it in a negative way that alienates any possible reason why Glen Larson shouldn't try yet again to get a Battlestar Galactica off the ground that could possibly kickstart a movie franchise for the TOS Galactica in the long run.

While i kick myself for forgetting to tell him to hook up with Tom DeSanto in a producers role. And do Galactica together. Its something we all should push for now being he has said it to some extent and is now being put in a position more or less by his own admission to do this within 18 months?

Think on these things please.

Guess an upcoming letter writing campaign may begin soon again eh?

KJ